Houston
Sponsored by

11th Street Bike Lanes Update

38,451 Views | 463 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by drumboy
Ryan the Temp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks like Durham is losing a lane above W. 11th. Probably more bike lane boondoggle.
digging tunnels
AG
I was surprised to see bike lanes created on Shepherd/Durham between Washington Ave and Feagan. Was it really necessary to create a quarter mile worth of bike lane on both sides? I don't ever recall bikers riding down in this section of the streets
TX04Aggie
AG
Shepherd and Durham above 11th are brutal right now. I fully expected them to take a lane away for stupid bikes because cruising down Shep/Durham is totally made for a bike ride…. Not.
texagbeliever
I know the bike lanes get alot of noise for 11th, but after just driving on that road do they think maybe just maybe having those quasi stop sign for pedestrian crosswalks every 20 feet just might be overkill?
Ryan the Temp
AG
texagbeliever said:

I know the bike lanes get alot of noise for 11th, but after just driving on that road do they think maybe just maybe having those quasi stop sign for pedestrian crosswalks every 20 feet just might be overkill?
Considering the placement makes them hard to see, they don't really make people stop.
MAS444
AG
I like the pedestrian crosswalks and do see people stopping at them for pedestrians. Sometimes. However, some people think they're stop signs and stop even when no one is crossing.
Panama Red
AG
I recently saw an old jogging in the bike lane. It was most troubling. I called HPD, but as usual they were useless.
Furlock Bones
AG
In the UK, the pedestrian crosswalks flash when a pedestrian enters it. Much safer and easier for everyone. But we can never do those things right in the states.
Lonestarandi
AG
At one point it was all the way from 610 to the bridge on Shep & Durham. I forget where it finally landed.

https://memorialheightstirz5.com/shepherd-durham-project-safety-accessibility-and-roadway-improvements/
YellAg2004
AG
Lonestarandi said:

At one point it was all the way from 610 to the bridge on Shep & Durham. I forget where it finally landed.

https://memorialheightstirz5.com/shepherd-durham-project-safety-accessibility-and-roadway-improvements/

It will ultimately go from 610 to I10 on both Shepherd and Durham. The current project goes from 15th to 610. The section from I10 to 15th is wrapping up design.
Ryan the Temp
AG
The dead cat in the bike lanes is a nice recent touch.
Texan_Aggie
AG
I got stuck behind a line of cars behind a single cyclist in spandex going west on 11th in the regular lane instead of the designated bike lane.

Made me wonder, can a bicyclist get a ticket for using the street when there are designated bike lanes?
chico
AG
Texan_Aggie said:

I got stuck behind a line of cars behind a single cyclist in spandex going west on 11th in the regular lane instead of the designated bike lane.

Made me wonder, can a bicyclist get a ticket for using the street when there are designated bike lanes?
Those blocked-off bike lanes, with physical barriers separated from the traffic, are awful!
They get filled with dirt, mud, broken glass, car parts - you ride in there then you're either getting a flat tire or falling off your bike. The city actually bought a machine to clean those separated bike lanes out (regular street sweeper won't work) and the machine broke in less than a month. Plus there are too many cars cutting through perpendicular or turning right/left in front of you that they're too dangerous on a bike.
That said, I wouldn't ride in the main lanes of 11th St either. I do ride 10th, 12th and parallel.
Sea Speed
AG
Texan_Aggie said:

This dude deserves an open car door to the ass
Chewy
AG
This reminds me a couple of weeks ago I was on 11th at Heights headed West.

I caught the red light so had to stop before Heights. As the light turned green for those going northbound on Heights a lady was jogging south on the trail so she proceeded across 11th.

The truck headed north on Heights had his blinker on waiting to turn left after the lady came across 11th.

Right when the lady hit 11th she started giving the driver the Dikembe Mutombo finger wag and pointing to the no left turn sign.

After she passed across 11th the driver sat there for a second and then proceeded to turn left. Apparently the Dikembe finger wag and pointing to the left turn sign wasn't enough to deter him.
agnerd
AG
Texan_Aggie said:

Yes, it is illegal to ride in a lane of traffic if a bike lane is available and doesn't have a hazard in it that is making it unsafe. But good luck getting HPD to write a ticket for it.

Now if you get a big group together to inundate 911 with calls every time someone does it, you can then do a public information request for the number of calls about bike lane violations. You can then present those numbers to city council as evidence of how "unsafe" those bike lanes are and how much they are clogging up the 911 line.

Then you have to be overdramatic and tell city council members that if a person dies because a call can't get through because Lance Armstrong is riding in the street, the blood will be on their hands. Don't forget to post the video to twitter.
TX04Aggie
AG
Noticed concrete island at 11th and Heights by Kolache Shoppe is taking a beating…. And now Westcott round about is closed until December, it is like the city doesn't want me ever crossing the freeway now….
Happygilmore20
AG
Just saw a group of 15 bikes taking up the only lane on 11th. Glad we gave them a whole dedicated lane for them to ignore so we can't move around them. Go bikes!
Ryan the Temp
AG
They had the new special street sweeper out yesterday. The best part was they had a crew walking in front of it using leaf blowers to blow all the dirt and debris into the main lanes. What's the f'ing point if the street sweeper can't sweep up the dirt and debris?
htxag09
AG
TX04Aggie said:

Noticed concrete island at 11th and Heights by Kolache Shoppe is taking a beating…. And now Westcott round about is closed until December, it is like the city doesn't want me ever crossing the freeway now….
Are you talking about the Washington/Westcott roundabout? It opened back up this past weekend...
chico
AG
Ryan the Temp said:

They had the new special street sweeper out yesterday. The best part was they had a crew walking in front of it using leaf blowers to blow all the dirt and debris into the main lanes. What's the f'ing point if the street sweeper can't sweep up the dirt and debris?

Send them over to the Hardy St bike lane. I took these pics on my ride July-1.

TX04Aggie
AG
Sweet!! Ive been out of town, but when they announced plans to close it, they said until December, glad that was wrong!
Irish 2.0
Noticed about 8 of the ****ers taking up a traffic lane on Yale this weekend...one street over the ****ers have dedicated lanes...BUT NO!!!!

****ing *******s
chico
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

Noticed about 8 of the ****ers taking up a traffic lane on Yale this weekend...one street over the ****ers have dedicated lanes...BUT NO!!!!

****ing *******s
I'm with you but I'm pretty sure I know which group that was. They do stop at lights btw. If it's the group I'm thinking of, they were headed south on Yale and they were coming from north of 610, Yale goes under 610 (unlike Heights) so they were already on Yale. With a large group, if they cut over to Heights - say on 19th and continue south - the bike lane is quite narrow. So they'd either: ride 2 abreast, thus taking up the single lane of traffic (blocking cars) OR ride single file, thus stretching out over a long stretch (blocking cars from turning right at intersections and taking longer to go through intersections). Neither option is ideal.
Don't blame me - I ride solo the vast majority of the time and do my best to avoid cars always. Just trying to explain the logic.
Irish 2.0
These people were headed north on Yale
chico
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

These people were headed north on Yale
then I got nothin'!
Ryan the Temp
AG
I heard a rumor recently that someone with some influence nailed one of those monster "floating" bus stops at Heights/11th. Well ... maybe there was some truth to that. They were removed today.
HeightsAg
I hope it was SJL's fatass
BudFox7
Bike lanes are useless for cyclists.

Further, it's far safer for cyclist to take up the entire lane.
Chewy
AG
I saw it happening this week and wondered what happened. That was quite a bit of work to do and undo those massive concrete blocks.

Yay, COH.
CDUB98
AG
Placing giant concrete blocks where a driving lane used was just one of many dumbass ideas in that dumbass 11th redo.
htxag09
AG
CDUB98 said:

Placing giant concrete blocks where a driving lane used was just one of many dumbass ideas in that dumbass 11th redo.
I'll be the first to admit they looked to serve no purpose and were idiotic.....

But it's insane to me how bad of drivers this city has.....Are they idiotic? Yes. Should you be able to drive and not hit them? Also yes.

Same as all the people always complaining about those pedestrian islands on Studewood....
Ciboag96
Drove the length of the 11th bike travesty Saturday.

Only saw a motorcycle using the bike lane.

Lol
htxag09
AG
Ciboag96 said:

Drove the length of the 11th bike travesty Saturday.

Only saw a motorcycle using the bike lane.

Lol

Saw a dad using it with one of those kid carrier seats near the handlebars of his bike on Friday. Bat **** crazy. Zero chance I'd use those bike lanes with a kid on my bike….
ChimbosAg
AG
Just finished the article. It said COH cited this Texags thread to help nuke this dumb design.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.