Post pictures of old farm equipment

77,256 Views | 295 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by jejdag
Randy03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The deal is this, they are allowed to adopt modern technology when it assists them in producing more stuff, so as farmers they are allowed to have tractors or as furniture makers, they can have lathes (usually air-driven), because it doesnt make sense for them to be non-competitive, if they cant sell their wares, they cant maintain their tradition.

HOWEVER, they arent allowed to adopt modern technology to make their lives easier. As such, things that might be "creature comforts" they wouldnt adopt. Watched a really great documentary in Germany about the Amish.

Also .. the whole story there about Canyon's dad, if that doesnt tear you up .. you aint a human being, Ill leave it at that.
Centerpole90
AG
MLK87’s picture reminded me so much of a trip I went on a few years ago that I had to get out the prints and start scanning.

I bought the John Deere Type W power unit I referenced earlier in Voltaire, North Dakota. That is 1,800 miles north of the Rio Grande Valley; so yes, it was more about the experience of driving to ND than the engine, but that’s what make life fun right? I don’t even want to think of how many other W’s I drove past on the way!

First a little about engine, then the trip- Canyon posted great pictures of Type W’s on page 1. The Type W was the essentially the uber-popular Model D tractor cut in half. Everything that looks like it should work on a Model D will. The main case was different as there was no transmission but everything else was pretty much D. These engines were the model ‘111’ power units. However, depending on the job some details could vary. In Canyons first picture the motor on the left is the rarer variant, model ‘113’, or has been converted to such. This engine has no fuel tank or radiator. It was made to run 24 hrs a day, likely on an irrigation pump, from a remote fuel source. The cooling was done with the very water it pumped. The engine on the right in the bottom picture has a large flat belt pulley on it AND the heavy flywheel. I was told these flywheels were popular with sawmill engines. Another rare accessory is the lint-free cage that cotton gin models were equipped with. These large screens kept the loose lint floating around cotton gins form plugging up radiators.

Here is my engine sitting at a gas station on a VERY COLD morning in Mitchell, SD. Plain Jane Type W, model 111 engine.

Okay, so if you leave the RGV to retrieve a stationary engine that you’ve bought in ND in the month of DECEMBER there is a high probability that you are going to see the most snow you’ve ever seen. This trip didn’t disappoint. Luckily we planned our trip between fronts and the weather was beautiful and sunny. Temps in the high 30s, but if we’d stayed 24 more hours we would have been snowed in until Valentines Day! This is my friend Robert in the blue cap with the fellow who had the engine in the red cap. His name was W.O. “Rumely Bill” Krumwiede or Voltaire, ND.

Rumely Bill was quite the trader, collector, and character. Here is a picture looking one direction from his house…

Tractors, tractors, and in every direction, more tractors. Sitting around the house…. Engines, engines, and in every corner, more engines…

The barns were full of tractors too, but sitting outside was one of the tractors that helped him earn his nickname. The 30-60 Model E Rumely Oil-Pull tractor; 15,000 pounds of the original prairie buster…

Mr. Krumwiede came to be known as Rumely Bill because he once owned every model tractor the Advance Rumely Thresher Company ever built and one day he lined them up and had ran them all running right there in his yard. I wish I could have seen that. I googled him this evening and saw that he passed away in 2007.

Oil-Pull tractors, his signature collection, were large, lumbering, hulks that crawled across the prairie and stood for days on end turning threshers. They were outdated by the time row crop tractors came along in the late 20’s and with their shaded operator’s station seemed more at home with steam engines than other fuel tractors. If this thread isn’t dead I’ll take you on a photo tour around an Oil-Pull…
CanyonAg77
AG
Again, Centerpole, nice post, good story. That's the secret of collecting cars or tractors, the people you meet and the stories you hear.

I remember hearing that one of Paul Armmstrong's W power units was originally used to pump an oil well. Don't know which one.

I also had it in my mind that it was called a model E not a W. Am I completely wrong, or was there an E as well?

The D Deere was really an amazing tractor. Built from 1923 to 1953, I think it may hold the record for longest production run for a model. Here's one from the Paul Armstrong sale. It is called a "Spoker D" since the flywheel is spoked, not solid as the later models. My title says it is a 1924 model, but I can't confirm it.

If it is a 1924 model, it would be one of only 880 made with a 26 inch flywheel...which would hit the front axle in a hard turn. In 1925, they went to a 24 inch flywheel. Only 5846 total spoker Ds were made according to Google.

"Spoker D" circa 1924 (rare) by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

[This message has been edited by CanyonAg77 (edited 5/3/2012 10:50p).]
Centerpole90
AG
quote:
originally used to pump an oil well
I would guess the one with the heavy flywheel. The reason I say that is because pulling an oil well is a load/no load cycle, like a sawmill. The irrigation pump is a steady load. I believe those heavy flywheels let the engines get a good head of steam to get them through the upstroke and then build power again during the downstroke. Just my guess.

As an aside I think the tractor restoration competitions that FFA kids compete in are AWESOME. I saw you had an Abernathy FFA done tractor above. When I took the kids and their steers to the San Antonio Stock Show last year it was the first time I was aware this went on. What a great alternative/supplement to building shop projects. I could stand there all day and go down the line watching those kids light up when they talk about their projects. I hope that in a few years Centerpole Jr. is out there working in the shop on his. Luckily for him... I spent more time picking than restoring! Ha. Jokes on him.

Does anyone here have experience with their kids participating in one of these FFA/4H projects (restoration)?

ETA - IIRC the E was a small one-lung engine.

[This message has been edited by Centerpole90 (edited 5/4/2012 7:10a).]
dsvogel05
AG
There used to be an old timer, and I can't remember where he was located, but he would have a big show about once a year. For some reason, Pleasanton, Pearsall and Johnson City ring a bell. Anyways... he had the biggest collection of steam engines that I have ever seen. One was so big, he built a shed around it, and when it would fire, it would shake the ground a good ways away. One of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Like all kids, I didn't appreciate it, but I really miss going to stuff like that with my late grandpa and dad. It was the guys trips, and those were awesome.

Centerpole, did you ever go to Fred Townsend's shows that he had in Mission? I went quite a few times and he had stuff all over the place. For those of you who don't know, this was Dr. Joe's dad.
TecRecAg
AG
No one? Really... no one has heard the joke? Ok, I won't post for fear of permaban
confucius_ag
AG
Speaking of old farm equipment......

Be careful out there.

A local guy here was killed while running his shredder this week. According to the story I heard, the shredder deck was supposedly rusted and pretty thin. He ran over a piece of metal of some sort and it flew up taking off most of his ear and lodging in his head.
WreckedEm
Canyon,
Just wanted to say how much I appreciate the personal and poignant glimpse you gave into your life with your dad. Well done sir.
Mhickerson09
AG
Great story about your dad Canyon.

Seeing all these old tractors reminds me of my grandpa. He died when I was four but I still remember riding on a knee, finder, or curling up in the floor on the big tractor. Fond memories. I'll try and find some pics to post tonight
Mhickerson09
AG

Seems all I could find where these that are in frames already. I'm the small one.
Centerpole90
CanyonAg77
AG
Don't know how long this will last, as it is on Craigslist....but some here have talked about collecting and restoring old small engines. Well, here's one in its original job: powering a washing machine. This is one reason old farms had a wash house in a separate building, so if the washing machine caught on fire, it wouldn't burn down the whole house.

1929 MAYTAG MODEL A WASHER- $500 (Dumas Tx)

1929 MAYTAG MODEL A WASHER WITH MODEL 92 GASOLINE ENGINE UNKNOWN WORKING CONDITION. 806-68THREE 7THREE97

George08
AG

[This message has been edited by George08 (edited 7/16/2012 12:32a).]
SeaAGGIE05
AG
This is A1 Bugle Call material
bac
CanyonAg77
AG
Auto Board Denizens:

If you're wondering why this thread popped TTT, I cross-linked it on the Football Board.

I figured some more folks needed to read Czervik86's post on page 3 as we approach the first home game of the season.
Ellis Wyatt
This thread.
Mateo84
AG
Good bull
WildcatAg
AG
Well, this isn't farm machinery but it is machinery on a farm so hopefully that is O.K. in this thread. The photos below show my Grandfather and the first piece of heavy equipment he bought, an Allis Chalmers tractor with a loader attachment. My grandfather is the man smoking in the first picture and running the tractor in the second picture.

The photos were taken in 1940. My Grandfather was the first person to own a piece of heavy equipment in our Kentucky county. This is his first job with the tractor, building a pond for a local farmer. From what I can tell, the local paper did a story on the tractor which explains the high quality of the photographs. My Grandfather started in the earthmoving business in the early 1930s with a couple of mules so this tractor is obviously a big improvement. However, he would always tell folks that he didn't make any money until he starting buying Caterpillar equipment. My father and uncle took over the business in the 1970's and it continued to operate until 2001 when they ceased operation due to my father's heart-attack. I'm still disappointed that I didn't have the opportunity to takeover the operation of the business but I am extremely proud that my family was successful in such a competitive industry for over 65 years.

CATAGBQ04
AG
Very cool, thanks for sharing!

I always like to see how heavy equipment has evolved over the years...
Atreides Ornithopter
AG

After Canyon crosslinked this thread on the football board, I figured you guys might like this photo.

This is my great-grandfather( the tall bald one on the far left) moving a house with a steam tractor for his daughter in about 1920. This is taken near Cardiff, Illinois. It had become a ghost town, and my g-grandfather bought a vacant house for his daughter and son-in-law and moved it to their new 160 acre farm near Kempton, Illinois. And yes the blur over the engine is steam not a bad photo.

Anyone know what kind of tractor this is? My Dad doesn't know.

[This message has been edited by Brennus (edited 9/7/2012 3:40p).]
CATAGBQ04
AG
Posted the pic on the FB page of a buddy of mine that's a huge steam powered tractor buff.

Guarantee he'll know...
CATAGBQ04
AG
Ask and ye shall receive:

quote:
Late teens 50 or 65 HP case steam traction engine doing some old tyme house moving!

[This message has been edited by CATAGBQ04 (edited 9/7/2012 4:08p).]
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Thanks
CanyonAg77
AG
Very cool!

Yeah, the Case globe and eagle is pretty plain on the front end. Don't know much more about steam engines.

I posted a bigger version of this shot earlier. Looks very similar, is in the Hale County Farm and Ranch Museum, Hale Center.

IMG_2694 by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

[This message has been edited by CanyonAg77 (edited 9/7/2012 7:54p).]
OogsAggie
Wow Canyon/Czervik what a great story! Have to share that one with my mom and aunts as it will likely remind them of my grandfather.

On a side note I dated a girl from Lockney for much of my time at school. If not for the Google Machine's corroboration I would have called you a liar if you told me anything was ever "manufactured" there.

[This message has been edited by OogsAggie (edited 9/7/2012 10:29p).]
Centerpole90
AG
The eagle on the Case logo has a name...

WITHOUT GOOGLING... 2,500 internet points to the person who can provide the name of " ________ the Eagle".
CanyonAg77
AG
I know. Named after the mascot of a Wisconsin unit in a certain war.
CanyonAg77
AG
Found a modern photo very much like the one in Brennus' photo. Click on it to go to more like it.

[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/doversteamshow/1392667413/]Case Steam Engine
by The Dover Steam Show, on Flickr
powerbiscuit
CanyonAg77
AG
Case Eagle Story

for those who gave up.

And for more tractor pics, a thread about an auction of very rare tractors:

Expensive old iron

Auction catalog for above tractors. Some cool old cars and trucks, too.

[This message has been edited by CanyonAg77 (edited 9/10/2012 12:34a).]
CanyonAg77
AG
Farm sale pics from today

A wide front $3000 by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

H - $2300 by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

Sort of rare JD435, about 4500 made. Has a 2-cylinder, 2-cycle Detroit Diesel with a supercharger. Video of it running later.

435 Diesel - $4600 by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr
CanyonAg77
AG
60LP. Of about 61,000 model 60s, less than 3900 were made to run on LP gas.

60LP - $3200 by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

I like the farmer mod: Lights so you can drive at night. A friend found "Chevrolet" printed on one of the lights.

Farmer added field lights by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

In the "You don't see one of these every day" category,
a Shepphard SD-3 Diesel tractor with a 3-cylinder diesel.
Made from 1949 to 1963, Shepphard claims it was the first to sell diesel tractors.
Their SD-4 had a power steering unit, and today Sheppard makes power steering units for trucks

Shepperd Diesel SD-3 by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

Sheppherd engine data plate by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

Name plate by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr
CanyonAg77
AG
A model D farmer converted to propane, and falling apart

D - propane conversion - $600 by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

And to complete the day, I was running video when they started the JD 435.
A 2 cylinder, 2 cycle diesel was sure to have a distinct sound.
It did, but I videoed more than I expected.
Thankfully, no one was hurt, and the right front tire of the tractor hit the right rear of the auction truck.
So zero property damage as well.
LUCKY!

This is an object lesson on why you never start a tractor unless your butt is in the seat.

Video link

[This message has been edited by CanyonAg77 (edited 9/22/2012 4:20p).]
dubi
AG
That could have had a bad outcome!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.