Electric Vehicles vs. Petro

9,284 Views | 116 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Agthatbuilds
BigRobSA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
aggiehawg said:

In the early 80s I was unexpectedly involved in a legal case that went sideways. The issue became the effect of EMP on vehicles with computer functions to get SAC crews to the silos in the event of nuclear war. (And the POTUS to a safe space if he were traveling.)

What would EMP do to an EV??

Most vehicles on the road would not skip a beat with an EMP. EV or Dino-powered.
eric76
AG
ChemEAg08 said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Electric car-maker Tesla isn't taking any range risks in Australia with their support vehicles. When they need to repair their breakdown-prone plug buggies, Tesla use reliable, petrol-powered Mitsubishis.

Quote:

Meanwhile, Ford's new all-electric F-150 pickup truck might be facing a problem or two in the US:
Quote:

Ford estimates that range for the 2022 F-150 Lightning electric pickup will be 230 miles for trucks with the standard battery and 300 miles on trucks with the extended-range pack
However, we estimate that towing anywhere near the Lightning's stated 10,000-pound maximum tow rating will lead to highway range in the double digits.

Link

Double digit highway mileage will go over like a lead balloon.
I'm wondering what kind of mileage they'll get in cold weather on electric snow plows. Imagine snow plows having turn around when they get 20 miles from town to go back and get recharged.
ChemEAg08
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

I cant wait to see what they come up with for my situation.

I drive between 150-300 miles a day
3-4 days a week, i pull a goose neck trailer weighing anywhere from 2 to 8 tons. I once pulled a 15 ton trailer. Would not recommend, btw.
I use 4 wheel drive every other week

Don't worry, the benevolent government will kill your business because it is not woke via taxation and regulation. You'll end up losing that job and live on the government dole so you can use that ****ty smart car they want you to use.
aggiehawg
AG
BigRobSA said:

aggiehawg said:

In the early 80s I was unexpectedly involved in a legal case that went sideways. The issue became the effect of EMP on vehicles with computer functions to get SAC crews to the silos in the event of nuclear war. (And the POTUS to a safe space if he were traveling.)

Most vehicles on the road would not skip a beat with an EMP. EV or Dino-powered.
You have a link for that? How were they hardened?

ETA: Anything with a semiconductor is still at great risk last I saw.
DrEvazanPhD
aggiehawg said:

Unfortunately with the amount of electronics in a modern gas powered car, both EV and gas/disel would be ****ed after an EMP
pfo
AG
Total energy consumption in the USA is 81% oil, natural gas and coal. 11% is renewable and 8% is nuclear.

EV's in the USA are powered by electricity generated overwhelingly by fossil fuels. So if fossil fuels are not permitted in the USA then the lights go off on America and EV's stop rolling.
mesocosm
AG
barnyard1996 said:

Still waiting for a lib to tell me what materials will be used to manufacture green technology.

I assume petroleum products will play a large role. I'm not sure why you think it is a problem for "libs" ? Seems to be a better use of petrol than using it as fuel.
Religion is the principal enemy of moral progress in the world - Bertrand Russell
Barnyard96
AG
mesocosm said:

barnyard1996 said:

Still waiting for a lib to tell me what materials will be used to manufacture green technology.

I assume petroleum products will play a large role. I'm not sure why you think it is a problem for "libs" ? Seems to be a better use of petrol than using it as fuel.
Because most libs believe the lie that we can get rid of oil and gas.
DrEvazanPhD
mesocosm said:

barnyard1996 said:

You're shanked punt.

"Petrol."

Another fake brit
OaklandAg06
AG
Electric Vehicles are going to be the CFL of the 2010's-2020's.

Only bigger, much more costly, and much more negatively impactful on the environment.
BigRobSA
DrEvazanPhD said:

aggiehawg said:

Unfortunately with the amount of electronics in a modern gas powered car, both EV and gas/disel would be ****ed after an EMP

Wrong.

Proven false in one of the big car e-magazines a few years ago and elsewhere. Against everything we thought was "normal".
DrEvazanPhD
BigRobSA said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

aggiehawg said:

Wrong.

Proven false in one of the big car e-magazines a few years ago and elsewhere. Against everything we thought was "normal".

Link? I'd love to read up on that and how they tested it!
mesocosm
AG
barnyard1996 said:

mesocosm said:

barnyard1996 said:

Nice non sequitur
Religion is the principal enemy of moral progress in the world - Bertrand Russell
DrEvazanPhD
mesocosm said:

barnyard1996 said:

mesocosm said:

barnyard1996 said:

Nice non sequitur

Not a non-sequitur. It followed logically.

Taco.
Barnyard96
AG
mesocosm said:

barnyard1996 said:

mesocosm said:

barnyard1996 said:

Nice non sequitur
You asked why I think it is a problem for libs. I answered.
BigRobSA
DrEvazanPhD said:

BigRobSA said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

aggiehawg said:

Wrong.

https://jalopnik.com

Then search for "how-to-prepare-your-car-to-handle-an-emp".
DrEvazanPhD
BigRobSA said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

BigRobSA said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

aggiehawg said:

Wrong.

https://jalopnik.com

Then search for "how-to-prepare-your-car-to-handle-an-emp".

I stand corrected. Nice to know I can cruise around in my truck after the North Koreans attack us
My Name Is Judge
mesocosm said:

barnyard1996 said:

Just curious, what fuel source do you think will be utilized to produce the electric for all these new "green" vehicles?
Barnyard96
AG
Uncle Joe, where does plastic come from?

Faux Trees my dear.
aggiehawg
AG
Thanks for the response. Appreciate it. Always want to learn.
annie88
AG
I think electric cars are a novelty and stupid. I mean if people wanna use them that's fine but you look at somewhere like California where they can't even keep their damn lights on from power outages and they think they're gonna be able to keep all these electric cars going?

No thanks. Gas all the way. Charging stations would not be adequate, etc. They're cute and if people wanna have them OK whatever but they're never going to become the main stream and if they do it's gonna be a freaking nightmare.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FJB TRUMP 2024.
doubledog
Science is a *****.

Petro

pump oil from ground to refinery ---> loose energy
----> refine to trimethyl pentane -----> loose energy
-----> move to gas station ---> loose energy
----> convert trimethyl pentane to power (CO2+H2O) ----> loose energy

Electric

Move gas from well to electric power plant ---> loose energy.
Generate electric power ----> loose energy (CO2+H2O)
move electric power to charging station ----> loose energy
Charge battery -----> loose energy
move electric from battery to motor (power)----> loose energy

Tell me what is green about the electric again?

aggieforester05
AG
Electric cars make sense theoretically in terms of reducing fossil fuel usage because electric plants can turn fossil fuel into energy more efficiently than on board gasoline/Diesel engines and a percentage of electric generation plants use alternative energy sources.

The problem is energy storage and generation. We have nowhere near enough power generation now to replace even half of the ICE engines on the road with electric. The other problem is storage. Battery technology and material sourcing would need to dramatically improve to make electric vehicles viable on a mass scale.

I can understand the arguments in favor of mass producing electric vehicles, but we're nowhere near being able to completely or even mostly substitute ICE engines for them. IMO, the lightning is an important step forward, but will not fill the needs of all half ton truck owners due to range limitations, especially while towing/hauling.
halfastros81
AG
Agree with forester05. The world couldn't transition quickly to Ev's even if everyone 100% wanted to for
Many reasons including:

Can't build enough batteries . Not enough rare earth metals and certainly no diversity of source.

Electrical infrastructure and generation is already taxed and would need significant investment and time and fuel sources. There's the joke too, incremental generation would still be hydrocarbon fueled unless nuclear were to suddenly become aok.

Maybe can happen in a significant fashion in 20+ yrs if they were to continue to get gov help to get infrastructure in place
Agthatbuilds
Nothing that cool. It was a tandom dual axle dump trailer load with wet dirt, sand, concrete and rocks.

My guy tamped it full of junk and left. Only option was to pull it. Stuck it on the 350 and weighed in at 39000lbs gross, more or less. Figure the truck weighs about 9000 pounds(long bed, bigger tires, ranch hand bumpers) Lets just say i white knuckled that diving up mopac. i do not recommend doing that.
gggmann
AG
Vode for Petro
DGAG92
AG
gggmann said:

Vode for Petro

Highly underrated post.....,
AggieFlyboy
AG
halfastros81 said:

Agree with forester05. The world couldn't transition quickly to Ev's even if everyone 100% wanted to for
Many reasons including:

Can't build enough batteries . Not enough rare earth metals and certainly no diversity of source.

Electrical infrastructure and generation is already taxed and would need significant investment and time and fuel sources. There's the joke too, incremental generation would still be hydrocarbon fueled unless nuclear were to suddenly become aok.

Maybe can happen in a significant fashion in 20+ yrs if they were to continue to get gov help to get infrastructure in place

Batteries may soon be a non-issue. Read an article last week that scientists in Australia have figured out the aluminum graphene ion battery. Charges 60x as fast with no risk of overheating. Stronger, safer and easier to produce. https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaeltaylor/2021/05/13/ev-range-breakthrough-as-new-aluminum-ion-battery-charges-60-times-faster-than-lithium-ion/?sh=606db1906d28

Also another company figured out how to build the battery into structural walls, which will reduce weight. https://www.electronicdesign.com/power-management/whitepaper/21162969/electronic-design-structural-battery-design-reduces-dead-enclosure-weight
Owlagdad
Discussion on WBAP this morning is how electric cars should pay for use tax for using roads. Petro is in anywhere from 40-50 cents in tax per gallon.
Fightin_Aggie
AG
Ags4DaWin said:

electric vehicles are thousands of pounds heavier than their gas counterparts as necessitated by their battery storage. this is problematic.

also lithium is in much shorter supply long term than oil and is more destructive to the environment.

until we have recycling facilities as well as the population stabilized it would be dumb to try to switch over to electric.
Take a look at how easy it is to recycle lithium (that is sarcasm, sorry in advance
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
Ulrich
Simulating the sound and feel of an ICE with speakers and rumble packs would be terribly unsatisfying.
thirdcoast
AG
Rivian RS1 is gonna steal market share. It's a private company that Bezos and others or investing 100s of millions in. This and the F150 will make EVs cool.

0-60 in 3 sec.

Sq 17
rgag12 said:

Does anyone know if electric car batteries are like the batteries in say like an iPhone? In which after a couple of years the charge doesn't last nearly as long as it seems to as it did when you first got it?
Used vehicle battery packs will be down-cycled for home solar application
rgag12
AG
thirdcoast said:

Rivian RS1 is gonna steal market share. It's a private company that Bezos and others or investing 100s of millions in. This and the F150 will make EVs cool.

0-60 in 3 sec.

Sarcasm? The Only thing that could steal market share from are the d-bags that drive range rovers.

And the Ford lighting sounds worse and worse every passing day
Buck Turgidson
All electric vehicles as they currently exist are of such limited utility that I think of them as a pointless gimmick. When you can fully charge your EV for 500miles of range in minutes, THEN they'll be competitive. In the meantime, hybrid technology makes a ton of sense. So I would expect technology to cause us to gradually adopt more fuel efficient big trucks and SUVs and one day all electric technology might be able to do the job. Throw into the mix the necessary infrastructure like beefing up our fragile power grid and building these future charging stations, and reality is years away from what is today just an enthusiasts fantasy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.