Houston
Sponsored by

11th Street Bike Lanes Update

38,050 Views | 463 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by drumboy
wessimo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
drumboy
AG
If we get the islands deleted AND Lina steps down in the same week I'm not sure what TexAgs will be used for anymore.
Nice Ash
TexAgs Houston Board be like....

htxag09
AG
drumboy said:

If we get the islands deleted AND Lina steps down in the same week I'm not sure what TexAgs will be used for anymore.
The bike lanes....
Sea Speed
AG
Did they really reference this board in a chronic article?
texagbeliever
htxag09 said:

drumboy said:

The bike lanes....
Astrodome.

F38 may overtake F16 in lore.
Ciboag96
Sea Speed said:

Did they really reference this board in a chronic article?

If they did, that means they are on to Ryan the Temp! Night of the Long Knives, Houston Edition? Anyone heard from him???
sts7049
AG
i didn't see any specific mentions
WES2006AG
AG
I have avoided 11th Street while living in Woodland Heights since the bike lanes were created. Just moved and now I am 1 house off of 11th and my god that street is a beating now. Constant backups and have yet to see someone actually in one of those bike lanes.
TX04Aggie
AG
Yeah it is terrible after 5pm. They whole Yale/11th/Heights intersections are a cluster because they didnt sync the lights between yale and heights it seems and it creates an absolute cluster.
CDUB98
AG
But some government crony got paid, and that's all that really matters.
texagbeliever
CDUB98 said:

But some government crony got paid, and that's all that really matters.
Don't forget some government crony will get paid when it is discovered that this was a bad idea and needs to be undone. So double payment! We are so lucky to have such greedy, incompetent, and selfish government officials.
Chewy
AG
I don't think there's any cronyism here as it wasn't enough money. I think right around $600K for all of it.

Sadly it was just complete moronic decision making by someone that wants to see the world a certain away with no care for the actual ramifications to ordinary folks.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Chewy said:

I don't think there's any cronyism here as it wasn't enough money. I think right around $600K for all of it.

Sadly it was just complete moronic decision making by someone that wants to see the world a certain away with no care for the actual ramifications to ordinary folks.
This is 100% the answer.
TX04Aggie
AG
Think of the water mains they could have fixed with all that expense and labor to do it in the first place and then to rip it out…
Furlock Bones
AG
pretty hilarious screw up on the "floating islands" deal. someone told me the overarching goal was to reduce 11th as a major thoroughfare. the bike lanes were just the window dressing to get it passed.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Furlock Bones said:

pretty hilarious screw up on the "floating islands" deal. someone told me the overarching goal was to reduce 11th as a major thoroughfare. the bike lanes were just the window dressing to get it passed.
It was a bike lane project from the very beginning. That was always the intent, but the people leading the project lied to the public, claiming it was a safety project that created an opportunity for bike lanes.
Texan_Aggie
AG
Wish there was a study to see how many people utilize the bike lane. Would love to see the June - August numbers.
CDUB98
AG
Texan_Aggie said:

Wish there was a study to see how many people utilize the bike lane. Would love to see the June - August numbers.

I have.....once, just to see how much of a fustercluck it is.
chico
AG
Ryan the Temp said:

Furlock Bones said:

It was a bike lane project from the very beginning. That was always the intent, but the people leading the project lied to the public, claiming it was a safety project that created an opportunity for bike lanes.
that was the story that I heard from city people at a public forum - slow down the traffic to cut down on accidents by reducing the number of lanes, thus leaving room for a bike lanes on the sides
JJxvi
AG
Ryan the Temp said:

I heard a rumor recently that someone with some influence nailed one of those monster "floating" bus stops at Heights/11th. Well ... maybe there was some truth to that. They were removed today.
Was it the esteemed Councilwoman from District C that is quoted in every article and news source about their removal?
Ryan the Temp
AG
Nope, but she did at least stop rolling her eyes at me when I bring up the project.
herb96
AG
Party at RTT's
htxag09
AG
First bicycle I've ever seen using the bike lane....
WES2006AG
AG
htxag09 said:

I saw my first biker in the bike lane on 11th yesterday. Dude was really old and was having trouble not swerving outside the bike lane on the parts without the concrete barrier so it was still slowing traffic.
Irish 2.0
WES2006AG said:

htxag09 said:

I saw my first biker in the bike lane on 11th yesterday. Dude was really old and was having trouble not swerving outside the bike lane on the parts without the concrete barrier so it was still slowing traffic.
You sure it was an old guy? Because there is a meth head that looks kind of old that has been sleeping under the bridge at Yale/I10 that rides a bike like a dumbass along the major streets in the Heights holding up traffic and flicking people off when they lay on their horn to get the dip**** to move. You can occasionally find him passed out at the abandoned apartments across from Black Swan Yoga too.
WES2006AG
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

WES2006AG said:

htxag09 said:

You sure it was an old guy? Because there is a meth head that looks kind of old that has been sleeping under the bridge at Yale/I10 that rides a bike like a dumbass along the major streets in the Heights holding up traffic and flicking people off when they lay on their horn to get the dip**** to move. You can occasionally find him passed out at the abandoned apartments across from Black Swan Yoga too.
This guy was a gray hair. His swerving didn't seem intentional and he was moving at about .25 mph.
MAS444
AG
I see people using the bike lanes almost every day. They're few and far between though.
Ciboag96
I got stuck behind an F250 yesterday on 11th just west of Yale that was trying to turn left on Allston. Every horn was blaring because there is a huge ****ing median there. You can't turn left.

He literally started to turn when he spotted the encumbrance, tried to back up but people were squeezing around him, including me.

**** show.
CDUB98
AG
What a poser.

A non-beta F250 driver would have kept going.

Hell, I'd do it in my 150.
drumboy
AG
Same same in my mom mobile
wessimo
AG
B-Cycle shutting down. Bummer, was nice to have the option for short trips.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
herb96 said:

Party at RTT's

if it's BYOJH, I'll be there with bells on.

BYOJH = bring your own jackhammer.
CDUB98
AG
ThunderCougarFalconBird said:

herb96 said:

Party at RTT's

if it's BYOJH, I'll be there with bells on.

BYOJH = bring your own jackhammer.
Furlock Bones
AG
ran by 11th and heights. no more "floating island". another exercise in futility by our esteemed Houston overlords.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.