Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,506,748 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
wessimo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
48 new cases today. Big improvement from 81 yesterday.
Dr. Doctor
AG
https://abc13.com/marvin-zindler-action-13-eyewitness-news-children's-stories/6070898

A true tine legend to entertain the kids.

~egon
tylercsbn9
AG
wessimo said:

48 new cases today. Big improvement from 81 yesterday.
Houston and Texas in general have fared pretty well so far. Although browning r/Houston they keep waiting for us to become Italy or NYC because zOMG nO oNe Is TaKinG soCiAl DIsTaNcInG SerIOuS
jh0400
AG
That's the risk in situations with exponential growth characteristics. You go from "everything is fine" to "we're ****ed" fairly quickly.
Agasaurus Tex
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Houston won't be another NYC because we don't have such a high density population.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Lots of employee cases popping up at Lowes and other "essential" retailers. Keep that in mind when you're shopping for your flowers and bark mulch with your entire fams.
Fitch
AG
Houston won't be another NYC in terms of the rate of infections because of the density difference, but there's nothing saying the overall number of people won't be affected albeit over a longer duration.

Now I don't think that will happen because we've adopted social distancing policies, but if they hadn't called off the rodeo or if we went back to business as usual before there's a mitigation strategy then we could absolutely see the same overall numbers that NYC is seeing.

They also do more tests in a day than Houston has done to date...
CoachRTM
AG
That means we're flattening the curve better.

And Houston is one of the best cities in the country in terms of healthcare. Lots of it is specialized (MD Anderson) but I would imagine our rate of people/ hospital beds is very high compared to others.

Yes, it could get bad in Houston, but our "worst case scenario" is nowhere near as bad as NYC or most other urban centers.
HouAggie2007
You think.

You have nothing backing up that statement other than feel good opinions
CDUB98
AG
Ugh, let's not get into a pissing contest on this thread. Go over to the politics board if you want to do that. There's at least 10 threads on the front page you can debate it all.
FNG
Agasaurus Tex said:

Houston won't be another NYC because we don't have such a high density population.

Somebody hasn't been to some of the lower income neighborhoods in a while. Some of those areas are pretty crowded. And don't give a damn about social distancing.
Jack Cheese
AG
HouAggie2007 said:

You think.

The simple fact that Houston hasn't spiked like NYC yet means that the outcome is likely better than NYC. The passage of time means that more overflow plans have been devised, possible treatments are further along, and shortages of equipment will have had more time to be addressed.

That is not "feel good opinion". Time is an advantage.
swimmerbabe11
third coast.. said:

if anyone was watching the corona virus task force presser today they talked at length about pushing back on the cartels right now. that is why my ship is headed down there. So basically Trump talked about me on national television.

I was told this is a huge conspiracy theory that it has to do with 330 chinese people crossing the border and that we are preparing for war with China and that the drug cartel bit is just a smoke screen and that the Corona Virus was manufactured by the Democrats to take down Trump (and Bill Gates) and the Chinese to take down the United States.
FNG
swimmerbabe11 said:

third coast.. said:

if anyone was watching the corona virus task force presser today they talked at length about pushing back on the cartels right now. that is why my ship is headed down there. So basically Trump talked about me on national television.

I was told this is a huge conspiracy theory that it has to do with 330 chinese people crossing the border and that we are preparing for war with China and that the drug cartel bit is just a smoke screen and that the Corona Virus was manufactured by the Democrats to take down Trump (and Bill Gates) and the Chinese to take down the United States.

Well duh.
IrishTxAggie
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

third coast.. said:

Tabasco
AG
HouAggie2007 said:

You think.

Don't want to start a pissing contest, but looking at basic hospital numbers:

NY:
Hospital beds- 13, 010
ICU beds- 718

Texas:
Hospital beds- 28,633
ICU beds- 2,259

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections
Post removed:
by user
HouAggie2007
Texas has 50% more population than NY so by high-level math that makes up look better but we have 6 cities in the top 25 largest US cities vs 1 for NY so that doesn't mean that we necessarily are in a better spot
IrishTxAggie
AG
Those six cities populations don't equal the population of NYC and people per sq/mile. We do not come into contact with people the way that NYC does. We don't have the public transportation. We don't all live in condos/apts. The living conditions of Texas vs. NYC is night and day

That's not even including the NYC lite ****hole of Jersey
FNG
IrishTxAggie said:

Those six cities populations don't equal the population of NYC and people per sq/mile. We do not come into contact with people the way that NYC does. We don't have the public transportation. We don't all live in condos/apts. The living conditions of Texas vs. NYC is night and day

What is Houston's Jersey? Cypress? Sugarland? Alief? South Houston and the Gulfgate and Almeda areas?
Daddy-O5
AG
HouAggie2007 said:

Texas has 50% more population than NY so by high-level math that makes up look better but we have 6 cities in the top 25 largest US cities vs 1 for NY so that doesn't mean that we necessarily are in a better spot

I'm not going to get into the heart of the discussion, but simply your own statement of "doesn't mean we necessarily in a better spot" indicates a reasonable discussion can be had over the statistics presented. We all see the same statistics and come away with different (and at times both reasonable) conclusions. A far cry from "muh feels".
BMX Bandit
About 6.9mm
Mikeyshooter
AG
HouAggie2007 said:

You're right. We're screwed. Let's just get it over with.

(Quit picking a fight just to pick a fight)
CowtownAg06
AG
FNG said:

IrishTxAggie said:

What is Houston's Jersey? Cypress? Sugarland? Alief? South Houston and the Gulfgate and Almeda areas?

Obviously Baytown.
CDUB98
AG
CowtownAg06 said:

FNG said:

IrishTxAggie said:

Obviously Baytown.

Pasadena
AgCPA95
AG
HouAggie2007 said:

If you are going to make that kind of comparison, I think MSAs would likely be a better comparison than city limit population, but nothing is really like NYC in density in that kind of scale. Texas has only 3 MSA's in the top 25 in the US.

Keegan99
AG
Manhattan has a density of 70k per square mile.
Brooklyn has a density of 36k per square mile.
Bronx has a density of 33k per square mile.
Queens has a density of 21k per square mile.
Staten Island has a density of 8k per square mile.

Houston proper has a density of 3.5k per square mile. Even less in the burbs. Pearland, for example, is about 2.2k per square mile.

Comparing the two is nonsensical.
tylercsbn9
AG
HouAggie2007 said:

Say it with me now

Population density and reliance on public transportation
Agasaurus Tex
AG
The virus couldn't survive in Pasadena.
Texaggie7nine
FNG
Texaggie7nine said:

Sip campus disagrees.
jetch17
AG
Talmbout?

https://instagr.am/p/B-gBTNuDYlY
IrishTxAggie
AG
Didn't they arrest someone that was positive that didn't stay quarantined in Jersey?
LB12Diamond
AG
I have family at one of the hospitals. There are people dying that tests states not COVID but all symptoms are exactly the same. 22 at one hospital.

So while cases and deaths in Houston seem ok. They appear not to be accurate bc testing can be false negative 40%.
First Page Last Page
Page 70 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.