Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,475,761 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
BQ_90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agasaurus Tex said:

The virus couldn't survive in Pasadena.
all that benzine in the air is finally paying off
IrishTxAggie
AG
Jebber said:

I have family at one of the hospitals. There are people dying that tests states not COVID but all symptoms are exactly the same. 22 at one hospital.

So while cases and deaths in Houston seem ok. They appear not to be accurate bc testing can be false negative 40%.

Sooooo....we're supposed to take this at face value from you?
sts7049
AG
is that better or worse than your twitter bots?
IrishTxAggie
AG
Go find anything that I've posted from either of the three that has been discredited or retracted...

It's ok. I'll wait.
dragmagpuff
AG
Quote:

The 25-county region surrounding Houston had reported fewer than 950 confirmed coronavirus cases among its 9.3 million residents as of Monday. But on that same day, there were 996 people hospitalized in the region with confirmed or suspected cases of COVID-19, according to the advisory council count. That figure is not cumulative and does not include patients with COVID-19 who were hospitalized and released before Monday.
Sounds like our current hospitilizations are starting to increase. The hosipitals think that our confirmed cases would be more like 5 to 10 times greater.
Texaggie7nine
7nine
FtBendTxAg
AG
My closest cousin works at Verizon headquarters in Newark (or somewhere near) and came to quarantine at my uncle's summer home in the hill country. They had to fill out some federal paper work traveling into texas from certain areas and the county sherrif has already visited the home on 2 occasions to make sure she was there, and he said she'd be seeing her again! Not 100% tine related, other than her being from here, but I found it very interesting
Zobel
HouAggie2007
Don't worry guys, population density and lack of mass transit!
Ag_07
AG
HouAggie2007 said:

Don't worry guys, population density and lack of mass transit!

Umm...MetroRail
Keegan99
AG
Are you claiming that those two factors do not greatly influence transmission of the virus?
Diggity
AG
sure. but that's based on assumptions that hold true everywhere. I don't think it's anything unique to Houston

Quote:

"We know that about 1 in 5 or 1 in 10 COVID-19 patients needs to be hospitalized, so what you're seeing in hospital admissions would suggest that the actual number of cases could be 5 to 10 times higher in Texas than what's been reported to this point," he said.

Martin Q. Blank
Diggity said:

sure. but that's based on assumptions that hold true everywhere. I don't think it's anything unique to Houston

Quote:

"We know that about 1 in 5 or 1 in 10 COVID-19 patients needs to be hospitalized, so what you're seeing in hospital admissions would suggest that the actual number of cases could be 5 to 10 times higher in Texas than what's been reported to this point," he said.

I would say it's 50-100 times greater.

1. Many show no symptoms.
2. Not everyone goes to the doctor even when they have symptoms.
3. Of those who do go, they have high screening guidelines. As of 2 days ago, Ben Taub wasn't even testing patients with symptoms unless they were admitting them.
4. Of those tested, 30-40% false negative rate.
dragmagpuff
AG
Diggity said:

Quote:

The denominator that he is talking about is the "confirmed case" number, not the total denominator of infected.

Like, it's not normal to have your number of confirmed cases = number of current coronavirus hospitalizations.

We know that in most places they are missing a significant part of the denominator (asymptomatic, really mild cases), but in Houston, we are apparently missing most of the mild cases, and even hospitalized cases due to the poor testing.
Zobel
AG

Quote:

Of those tested, 30-40% false negative rate.
Where do you see this false negative rate being reported? That's extremely high.
Martin Q. Blank
k2aggie07 said:

Quote:

Of those tested, 30-40% false negative rate.
Where do you see this false negative rate being reported? That's extremely high.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/01/well/live/coronavirus-symptoms-tests-false-negative.html

Quote:

Research coming out of China indicates that the false-negative rate may be around 30 percent.
Research:
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.02.11.20021493v2

The upcoming blood tests should be better.
BMX Bandit
Dallas county has extended stay at home to May 20
Jack Cheese
AG
Keegan99 said:

Are you claiming that those two factors do not greatly influence transmission of the virus?

Based on past behavior, I predict you won't receive a response. This person just likes to drift into the conversation and take pot shots.
Zobel
AG
Thanks. I was under the impression that we were not using the same test (even if the PCR method was the same) as the WHO / China.
07fta07
AG
Why do they feel the need to extend already? We've got 4 more weeks covered. Maybe slow roll this and see how thing progress?
gougler08
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Already extending to May and we haven't even started to see what April looks like? Seems a bit premature
Bondag
AG
gougler08 said:

BMX Bandit said:

Already extending to May and we haven't even started to see what April looks like? Seems a bit premature
How does that date coincide with the last day of school there?
BMX Bandit
Bondag said:

gougler08 said:

BMX Bandit said:

How does that date coincide with the last day of school there?
school closes the next week
HouAggie2007
Sorry, come and go as I wfh

No they absolutely influence the amount and seriousness of the # of cases here, not trying to sell that short but the number of.posts saying "we don't have the density" or "lack of transit" or "the heat will make it go away" discredit that this is still a serious problem and one that could quickly spiral out of control in Houston, B/CS or any other place that is slow to respond or test appropriately
FNG
gougler08 said:

BMX Bandit said:

Lots of projections say this high case rate will go through summer.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Quote:

You and every other person on this board these days...
tylercsbn9
AG
BMX Bandit said:

It's going to get to a point where people and businesses say **** it. I'm thinking mid to late May is a tipping point
BMX Bandit
tylercsbn9 said:

BMX Bandit said:

It's going to get to a point we're people and businesses say **** it. I'm thinking mid to late May is a tipping point
I don't see how many of these business can survive or people won't go insane by mid to late May
TexAgs1992
May 3 will be the tipping point where people and business owners begin to say "screw it".
Ducks4brkfast
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

Quote:

You and every other person on this board these days...
I think most folks lack the interest and desire to rip off 100+ posts per day on TexAgs
Texaggie7nine
All these "tipping points" will depend heavily upon how many cases are in the hospital or dead at the time. That is what the major unknown is.

If hundreds of thousands of people have died like some projections have, I think that tipping point will extend out quite a bit longer.
7nine
07fta07
AG
We've already had multiple extensions. Soon people are going to call BS on the extensions since they're becoming just a date until the next date. No one seriously thinks it's gonna end April 30. So what's next, May 30? And we're supposed to believe that date is real?

I don't know when the **** storm starts, but you're gonna have lost interest when they extend the April 30 date to May 30 and then I bet all hell will break loose when they try to extend that further.
WES2006AG
AG
07fta07 said:

We've already had multiple extensions. Soon people are going to call BS on the extensions since they're becoming just a date until the next date. No one seriously thinks it's gonna end April 30. So what's next, May 30? And we're supposed to believe that date is real?

I don't know when the **** storm starts, but you're gonna have lost interest when they extend the April 30 date to May 30 and then I bet all hell will break loose when they try to extend that further.
What exactly do you envision with "all hell breaking loose"?
98Ag99Grad
AG
By **** storm are you saying LA Rodney King like riots in the streets, wide spread looting, chaos, etc. or what exactly? Multiple lawsuits? All of the above?
IrishTxAggie
AG
Mass protests to the point that their directives will become useless and ignored. Let's see how well it will go over for the states if people collectively start to resume business and the gov't tries to stop them all. We're not China, but a lot of politicians on both sides of the aisle sure are starting to act like they wield power similar to the CCP
First Page Last Page
Page 71 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.