Electric Vehicles vs. Petro

9,276 Views | 116 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Agthatbuilds
JSKolache
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
At the end of the day American consumers, not politicians, will drive the changes. We are by and large penny-pinchers when it comes to expensive purchases like auto. When the purchase price + power to fuel it rivals or undercuts gasoline vehicles, we will buy millions of them.

A key role for politicians SHOULD be on regulatory reform for speeding up permitting/building out more massive generation stations & transmission infrastructure. But there is 0% chance this will happen. Instead congress will wait until there is a nationwide crunch/crisis in power prices, at which point liberals will argue for subsidizing low-income powers consumers (while ignoring the fact that their EPA enviro regs are a huuuuuuge hurdle building new gen/tran infrastructure that was desperately needed 10+ years prior.
rgag12
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

rgag12 said:

Does anyone know if electric car batteries are like the batteries in say like an iPhone? In which after a couple of years the charge doesn't last nearly as long as it seems to as it did when you first got it?

All batteries are, but pretty much all modern batteries are pretty good at handling this. For instance, the Tesla batteries are "smart" batteries in that individual cells are digitally controlled. They're heavily optimized to maintain their lifespan and not see much degradation, which is around 10% at 150k miles. Some owners have reported getting 300k miles out of their battery, but it's hard to say how typical that may be. Much of it is also dependent on charging and usage habits.

Well that's good. I just keep thinking how awful it'd be for my car battery to act like my iPhone battery after 4 years. Start out the morning commute with a 60% charge thinking your fine, then on the way the work it drops all the way to 20%! Talk about a pain
Buck Turgidson

nortex97
AG
BTW, global warming is a myth.

Most electric car makers warrant them for 8 years/100K, though some (like Nissan) only go to 5/60K. It costs (ballpark) $10K to replace a worn out battery.

Again, there are massive environmental impacts to the mining done for lithium, cobalt, etc. but that is a secret that our press wants to hide as much as it does electoral fraud in 2020 or that masks don't impact the spread of respiratory viruses at all.
torrid
AG
rgag12 said:

eric76 said:

Buck Turgidson said:

All electric vehicles as they currently exist are of such limited utility that I think of them as a pointless gimmick. When you can fully charge your EV for 500miles of range in minutes, THEN they'll be competitive. In the meantime, hybrid technology makes a ton of sense. So I would expect technology to cause us to gradually adopt more fuel efficient big trucks and SUVs and one day all electric technology might be able to do the job. Throw into the mix the necessary infrastructure like beefing up our fragile power grid and building these future charging stations, and reality is years away from what is today just an enthusiasts fantasy.
The only way I would consider them is as a second vehicle for around town travel.

Currently that's the only practical use for them. If you use an ev for travel outside a metro you are courting disaster
Gas station near me is also a Tesla charging station, conveniently located right by a major interstate. Only they have closed the station for a few months for remodeling.

Every time I drive by, there are Teslas circling like vultures trying to find the phantom charging station on their GPS.
itsyourboypookie
My f350 diesel with 1050 ft pounds of torque is all I will ever drive.
GAC06
AG
New Tesla Model S sets world record in 1/4 mile at 9.2 seconds.

390 mile range, 200 mph top speed, 0-60 in 1.99 seconds

Is that good?

https://electrek.co/2021/06/03/tesla-model-s-plaid-achieves-new-quarter-mile-world-record/
HumbleAg04
AG
GAC06 said:

Is that good?

https://electrek.co/2021/06/03/tesla-model-s-plaid-achieves-new-quarter-mile-world-record/

Yes it's good. Unfortunately a world where everyone plugs in their electric car overnight to charge would require massive infrastructure improvements to the electrical grid and a mew source of power for it (hint it isn't wind or solar)
Bondag
AG
HumbleAg04 said:

GAC06 said:

Is that good?

Yes it's good. Unfortunately a world where everyone plugs in their electric car overnight to charge would require massive infrastructure improvements to the electrical grid and a mew source of power for it (hint it isn't wind or solar)
Agthatbuilds
GAC06 said:

Is that good?

Those are awesome specs.

But what happens to the range if you constantly test the higher speeds or acceleration capacities?

What happens after the car ages a bit? Does the range suffer over time? What if you live in a mountainous region or very cold climate? Doesnthat effect the range capability?
nortex97
AG
GAC06 said:

Is that good?

Pffft, I mock electric vehicles yet that one is almost a whole second slower than the new roadster to 60. These are, yes, incredible figures/power, which no ICE vehicle could ever touch (without non-ice thrusters).
GAC06
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

GAC06 said:

Is that good?

Those are awesome specs.

But what happens to the range if you constantly test the higher speeds or acceleration capacities?

What happens after the car ages a bit? Does the range suffer over time? What if you live in a mountainous region or very cold climate? Doesnthat effect the range capability?

Yes it does. It also affects ICE vehicles
Agthatbuilds
True. I get 20mpg in my truck with no load. I get about 14 with a trailer on it.

I can still go 500 miles though, even under stress.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.