Electric Vehicles vs. Petro

9,262 Views | 116 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Agthatbuilds
TxAggieBand85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

On the automotive board, we were discussing the Ford Lightning. Taking this to the politics board for the Hydrocarbon fuel vs. alternative fuel politicians gone wild edition. Hope people will have a good discussion.

My position in a nutshell:
People are either ignoring what is happening around them, or they collectively support the fast moving regulations away from petro powered transportation. I believe is more of the former than the latter, but either way; times are a changing. I also am hoping that I am wrong about the rapid movement.

I've made my living mostly in Oil and Gas production. I left just in time and am in a different industry.

Last post
Ford Lightning

Quote:

aggieforester05 said:

I'll leave the political point to say that respectfully I vehemently disagree with your assessment on so many levels that I agree that it's best to leave it to forum 16. So in an effort to prevent derailing this thread let's try to leave the politics out of further discussion unless it relates specifically to EVs (ex. Subsidies for purchase of the lightning).

That being said, liquid hydrocarbons are going nowhere anytime soon, unless we plan to eliminate air travel, most interstate commerce, plastics, cars for people that can't afford EVs. We'd also need to revolutionarily increase our power generation and storage overnight. The former would be unimaginably expensive and the political will to do so would be lacking. The latter is not technologically plausible without huge leaps in scientific discovery.

I'm certainly glad that we're getting some awesome options for alternative powered vehicles including electric and hybrid. Gas powered cars will be around for a long time coming and I think we'll find that a mixture of the two will be a good thing. Over time market forces will slowly erode the need for liquid hydrocarbons to fuel personal vehicles and that will be good and bad in different ways as far as environmental concerns.

As far as the lightning, I think it's going to make a great vehicle for local use, but for those of us whose truck is their primary travel vehicle, it's not feasible. I do like the idea of the torque and the simplicity of the electric motor powertrain from the perspective of someone with a heavy foot. I will miss the sound and feel of the gas engines, especially supercharged V8s like the Gen 2 lightning had.

I know it's not a popular opinion, because the fake noise crowd is very vocal (no pun intended), but I do hope that someday sporty vehicles will be able to accurately simulate that excitement of the gasoline era beasts. Say for example, your car can enter a mode where it has a transmission lever and pedal that can accurately simulate a manual transmission. It may even simulate accurately the sound, vibrations and feel of our favorite ICE powertrains. Your car could feel like a C6 ZR1 when you want it to and then be able to put it into autopilot and cruise like the quietest Tesla when in you're in that kind of mood. The possibilities are endless and I hope things don't go the way of boring soulless appliances that do everything for you with no excitement.
I'm seeing the regulators, legislators and people at large choosing to close down petro Exploration and Productions. I would prefer to be wrong on this.

Quote:

We'd also need to revolutionary increase our power generation and storage overnight.
Engineering and science does not seem to get the way of the legislators. Once again, I agree but stuff is moving faster than I thought.

Air travel, sea shipping and commercial ground are mostly powered by diesel. Am hoping we'll be smart enough to leave that alone mostly.

Barnyard96
AG
Still waiting for a lib to tell me what materials will be used to manufacture green technology.
Fightin_Aggie
AG
barnyard1996 said:

Still waiting for a lib to tell me what materials will be used to manufacture green technology.
Slave labor from China makes the world green
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Electric car-maker Tesla isn't taking any range risks in Australia with their support vehicles. When they need to repair their breakdown-prone plug buggies, Tesla use reliable, petrol-powered Mitsubishis.

Quote:

Meanwhile, Ford's new all-electric F-150 pickup truck might be facing a problem or two in the US:
Quote:

Ford estimates that range for the 2022 F-150 Lightning electric pickup will be 230 miles for trucks with the standard battery and 300 miles on trucks with the extended-range pack
However, we estimate that towing anywhere near the Lightning's stated 10,000-pound maximum tow rating will lead to highway range in the double digits.

Link
ChemEAg08
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Electric car-maker Tesla isn't taking any range risks in Australia with their support vehicles. When they need to repair their breakdown-prone plug buggies, Tesla use reliable, petrol-powered Mitsubishis.

Quote:

Meanwhile, Ford's new all-electric F-150 pickup truck might be facing a problem or two in the US:
Quote:

Ford estimates that range for the 2022 F-150 Lightning electric pickup will be 230 miles for trucks with the standard battery and 300 miles on trucks with the extended-range pack
However, we estimate that towing anywhere near the Lightning's stated 10,000-pound maximum tow rating will lead to highway range in the double digits.

Link

Double digit highway mileage will go over like a lead balloon.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Double digit highway mileage will go over like a lead balloon.
Not to mention charging times if having to use a residential panel. Just won't work in the heartland and a truck needs those that make good use of their transportation for hauling to make a model profitable.

Soy boys in Connecticut wanting to be environmentally macho is not a sufficiently large enough demographic.
Ags4DaWin
electric vehicles are thousands of pounds heavier than their gas counterparts as necessitated by their battery storage. this is problematic.

also lithium is in much shorter supply long term than oil and is more destructive to the environment.

until we have recycling facilities as well as the population stabilized it would be dumb to try to switch over to electric.
Irish 2.0
rgag12
AG
Does anyone know if electric car batteries are like the batteries in say like an iPhone? In which after a couple of years the charge doesn't last nearly as long as it seems to as it did when you first got it?
aggiehawg
AG
rgag12 said:

Does anyone know if electric car batteries are like the batteries in say like an iPhone? In which after a couple of years the charge doesn't last nearly as long as it seems to as it did when you first got it?
All batteries are like that, last I heard.
coolerguy12
AG
You're telling me when you're taking the family camping you don't like to stop for 30 min every hour and a half? That sounds great to get the kids to finally be quiet and nap right when it's time to pull off for a recharge.
aggieforester05
AG
Referencing the automotive thread: What I disagreed with was "that we collectively voted to move away from Hydrocarbons" based on the outcome of the 2020 presidential election. That is far from reality based on the very close nature of the 2020 election, when broken down to the margins in swing states that shifted the EC.

Even if you ignore the massive amounts of voter fraud that are in the early discovery phase, the margins of victory for Biden we not indicative of any sort of referendum. Republican gains in the house were also not indicative of a referendum in the Democrat's favor. They have no mandate to claim that their victory was anything more than the product of their stranglehold on propaganda, which they pulled out all stops to defeat Trump. If you were to ignore the mounting evidence of voter fraud, the fact that they pulled off winning the presidency and getting the Senate to 50/50 is nothing short of a miracle. It's a political fluke/outlier that bucked many historical trends.

Democrat's success in the 2020 election was certainly not due to the public's perception of petroleum products vs renewable energy. That may have played into the minds of some left wing voters, but they would have pulled the lever for the Democrat no matter what.

"We" sure as heck didn't vote to move away from Hydrocarbons, because I would NEVER vote for a scum bag Democrat unless the party went through a complete reformation resulting in a platform that put American interests' first. A far cry from their current platform.

If state legislatures can stop the ballot box stuffing, 2022 and 2024 will be a complete bloodbath for the corrupt Democrats and that will certainly not constitute a referendum on alternative energy products.

As far as the technologies go, there is certainly room in the market for them and we should hope that they gain market share and efficiency over time. I would hope that it is due to natural market incentives and not any sort of government interference that pushes them to the forefront. I'm all for alternative energy sources if they can compete in the market place and are not environmental train wrecks (ex. Cobalt and Lithium mining)
javajaws
AG
Quote:

I'm seeing the regulators, legislators and people at large choosing to close down petro Exploration and Productions. I would prefer to be wrong on this.
You can replace all of that bold text with "democrats", "leftists", or "people that don't have a clue what makes the world go 'round".
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
rgag12
AG
aggiehawg said:

rgag12 said:

You'd think you'd hear it then as major gripe among ev owners. Granted I don't know many
Catag94
AG
I'll start paying attention when they offer a truck to haul a 42' 5th wheel or a 28' loaded stock trailer for 10-12 hours at an average of 65 mph (counting stops for refueling/recharging) that is just as economical as the option for that today. They will need to depart day after day as well.

Edit to add:
When this happen AND IF the batteries are easily interchangeable like my Milwaukee 18 Volt collection and the cars themselves are cheap if purchased without a battery, I'll raid an eyebrow.
aggiehawg
AG
coolerguy12 said:

You're telling me when you're taking the family camping you don't like to stop for 30 min every hour and a half? That sounds great to get the kids to finally be quiet and nap right when it's time to pull off for a recharge.
I doubt anyone who takes their kids camping often, if at all, would use an EV for that purpose.

The wife may have plug-buggy for local trips. Not an EV for longer range and more remote locations.

Let's see when KOA offers quick charge facilities at their locations.
Agthatbuilds
I cant wait to see what they come up with for my situation.

I drive between 150-300 miles a day
3-4 days a week, i pull a goose neck trailer weighing anywhere from 2 to 8 tons. I once pulled a 15 ton trailer. Would not recommend, btw.
I use 4 wheel drive every other week
aggiehawg
AG
rgag12 said:

aggiehawg said:

rgag12 said:

You'd think you'd hear it then as major gripe among ev owners. Granted I don't know many
It is. That's the most often cited reason for the 15% of EV owners going back to gas powered for their next vehicle.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Let the people that it makes sense for buy EV's, in the meantime let everyone else buy what makes sense for them. Govt just needs to stay out of the way while EV tech is in its infancy.
“Not gonna lie...its a little disconcerting to have our minister of positivity be PlaneCrashGuy but Im in"
GAC06
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

3-4 days a week, i pull a goose neck trailer weighing anywhere from 2 to 8 tons. I once pulled a 15 ton trailer. Would not recommend, btw.

That doesn't sound like the truck for you. Also I'm sure you know the typical truck owner doesn't drive anywhere near that much
aggiehawg
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Solar panels attached and a wind turbine on top. Faster you drive, the more the wind turbine charges.
Catag94
AG
Something tells me you were pulling a flatbed with a D5G/K on it or something.
Barnyard96
AG
aggiehawg said:

coolerguy12 said:

I doubt anyone who takes their kids camping often, if at all, would use an EV for that purpose.

The wife may have plug-buggy for local trips. Not an EV for longer range and more remote locations.

My next RV is a 450 HP diesel pusher with on onboard Onan 10KW generator.

EV's will be able to plug into me!
rgag12
AG
aggiehawg said:

rgag12 said:

aggiehawg said:

rgag12 said:

It is. That's the most often cited reason for the 15% of EV owners going back to gas powered for their next vehicle.

I thought it was more to do with the hassle with charging itself, not the battery deteriorating

https://www.businessinsider.com/electric-car-owners-switching-gas-charging-a-hassle-study-2021-4
Seriously77
Why anyone from Texas would be for electric cars is a head scratcher. You know the eastern seaboard states hates the wealth Texas generates from hydrocarbons?

Bondag
AG
rgag12 said:

aggiehawg said:

rgag12 said:

If you want a 7 year old hybrid you can get one cheap at most municipal auctions. None of them budgeted for new batteries so they auction them off for pennies and buy new gas ones.
My Name Is Judge
So if we want nothing but vagina cars on the road how long will it take & how much does it cost to replace all gas stations w battery chargers

Will our existing electric infrastructure power the charging for all American vehicles? If not how long will it take & how much will it cost to upgrade

& what will supply this new insane amount of electric required? Coal burning & natural gas?

It's seems to me we're taking quite a few steps backwards just to combat a pretend crisis....

So the question is why? & the answer is because the establishment will get more rich
Kozmozag
I'll never drive electric.
Pookers
AG
Chevy LS1 / LT1 > Battery powered Tesla Junk
Agthatbuilds

This part is great

aggiehawg
AG
barnyard1996 said:

aggiehawg said:

coolerguy12 said:

My next RV is a 450 HP diesel pusher with on onboard Onan 10KW generator.

EV's will be able to plug into me!
LOVE IT!! Onan is the one!
aggiedata
AG
aggiehawg
AG
In the early 80s I was unexpectedly involved in a legal case that went sideways. The issue became the effect of EMP on vehicles with computer functions to get SAC crews to the silos in the event of nuclear war. (And the POTUS to a safe space if he were traveling.)

What would EMP do to an EV??
Catag94
AG
You tell us Petro burners.
aggiehawg
AG
Catag94 said:

You tell us Petro burners.
Some things might still be classified for all I know. Suffice it to say, EMP would destroy EVs without special hardening against the effects. But then you have the small range, and the probability of zero recharging ability close enough to make a difference if they were hardened.

The only vehicle that was tested and passed was a 1966 Dodge pickup truck. It still ran. The rest tested, did not.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.