I-35 in Bell County

29,112 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by c-jags
buckyisking
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Upper and lower decks? Like in Austin?
mazzag
AG
I believe so.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Suck it up Bell County. We lived with it for 4 years in McLennan and Hill County.
Now that is complete they are going to start redoing all of I-35 though Waco from Bellmead to Valley Mills Drive.
mazzag
AG
I've noticed this. Why are they redoing it?
c-jags
buckyisking said:

Damn. Some serious demolition in Temple last night. Nugent and Industrial are gone. It looks like a different place.

I totally forgot about it Sunday on my way to church. DPS absolutely wanted to do everything they could to keep me from going south. Took 40 minutes to get to TBC from industrial. My stupid mistake but they shut down EVERYTHING.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
I drove from downtown out West Adams today. You are right. The view north at I 35 is different. Have no idea how to really get to things on the west side of the interstate now, but hopefully the customers can figure it out. Closed businesses cost jobs.
buckyisking
AG
Pretty cool driving under the central bridges.
oklaunion
They were working on 35 the entire time I was in THS in the mid-70s. We would eat lunch on Sundays, after church, at Clems and watch the guys working on the interstate. Are they still at it?
JAW3336
AG
I'm surprised they worked in sunday's in the 70s
buckyisking
AG
Lots of concrete going down. Looks like we'll be on new pavement before long.
buckyisking
AG
It was a little difficult to get around today. Sounds like the road flooded again.
mazzag
AG
I read NB 35 was closed in Waco in front of mclane stadium due to a mudslide.
buckyisking
AG
That doesn't even sound possible.
mazzag
AG
It was mud from a construction site.
buckyisking
AG
Hugh Shine is posting about some big changes to the Central and Adams intersection. Stay tuned.
mazzag
AG
Busy day in the district with many official activities in House District 55.

We began the day with a progress report from James Construction regarding the traffic changes forth coming the weekend of May 6-7. A press conference will be scheduled Friday afternoon April 28, to give Temple Residents a week's notice to change their East-West traffic travels along Central Avenue and Adams Avenue at the IH 35 exchange.

A weeks notice.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
Anything too major will make it virtually impossible for me to get to my church downtown and for a number of people to get to their daycare providers. YUK.
JAW3336
AG
3rd Generation Ag said:

Anything too major will make it virtually impossible for me to get to my church downtown and for a number of people to get to their daycare providers. YUK.

Virtually impossible? Really?
3rd Generation Ag
AG
Yes, if they close Adams. I am NOT driving all the way around to Temple College where there is ALSO a huge construction mess to get to my downtown church. They took out the nugent overpass, so you can't go that way.

There really is no way to get to downtown from west Temple without a major horrid drive. One I probably won't make.

Several of our teachers in Rogers live in west Temple with downtown daycare at different locations. Again, if getting there becomes a thirty minute detour, it will be almost impossible to get to work on time.

Hoping for the best, but there is really no obvious alternate route if they close it down.
JAW3336
AG
You keep using that word "impossible".

I do not think it means what you think it means.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
It means that given my age (70) and my lifestyle it will be impossible for me to wend my way through some outrageous thing that adds thirty minutes to the trip. The construction at TC has taken away the option of going and coming that route. I don't do left turns without lights, so that makes some of the ways difficult. I have never made left turns in traffic without lights. I go past by a block and make three rights to avoid turning left and always have. The current bridge is not old by any means. Terrible planning to build something and then in a few years take it down, if in fact that is what they are going to do.
GIF Reactor
AG
Any one know what they are going to announce? No way are they going to demo the overpasses across 35.
JAW3336
AG
I would bet big money they will replace those overpasses.
GIF Reactor
AG
Yeah, sorry, I should have said that I don't think they will demo them both at the same time, leaving no option across 35 at that location. They already have a portion of the new Adams bridge constructed.
JAW3336
AG
Agreed. They will have to leave at least one lane each direction. I bet they are going down to one lane in one direction and it is going make rush hour traffic suck. Although in Temple it is more like rush 20 minute traffic.
JAW3336
AG
3rd Generation Ag said:

The current bridge is not old by any means. Terrible planning to build something and then in a few years take it down, if in fact that is what they are going to do.

Which bridge are you referring to?

The bridges over 35 at Adams and central are more than a few years old. And no way they planned on 35 being completely redeveloped through Temple. And Txdot has 0 forward thinking.
JAW3336
AG
You were referring to other teachers when you said it would be impossible for them to get to work on time, which is ridiculous. It will be inconvenient, but no where near impossible.

I have a 76 mile 2 hour commute to work on Tuesdays and Thursdays through rush hour mopac traffic to drop my son off at kindergarten and then I-35 and I make it on time 95%of the time. I just leave at the appropriate time. In fact most days we are early to school.
c-jags
not that i delight in anybody's pain, because i don't.

but welcome to my nightmare the last 2 years with industrial. Y'all's Adams overpass is my industrial....
JAW3336
AG
3rd Generation Ag said:

Again, if getting there becomes a thirty minute detour, it will be almost impossible to get to work on time.

Here are the travel times from westfield on west adams to jack in the box downtown.

Taking adams/central it is 12 min

taking the loop to 31st and then central it is 17 min

taking the loop to 5th and then 3rd it is 17 min

taking hillyard to the loop/industrial to 35 down to 3rd it is 20 min

so maybe a 5-10 minute detour MAX.
buckyisking
AG
Your well reasoned logic has no place here. James Construction and TXDOT are bad mmmmkay.
c-jags
I don't hate Txdot but I do James a little.
buckyisking
AG
Asked around a little. East bound bridge will be closed. West bound bridge will be made 2 way.
GIF Reactor
AG
Saw this from the Temple Chamber of Commerce, from TxDOT:

On May 2, significant traffic pattern changes over I-35 will occur on the Central Ave. and Adams bridges. The contractor will continue to work on the new Adams Ave. and Central Ave. bridges. Barricades and barriers are planned for Airport Rd. over I-35. The interchange under the Adams Ave. will close. Travelers are to read all detour signs for proper direction and plan for extra time to drive thru this area.

Northbound Travelers
The northbound exit, off of I-35, to Central Ave./Adams Ave., will remain open. Exiting traffic will be directed to make a right turn onto Central Ave. To access the businesses north of Adams Ave, travelers will be directed to turn north on 31st St. then west onto Adams Ave. to get back onto the northbound frontage.

Southbound Travelers
The southbound exit, off of I-35, to Central Ave/Adams Ave. will remain open. Exiting traffic will be able to stay on the southbound frontage to access the businesses south of Central Ave. or to enter I-35 southbound. Southbound exiting traffic will be able to turn west onto Adams Ave. Southbound travelers needing to access downtown Temple will be able to turn south onto 43rd St. then east onto Central Ave.

Eastbound Travelers
Travelers going east on Adams Ave. will be able to turn south to access southbound I-35 or travel east towards downtown Temple. Eastbound travelers will be detoured from eastbound Central Ave. on to Adams Ave. Adams Ave. bridge will be changed to a two-way (eastbound-westbound) configuration. Once eastbound travelers crossover I-35, thet will be directed south onto 33rd St. then east onto Central Ave.

Westbound Travelers
Travlers going west on Adams Ave. (from downtown Temple) will be directed to travel west onto Airport Rd. westbound travelers needing to travel west on Adams Ave. we be directed south on 43rd St.
GIF Reactor
AG
They have some corresponding graphics as well if you care to look them up.

I hope this won't be as bad as I am imagining.
mazzag
AG
How long will this last? Dang. It's a labyrinth just to get to downtown temple. Does this hurt businesses there? I don't go often but it's because of 35.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.