Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,500,517 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
CFTXAG10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I would imagine "all hell breaking loose" would be people and businesses just outright defying the stay at home orders and testing the local, state, and federal government on how far they are willing to go to restrict our liberties even if it is for our own good
IrishTxAggie
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

I would imagine "all hell breaking loose" would be people and businesses just outright defying the stay at home orders and testing the local, state, and federal government on how far they are willing to go to restrict our liberties even if it is for our own good

I don't see leading the country into an economic recession as something that is "for our own good"
Mikeyshooter
AG
HouAggie2007 said:

Sorry, come and go as I wfh

No they absolutely influence the amount and seriousness of the # of cases here, not trying to sell that short but the number of.posts saying "we don't have the density" or "lack of transit" or "the heat will make it go away" discredit that this is still a serious problem and one that could quickly spiral out of control in Houston, B/CS or any other place that is slow to respond or test appropriately
This reminds of the ol' "We shouldn't be looking ahead" BS that is prevalent on this website. What is talked about on this thread has no bearing on the situation spiraling out of control. Sometimes just stating the positives is ok without need to hear the other side.
Tom Hagen
AG
Apparently, Houston and Harris County have deemed panhandling an essential business. It's been business as usual.
Texaggie7nine
IrishTxAggie said:

CFTXAG10 said:

I don't see leading the country into an economic recession as something that is "for our own good"
It is still very much likely the case that economic recession was 100% going to be the end result as soon as CV crossed our borders. Regardless what the gov did.
7nine
CFTXAG10
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

IrishTxAggie said:

CFTXAG10 said:

It is still very much likely the case that economic recession was 100% going to be the end result as soon as CV crossed our borders. Regardless what the gov did.
That kind of seems to be where this is headed. My comment about "for our own good" had everything to do with the government's perception and answer to the problem. At least at the federal level they will continue to extend the date if they think it is for our own health benefit. Trump doesn't strike me as the type to get lasso'd around the nuts. He wants to get the economy back up and running as quick as possible. If he is extending the date that tells me more about the health implications than anything.

And if the federal extends, Commandante Hidalgo will continue to follow suit here in The Tine
07fta07
AG
Well the break ins have already started. I'm not exactly sure what we'd be in for and don't want to find out, but you'd be looking at a significantly worse economic impact than we are already seeing as well as likely a large collection of people saying F it and going back to business as usual (and whatever consequences come with that).

I'm not ruling anything out because if we shut everything down for months on end, people are going to get really desperate. Will there be riots? I don't know, but don't act like it can't happen.
jja79
AG
This really has nothing to do with this thread other than Covid-19 but my oldest son (class of '05) is a physician at a hospital in New Orleans. For the past 3 weeks and for the foreseeable future he is spending every day as first contact for anyone presenting with Covid-19 symptoms.
Diggity
AG
How crazy are things there Jed?
jja79
AG
Not really sure but apparently really bad. He doesn't really have time to chit chat and at this point we have to assume he's got it.
BBRex
AG
The break-ins have already started or just resumed? And are we talking about homes or businesses?
Diggity
AG
I can imagine. Well good luck to him. Sounds like a battleground over there.
BMX Bandit
Sly says April 30 is date also set by state, it's a good date, not looking to change it right now.
CDUB98
AG
Hope everyone is ready for the the coming dystopian society if they keep extending.
BMX Bandit
Dallas news correcting it's report

Disaster declaration to May 20, stay at home until April 30
Jet Black
Don't see it going past 4/30. Don't see trump pushing for that.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Correcting or walking back after they likely got blown up by the governor's office?
TXTransplant
Quote:

APRIL 3 4:11 p.m. More than 80 people at a Texas City retirement home have tested positive for COVID-19. The Galveston County Health District announced today that 83 residents and employees at The Resort have tested positive for the virus after 146 were tested Thursday. Some test results are still pending.

I have a hard time understanding this. Why weren't all retirement homes, senior living facilities, and assisted living facilities locked down after the outbreak in Washington State?
Ag_07
AG
You can't completely lock them down. Just like a hospital.

You can't lock in employees and caregivers, food and medical supplies being delivered, etc.

All it takes is one employee or contractor.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Government aint gonna tell me i cant visit my Memaw.
TXTransplant
Ag_07 said:

You can't completely lock them down. Just like a hospital.

You can't lock in employees and caregivers, food and medical supplies being delivered, etc.

All it takes is one employee or contractor.
Yes, I understand you can't completely lock them down. But, 80 people in one facility? I would think at this point there would be no visitors, patients/residents would be quarantined to their rooms, and the number of employees who interact with any one resident/patient would be at the absolute minimum and kept the same day after day.

Last I read, the facility in Washington was under investigation for all sorts of violations. Seems like these facilities are not at all equipped to handle something like this, which is a little surprising, since the flu can be really deadly for residents of these types of facilities.
swimmerbabe11
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/houston-hasn-t-reported-surge-coronavirus-cases-its-hospitals-tell-n1175291
BMX Bandit
IrishTxAggie said:

Correcting or walking back after they likely got blown up by the governor's office?

Correcting. The news got it wrong
Bondag
AG
We need a new sign language person.

DuncanAg
AG
The mayor was asked about this article at his press conference this evening and deflected and said they will start publishing hospital data (bed utilization, etc) on Monday. We are so far behind in testing it's an embarrassment and seeing who our mayor and even worse county judge gives me zero confidence they even know what to do.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Rice is already tracking the number of people tested across the state, current hospital bed utilization rate and the numbers of staffed beds and intensive care beds in Texas hospitals. Hopefully Sly is referring to Houston specific data.
Fitch
AG
Bingo. That's why no strategy to "lock up the old folks" is realistic.
Post removed:
by user
TarponChaser
My FiL is in a place like that. Also in Cypress by the big DPS facility. He won't leave his apartment.
wessimo
AG
wessimo said:

48 new cases today. Big improvement from 81 yesterday.

Back up to 81 today.
BBRex
AG
DuncanAg said:

The mayor was asked about this article at his press conference this evening and deflected and said they will start publishing hospital data (bed utilization, etc) on Monday. We are so far behind in testing it's an embarrassment and seeing who our mayor and even worse county judge gives me zero confidence they even know what to do.

I think Lil Lina is in over her head, but I think she's enough of a do-gooder that she will try to do what she thinks is the right thing. I have no such illusions about Turner.
AgLiving06
This article showed up on Reddit. A bunch of nurses and doctors implied it's not particularly accurate.

Said a lot of hospitals are set up and essentially idle waiting for something to happen
Bonfired
AG
third coast.. said:

my grandmother is in one of those senior facilities where she has her own apartment with kitchen and what not but there is a clubhouse that serves all meals as well and they have a public pool. she can still drive and all of that but it just lessens her burden. I talked to her while we were in port and she said that they have been locked down so to speak for a while now, with no visitors allowed or anything like that, and the facility brings her her meals 3x a day. I am sure they are doing her laundry and what not as well. She was telling me how upset she was getting seeing other residents gathering in large groups and the like. I cant imagine what she must be feeling, being isolated, highly vulnerable at almost 90 and seeing other people there not taking it seriously. she was chipper otherwise though, which is great. The facility is in Cypress.

My mom is in a facility like that in Chattanooga and gets an infusion every month to boost her immune system...she was put on 14-day quarantine when she left to go to her infusion. I get it, I'm not mad about it, but it's got her down. She was used to her exercise, bingo and choir routine, and she'll be out of solitary next Thursday...until the next infusion. She doesn't do technology at all anymore and doesn't track as well as she used to (my physician sister suspects she has chemo-induced neurological deterioration that is starting to show), but she does at least like to read. I've basically ordered her to stay off the news, because she'll have it on all day and get stressed out needlessly.

I try to call every day so she at least has some variety in her day to day and to see how she is. She's fine now, but if she gets this ****, I don't think she'll survive it, given the weak immune system and being 76. Nothing to do about it except enjoy every call...
Ag_07
AG
They've been that way for at least the last couple weeks.

My point being that even with all those precautions all it takes is one and with the close quarters, compromised immune systems, and how easily this spreads it should be no surprise that nursing homes and the like are being hit hard.
TXTransplant
Ag_07 said:

They've been that way for at least the last couple weeks.

My point being that even with all those precautions all it takes is one and with the close quarters, compromised immune systems, and how easily this spreads it should be no surprise that nursing homes and the like are being hit hard.

Reading a few more articles, it appears this particular facility in Texas City has workers who worked at more than one facility (evidently that's common in the industry), and they think that's how it got in. Public health officials didn't step in to prohibit that practice until after March 28, when the first positive test results came back.

Another article talks about a son of a patient who was allowed to visit his sick mother on a Friday, wasn't told there was an outbreak or to take any extra precautions, and now he's been exposed.

Sounds like this facility was only following basic CDC guidelines until the health department stepped in and told them to put stricter policies in place.

Health department officials were quoted as saying this i outbreak appeared to be a case of "bad luck".

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/04/03/83-residents-employees-of-texas-city-senior-living-facility-test-positive-for-coronavirus/%3foutputType=amp
First Page Last Page
Page 72 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.