Houston
Sponsored by

Harris County Commissioner's Court

72,739 Views | 568 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by TJaggie14
AlaskanAg99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Court is tomorrow and a couple of interesting items

Items 7&8, proposals for rental assistance from the Feds. $25.5M. I wonder how much of that is actually doled out.

Item 17, increasing judges and staffing to deal with the backlog. 10 positions.

Item 20, increase Bond Authority...aka ask for more public debt on the Nov ballot

Item 240 Monkeypox

Item 264, county employee attrition. Lotta people bouncing out. Best to download the data, but losing 15-30% of staff in a single year isn't great. Worse if you're trying to get something done with local government.

Item 285, tax rates. Budget office is asking the court to confirm they won't exceeded the max 3.5% limit of thr VARS.

Item 292, County Attorney asking for executive session over HC selection for randomized audit of the last election.
Ryan the Temp
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

Item 20, increase Bond Authority...aka ask for more public debt on the Nov ballot
Any additional info on this? As a rule I am inclined to vote against bond elections.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Ryan the Temp said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

Any additional info on this? As a rule I am inclined to vote against bond elections.

It's been discussed in multiple recent courts. They're looking to add a bond to the Nov election, but its a really short time table to figure out what they want and then sell it to the public. I don't think they have specifics on it yet and we're 100 days out from the election.

Bonds aren't subject to the VAR 3.5% tax increases cap.
Ryan the Temp
AG
So it's just a generic revenue bond, not tied to specific projects or initiatives?

Defintiely voting against it, then.
AlaskanAg99
AG
They haven't said as of yet. But that'll make it a harder sell with less time to promote it.

They will max out the additional 3.5% in new revenue as home prices have exploded. But they always want more more more.
YellAg2004
AG
My opinion is this is the democrats Hail Mary (or insurance policy depending on your thoughts on the likely November outcome) to try to maintain control of Commissioners Court. When in doubt, just go back to the tried and true playbook of handouts. They'll paint it as all infrastructure spending and how infrastructure has been neglected/underfunded/etc. while never mentioning the fact that they have burned through millions upon millions of dollars in the past 2 years on SJW initiatives. Nevermind the fact that we are so close to the election and there isn't a specific list of projects available to the public. Assuming this passes tomorrow, look for the list to look like a letter to Santa coming from each Precinct with extremely rough estimates and little to no backup to support the need for the project.

At the same time, look for all the engineering companies and contractors to immediately start putting out ads/mailers/etc. encouraging people to vote for it.
YellAg2004
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

Item 264, county employee attrition. Lotta people bouncing out. Best to download the data, but losing 15-30% of staff in a single year isn't great. Worse if you're trying to get something done with local government.

From the report:
Quote:

The attrition rate by department for FY2022:
Flood Control, 10.2%
Toll Road, 18.5%;
Universal Services, 16.4%
Engineering, 15.4%
Public Health, 30.4%
Pollution Control, 17.0%;
Elections Administrator, 13.9%;
County Clerk, 16.3%;
Tax Assessor-Collector, 14.8%;
Office of Management and Budget (OMB), 89.5%.

The elevated attrition rate for OMB in FY2022 is, in part, due to the position transfers out of OMB to the Office of County Administration (OCA, 7) and Human Resources and Risk Management (HRRM, 68) as a part of restructuring within the County. Taking the OCA and HRRM transfers into consideration, the adjusted attrition rate in FY2022 for OMB is 20.7%.

This only accounts for departures through Feb. 28, 2022. That's one month after the new heads of HCFCD and Engineering were named, after which there was an exodus from each department.
AlaskanAg99
AG
So busy I forgot to watch yesterday.
Watching the recap now the 1st issue is the Election Audit, Ellis is leading the discussion. He's upset its not 'random' and requests the Feds watch the state due to ots "chilling" impact on voting.

Item 307, taken out of order. Starts around 35 mins in.

Interrupted by (State) Rep Gene Wu to speak at 42min mark.
Item 20, ballot Item. Bond Authority initiative. $1.2B bond package. Speaking in favor of the bond initiative. Flooding, transportation etc... I believe he's part of COH, so the bond package will help city build out their infrastructure. Be curious to see the split of where this money is spent between incorporated cities and the unincorporated HC. Touching on Asian Hate, adding increased police presence.

Ellis again muscling in again on how county funds were split. In the past it was 25% per precinct, each octbsupposed to have an equal number of residents. But the geography split between city/unincorporated is not evenly split.

To further explain what Ellis is talking about and demanding. Commissioner Precints do cover the whole county including incorporated cities. But it's not an equitable division. Here's the % breakdown for unincorporated HC (UHC):
Pct 1: 14.2%
Pct 2: 14.6%
Pct 3: 44.6%
Pct 4: 26.5%

By demanding a larger portion of overall funds, the goal is to channel mote of it into COH and other smaller cities. Which really short changes residents if UHC. Essentially they're funding the corrupt cities who cannot manage their resources. And this also hinders the R commissioners of Pcts 3&4.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Back to item 307 at 51min mark. Beth Steven's from CAO speaking.
Election night HQ is NRG Hall D.

2 audits.
1st is the 2020 audit, ongoing.
2nd will start after the 2022 election. No outline of how this will proceed.

Discussion on how HC was picked. 17 counties w/ more than 300k residents. HC was 1 of 2. COA office highly suspicious on how HC was chosen. Q

Ellis asking for fed DOJ to audit the auditors. 1:04 min mark.

Garcia: 2nd motion to speak to DOJ.
New Election Administrator starts mid-August. Since he is from Georgia (?) has to establish residency.

They anticipate an increase in mail-in ballots.

Ramsey: we have known issues with our elections.
(Have to take a meeting, will continue)
Polling locations not open on time, lack of training. Found ballots, delays in reporting, excessive costs, voter suppression because elections are run poorly.
Agrees HC should be audited.

Ellis: State of TX should be audited. Racism.
2.5M registered in HC.

Item 292: Motion for CAO to take action against Sec of State to question the auditing selection process. Passed 3-2. Ramsey/Cagle descents.

Judge: state has made it harder to run elections. Brings up 1/6. Ellis: threats make it harder. Judge: Audits are tainted. Democracy almost crumbled.

YellAg2004
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

Ellis again muscling in again on how county funds were split. In the past it was 25% per precinct, each octbsupposed to have an equal number of residents. But the geography split between city/unincorporated is not evenly split.

To further explain what Ellis is talking about and demanding. Commissioner Precints do cover the whole county including incorporated cities. But it's not an equitable division. Here's the % breakdown for unincorporated HC (UHC):

By demanding a larger portion of overall funds, the goal is to channel mote of it into COH and other smaller cities. Which really short changes residents if UHC. Essentially they're funding the corrupt cities who cannot manage their resources. And this also hinders the R commissioners of Pcts 3&4.
I thought in the past it was split based on unincorporated geographic area. When CC flipped, that was one of the first items the Ds changed, claiming it should be "equitable", ignoring the fact that the County has significantly more infrastructure they're responsible for in 3 & 4 vs. 1 & 2.

Also, thanks for giving the highlights/synopsis. Very much appreciated.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Well my post didn't make it.

Speakers up discussing Item #20. Bond.
Many from different levels of government in support.

I think in a prior post I laid out the bond breakdown. A lot of Speakers decrying the state of public buildings. (Which to me crys out negligent government maintenance. Sheriff's, Parks groups etc....all in support)

Item #140 on buyouts of homes that flood repeatedly. Speakers are upset due to how long it takes for a buyout to happen and the process a person has to go through. Buyouts can be voluntary or via eminent domain.

Timestamp 2:35.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Timestamp 3:23

Item#245 Monkeypox
Question on vaccine guidelines. Judge: not enough vaccines for the population of men who have sex with men.

Item #308 equity in HC salaries

Item #244, no competitive bid for protection services for the County Administrator 8/3-11/30.

Thats kind of an odd request, but also not going with a sheriff's office. Passes 3-2.

Item#310, county support for Manchins Infrastructure Reduction Act, passes 3-2.

And now they begin the discussion of contested items.

TexasMom
I go to most of those hearings. We need more conservatives to come. The hearing normally goes until at least 7:30, so even after work hours. You can come and go whenever you want.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Timestamp 4:17 (8hr meeting)

Item#256 Compensation Study
Govt generally trails private sector in salaries. Police are excluded from this study. Why anyone should be interested is due to quality of service issues and where local govt thinks inflation could be headed.

HC tries to match market at 50% of pay range. Apparently 85% of companies try to hit the same mark.

AlaskanAg99
AG
Conservatives work, and who's going to go downtown after work?
ChipFTAC01
AG
Glad to see Lina's keeping her nonbid private security at $20k a month private security.
AlaskanAg99
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Glad to see Lina's keeping her nonbid private security at $20k a month private security.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/houston/article/Harris-County-Lina-Hidalgo-security-contract-320K-17346522.php

PayWalled so I didn't read it.
ChipFTAC01
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/houston/article/Harris-County-Lina-Hidalgo-security-contract-320K-17346522.php

PayWalled so I didn't read it.

I read it on an agregator but when I went back looking for it I couldn't find it except direct through the Chron.
AlaskanAg99
AG
https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2022/08/03/county-judge-lina-hidalgo-to-announce-brighter-futures-for-harris-county-kids-initiative/

The major problem with all of these ARPA programs is the limited funding. When the cash dries up they all end and there will be screaming in the streets. No idea what the county will do budget wise to 'save' them.

My biggest fear is they'll underfunded the pension, which was 92% funded when Hidalgo was seated. That just creates a future nightmare long after all the current leadership is gone.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Finishing Court timestamp around 4:45

Long talk on MonkeyPox. Save everyone time but to 'not make the same mistakes of COVID', which is not the case and the disease is not similar at all, to a respiratory disease. Bottleneck is the lack of vaccines, and yet there's very little talk on asking and demanding people change their lifestyles to stem the transmission. Which of course was not an issue during COVID.
Motion on doses, doesn't being held for 2nd dose be distributed now in anticipation of 2nd doses arriving at a later date. 5-0
2nd motion: funding source for Public Health, to the tune of $1.7M, 5-0, but money can't be distributed until next court.

Timestamp 6:04

Item#264, Study on attrition, Universal Services (IT) and the issues with the jail, Engineering, Public Health are experiencing high turnover. Higher turnover degrades overall performance. No action.

Item#270 Taxable Value of the Property Roll. This will have a big issue over setting the tax rate in upcoming courts. HCAD is not under direct control of the appraisal district. No Action.

Item#285, Budget office not intending to increase taxes over 3.5%. They will max out the tax rate, but they will not exceed the limits set by Voter Approval Rates.

Next part is a bit confusing because the person speaking is referencing a presentation from end of June, but I believe he's saying that if taxes are maxed at 3.5% the county will have a $47M shortfall due to inflation and cost of business at existing operation rates. AKA, cuts would have to be made.

If the county adopted a no-new tax rate, the county would have a $107M deficit at current operating standards.

Inflation is expected to increase in 2023, so the current estimates are going to fall short any way you cut it. Cagle has brought up multiple times during this court that the county is spending way too much on outside consultants when existing staff exists. Pretty clear where cost savings can be made.

Person speaking stating excessive spending on health, jails and policing. His concern is not only for 2023 but for the next 5 years. Now talking of $200M cuts per year. Current budget is ballpark $2.15B.

1st thing they're talking about cutting is benefits and a COLA being nixed, when they had a presentation that salaries are lower than the 50th percentile in the region. AKA, county pays less, and now they're talking about reducing benefits. People, get ready for the county gov't to be worse than it currently is. Private sector is discussing massive layoffs, so this goes hand in hand, while prices continue to rise. It'll be bad all around.

Which is probably why they're pushing hard for the Bond to cover the gap.
Timestamp 6:45
Item#20, Bond. $1.2B
$100M Public Safety
$900M in Infrastructure/Transportation
$200M Parks
Discussion in a disagreement of how these funds will be allocated. In the 2015 bond, the funds were split by % of roads within each precinct. So PCTs 3&4 received a higher percentage because those two pcts cover a larger portion of unincorporated county and thus more county owned roads. A later court split it equally by pct. Which resulted in PCTs 3&4 being shortchanged on ability to maintain existing roadways.

Lots of arguing around 7:12.

Garcia: we're staring down 30% inflation. My pct is constantly underfunded.
Cagle: Is this the time to tax the public?
Why are we spending $1M on public engagement, when only $250k was spent on the flood bond.
Why are we trying to issue this bond now, when we have big ticket items coming to us, we need to preserve bonding capacity. I'm not really clear what big ticket items are coming, but he's right that the public will be exhausted by continually adding debt.
States that there's $197,900,000 left over from the 2015 bond. Where PCT1 has hardly spent any, and Ellis stated a few minutes earlier that he'd spent everything. Well...those two statements don't mesh.
States that it's unknown how/where these funds will be spent for the 2022 bond.

Timestamp 7:25
Hidalgo, asking PCT 3&4 if they 'need' the proposed bond revenue and if they can essentially release their 'portion' to 1&2 for the next year.

Cagle: We're not going to operate on a 'trust you' notion. He wants it written down how the split of revenue will be divided. Essentially "I don't trust you to be fair and transparent", paraphrased.

Ramsey: There is not enough time to negotiate this out before the election. He'd prefer the bond be voted on in 2023. All of the negotiation would have to be done in Oct, and due to the redistricting and flip flop of commissioners, he's stating he's still getting to know the issues in his new precinct.

Hidalgo...all but public safety dollars should be spent worst-first, with each pct receiving a minimum of $220M if there is a 'need' beyond the minimum then it can be argued for (I guess in court?), unclear how unallocated funds will be diverted. The remainder is $220M yet to be distributed.

Very end: Hidalgo and Ellis and Garcia all arguing at the end.

Bond Passes: 3-2
Distribution Framework Passes: 3-2
*Garcia stalls, because he's not happy about the framework.

Court Ends
taba82
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2022/08/03/county-judge-lina-hidalgo-to-announce-brighter-futures-for-harris-county-kids-initiative/

The major problem with all of these ARPA programs is the limited funding. When the cash dries up they all end and there will be screaming in the streets. No idea what the county will do budget wise to 'save' them.

My biggest fear is they'll underfunded the pension, which was 92% funded when Hidalgo was seated. That just creates a future nightmare long after all the current leadership is gone.
She (along with her 2 other D's) have already started transferring the surplus funds in HCTRA to community projects. It will not surprise me if those funds end up going to pay for the APRA projects you mentioned.
Mike
Aggie Band '82
Jack Klompus
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

Why are we trying to issue this bond now, when we have big ticket items coming to us, we need to preserve bonding capacity. I'm not really clear what big ticket items are coming, but he's right that the public will be exhausted by continually adding debt.
States that there's $197,900,000 left over from the 2015 bond. Where PCT1 has hardly spent any, and Ellis stated a few minutes earlier that he'd spent everything. Well...those two statements don't mesh.
States that it's unknown how/where these funds will be spent for the 2022 bond.
Big ticket items are underground tunnels for flood control ($30 billion in today's dollars--HC's share will be about $10.5 billion if federal funding comes through), continuation of Ship Channel bridge, and LBJ Hospital replacement.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Underground tunnels, this was discussed years ago when I10 was being widened and they chose not to do it then. So now it would be a multiple factor to tunnel...so I doubt that's going to happen.

Shipchannel bridge has been a complete CF.

Didn't know about the hospital.

Regardless, this bond will be moving to the ballot, but it'll be interesting to see if it passes.

AlaskanAg99
AG
Today at 230pm is a special meeting to discuss the $1.25B bond.

Also heard COH is adding a nearly $500M bond to the Nov ballot. Houstonites adding $1.75B in New debt may be a bit much.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

Also heard COH is adding a nearly $500M bond to the Nov ballot. Houstonites adding $1.75B in New debt may be a bit much.
Debt is the next guys problem. Pile it on..let's go $2B.
taba82
AG
More $$ to spend on social programs with little to no accountability... or maybe more "security" for a certain political person
Mike
Aggie Band '82
Ryan the Temp
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

More things for me to vote against.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Joined the meeting late. Public comments.

Some people really need a bullet point list to work from. And I'm guessing there's not a 1min limit.

Very few speakers.

Now wordsmithing why the $1.2B isn't a new tax.

Playing with how the tax rate is going down due to the 3.5% tax cap. As assments go up, taxes Have to go down to stay under the cap. Tax rate can go down and your bill can go up at the same time.

Ramsey and Hidalgo going at it. 40min mark.
AlaskanAg99
AG
They're trying to ram through the bond without much public discussion.

Rs are asking for items to be defined, Hidalgo trying to make the vote happen.
Al Bula
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

They're trying to ram through the bond without much public discussion.

Rs are asking for items to be defined, Hidalgo trying to make the vote happen.
AlaskanAg99
AG
And it's over. They crushed discussion and rammed through the bond for the election.

Now it's up to the voter's to Y/N.
taba82
AG
Wow... I'm so shocked and surprised... NOT. Where do I sign up for the Anti-Bond campaign?
Mike
Aggie Band '82
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Bonds always pass. But I'll vote against this package. Like Cagle said, I can't trust this crew and their long pattern of glossing over details.
ScottBowen
AG
YellAg2004 said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

I thought in the past it was split based on unincorporated geographic area. When CC flipped, that was one of the first items the Ds changed, claiming it should be "equitable", ignoring the fact that the County has significantly more infrastructure they're responsible for in 3 & 4 vs. 1 & 2.

Also, thanks for giving the highlights/synopsis. Very much appreciated.
I'm as conservative as can be and definitely voting against Garcia and Hidalgo in Pct 2, but the argument that we should only spend money in unincorporated areas has never made sense to me. Houston/small city taxpayers pay county taxes, so they should get services from the county in at least somewhat equal measure.
Jack Klompus
AG
I was at a luncheon with a bunch of engineers on Friday with Adrian Garcia, David Berry (County Administrator), county engineer, and county budget director. Adrian introduced the bond issue saying that we need this bond to keep the momentum of progress. He kept saying that if this bond isn't passed, projects will stop (almost threatening his audience of engineers). I think the notion is that the D's need to get this done before they lose the majority on the Court (Mealer beating out Hidalgo).

Generally, when a bond election is held, the organization that was hosting the luncheon will have a fundraiser for the bond campaign; however, since the vote to have the bond was not unanimous, there will not be a fundraiser. The tone of the room was very awkward, and I thought the people describing the bond were ill-prepared.

David Berry said that Harris County has historically had a bond election every 6-8 years. About 10% of the bond will be used for road rehabilitation, which is one of the concerns Comm. Cagle has brought up. He argues that bond money shouldn't be used for operations and maintenance, and that it should be paid for out of the general fund. Mr. Berry also said that each precinct will have a minimum level of funding from the bond and then projects will be funded on a "worst-first" criteria--meaning Precinct 1 and 2 since they have been "neglected".

The budget director stated that if this bond isn't passed, the money will be found elsewhere to maintain roads. Umm...excuse me? So why not reduce the bond by $100 million?

Mayor Turner, Comm. Ellis, and Comm. Garcia will be having a combined campaign for the City and County bond election "Vote for the Bonds". They say that the bonds will support public safety, infrastructure and flood control, which I think is disingenuous since I think public safety falls under police and crime prevention. Only a small portion of the County bond will go toward crime prevention in replacing the fleet. I am unaware how much of the City bond will go toward public safety.

I will be voting no.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.