I-35 in Bell County

29,099 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by c-jags
mazzag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
4 cars in 2 minutes just now. Putting in another 121 exit seems dangerous, but maybe Belton is paying for it. James was given an ultimatum to have it open when it did finally open. Maybe they are fixing the dirt work so grass can grow.
Captain Pablo
AG
I doubt it's an exit

That would result in a crash a minute with cars coming onto and off of 121

I drove by there today and it looks like it's just drainage, and landscaping

Oh, and I did see one car on the fly over.... maybe business is picking up
petey88

FWIW, last week I was told the City of Salado is suing TXDOT over all the closed businesses and lost tax revenue. May be public knowledge as far as I know.

I do know businesses in Temple are hurting
3rd Generation Ag
AG
Drove to West and back today, meeting son's family there to return granddog.

It is really an easy drive once you get to the three lane, all the way there and back now. However I think they rebuilt too small. It was a ton of money just to add one more lane.
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:

FWIW, last week I was told the City of Salado is suing TXDOT over all the closed businesses and lost tax revenue. May be public knowledge as far as I know.

I do know businesses in Temple are hurting

The Salado highway construction fiasco is a disgrace

Somebody should be sued, and hit hard

As for Temple, not looking too good there either
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
Drove to West and back today, meeting son's family there to return granddog.

It is really an easy drive once you get to the three lane, all the way there and back now. However I think they rebuilt too small. It was a ton of money just to add one more lane.

Well, one more lane increased capacity by 50%
petey88

Let's just say, a Temple business, revenue is down over 19%, from last year to date.

It is not good
3rd Generation Ag
AG
I do know that it is really hard now to get to the things in the Target center and to get to the places in the Nugent/Adams area.
mazzag
AG
I remember when the 35 construction thru Hillsboro killed the outlet mall. I really don't believe this. I don't believe it about salado or temple either. I would go to salado to shop but then I realized inventory at most shops doesn't change. It's the same ole stuff every time I'd go. Belton has an ace hardware now and B&B's in salado were long gone before construction. Susan Marie's has a new owner but not a better selection or prices. I had a bad experience at the shed and one of the wine bars in Salado. Most shops are just overpriced and snooty.

Temple stores are so spread out and not convenient because of all the traffic lights. I can go to Harker Heights and Killeen (they also have hwy construction going on) where it's much easier to shop and eat than I can temple, with better inventory. Plus there's a service problem in Temple. Anyone been to Fuzzy's yet and had a good experience? I had a poor one and it wasn't because of the food wait time. It was because of the service. Kinda like meggs, which we've discussed before.
Who is salado going to sue? James? Please. The highway construction/renovation will enhance the town and access to it.
mazzag
AG
Also, one of the business closings in salado was because the owner owed the IRS a lot of money and the stagecoach will reopen after renovations by the new owners.
buckyisking
AG
On the bright side in Temple, it appears they are about ready to open the new bridges by Industrial.
c-jags
quote:
On the bright side in Temple, it appears they are about ready to open the new bridges by Industrial.
except that they closed industrial itself.

i literally live 400 yards from i 35 and cannot get onto it any way whatsoever in less than 8 minutes.

if i'm going north, i have to go all the way to buccees and wait on the light and ridiculous one lane of traffic.

if i'm going south, i have to go to adams, pass i35 on 53, turn around by sammon's, wait for that nightmare of a spot to open up for 5 seconds to turn left, head back to 35 and get on.

yeah i know i'm whining, but i wish they could finish one up before they close another.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
Makes no sense that they closed industrial. Not for the flow of traffic, not for residents, not for industry.
petey88

I was out that way a couple of weeks ago to go to CAC, it's a mess. I went to Fort Worth last week, stayed off I-35. Drove through Valley Mills, Meridian, Cleburne and into south Fort Worth.

Those crazy drivers on I-20 were going 80-90 MPH.

The drive up and back was comfortable, except it took 2 hours 45 minutes to go 125 miles. I did stop at a hardware store for about 15 minutes on the way back.

It getting where the only places I care to go to are Bryan College Station. I just don't like traffic.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
I actually made two trips to Fort Worth last week. My kids and grandkids are up there. It really is not bad at all after Bruceville Eddy. I am a slow driver and I made the trip in two hours to South Arlington and my daughter's house. The trip to my sons in Saginaw took longer because there was construction gridlock just before the 35/820 intersection, otherwise I would have been at his place in two hours and fifteen minutes. I did stop at a drive though on the second trip (Burleson). I also live in West Temple so I take the loop to 35 at the north end of town and miss the Temple mess.
buckyisking
AG
I drove around yesterday and the new industrial bridge appears to perform the exact same function as the old and the railroad crossing is open again. What am I missing?
3rd Generation Ag
AG
I have not tried to go there, but on the loop all the detour signs were still in place Sunday. I did not waste time trying to take the route with the detour signs up.
c-jags
quote:
I drove around yesterday and the new industrial bridge appears to perform the exact same function as the old and the railroad crossing is open again. What am I missing?
i actually need to mildly recant my previous rant.

whereas i used to be able to go across industrial and loopdeloop to get on i35S, i can now take the 3rd street bridge to get there.

it's open, but it has a crapton of orange traffic drums all over it.
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
quote:
i actually need to mildly recant my previous rant.

whereas i used to be able to go across industrial and loopdeloop to get on i35S, i can now take the 3rd street bridge to get there.

it's open, but it has a crapton of orange traffic drums all over it.

You are a classic case.of someone who needs to get from Temple to north belton, but it takes a half hour to do so

There are many like you who would benefit from a lake road or Sparta cut through to I-35

There currently is no decent route, which is stupid for towns that share a city limit

It would cut drive time in half
c-jags
Drove through Salado last night at 1 AM. All 3 lanes were open.

I drove there Tuesday morning at 4 AM and it wasn't open.

Progress?
Tube
All 3 lanes have been open during the day for a week or more. Also the speed limit is 70 through salado.
buckyisking
AG
Makes a huge difference. Merry Christmas to us.
mazzag
AG
Tube said:

All 3 lanes have been open during the day for a week or more. Also the speed limit is 70 through salado.

Since thanksgiving! Now time to finish Troy. Sadly 35 thru temple will become the new "salado". At least there's options around temple
buckyisking
AG
They seem to be moving a lot faster in Temple. I guess time will tell.
buckyisking
AG
I heard the Nugent crossing of 35 will close from January to August.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
I saw that. Sure will hurt the businesses along there that are trying to stay open.
c-jags
Not to negate the businesses but I think I've used that bridge maybe 3 times in 8 years.

Far less inconvenient for most than Industrial and the Adams crossing.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
Except without it how do you even get to roadhouse?
c-jags
I actually come from industrial South to there. And I don't go there ever. No whammy.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
From most of Temple you go adams, then north to that bridge, and cross over and back down. I don't eat out much any place since I don't like eating alone, but several of my students and former students work there. I would think the hotels in that area will hurt also.
buckyisking
AG
Damn. Some serious demolition in Temple last night. Nugent and Industrial are gone. It looks like a different place.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
We avoided the area on our trip to Denton and back this weekend. Will have to see it soon though.
mazzag
AG
I will avoid driving 35 thru temple until it's done. What a mess. When they're done they will realize it needed to be 8 lanes vs 6.
buckyisking
AG
I read somewhere it will be 8 lanes through Temple.
mazzag
AG
Probably from the south loop to central. Upper and lower decks. The businesses on the east side of the 35 thru there were saved.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.