Houston
Sponsored by

Your Nextdoor daily highlight

51,638 Views | 245 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Jugstore Cowboy
Liquid Wrench
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Saying "what's up buddy?" is racist now?

You could explain to your illiterate neighbor that, in Texas, it was once customary to greet a neighbor while out walking. I'm white, and when I go out walking it's usually only older white neighbors who say hi. I guess I'll go ahead and assume that everyone else who walks by without saying anything to me is exhibiting racism.
The Milkman
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

I love blueberry cake donuts.
Because they are fantastic. If I'm not having a Shipleys glazed its a blueberry cake
ottc777
ChiliBeans said:

You could explain to your illiterate neighbor that, in Texas, it was once customary to greet a neighbor while out walking. I'm white, and when I go out walking it's usually only older white neighbors who say hi. I guess I'll go ahead and assume that everyone else who walks by without saying anything to me is exhibiting racism.
the guy looked in the stroller and checked to make sure he wasn't robbing anything. Not like he said "Hi Buddy" in a friendly manner. Context matters. Seems like a dick move to me.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
He looked in the stroller to see the infant. Ever meet a grandparent before?
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
GoAgs92
AG
We have several dip****s who put food out for raccoons every night then post pics of them.

I hope they get bitten.
03_Aggie
ottc777 said:

ChiliBeans said:

the guy looked in the stroller and checked to make sure he wasn't robbing anything. Not like he said "Hi Buddy" in a friendly manner. Context matters. Seems like a dick move to me.

He actually looked to see if they're was a real baby in there and husband not a thief. Which, to me, actually seems pretty tactical if you think about it.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

He actually looked to see if they're was a real baby in there and husband not a thief.
Unless the old man said something other than "hi buddy," there's no reason to believe that. Old people love babies, and old people are more likely to greet someone when out walking.

"Fake baby stroller thieves" is a new level of paranoia, though not unexpected for Nextdoor.
Martin Q. Blank
Is it typical to see a black person in Timbergrove? Lots of other stories on nextdoor about robberies by black people?
drumboy
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

Is it typical to see a black person in Timbergrove? Lots of other stories on nextdoor about robberies by black people?

I know of one.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
How far along are you post-Harvey? Are you fixed up or still waiting on contractors?
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
drumboy
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

How far along are you post-Harvey? Are you fixed up or still waiting on contractors?

Demoed, waiting on engineer to complete plans and then permits.
Liquid Wrench
Deleting crap on my desktop and found this one I forgot to share:

ChipFTAC01
AG
We have a months long thread on the ongoing batching about how a dumpy strip center in front of the neighborhood is being redeveloped. It was a tired old center that the developer is pumping some money into, but they aren't happy about the colors or the new awning design or whatever and are constantly complaining and calling the developer.

Busy bodies...
Quincey P. Morris
AG
We had a nice long thread started on ours to gripe about the new lingerie coffee shop. Apparently they're bewildered that city council "allowed this to happen". Somehow they missed the breastaurants lining 45. It seems these folks would like city council to somehow disallow companies they don't like.
drumboy
AG
We had a thread about how the graffiti art on the side of Hughies looked bad but nevermind the low cost medicare clinic 100 yards away that looks like *****
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

the low cost medicare clinic 100 yards away
The one in the old pizza place looks much nicer. Then there's the urgent care at the old Eckerd's location in the other direction. You have a lot of healthcare choices and should feel fortunate.
drumboy
AG
ChiliBeans said:

Quote:

the low cost medicare clinic 100 yards away
The one in the old pizza place looks much nicer. Then there's the urgent care at the old Eckerd's location in the other direction. You have a lot of healthcare choices and should feel fortunate.
Which one in the old pizza place? That Pizza Hut is about to be an Italian place.
Ciboag96
Our next door has identified a guy who has been yelling vulgar threats to women who are walking in the neighborhood as he roles by in his suv. Lady got a plate and description of guy and vehicle, lined up with description other women had reported on Nextdoor, another guy looked the plate up and posted a name and business address, another person posted his expired sex offender registry for assault, a lady rolled by the place and took photos of the company vehicle with the plate.

Outdoors board would be proud. Screw that guy and his business.
Liquid Wrench
This one:

Don't remember if it was a Pizza Hut or Pizza Inn, I always confuse those two. I just remember the faded sign on the abandoned building for years.
Liquid Wrench
Ciboag96 said:

Our next door has identified a guy who has been yelling vulgar threats to women who are walking in the neighborhood as he roles by in his suv. Lady got a plate and description of guy and vehicle, lined up with description other women had reported on Nextdoor, another guy looked the plate up and posted a name and business address, another person posted his expired sex offender registry for assault, a lady rolled by the place and took photos of the company vehicle with the plate.

Outdoors board would be proud. Screw that guy and his business.
That's some citizens on patrol blue ribbon material right there.
drumboy
AG
Ive never even noticed that place.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
With Pizza Hut a block away, it could not have been. If you run the timeline on Google Street View back to to 2007, it looks like it might be a shuttered Pizza Inn.
Liquid Wrench
They stripped it down to the frame. You can look at historic aerials and see the structure has been there at least since the 80's.
Diggity
AG
I think this guy is onto something!

RK
AG
I would be pissed if I was him. Would definitely look to switching over to hard copies of the Houston Times, Bayou City Picayune, or Space City Press.
Diggity
AG
We should start publishing TexAgs. That would be much more relevant information.
AgLiving06
Westbury has been on a witch hunt against the Civic Club.

It's always fun to watch things like that spiral out of control.
Diggity
AG
Can you imagine having to answer to all those dried up old spinsters?

Jackal99
AG
They're probably seeing "too many brown people in the neighborhood" again.
Liquid Wrench
Anyone live in Candlelight Oaks?

sts7049
AG
they have a picasso in a cheap looking hobby lobby frame?
SweaterVest
AG
I'm not but my neighborhood NextDoor feed overlaps without Candlelight Oaks. Just checked and sure enlighten there is a dude selling an alleged Picasso.
randy828
AG
This one was just posted in our Nextdoor.." Landmark" ???

Quote:

Sad news. Another landmark restaurant in our area is closing. Tonight was the last night for the Luby's at 290 and Hollister.
I Am A Critic
randy828 said:

This one was just posted in our Nextdoor.." Landmark" ???

Quote:

Sad news. Another landmark restaurant in our area is closing. Tonight was the last night for the Luby's at 290 and Hollister.

Keep interwebbing little buckaroo. Eventually you'll learn how to spot sarcasm.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.