Houston
Sponsored by

2022 Hurricane season

44,228 Views | 267 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by evestor1
Bonfired
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agasaurus Tex said:

Also similar to Ike generating Cat 3/4 storm surge even though it may only be a Cat 1/2 at landfall.
This is the scenario that looks like it may play out. It doesn't appear that it is going to stall out over land and meander around after making landfall like Harvey did.

Hopefully the slowdown isn't as pronounced as projected.
Seabreeze
Stalls probably going to happen like was hinted last night. But it won't be a pronounced as Harvey, it will at least move 3 to 5 mph NE.
AgLiving06
Ian is now a borderline category 5 storm.

On the plus side I have the fox weather channel streaming at work and Britta is front and center on the news coverage.
LostInLA07
AG
It's 2mph from cat 5. I imagine they'll find an area of higher winds and revise the category later.
Seabreeze
Hurricane hunters now finding 140kt winds=161 mph. Likely to be be bumped to cat 5 at 10am update
Cromagnum
AG
Seabreeze said:

Hurricane hunters now finding 140kt winds=161 mph. Likely to be be bumped to cat 5 at 10am update

Username certainly checks the eff out.
Ag12thman
AG
Many prayers and thoughts to Florida and its residents. I'll be sending donations to help with disaster recovery.
94chem
Ag12thman said:

Many prayers and thoughts to Florida and its residents. I'll be sending donations to help with disaster recovery.
Amen. I have an Aggie friend on Sanibel. Big family, husband is a pastor.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Seabreeze
Ag12thman
AG
Horrible. That is a nightmare for Florida. Other states will need to come to their aid. I know we sent several groups to Louisiana when they were hit not too long ago, so I know we'll do the same for our Floridian brethren.
Jackal99
AG
jrrhouston98
AG
My wife has family in Ft. Myers. We're praying for their safety. So far they have said just a lot of rain and wind, but no flooding where they are. Power did go out within the last hour.
Jackal99
AG
My mom has a few cousins in Ft. Myers. One lives two blocks from the water, and they were staying put.
Seabreeze
Some places in Fort Myers with water rising into 2nd stories and people moving to attics requesting air lift. No air support is coming anytime soon.
Sea Speed
AG
Seabreeze said:

Some places in Fort Myers with water rising into 2nd stories and people moving to attics requesting air lift. No air support is coming anytime soon.

There isn't a worse way to go than drowning in your attic by rising water.
sts7049
AG
not much of a dumber way to die than staying put in a storm like this
Seabreeze
Seabreeze
Countless stories from any land fall of any hurricane across the gulf that are all the same. People always say ehh until it's on their ass. If you live neat a body of water that has the potential to rise several feet in minutes you can probably kiss your house goodbye, no reason to go with it.
Seabreeze
After Alicia, Ike I thought people were smarter here, then Harvey happened after Allison. Still Dumb asses that have lived thru this stuff say Ehh..
Seabreeze
Always keep a Ax in your attic for this very reason.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
I really don't plan to put myself in a position to need an axe in an attic.
It's just a house.
maroon barchetta
My mom's house in Galveston had a roof hatch. It was built in 1914 or thereabouts and builders installed escape hatches at that time since so many people had drowned in attics in previous storms.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Storm surge is generally pretty easy to know. If it's coming up to the "you're going to drown" level, it's time to leave.

I remember my family freaking out when we decided to stay for Ike because we were way above the predicted storm surge (like 20' above) and the place we were living was solidly built. We never even lost power. My sister who lived a "safe" 100 miles north had serious damage to her house and lost power for 3 weeks.
maroon barchetta
ThunderCougarFalconBird said:

Storm surge is generally pretty easy to know. If it's coming up to the "you're going to drown" level, it's time to leave.

I remember my family freaking out when we decided to stay for Ike because we were way above the predicted storm surge (like 20' above) and the place we were living was solidly built. We never even lost power. My sister who lived a "safe" 100 miles north had serious damage to her house and lost power for 3 weeks.

If the storm has arrived and it's raining sideways and the wind is hurricane strength, and the surge has started, it's too late to leave.
Seabreeze
People in Fort Myers until 5am had no idea they would need them. The forecast cone and strength of the storm was way off.. As much as we pretend to know about hurricanes, **** still happens.
sts7049
AG
it wasn't way off at all. they were within the cone days ago, and the intensity was well forecasted and accurate.
terradactylexpress
Seabreeze said:

Always keep a Ax in your attic for this very reason.

This just seems like a good way to drown with tired arms
AgLiving06
One thing worth pointing out is just how good the NOAA and the NHC are at figuring out where the storm is going.

With all the uncertainty, they still nailed the path of this storm.

Ag12thman
AG
Not good for S. Carolina:

tk for tu juan
That is a big wind field
Smeghead4761
I'm trying to remember my geography from when I was stationed at Ft Jackson, but looks like it's heading right at Charleston, then on the Columbia.

Looks like whatever basic training companies are at that point in their training cycle are going to get their culmination exercise shortened by a day or so. It happened to me with Bonnie back in 2004, but it was only about 12 hours.
Ag12thman
AG

Heros. And they were for many of us after Harvey, too.
redag06
Heroes that are about to make BANK.

But that isn't 40k.

CenterPoint sent about 450 for reference.
Hwy30East
I saw the convoy of CenterPoint trucks and crews leaving for Florida, I believe on Tuesday morning. It was kind of eerie seeing it, and knowing what was about to happen to Florida.
LostInLA07
AG
Mutual assistance agreements between utilities are a great example of efficiency in private industry.

Also linemen and utility workers are the least recognized "emergency responders" but work their asses off away from their families for weeks at a time to restore essential services.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.