2022 Ford Lightning

21,626 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AggieMPH2005
htxag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AggieKatie2 said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Tech specs
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15hPrCLPbW1ba59gFCGaF6FpaJ3sE6WOs/view?usp=drivesdk
Thanks 1ags

Those charging and range numbers.....woof

For comparison...Model Y Long-Range was 316 mpc at release and on a 32a/240 outlet gets 30 mph

Lightning is 230 (standard) and 300 (extended) mpc and 13/14 mph on 32/240 outlet

Not at all well versed in electric cars. But don't think it's really "fair" to compare an suv (thats probably really a crossover vs an actual suv) to a full sized truck
AggieKatie2
AG
htxag09 said:

AggieKatie2 said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Tech specs
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15hPrCLPbW1ba59gFCGaF6FpaJ3sE6WOs/view?usp=drivesdk
Thanks 1ags

Those charging and range numbers.....woof

For comparison...Model Y Long-Range was 316 mpc at release and on a 32a/240 outlet gets 30 mph

Lightning is 230 (standard) and 300 (extended) mpc and 13/14 mph on 32/240 outlet

Not at all well versed in electric cars. But don't think it's really "fair" to compare an suv (thats probably really a crossover vs an actual suv) to a full sized truck
Yes/No

We don't know the F150 weight, and that obviously plays in to mileage. With that said:

Curb Weight MY: 4416
Curb Weight 21 F150 SCrew (Gas): 4769

So a bit of difference, but not massive.

In regards to charging (especially mph), it is an absolutely fair comparison.
htxag09
AG
Wouldn't drag but just as important, if not more important, than weight? The model y can do that. Their target market loves the futuristic clean lines look. The lightning went with a more truck traditional look which is terrible as far as drag/aerodynamics are concerned.
AggieKatie2
AG
htxag09 said:

Wouldn't drag but just as important, if not more important, than weight? The model y can do that. Their target market loves the futuristic clean lines look. The lightning went with a more truck traditional look which is terrible as far as drag/aerodynamics are concerned.

Yes obviously, but I'm also trying to compare it to something driving around today.

Compared to Rivian, Cybertruck, Hummer...which should be on the road around same time frame, the Ford numbers are lacking.
JobSecurity
AG
It depends. If you're just putzing around town most days (20-30 miles a day) or don't even drive every day, you'll generally catch up over night at 2-3 mph. If you're commuting or driving more than that consistently and don't have a charger at the office then yes I'd assume youd opt for a L2.
YouBet
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

JobSecurity said:

Reveal is supposed to be tomorrow but here are first full pics

A freaking glow strip? Really?

Just give it a custom badge and be done with it.

Yuck.
End Of Message
AG
I think they're lagging behind Rivian and trying to match the look.
Flaith
AG
you truck people are weird
YouBet
AG
Pinche Abogado said:

I think they're lagging behind Rivian and trying to match the look.
Maybe. Ford was one of the primary investors in Rivian.
End Of Message
AG
I did not know that. Thanks for the clarification.

1agswitchin4lanes
AG
YouBet said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

JobSecurity said:

Reveal is supposed to be tomorrow but here are first full pics

A freaking glow strip? Really?

Just give it a custom badge and be done with it.

Yuck.
Unibrow.

planoaggie123
AG
How else will someone in this truck signal how eco friendly they are / how tiny their carbon footprint is....you need lots of lights....
tk for tu juan
Curb weight of a '21 SuperCrew Hybrid is b/w 5,200 and 5,500 lbs for the 5.5-ft bed

6.5-ft bed SCrew Hybrid with some payload
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/took-my-powerboost-to-the-cat-scale-today.3382/#post-51337
agdaddy04
AG
Biden telling the reporter she can't ask another question unless she gets in front of the truck while he steps on it... interesting.
andercb1
redag06 said:

Why are the wheels on EV's always so awful?

Range
1agswitchin4lanes
AG

Quote:

DETROIT Facing pressure from new rivals trying to stake a claim in the burgeoning battery-electric pickup market, Ford Motor Co. designed the 2022 F-150 Lightning to do what its gasoline-powered counterpart has done for decades: outwork and outsell all competitors.
Ford is hoping that a bold starting price of $39,974 before shipping about $10,000 less than what the average shopper pays for a gasoline F-150 truck these days ($50,600 in April) coupled with new features not possible on the current model will help win over EV skeptics and expand the pool of buyers who have made the F-150 the nation's bestselling vehicle.
The Lightning, revealed late Wednesday, features standard four-wheel-drive; the F-150's first independent rear suspension; an improved on-board generator that can power a house or work site for three straight days; and the industry's largest front trunk that comes with four power outlets and 14.1 cubic feet of space enough room for two sets of golf clubs.

It will be assembled at the Rouge Electric Vehicle Center in Dearborn, Mich., with sales scheduled to begin next spring.

Ford said the EV can outrun a Raptor with a targeted 0 to 60 mph time in the mid-4-second range, and its dual electric motors are expected to produce 563 hp and 775 pound-feet of torque, making it more powerful than any F-150 before it, including the V-8-powered variants that previously bore the Lightning badge.

The pickup can also tow up to 10,000 pounds and haul up to 2,000. Ford vows it will be profitable.

"If we want to get customers into BEVs, we have to show them better," said Darren Palmer, Ford's general manager of battery-electric vehicles. "When it can do more, it gives them a reason for buying."

There are two battery options: a standard-range that is expected to get 230 miles to a charge, and an extended-range that's set to get 300 miles.

4 trims

The Lightning will come in four trims, all of which will be available at the start of production. After the base model, the XLT starts at $52,974, and the high-end Platinum starts at around $90,000. The automaker declined to provide shipping charges or pricing for the Lariat trim, which falls between the XLT and Platinum. Ford charges $1,695 to ship and deliver the gasoline F-150, according to its website.

The sub-$40,000 starting price places the Lightning well below the $79,995 starting price tag on the upcoming GMC Hummer electric pickup and the $67,500 starting price of the Rivian R1T, which goes into production later this year. The F-150 Lightning is priced nearly identical to the Tesla Cybertruck, which starts at $39,900 before shipping, although that vehicle is likely to be classified as a medium-duty more on par with Ford's F-250.

"We're not here to make an electric truck for the few Ford is committed to building one that solves real problems for real people," Kumar Galhotra, Ford president, Americas and International Markets Group, said in a statement.

Ford said it was able to price the Lightning so aggressively because of scale and by sharing some common parts with its existing full-size pickups. For example, while the Lightning has a specially designed steel frame to protect the battery, Ford is sourcing it from the same supplier that builds the steel frame for the gasoline F-150.

"We didn't need to do a completely ground-up vehicle," Palmer said. "We have an aluminum-bodied vehicle that's already the head of its market. We didn't need to retool the whole thing. As a result, we can offer a vehicle at that price with this whole lineup and make money on it."

No spaceship

The exterior of the F-150 Lightning isn't a radical departure from the styling of the gasoline-powered model, although there are a few key differences.

The Lightning features a light bar that runs horizontally across the front of the vehicle and connects the tops of both headlights, with a similar taillight design. The grille area is closed off but largely resembles the size, shape and color of the grilles on gasoline-powered trucks.

The Lightning also has the same cab and bed dimensions as the gasoline F-150 to accommodate thousands of accessories already offered. In total, the Lightning's curb weight is between 1,000 and 1,500 pounds heavier than the gasoline-powered F-150.

"Our customers told us they want something modern and advanced, but did not want their truck to look like a doorstop or a spaceship," said Jasen Turnbull, marketing manager for the Lightning. "They wanted something distinct but not different."

The strategy stands in stark contrast to that of the Cybertruck, which Tesla CEO Elon Musk said was designed as "a futuristic battle tank."

Musk said Tesla did no customer research.

More power

Among the most prominent new features offered on the F-150 Lightning is a spacious front storage area, which Ford calls a mega power frunk. Unlike similar features on other EVs such as the Mustang Mach-E, which open from the hood, the Lightning's frunk opens from the bottom of the grille area, making it easier to lift heavy items in and out.

It's lockable, can carry up to 400 pounds and comes with four 110-volt power outlets and two USB charging outlets. There are multiple ways to divide the space and a drain at the bottom to help with cleaning.

Ford says the frunk has 2.4 kilowatts of power enough to run power tools, TVs, laptops, speakers, slow cookers and more without tapping the power offered in the bed.

Those frunk outlets give the Lightning more total on-board power than the current gasoline-powered truck, which introduced the on-board generator feature with the latest redesign. In total, the F-150 Lightning offers customers up to 9.6 kW of power, up from 7.2 kW offered on the gasoline model.

"It's the ultimate portable energy source," said Ryan O'Gorman, Ford's energy services lead.

Backup juice

The automaker will offer what it calls Ford Intelligent Backup Power, whereby the truck automatically starts to power a home if it is plugged in and a power outage occurs. To enable that, a customer must buy Ford's optional 80-amp wall box and home management system. The automaker is partnering with solar company Sunrun to install the boxes but did not provide pricing.

The 80-amp wall box is different from the Ford-branded wall box offered with the Mustang Mach-E for which Ford issued a stop-sale earlier this year.

Ford says the 80-amp wall box will add an average range of 30 miles per charging hour, fully charging an extended-range F-150 Lightning from 15 to 100 percent in about eight hours.

A 150-kW DC fast charger will give an extended-range Lightning up to 54 miles of range in 10 minutes and charge from 15 to 80 percent in about 41 minutes. Ford says its North American charging network includes more than 63,000 plugs.
'This sucker's quick'

The Lightning's interior largely resembles that of the gasoline-powered truck, with features such as a fully reclining front seat, folding gear shifter and flat work surface. But the Lightning gets the same 15.5-inch center touch screen offered on the Mustang Mach-E.

It will also be offered with Ford's hands-free BlueCruise driver-assist technology, which is set to debut later this year on the Mach-E and gasoline-powered F-150. And it will have over-the-air update capability, which Ford began offering this year.

The electric truck also will have on-board scales that can give drivers real-time payload information.

The vehicle is powered by a lithium ion battery that weighs roughly 1,800 pounds and is enclosed in a steel frame that's different from that on the current F-150. The entire length of the Lightning's underbody is capped by metal skid plates to protect the battery and both electric motors.

Ford began taking $100 refundable deposits for the F-150 Lightning late Wednesday after the reveal. The automaker said there will be separate sign-ups for retail and commercial customers.

The vehicle has already received its first review from President Joe Biden, who drove a prototype Lightning on Ford's Dearborn test track Tuesday as part of his visit to the automaker's Rouge Electric Vehicle Center.

"This sucker's quick," he told members of the media before punching the accelerator and speeding off.

JobSecurity
AG
So what comes with the base model? XLT doesn't seem awful for the price.

Should also qualify for the 7500 credit right?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
JobSecurity said:

They're all 4WD.

The "base model" is probably the XL.
nhamp07
AG
Website said should qualify for it.
AggieKatie2
AG
Lots of "targeted" language.

We are "targeting" 230/300 miles per charge

Targeting 2k payload, 10k towing

Also don't understand why they went with a different center screen than new f150.
HollywoodBQ
AG
That "frunk" is a trip
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
AggieKatie2 said:

Lots of "targeted" language.

We are "targeting" 230/300 miles per charge

Targeting 2k payload, 10k towing

Also don't understand why they went with a different center screen than new f150.

The 22 F150 will get the big screen on upper trims.
aggieforester05
AG
A frunk would be a huge selling point for me. I spent seven years daily driving a car and the lack of interior storage in trucks has really bothered me ever since.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Bed cover has improved this aspect for me. But that frunk would be pretty sweet
lotsofhp
AG
cledus6150 said:

Man I miss my lightning, I had a lot of fun in that thing in High School!

You were one lucky high schooler my friend
cledus6150
AG
Thank you, I was very lucky. It was my brothers truck then we swapped when he joined the USMC and left for California! I got the lightning he got my Chevy 1500!
tk for tu juan
Wish there were some underbody photos of the independent rear suspension and the rear motor/differential. Creates a whole new aftermarket in lift kits and other suspension mods

Also wish there was a regular cab short bed version to really take advantage of that 770 lb-ft of instant torque, haha
91AggieLawyer
AG
Jaydoug said:

300 mile range?
Is it a 150 mile range with a lawn mower in the bed?
Is it a 75 mile range towing an empty 12ft trailer?

Gotta see the whole story.

I think just as big a concern as all this are the questions: how long does the battery last (in years) and how much will it cost to replace?

What are people who are buying used EVs and hybrids but don't realize batteries have a finite life (and are expensive to replace) doing when they get the news?
MouthBQ98
AG
I'm wondering who's going to make an aftermarket diesel generator and fuel pack that fits in the Frunk that extends the range and can charge away from a station.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Jaydoug said:

300 mile range?
Is it a 150 mile range with a lawn mower in the bed?
Is it a 75 mile range towing an empty 12ft trailer?

Gotta see the whole story.

I think just as big a concern as all this are the questions: how long does the battery last (in years) and how much will it cost to replace?

What are people who are buying used EVs and hybrids but don't realize batteries have a finite life (and are expensive to replace) doing when they get the news?

Battery is covered by an 8 year 100k warranty
But yea if you keep it for 8 years then sell, probably going to be a big range of used prices depending on battery newness, sort of like golf carts now where the battery component is 30% of the cost of a used golf cart
Flaith
AG
that frunk is dope. I think this is well-executed
chimpanzee
HollywoodBQ said:

That "frunk" is a trip

I like that feature the best. I got rid of my '16 F150 after the 20th time I needed to haul the kids, dog and everything else when it was raining buckets and I didn't have time to crate and tarp up all of their crap. A frunk (or a Chevy Avalanche that didn't look like ass) would have been a game changer.

Towing range testing would be interesting to see, the Model X chewed through battery like a mofo at max towing, way more than the proportionate decrease in MPG you see in a gas engine.

But for how I used my truck, I could see an electric being a pretty good option.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Quote:

Also wish there was a regular cab short bed version to really take advantage of that 770 lb-ft of instant torque, haha
That will be the "Thunder"....
evan_aggie
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

JobSecurity said:

They're all 4WD.

The "base model" is probably the XL.

Yeah, "commercial oritented".

XLT is $52,974. That's what most buyers would want. So, $52,974 - $7,500 + $4,000 (?) in TTL?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

I'm wondering who's going to make an aftermarket diesel generator and fuel pack that fits in the Frunk that extends the range and can charge away from a station.
Ford should offer it with a Ford Accessory (TM) hood stack kit....

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.