2022 Ford Lightning

21,631 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AggieMPH2005
chimpanzee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
1agswitchin4lanes said:

MouthBQ98 said:

I'm wondering who's going to make an aftermarket diesel generator and fuel pack that fits in the Frunk that extends the range and can charge away from a station.
Ford should offer it with a Ford Accessory (TM) hood stack kit....
People are going to come up with all manner of goofy options, it will be awesome. You could fit a pretty big generator and fuel tank in the bed. If you can get the right cables and stable current at the right voltage (or whatever, I'm no EE) you could have a pretty well engineered redneck range extender.

Think what you could do with an aero optimized trailer. You could Pony Express your way across the country with a trailer swap and nearly zero down time to recharge if you didn't want to.
evan_aggie
AG
Even if this ends up being a mediocre success, this seems poised to crush any attempt from Rivian to establish themselves.

More importantly, I don't see how the Cybertruck has any chance of long term success. The Ford is an actual truck. The Cybertruck looks like a gimmick for an old guy driving around in downtown Austin.
chimpanzee
evan_aggie said:

Even if this ends up being a mediocre success, this seems poised to crush any attempt from Rivian to establish themselves.

More importantly, I don't see how the Cybertruck has any chance of long term success. The Ford is an actual truck. The Cybertruck looks like a gimmick for an old guy driving around in downtown Austin.
I'll stack my hatred of Austinites peacocking through life against anyone, but I am getting old and weird enough that a Cybertruck is starting to make sense.
AggieKatie2
AG
chimpanzee said:

evan_aggie said:

I'll stack my hatred of Austinites peacocking through life against anyone, but I am getting old and weird enough that a Cybertruck is starting to make sense.

Not an austinite, but I think I'd probably qualify as a Tesla fanboy to most around here.

Entry level F150 vs Cybertruck...pretty close. Each has its pros and cons.

Platinum vs Tri Motor Cybertruck....Cybertruck blows it away $10k+ less.
'03ag
evan_aggie said:

Way more people will by Lightnings than Cybertrucks, and that's just fine with Tesla. If they were going after typical F150 buyers they would've made something very diffferent.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I think Ford has a winner on their hands.
TSJ
AG
AggieKatie2 said:

chimpanzee said:

evan_aggie said:

Not an austinite, but I think I'd probably qualify as a Tesla fanboy to most around here.

Infastructure, Tesla has a huge head start on chargers. As comfortable as it is to go from an ICE F-series to an electric if superchargers are only available to Teslas, that lightning is just a putting-around-the-city truck not going around the state.
evan_aggie
AG
AggieKatie2 said:

chimpanzee said:

evan_aggie said:

Okay. To each their own. The Tesla sedan and suv line up all looks reasonable and basically an iteration of a traditional sedan. The Cybertruck looks like a joke, and if you disagree with that, then by all means...buy 2 Cybertrucks!

I was told the Pontiac Aztec was actually an engineering marvel of cool features, but who in crap wanted to be caught driving one.

JobSecurity
AG
evan_aggie said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

JobSecurity said:

So what comes with the base model? XLT doesn't seem awful for the price.

Should also qualify for the 7500 credit right?
They're all 4WD.

The "base model" is probably the XL.

Yeah, "commercial oritented".

XLT is $52,974. That's what most buyers would want. So, $52,974 - $7,500 + $4,000 (?) in TTL?

Huge question is how much the option for expanded battery is. I assume most will also opt for that.
planoaggie123
AG
evan_aggie said:

Okay. To each their own. The Tesla sedan and suv line up all looks reasonable and basically an iteration of a traditional sedan. The Cybertruck looks like a joke, and if you disagree with that, then by all means...buy 2 Cybertrucks!

I was told the Pontiac Aztec was actually an engineering marvel of cool features, but who in crap wanted to be caught driving one.

evan_aggie
AG
Does it matter *that* much though? If you told me it was $52,974 just for 230 mile range, then so be it. I don't think many people are going to suddenly find themselves desperate for the extra 80 mile range.

That being said: I may think twice about my drive from Austin to SA to see my folks.
evan_aggie
91AggieLawyer
AG
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

91AggieLawyer said:

Jaydoug said:

300 mile range?
Is it a 150 mile range with a lawn mower in the bed?
Is it a 75 mile range towing an empty 12ft trailer?

Gotta see the whole story.

I think just as big a concern as all this are the questions: how long does the battery last (in years) and how much will it cost to replace?

What are people who are buying used EVs and hybrids but don't realize batteries have a finite life (and are expensive to replace) doing when they get the news?

Battery is covered by an 8 year 100k warranty
But yea if you keep it for 8 years then sell, probably going to be a big range of used prices depending on battery newness, sort of like golf carts now where the battery component is 30% of the cost of a used golf cart

There are people on here that have 2016s and newer with WELL over 100K. Also, is that warranty for everyone or just the original owner? Probably everyone but I'd check to be sure. You'll see a lot of 6-9 year old models for sale, probably, because the owner doesn't want to spend that kind of money on an almost decade old truck.

Even if you did get your battery replaced under warranty at, say, 6 years and 90K miles (15K a year so a reasonable mileage), you'd have to contend with replacement battery warranty (if any) and go through that again in another 4-8 years. If the truck is priced to include the future value costs of batteries, then the buyer would just shift their focus of how they pay for or finance trucks. But that is going to be a rough shift for many.
Jaydoug
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

I'm wondering who's going to make an aftermarket diesel generator and fuel pack that fits in the Frunk that extends the range and can charge away from a station.

The Laws of Thermodynamics would like to have a word with you about cycle losses.
chimpanzee
Jaydoug said:

MouthBQ98 said:

The Laws of Thermodynamics would like to have a word with you about cycle losses.

It will be dumb, but people will try it. I'm sure it would pencil out to really low mpg on whatever you burn in the generator.
AggieKatie2
AG
evan_aggie said:

AggieKatie2 said:

chimpanzee said:

evan_aggie said:

Looks matter...no disagreement.

Performance wise top trim....no contest

0-60: 4.5 vs 2.9
Range: 300 (extended) vs 500+
Charging Time: Tesla
Clearance: 9.4 vs 16
Bed size: 5.5 vs 6.5
Towing: 10k vs 14k+
Price: 90k vs 70k (80 with FSD)

HollywoodBQ
AG
evan_aggie said:

Does it matter *that* much though? If you told me it was $52,974 just for 230 mile range, then so be it. I don't think many people are going to suddenly find themselves desperate for the extra 80 mile range.

That being said: I may think twice about my drive from Austin to SA to see my folks.
EV Range has to be 300+ miles before there will be serious adoption.
This covers LA - Vegas, Houston to Dallas, Houston to San Antonio, SA to DFW, etc.
YouBet
AG
That Ford Intelligent Backup Power option is interesting. Basically power your home from your truck for up to 3 days? I would like to see some real world data on that, but that's advantageous if true.

And I still can't get over how hideous that cyber truck is. Seems like the Dogecoin of vehicles.
one MEEN Ag
AG
I think you're not giving Tesla enough side eye here. The Cybertruck keeps sliding on their schedule. Their other models keep going up in price. Ford is going to have this in customers hands in a year. Cybertruck is out until 2025 at least.

In my mind, the electric truck market needs to establish two things:

A range that can do a whole day of driving. For me, thats 450 miles before I give into the wife and kids saying its time to rest for the day.

And then also the ability to count on electric charging stations being available when you're pulling into the hotel.
AggieKatie2
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

I think you're not giving Tesla enough side eye here. The Cybertruck keeps sliding on their schedule. Their other models keep going up in price. Ford is going to have this in customers hands in a year. Cybertruck is out until 2025 at least.

In my mind, the electric truck market needs to establish two things:

A range that can do a whole day of driving. For me, thats 450 miles before I give into the wife and kids saying its time to rest for the day.

And then also the ability to count on electric charging stations being available when you're pulling into the hotel.

Curious where you are seeing 2025?
lb3
AG
TSJ said:

AggieKatie2 said:

chimpanzee said:

evan_aggie said:

Infastructure, Tesla has a huge head start on chargers. As comfortable as it is to go from an ICE F-series to an electric if superchargers are only available to Teslas, that lightning is just a putting-around-the-city truck not going around the state.
EV trucks won't have much range towing trailers so Ford isn't really targeting Texas ranchers with this vehicle. Instead, they seem to be targeting New England/Pacific coast contractors with and eco-driven customer base, higher labor rates making the truck more affordable, shorter drives to the job site, and the need for portable power when they get there.

The eTransit is another example. That vehicle would make a great RV platform but they only gave it a range of about 150 miles. That works great for delivering wedding cakes and floral arrangements, not so great for boondocking in Big Bend.
Jaydoug
AG
chimpanzee said:

Jaydoug said:

MouthBQ98 said:

It will be dumb, but people will try it. I'm sure it would pencil out to really low mpg on whatever you burn in the generator.

Fill the frunk with a Generac nat gas burning V8. Full circle. Lol.
evan_aggie
AG
AggieKatie2 said:

evan_aggie said:

AggieKatie2 said:

chimpanzee said:

evan_aggie said:

How many buyers are $90K vs $70K? Maybe I'm out of touch with the, "I love $1500/mo truck payments" crowd or the "I have $100k cash money to blow" folks, but I would assume there would be more sales in the XLT range.

AggieKatie2
AG
Dual motor would seem to be the equivalent of the XLT judging by numbers and pricing is pretty close to 49(59).

Like I said, entry level is so close that it comes down to preference, which is where Ford will win. Lariat and Platinum vs tri-motor though isn't even close outside of the looks preference.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Of course, can't find the article now. Will search deeper and find it again.
MouthBQ98
AG
Jaydoug said:

MouthBQ98 said:

Not for regular use, but for occasional use to extend range versus having to wait a long time to charge, or to self charge away from a charge location. Yes, it would be much less efficient...for those times when it is used. If you drive 90% within range and never use it, and 10% of the time you use it to drive longer or self charge, you probably still come out ahead.

I'm not at all talking about running a full time generator like a diesel electric train, where they are focused more on instant torque than fuel use.
ABATTBQ11
AG
AggieKatie2 said:

evan_aggie said:

AggieKatie2 said:

chimpanzee said:

evan_aggie said:

The problem is that Tesla has yet to deliver on those performance specs and price range. If they deliver like they have in the past, it will be another year before they actually roll out production models, no matter what Elon is saying now.
evan_aggie
AG
first-2022-tesla-cybertruck-deliveries-could-start-this-year

They claim volume 2022, and my guess is 2H 2022.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Before I take the plunge I'll need 950 mile range while pulling my travel trailer. (This is Marshall, TX to Disney World)
Jaydoug
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

Before I take the plunge I'll need 950 mile range while pulling my travel trailer. (This is Marshall, TX to Disney World)
Fill the bed of your truck and your travel trailer with Elon's battery walls.
hedges1
AG
It's really hard to remember that the mass market consumer doesn't think for a second about how far their F150 travels vs. a Silverado, or Tacoma...or anything for that matter.

"I want a truck and we've always had Fords...give me a blue one with heated seats....Oohhhh I like the piping on those seats and DAMN that armrest/work center is kickass, give me the LIMITED"

RAM has spent billions upgrading the interior of their trucks and all it's features just to siphon a few points of market share in this space.

So journos and car buffs can talk all we want about range, charging points along I35 and how fast a 9,000lb truck is from 0-60....and in the end it's about features, looks, convenience and the badge.

Tesla has done one helluva job converting people to electric.
In a crowded field that knows how to update their products - in competitive segments on pretty damn quick basis (almost annually now) - give me the field in short order.
JSKolache
AG
Of COURSE they stuck a Yeti in the frunk
AgBQ-00
AG
the cyber truck looks like an atari 2600 rendition of a car. it is terribad.

As for the lightning...ehhhh very underwhelmed with the look and design of it.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
TxAggieBand85
AG
I think this truck is a winner as a local use vehicle with some capabilities. I may buy one.

Comparing to a truck for actual trips and loads .... well we are not anywhere close yet.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.