2022 Ford Lightning

21,638 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AggieMPH2005
easttexasaggie04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This truck is perfect for our operations. We own a machine shop and our trucks go to stores to pick up supplies or the scrap yard to dump metal. We could charge them at night and they'd be ready to roll the next day.
TxAggieBand85
AG
Took it to Forum 16. I will learn where I am wrong at so many levels,
[url=https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3201265][/url]

Electric Vehicles vs. Petro

------------

I agree with most of what you've stated, just am astounded at the fast movement toward alternative fuels.

The C6 Z06 is one of my favorites. Was about to buy one, but commute is way too long for it.
aggieforester05
AG
TxAggieBand85 said:

Took it to Forum 16. I will learn where I am wrong at so many levels,

Electric Vehicles vs. Petro

------------

I agree with most of what you've stated, just am astounded at the fast movement toward alternative fuels.

The C6 Z06 is one of my favorites. Was about to buy one, but commute is way too long for it.
Responded there, hope you don't take it as anything personal. I'm very passionate about my dislike of the current crop of Democrats.

I do hope we keep moving forward with alternative energies and keep our options open. What I don't want is government regulations that limit our ability to purchase what we want.

Agreed on the C6 Z06! I want at least one 400+ CI V8 performance car in my life and that car fits the bill perfectly. I have a 392 Challenger right now that is close and the torque is fantastic. I reference the C6 ZR1, because although I've never driven one, from the videos, it seems like one of the rawest and most fun vehicles ever made. I'd have a hard time choosing between that and the Z06.
Ferg

This company in San Francisco has developed a process to swap out the battery for a fully charged one in 10 minutes. I guess the EV makers will have to design compatibility in.

https://observer.com/2021/04/ample-electric-vehicle-battery-swap-startup-recharging/#:~:text=Drivers%20with%20supported%20electric%20vehicles,batteries%20are%20the%20new%20gas.
aggieforester05
AG
Ferg said:

This company in San Francisco has developed a process to swap out the battery for a fully charged one in 10 minutes. I guess the EV makers will have to design compatibility in.

https://observer.com/2021/04/ample-electric-vehicle-battery-swap-startup-recharging/#:~:text=Drivers%20with%20supported%20electric%20vehicles,batteries%20are%20the%20new%20gas.

Swappable battery packs make a lot of sense. You could pay a monthly fee and/or swap fee to get a new pack at gas stations on the go from a national vendor. Standardize the battery pack for different size vehicles to make it feasible.
EMY92
AG
I disagree on swappable battery packs being feasible. You'd have to have several different sizes, then, imagine how many would have to be stocked to swap the number of batteries that a standard gas station would fill cars in an hour or two. If you had to stock 400 batteries, that would require serious space.

Then, it would need serious power to each site for rapid charging.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
5th wheel on front....poppin frunk
Flaith
one MEEN Ag
AG
I also disagree with swappable battery packs.

Lithium ion batteries need to be handled with great care so they don't puncture and vent (fireball). I'm sure the f150 is going to armor the absolute crap out of that battery bottom. So there's going to be an armored cage to deal with, potential cooling loops and then the electrical disconnects.

Its going to be on the same time commitment as an oil change. You go in, pay, sign your life away, wait 30 minutes and then drive out thinking something is now wrong with your car.

Also, those battery packs over their life won't be created equal. There is going to be a 'drive it like a rental' mentality from the consumers as well as a 'who gives a ****' mentality from those replacing the batteries. Not a good combo.

For all that work, the battery will have been charged up to 70% anyway just plugging it into a quick charging outlet.
AggieMPH2005
Paid my reservation fee today. I have been looking pretty hard at adding an electric vehicle because I can charge for free at work, I have a pretty decent commute (30 miles each way) and can take advantage of the tax credit.

Was interested in the Mach e but I tabled that when we went from a 2 kid household to 3 earlier this year. This really checks all the boxes of what I want in an electric vehicle except the range is a little on the lower side of what I had hoped for. I will probably keep my gas truck for running to the deer lease and long distance towing and have this for everything else.
Frok
AG
EMY92 said:

I disagree on swappable battery packs being feasible. You'd have to have several different sizes, then, imagine how many would have to be stocked to swap the number of batteries that a standard gas station would fill cars in an hour or two. If you had to stock 400 batteries, that would require serious space.

Then, it would need serious power to each site for rapid charging.

It would be like the cage of propane tanks in front of HEB with a kids shaking each one to see which one actually have fuel in it
lb3
AG
Swapable battery packs are a no go for me. If you purchase a car with a $15,000 battery that you baby and has 300 cycles on it then go on a road trip and swap it with a battery that has been max charged and has 4,200 cycles, you just depreciated your car by about $12,000.
aggieforester05
AG
lb3 said:

Swapable battery packs are a no go for me. If you purchase a car with a $15,000 battery that you baby and has 300 cycles on it then go on a road trip and swap it with a battery that has been max charged and has 4,200 cycles, you just depreciated your car by about $12,000.
I'm thinking of more of a model, where you don't necessarily even buy your car with a battery pack. You pay a subscription fee, lease fee, or rental fee and a vendor (ex. Shell, Exxon, Mobil) provides you with battery packs. They can have a base fee or usage fee or a combination to adjust for the energy usage of different drivers. They could even add a road tax on to the latter, which could even be metered when you're plugged in to your home power station for recharge.

You pull up to the station, they pull out one pack and swap in a new one and you're back on the road. The battery packs are smart enough that they can give both your car and the station vendor self diagnostics to make sure you're not getting a bad pack or cell that's going to leave you stranded. The packs are modular and stackable, so different configurations can be easily loaded into different vehicles. The battery swaps could even be automated with onsite robotics. Maybe your vehicle could even be drivable with say two bad packs out of ten.

This of course would be more feasible with better battery technology resulting in smaller packs.
JSKolache
AG
Swappable batteries are taking off for the motorcycle market, but 4-wheelers are just too challenging thus far

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/motorcycle-news/swappable-electric-battery-consortium/
Buck Compton
AG
Why would a company want changeable batteries when battery technology is half the way they're going to differentiate themselves?

Same battery means same range and power for the most part. There isn't going to be that big of a difference if motors or aerodynamics. Why would any company want it standardized. Not to mention the issues from a consumer standpoint when your mileage is 400 miles one battery pack and 300 the next cause you got the worm down piece of *****
cav14
So MKBHD revealed an important detail from Ford that the quoted 300 mile range is EPA esimated with 1000 pounds in the bed. During his time with the Lightning which had an empty bed, it was saying it had around 367 miles at 80% battery. That would put the theoretical max range on an empty bed at over 450 miles potentially in ideal driving conditions. I can't wait for this to come out so people can do real world range test with it.

Buck Compton
AG
cav14 said:

So MKBHD revealed an important detail from Ford that the quoted 300 mile range is EPA esimated with 1000 pounds in the bed. During his time with the Lightning which had an empty bed, it was saying it had around 367 miles at 80% battery. That would put the theoretical max range on an empty bed at over 450 miles potentially in ideal driving conditions. I can't wait for this to come out so people can do real world range test with it.

The old "underpromise and overdeliver" ploy if true.

evan_aggie
AG
This wouldn't hurt. Not to go F16 on this thread, but the extra $2500 for union labor force cracks me up.

"The total eligible amount for an EV purchase climbs to $12,500, though much of that amount is meant to incentivize automakers to build more EVs in America, and with union labor. That's where the catch comes in: While the $7,500 tax credit remains in this bill, the legislation promises an additional $2,500 if final vehicle assembly occurs in the US. Yet another $2,500 applies if a union represents the plant's workforce, though the bill doesn't state that it has to be in the US."

" The F-150 Lightning, however, would receive the full $12,500, since it checks every box. As for Tesla, it would earn partial credit for assembling the Model Y and Model 3 in the US, though its workforce is not unionized."
planoaggie123
AG
evan_aggie said:

This wouldn't hurt. Not to go F16 on this thread, but the extra $2500 for union labor force cracks me up.

"The total eligible amount for an EV purchase climbs to $12,500, though much of that amount is meant to incentivize automakers to build more EVs in America, and with union labor. That's where the catch comes in: While the $7,500 tax credit remains in this bill, the legislation promises an additional $2,500 if final vehicle assembly occurs in the US. Yet another $2,500 applies if a union represents the plant's workforce, though the bill doesn't state that it has to be in the US."

" The F-150 Lightning, however, would receive the full $12,500, since it checks every box. As for Tesla, it would earn partial credit for assembling the Model Y and Model 3 in the US, though its workforce is not unionized."

Disappointing. That kind of garbage makes me never want to purchase an electric vehicle. Cannot support an industry driven by Government Tax Incentives. Hopefully conservatives will realize this nonsense and re-thing decisions to further feed the Government beast by buying these cars...
AggieFrog
AG
planoaggie123 said:

evan_aggie said:

Disappointing. That kind of garbage makes me never want to purchase an electric vehicle. Cannot support an industry driven by Government Tax Incentives. Hopefully conservatives will realize this nonsense and re-thing decisions to further feed the Government beast by buying these cars...
So you just ignore the tax subsidies and incentives given to the oil and gas industry?
planoaggie123
AG
I will do 1 post on this but dont want to turn this into business or politics....that was my fault...when you look at entities like Tesla with $500M in regulatory credit sales in Q1 you have to scratch your head. They would have had a loss w/o those credits coming in. Pretty sure they never would have a profit without those but i wont dig around too much.

Also dont pretend to know all the incentives for all companies but i do believe most O&G incentives are deductions vs credits. I would be a fan of just lowering taxes for all and not providing any form of credits and let companies survive based on their own free-market profitability.

Could be 100% wrong but many O&G companies, without the tax incentives, historically would probably turn profits. What we see now seems to be government providing credits that make something that loses money now somehow earn profit...
AggieFrog
AG
planoaggie123 said:

I will do 1 post on this but dont want to turn this into business or politics....that was my fault...when you look at entities like Tesla with $500M in regulatory credit sales in Q1 you have to scratch your head. They would have had a loss w/o those credits coming in. Pretty sure they never would have a profit without those but i wont dig around too much.

Also dont pretend to know all the incentives for all companies but i do believe most O&G incentives are deductions vs credits. I would be a fan of just lowering taxes for all and not providing any form of credits and let companies survive based on their own free-market profitability.

Could be 100% wrong but many O&G companies, without the tax incentives, historically would probably turn profits. What we see now seems to be government providing credits that make something that loses money now somehow earn profit...
I agree by and large, but my point was that both industries have historically received targeted assistance by governmental policy. I also understand the desire to help speed the move away from Oil and Gas for both long term environmental and strategic reasons, but I also think in the end it will be consumers who drive it due to better technology and convenience at comparable or lower price (which it will reach eventually). I highly doubt we see the end of all combustion engines by 2035 - there will still be some applications for which it still makes most sense. But I can forsee that a large percentage of vehicles will go electric-only, particularly in population dense areas. EVs make tremendous sense in major metro areas, and much less so in the more open areas of the country (can't imagine having one in Montana/Nebraska/etc any time soon).
555-PINF
I just put a deposit on one to hold a 2022. Figure I'll look at a Pro because I like the simplicity of lower trim models, but want the extended range option, mostly to get the ability to power my house when the electricity goes out. Right now, the extended range option is fleet only on the Pro. If they don't open it up, I may wind up jumping to an XLT. Dunno - I'll have to weigh the price difference versus convenience of the feature once the time comes.

I commute about 30 miles a day round trip, so I could go a week on a charge. My wife would still have her big SUV for family trips, so even the 230 mile range option wouldn't force me to sacrifice anything over how I drive, now.
AggieKatie2
AG
Tesla may have just thrown down the gauntlet....

Patents for Cybertruck UI showing 610 miles of range.

https://www.tomsguide.com/uk/news/tesla-cybertruck-could-have-an-incredible-610-mile-range
aggieforester05
AG
Nice! If you could get 300 miles towing it would make it a reasonable alternative to gas for most truck owners.
Flaith
AG
AggieKatie2 said:

https://www.tomsguide.com/uk/news/tesla-cybertruck-could-have-an-incredible-610-mile-range
That is super impressive. If the truck were even a little bit attractive, I would be able to take it seriously as an option.
EMY92
AG
The thing that amazes me is the weight of the Lightning. It's a little over 6000 pounds. The new Hummer is just shy of 10,000.
tk for tu juan
Is the Cybertruck going to shoot right past the Class 2b rating and go for Class 3? Should the people on the waiting go ahead and apply for a commercial license?
Maximus_Meridius
AG
AggieFrog said:

TxAggieBand85 said:

From AggieFrog
Quote:

The problem there is the size and weight of that battery pack along with the charging requirements.
AKA energy density and time to refuel. The time to recharge is the real painful point. Even if could get 200 miles over a 30 minute recharge time would be a deal changer for many.
Per Ford, the Lightning will be capable of a fast charge from 15% to 80% in 41 minutes (that's 195 miles in 41 minutes).
I'm wondering what charging power level you need to achieve that. My guess is a 350 kW/hr station, which I'm only aware of ElectrifyAmerica having those (I think Tesla's 250 kW, but I'm not sure there). And let's just say that EA's track record for reliably having those 350 stations up and running is...iffy...at best. Which means you're most likely charging with a 150 kW station or worse a 50.

For reasons I cannot articulate, I'm fascinated by EVs. I guess it just tickles some techie nerve in me. But I have 2 questions on this thing that I think need to be answered:

1- What does the battery charging curve look like? Batteries charge slower the more full they get. How long can you push 200+ kW/hr into that battery?

2- A lot of reviews of the Mach-E I saw showed that the vehicle software, when it came to charging, left a LOT to be desired. Lots of failed handshakes between the car and the charger, and while EA could be blamed for a lot of it, it was also very clearly the car's fault as well.

The charging station thing is where Tesla has the industry by the balls. I get it, I don't like the Cybertruck that much, either, but if I had to pick CT or a Lightning, with the style of driving I do in my F150 now, I take the CT every day of the week, simply because Tesla's Supercharger infrastructure is that much better than anything else out there. Until the rest of the EVs have a charging infrastructure that is at the same level as Tesla's, EVs are not going to take over.
cav14
Flaith said:

AggieKatie2 said:

That is super impressive. If the truck were even a little bit attractive, I would be able to take it seriously as an option.
Goes to show even in the truck world, beauty still matters more than utility.
555-PINF
From Ford's tech sheet: (standard range/extended range)
Level 3:
150kW DCFC 15-80% - 44min/41min
50kW DCFC 15-80% - 91min/122min

Level 2:
80A Ford Charge Station Pro 15-100% - 10hr/8hr
48A Connected Charge Station 15-100% - 10hr/13hr
32A/240W Mobile Charger 15-100% - 14hr/19hr
BQAg09
AG
I put a reservation down shortly after they were announced. I figured it's only $100, so what the hell. Help me rationalize this from an economic perspective. LOTS of assumptions, but let's say I drive 50 miles round trip to and from work. 5 days a week, 4 weeks a month. Give myself another 250 miles a month for random things on the weekends and errands. That's 1250 miles per month.

For comparison the power boost hybrid F-150 @ EPA rated 24mpg hwy/city would need 52(ish) gallons of gas. Assuming price of gas @ 2.50 per gallon, that works out to $130 a month in gas.

A lightning battery is guesstimated to be a 155(ish) kWh battery for extended range option. Taking Ford at their word and that yields 300mi of range, that means for 1250mi / month I need to fully charge 4.2 times / month. Let's assume the going rate for electricity is 9.5 cents / kWh. That means I'd use 651 kWh costing about $62.

Maintenance cost - allegedly reduced by 40%. In this example, assuming an oil change costs $65 every 5000mi, that's about 200 per year. What other maintenance items are eliminated or added in the case of lightning vs power boost hybrid?

Upfront cost - hard to say as Ford hasn't released pricing on the 80amp charger, but allegedly it comes with the truck on extended range option. Then install becomes an issue. Everyone's circumstance is different, but bear with me as I ballpark it. At my house, the panel is opposite the garage. I'd need maybe a 40ft run. To carry 80 amps my research says you need a 2 gauge wire. A roll of 500ft of 2/3 romex is about $8k, works out to $640. Probably need a transfer switch of sorts for the "run the house" capability which I think is around $300. Sunrun (official Ford installer) probably has a mark up, plus labor. I'd estimate $2500-$3000 for an install.

So all told, I save $68 a month on fuel, and $200 per year on oil changes. That means I'm in the black after 2.5-3 years.

Other things to consider -
- what's the max amp rating for service into the house? Can I handle that draw while running other things? What's cost I need a service line increase?

- apparently you need special tires on the lightning for max range? How much do those cost? Do they wear out faster because of max torque 100% of the time?

- variability of gas price and / or controllability of electricity price
TBH $2.50/gal in my example I think is optimistic, and it's something I have little control over
I can change my electric plan to be something a little more advantageous. Of course that rate depends on a lot of other factors, but I could get a long term contract for more stability and predictability.

Sorry for the dissertation. What am I missing?
MouthBQ98
AG
How about different numbers of a handful of standard types? Don't need the battery to be one giant unit. What about 4 smaller ones? Or two for a small car, or 8 for a big SUV?
chimpanzee
MouthBQ98 said:

How about different numbers of a handful of standard types? Don't need the battery to be one giant unit. What about 4 smaller ones? Or two for a small car, or 8 for a big SUV?
I bet the market could figure something out eventually, but it's not going to be great. That battery would be a major component of the vehicle that is getting swapped into and out of every moron meth head's vehicle that was fished out of a pond for the fourth time this week.

Imagine having to share a transmission with the guy that delivered your pizza.
Frok
AG
BQAg09 said:

I put a reservation down shortly after they were announced. I figured it's only $100, so what the hell. Help me rationalize this from an economic perspective. LOTS of assumptions, but let's say I drive 50 miles round trip to and from work. 5 days a week, 4 weeks a month. Give myself another 250 miles a month for random things on the weekends and errands. That's 1250 miles per month.

For comparison the power boost hybrid F-150 @ EPA rated 24mpg hwy/city would need 52(ish) gallons of gas. Assuming price of gas @ 2.50 per gallon, that works out to $130 a month in gas.

A lightning battery is guesstimated to be a 155(ish) kWh battery for extended range option. Taking Ford at their word and that yields 300mi of range, that means for 1250mi / month I need to fully charge 4.2 times / month. Let's assume the going rate for electricity is 9.5 cents / kWh. That means I'd use 651 kWh costing about $62.

Maintenance cost - allegedly reduced by 40%. In this example, assuming an oil change costs $65 every 5000mi, that's about 200 per year. What other maintenance items are eliminated or added in the case of lightning vs power boost hybrid?

Upfront cost - hard to say as Ford hasn't released pricing on the 80amp charger, but allegedly it comes with the truck on extended range option. Then install becomes an issue. Everyone's circumstance is different, but bear with me as I ballpark it. At my house, the panel is opposite the garage. I'd need maybe a 40ft run. To carry 80 amps my research says you need a 2 gauge wire. A roll of 500ft of 2/3 romex is about $8k, works out to $640. Probably need a transfer switch of sorts for the "run the house" capability which I think is around $300. Sunrun (official Ford installer) probably has a mark up, plus labor. I'd estimate $2500-$3000 for an install.

So all told, I save $68 a month on fuel, and $200 per year on oil changes. That means I'm in the black after 2.5-3 years.

Other things to consider -
- what's the max amp rating for service into the house? Can I handle that draw while running other things? What's cost I need a service line increase?

- apparently you need special tires on the lightning for max range? How much do those cost? Do they wear out faster because of max torque 100% of the time?

- variability of gas price and / or controllability of electricity price
TBH $2.50/gal in my example I think is optimistic, and it's something I have little control over
I can change my electric plan to be something a little more advantageous. Of course that rate depends on a lot of other factors, but I could get a long term contract for more stability and predictability.

Sorry for the dissertation. What am I missing?

I would imagine if anything breaks it will be much more expensive to fix than a traditional vehicle.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.