Post pictures of old farm equipment

77,258 Views | 295 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by jejdag
dubi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
oops!

[This message has been edited by dubi (edited 9/24/2012 4:01p).]
Centerpole90
AG
OMG. Some of the LPG conversions done at home make my eyes hurt. But to be fair, for all the style, class, and grace the New Generation tractors had... it looks like LPG was an afterthought to them too.
CanyonAg77
AG
I'll see if I can find a picture of my dad's AR. It was a pretty nice farmer conversion. (he bought it that way, he didn't do the change)

I also recall when I was younger, a neighbor had an A converted to butane, and he simply hung a bracket off the frame rails so you had a 4 foot tall cylinder riding beside the engine.
CanyonAg77
AG
A -20 series with factory propane, not a lot prettier than that 4020

IMG_2322 by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

The farmer AR conversion, which doesn't look too bad.

IMG_2320 by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr
EskimoJoe
Totally agree on the uglliness of the propane tractors. Dad has a 720 on propane, and much like the 520 you posted, it looks butchered.
CanyonAg77
AG
However, if you have a factory propane, hang on to it. Usually just a small % of each year's production was propane. Makes them more desirable to collectors.

Propane was popular in West Texas, I don't know why it didn't catch on elsewhere.
CATAGBQ04
AG
At what point are they deemed unsafe to refill?
KY AG
AG
quote:

Man, I <3 wide-front 4020's. The shape...the headlights under the fenders, it's like the Stratocaster of tractors: it's what it should look like.

I'm going to put this (stock) image as a placeholder until I go back to the farm in a few weeks and get a pic of my Dad's Ford 5000.

Centerpole90
AG
Canyon - I have the litter-mate to that 520 here at home. Mine is a factory LP also and I bought it with the factory wide front - but not installed. The tractor also has and was originally equipped with 42" rear rubber for vegetable work. The fellow I bought it from used to put it under a tractor mounted cotton picker so he had the big single front wheel and 90 degree exhaust that lays it down on the hood so it would clear the picker. I use the single front b/c it makes it more manuverable when shredding around the barnyard or halter breaking show steers.

[This message has been edited by Centerpole90 (edited 9/28/2012 6:11p).]
CanyonAg77
AG
Photos of an old windmill and the pump jack used on it when the wind failed. The unique thing is that they are at the McDonald Ranch House near the Trinity site. So they pumped water for the likes of Oppenheimer, General Groves, Niels Bohr, Enrico Fermi, E.O. Lawrence, Glenn Seaborg, etc. etc.

Windmill head by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

Engine-driven pumpjack by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

If you want more Trinity Site (and other New Mexico pics) go to my trip report on the History Board
CanyonAg77
AG
Hey guys, was posting on the Panhandle board, looking for auctioneer recs. We're probably going to auction off most of Dad's collection in the next 3-6 months. Someone over there asked what we had, so I posted the list below. Though some of you folks would like to see it, too.

I plan to get some pics and videos up in the next few months, we'll probably sell closer to 6 months than 3. But in the meantime, here's the list if anyone cares

1949 Massey Harris Pony
1946 BF Avery A
1937 JD B
1945 BF Avery V
1944 Oliver 60T
1958 JD 420
1945 JD LA
1938 JD L
1944 JD A
1953 JD 60T LPG
2948 JD B
1943 JD H
1948 (approx) JD D (unrestored, complete)
1950 JD AR (farmer propane conversion)
MM/BF Avery
1957 JD 520W LP
Gibson A
Gibson Super D2
1938 JD G
Avery scrap
Oliver scrap
Centerpole90
AG
Keep me up to date on this Canyon. I know someone who sure might be real interested in the G. Was it a low radiator #? Seems like we've had this conversation before.

And - I know this isn't something someone enjoys... best of luck to you and I'll sure direct anyone interested toward the sale.
CanyonAg77
AG
Thanks for the kind words. These were not family tractors, they were some he picked up as a collector, so there isn't quite as much emotion involved. I will be keeping the best one, the Unstyled L on the first page of this thread, and the wagon he built.

I'm pretty sure it was not a low radiator, though it was early. Serial Number 5603.

[This message has been edited by CanyonAg77 (edited 1/14/2013 2:40p).]
MouthBQ98
AG
How on EARTH do you get the paint restored like that? I've got an old Ford 1600, and with all the grime and grease, how do you get the paint to adhere, even after degreasing?
CanyonAg77
AG
Sorry, I wasn't around when Dad did most of the work.

And I meant to add, if anyone is in the Hale Center area, the G and the Gibsons are in the Hale County Farm and Ranch Museum and easily seen. The '37 L and trailer are as well.

If someone is seriously interested in the sale, shoot me an email (in profile) or PM and I'll meet you in Hale Center and show you the stuff.
Centerpole90
AG
Well, even if they aren't family tractors, and I knew they weren't, I know what it takes to find, procure, restore, and maintain. My kids better darn well have some knots in their stomach when they sell my stuff!! insert winkie here.

I'm going to tell my friend in Coleman about the G. He is a G & GM aficionado.

Mouth - check out my post on page 3 of this thread. That's how you get them to look like that!
CanyonAg77
AG
Hey guys, we're going to put the bulk of Dad's equipment up for auction. I'd appreciate it if you'd take a look at our web site, and REALLY appreciate it if you'd pass the link on to anyone you think might be remotely interested.

Please check back in the weeks to come. As we pull the tractors out of storage, we'll get better photos.

Thanks!

http://www.troystractors.com/
CanyonAg77
AG
Sorry for the ttt, but we're beginning to get some videos up, Facebook page, etc. etc. Like us on Facebook, help us get the word out.

;
CanyonAg77
AG
This is NOT going in the sale, though I brought it home in the general barn cleanout. Around the time I was born or a little before, dad built a running kid-sized tractor. It wasn't in running shape through most of my growing-up years. It was given to a neighbor, and the matching trailer he built for it was sold for scrap (stupid stupid stupid) Many years ago, I retrieved it from the neighbor, and it has set in the barn ever since. It's definitely on my list to restore soon.

IMG_3878 by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

For those not familiar with JD tractors, here's what they looked like when the above was built (Google photo)

Below is a photo of the homebuilt alongside a newer (though still 20 years old) John Deere.

IMG_3911 by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

[This message has been edited by CanyonAg77 (edited 3/27/2013 1:05p).]
CATAGBQ04
AG
That 4960 is a beast
CanyonAg77
AG
I like it. At the time, it was the biggest row crop tractor Deere made at 200HP. Newer ones have surpassed it.
powerbiscuit
Centerpole90
AG
Canyon, THAT is an heirloom! What was it powered with? Please say an little JD hit-n-miss one lung engine!

When I thought that JD had built the perfect tractor in the 4850, they proved me right with the 4855... but then the 4960 came along. Solid machine. Best in the family.
aTm2004
AG
Taken near my wife's family farm in Mt. Ayr, IA during Ayr Days in 2011.

Centerpole90
AG
Canyon, when I was a kid my dad scratch built a couple running model tractors too. This is the second one. It had a blown big block. The block was a BBC built by Rodeck, it was solid aluminum. The one before had 2x blown BBC; he sold it and then built a smaller one so we wouldn't have to transfer all those weights for the 12k pound class.

Wow. Those were the days. No fire suit, no helmet - Khaki shirt and cowboy hat. I promise he is NOT wearing so much as earplugs in that picture. Final drive was from a JD log skidder.

[This message has been edited by Centerpole90 (edited 3/27/2013 9:02p).]
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
What was it powered with? Please say an little JD hit-n-miss one lung engine!

Sorry, plain old go-cart motor. Don't know if you could tell, but it was belt driven from the motor to the huge pulley, then a second belt ran to the rear axle. You put it in and out of "gear" with the long handle that tightened the final drive belt. Notice it looks a lot like the hand clutches on JD at the time.
wunderbrad01
AG
As far as getting paint to adhere, I always pressure wash as much as I can, then sandblast the whole thing(after quite a bit of disassembly). As long as you get in all the crevasses, and make sure all the blast material gets cleaned out properly, it paints up nicely.
CanyonAg77
AG
Hey auto board guys, just had an addition to the sale:

1951 Chevy Pickup, all original, never modded or restored.
Black in color
IRWIPI* in 1993
Artillery wheels
Very complete
Little rust
Windows have been vandalized

Belongs to a neighbor who just decided he wanted to put it in the sale.

* It Ran When I Parked It.
CanyonAg77
AG
Pictures of 51 Chevy Pickup are now up on web site.

Troy's Tractors dot com

[This message has been edited by CanyonAg77 (edited 4/1/2013 12:33p).]
Centerpole90
AG
Afternoon activity teaser pic.

More to follow...
George08
AG
">
George08
AG
">
Centerpole90
AG
Now THAT is first class! Y'all see that??? That's a 5 BOW buggy top umbrella. Not the common 3 bow like the poors.
George08
AG
">
George08
AG
quote:
Now THAT is first class! Y'all see that??? That's a 5 BOW buggy top umbrella. Not the common 3 bow like the poors.

nothing but the finest

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.