Houston
Sponsored by

Hurricane season 2023

101,711 Views | 738 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by CDUB98
ktownag08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You mean July 28th? As in Friday?...
W
AG
the heat dome is keeping the storms away
Cromagnum
AG
We effectively have two months to be on watch now. Though it has not happened in close to 25 years, we can technically still get smacked by something all the way to mid October.
schmellba99
AG
Seabreeze said:

Cromagnum said:

All I know is Texas is set to broil until something from the gulf comes into dislodge the high pressure and heat.

High pressure always wins that battle
Yep. And if the choices are a high with hot and relatively dry weather or a fuggin tropical system above a depression strength...I'll take the high pressure all day and twice on Sundays.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Cromagnum said:

We effectively have two months to be on watch now. Though it has not happened in close to 25 years, we can technically still get smacked by something all the way to mid October.
I think you mean close to 35 years
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Jerry_(1989)
Cromagnum
AG
P.H. Dexippus said:

Cromagnum said:

I think you mean close to 35 years
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Jerry_(1989)

Thanks. Symptom of catching the olds. "30 years ago" used to mean 1970s, and now it means 1993. Oof.
Cromagnum
AG
Whomever said they hate cold weather around here...I hate you.

BayAg_14
Every time I look at the 10 day forecast…

V8Aggie
AG
Yeah you guys aren't stuck inside with a toddler and a pregnant wife. I don't want to hear it.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Might want to add a little vodka to that V8.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Well that sounds like a problem you created yourself so no sympathy from us either.
wessimo
AG
AlaskanAg99
AG
All this also known as August.

Same *****

Every Year.
aTm '99
Cromagnum
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

All this also known as August.

Same *****

Every Year.

Yes, but it's been August for the last two months already.
wessimo
AG
Obviously it is always hot in Houston during the summer, but some summers are more miserable then others. There was a summer within the last few years where the high never got to 100F. This summer is approaching 2011 levels of suck.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Two most memorable summers for me are 1998 and 2011. I think 98 was the first time I heard of El Nino and that summer was brutal in College Station. In 2011 we had severe drought around here. This year I think has had more 100 degree days than I can recall. Just sucks right now.
wessimo
AG
Found this site via Google - you can plug in a city and temperature and see how many days in each year it was above a given temp:

https://www.extremeweatherwatch.com/cities/houston/yearly-days-of-100-degrees

Surprised we are only at 9 so far this year.

Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
No way I believe only 9
I think there were 9 in June alone . All of July has sucked and august sucks too
Cromagnum
AG
There's no way last year was worse than this summer. I don't believe that for a second.
Martin Q. Blank
Cromagnum said:

There's no way last year was worse than this summer. I don't believe that for a second.
You just don't remember last year. It started way early in May and didn't let up until October. At least this year we had a normal ramp up.
wessimo
AG
You are right, IAH (official weather station for Houston) shows 15 100 degrees days so far.

It has been 98 or 99 another 23 days. Since June 15th the high has been below 95 on only five days

htxag09
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

Cromagnum said:

You just don't remember last year. It started way early in May and didn't let up until October. At least this year we had a normal ramp up.
So many different factors....but pretty sure the heat index has been worse this year. I know Space City did a comparison in mid July and the standard air temps in 2022 were higher. But factor in heat index, and this year had been hotter. Just looking at nights where we didn't get out of the 80s, it was like 8 days in 2022 vs. 20 days this year.
AgLiving06
I've begun to sour on Lanza. I find it hard to say he's still on the "no-hype" train and not turning into your standard climate alarmist.

Yes it's hot. It's Texas and the summer. Yes this feels a lot more like 2011 than 2022, but we survived the other years and we will survive this one.

See the positive...this high pressure system is protecting us from hurricanes. I'll take that for another 2 months easily vs a harvey or Ike or whatever else might come our way.

Bert315
AG
AgLiving06 said:

I've begun to sour on Lanza. I find it hard to say he's still on the "no-hype" train and not turning into your standard climate alarmist.

Yes it's hot. It's Texas and the summer. Yes this feels a lot more like 2011 than 2022, but we survived the other years and we will survive this one.

See the positive...this high pressure system is protecting us from hurricanes. I'll take that for another 2 months easily vs a harvey or Ike or whatever else might come our way.

I've pretty much quit Lanza and SCW. They've gone all in on climate change and cannot see the flaw in their own logic. Sad as they were really good when they first started. I just want the weather, not your view on how hot it is and why. It's Houston in July and August, it's going to be freaking hot so shut up or move to El Paso…or out of the state
htxag09
AG
Eh, kind of is what it is to me.

I eye roll the people who bring up 2011 anytime someone says it's hot because its not as hot as 2011 just like I eye roll people who say crime is down this year.
BowSowy
AG
Bert315 said:

AgLiving06 said:

I've pretty much quit Lanza and SCW. They've gone all in on climate change and cannot see the flaw in their own logic. Sad as they were really good when they first started. I just want the weather, not your view on how hot it is and why. It's Houston in July and August, it's going to be freaking hot so shut up or move to El Paso…or out of the state
I get it, and I agree. But I imagine it also gets pretty boring to write about Houston weather in July and August. I've been wondering why they haven't just gone to weekly updates for this time of year.
evestor1
AgLiving06 said:

This is like saying the covid vaccine makes covid easier to handle.

There is no benefit to a high pressure system in july that moves in to August for Houston. Maybe for Mexico and South TX, but not for Houston.
AgLiving06
evestor1 said:

AgLiving06 said:

This is like saying the covid vaccine makes covid easier to handle.

There is no benefit to a high pressure system in july that moves in to August for Houston. Maybe for Mexico and South TX, but not for Houston.

Is it ideal? No, but look at the second part of my sentence...If we have to take it for another 2 months to avoid hurricanes, I'll take it and we will survive just fine.
Dill-Ag13
AG
I'm gonna jinx it because I'm done with summer... I bet we don't see any hurricanes this year
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

I'm gonna jinx it because I'm done with summer... I bet we don't see any hurricanes this year

As someone who took a butt****ing from Harvey, go **** yourself

Respectfully of course.
Martin Q. Blank
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

Dill-Ag13 said:

As someone who took a butt****ing from Harvey, go **** yourself

Respectfully of course.
We could use the rain.
Furlock Bones
AG
schmerbs is going to go ballistic on this post
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Cromagnum said:

People forgot how hot June 2022 was. It actually cooled down in July.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
AgLiving06 said:

The dude's twitter timeline is a hot mess of broken-brain lib insanity.
cone
AG
Lanza is very emotional about it being hot in the summer.

I listen to Berger but tune Lanza out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.