I-35 in Bell County

29,106 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by c-jags
mazzag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I agree with this 100% but when the decline started, it was the construction's fault, according to outlet mall people, much like Salado blamed 35 construction for it's decline. Shoppers from the north and south to Salado had alternate routes to take if they really wanted to shop that bad in Salado, so we'll see. My husband's son works at the RR outlet and it's even declining in sales. Not so much his store, but others are struggling.
Captain Pablo
AG
mazzag said:

I agree with this 100% but when the decline started, it was the construction's fault, according to outlet mall people, much like Salado blamed 35 construction for it's decline. Shoppers from the north and south to Salado had alternate routes to take if they really wanted to shop that bad in Salado, so we'll see. My husband's son works at the RR outlet and it's even declining in sales. Not so much his store, but others are struggling.
I agree that Salado was DEFINITELY due to construction.

Most of their business are merely YARDS off the higheay.

A very large percentage of their customer base is out of town tourists. They just quit coming because it was so bad, and SOOO protracted.

And it was flat out dangerous

That whole Salado mess was one sorry chapter in the book of TxDOT and the people it hired

Downtown Temple has some retail, but they are also heavily culinary, patronized primarily by locals who know their way around

I don't shop downtown, but I've drank a few beers down there!
mazzag
AG
ber and a good band will get me to downtown temple easily. And that usually includes dinner downtown too. But it's a combination of all 3 that motivates me. The 3-2 lane squeeze to get to Adams/central exit gives me flashbacks of driving thru Salado and it's scary.
jpb1999
AG
Edit: not Chimys anymore, something else by the same owners.

Speaking of beer downtown, last I heard a Chimy's is going in, kinda near the goldkey building. The next door big field or tree area will be turned into the "MLK" festival grounds where concerts and events will be held. Should be a nice eastern edge to the other downtown restaurant/bars. I just wish BJs brewery would be more in the downtown area...
c-jags
Probably affects very few on this board but industrial is full open as of today.

Been adding an extra 3-10 minutes for getting on 35 for me depending on lights or traffic.

Small potatoes, but it's the little things.
buckyisking
AG
Central exit closing. Have to exit 57th.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
How are they planning on people getting downtown?

57th street exit does not go downtown?
buckyisking
AG
Sounds like exit 57th and continue on the frontage road. I guess they're opening the new bridge over the tracks.
mazzag
AG
North bound or south bound? When?
3rd Generation Ag
AG
If they open that bridge it won't be too bad. If people have to go a very long way around it will be tough.
mazzag
AG
http://ktemnews.com/txdot-will-shut-down-northbound-i-35-exit-301-in-temple-this-weekend/
c-jags
But how will people get to CFA!?!
mazzag
mazzag
AG
c-jags said:

But how will people get to CFA!?!

Umm, ya live over there. Head west and it's to the north. It's the titty babies in west BISD that are crying which makes me lol. They think they're entitled to CFA. They're getting Burger King.
buckyisking
AG
Drove to Central using 57th exit this morning to try it out. Works pretty damn well. If it shaves 4 months off the project, as said in the paper, then I say bravo James Construction.
mazzag
AG
buckyisking said:

Drove to Central using 57th exit this morning to try it out. Works pretty damn well. If it shaves 4 months off the project, as said in the paper, then I say bravo James Construction.

It really doesn't seem that inconvenient. I haven't needed to use it but I don't get all the b&m o Facebook.
JAW3336
AG
Used it at 7:45 this morning and I doubt it added 30 seconds to my drive. Very easy to use.
mazzag
AG
I noticed yesterday the central/Adams bridges are open.
JAW3336
AG
They have been open for about a week.
c-jags
The current set up is actually worse to me.

I've complained enough as it is, but somebody is going to get rear ended at the stop sign crossing 35. Is what it is.
mazzag
AG
The Leon River bridge by Summer Fun is closing to one lane with occasional complete closures. Starting today till October 10th.
jpb1999
AG
Ha, I just went back and read through some of the Salado and temple downtown bashing. Temples downtown is about to explode. Multiple restaurants coming in, Santa Fe plaza, Market Trail, and MLK fields we be complete in the next few years, and most of the old buildings have been bought up waiting for development. 1st street from Ave c north to Central will also get a makeover soon, along with a possible parking garage... I mean I can't prefict the future, but nothing indicates it going dead.

Salado is the same... it has been held back from 35 construction and development reasons that are now gone, but it is still growing at record pace as far as residents moving in. There are still some problems to overcome but I think you will see some new blood coming in soon. I hope it goes a younger hipper bar/restaurant scene, but that will have some resistance I think.

Spane Bohem

mazzag
AG
dodger02 is definitely against the hipsters coming into Salado. The whole scene on Royal St is great, IMO but I don't live there. I did read where the folks that own pignetti's are opening a restaurant at the old Range called the Barton House. Salado needs to get back to it's art and high end shopping roots for sure.
jpb1999
AG
Yeah, Clinton had a soft opening already but not fully open yet. The pignettis manager also is moving to Salado, so I expect some pretty good food.

Also check out the revamped Inn on the Creek and Alexander's. I haven't been lately but here it is really good!

Spane Bohem

mazzag
AG
We love Alexander's. Well, actually the bartender keeps us returning. Love/hate that the bar is downstairs. New menu is awesome, reminds me of Wildfire in Georgetown. Will try the Barton house as well.
buckyisking
AG
Central and Adams area looks SO different with the last bridge gone. It looks like they will finished soon.
c-jags
"Soon". Lolz.

It is nice to be able to turn left over 35. I'll say that much.
mazzag
AG
I didn't know the McDonald's was getting demolished. Are they rebuilding another one?
Cowboy1990
Was wondering the same thing. Assuming since some of the greenery and neither of the signs have been taken down that they are rebuilding. Was remenissing last time I drove by there about the old western style paintings that hung on the wall there when I was a kid.
c-jags
Yeah that was a shock for me on the the Northside when I saw it one day. The business office next to it is still there. That and the fact I've never seen a McD's shut down, especially on an interstate, makes me think it comes back.

I'm not proud of this but I'm known to grab a .99 cheeseburger from there on occasion.

The Charter building behind HEB on 31st was also demolished in the past couple of weeks. That was a surprise.
watty
AG
They are already working on rebuilding the Mcdonalds
mazzag
AG
Good to know. I guess it will be as ugly and un kid friendly looking as the others in the area.
templeton
c-jags said:

The Charter building behind HEB on 31st was also demolished in the past couple of weeks. That was a surprise.
I heard they're making an HEB gas station there.
c-jags
templeton said:

c-jags said:

I heard they're making an HEB gas station there.

i'm sure that's nice for south Templers though. not a ton of options for gas on a good bit of the loop and 31st.
Cowboy1990
Sounds like a huge development is going in across the interstate from Buccees. As big as buccees is I've been by there twice this month and couldn't find a pump open. Of course, so many people park at the gas pumps and walk into the store so that causes overcrowding IMO

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.