Houston
Sponsored by

Your Nextdoor daily highlight

51,317 Views | 245 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by DustysLineup
Liquid Wrench
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There was a big coyote scare this week, resulting in this post, which was followed by a few serious and helpful replies about Texas Wildlife laws.

Marvin_Zindler
AG
Slow clap. I'm crying at my desk right now.
Big Cat `93
AG
Beautiful.
GoAgs92
AG
There was once a stink about kids driving golf carts in my neighborhood, ONLY LICENSED DRIVERS CAN DRIVE A GOLF CART ON THE STREET.

So I said, well guess my 9 year old will have to drive on the sidewalk to comply with the law..

Hilarity ensued.

I don't even own a golf cart.
Liquid Wrench
My favorite thing about it is that the the neighborhood board is always littered with crazy cat lady posts about the "babies" (AKA feral cats) they want to find good homes for after spotting their loving eyes peeking out from storm sewers and ditches. I'm sure they'd love for their pets to "interact with their wild brethren."
Finn Maccumhail
AG
That wouldn't happen to be Firethorne would it? A co-worker lives out there and he loves to troll folks on NextDoor with stuff like this.
Liquid Wrench
Nah, Lower West Side.
MAS444
AG
I'm definitely copying that if....when this subject comes back up on our Nextdoor.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Right on.

I've forwarded that picture to him and will report back if he uses that and the responses.
Liquid Wrench
I was too lazy to copy the replies, but some people were playing along with comments about appreciating our local ferret population. The guy also posted a follow-up saying he had called TPW for advice as Mr. Soandso suggested, and he was visited by three men who forced him to take the feeders down.

I'm guessing this is what prompted another thread debating whether humor should be allowed on Nextdoor or if it is strictly informational.
Boo Weekley
I have seen large coyotes the last few times I've played Memorial Park, including Monday. Can't wait until they make their way up to Oak Forest in greater numbers...may have to get back on Next Door and Facebook if/when that happens.
LakeAg07
This person also has a thread called "Possum Death investigators" which is nothing but scooby doo references, and my current favorite "Animal remains and necromancers".
Liquid Wrench
Ok, I found his profile, checking those out now.

I'm guessing these are inspired by all the crazy pet lady threads about finding carcasses and feral cats that no one would want. Excuse me, I meant lost babies.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

Congratulations sicko. Lisa is no longer a member. Your mission to "satire" the crap out of the animal lovers is working.
88jrt06
AG
ChiliBeans said:

Nah, Lower West Side.

WTF is that?
Beltway/Harwin your turf, bro?
Cause....
88jrt06
AG
Boo Weekley said:

I have seen large coyotes the last few times I've played Memorial Park, including Monday. Can't wait until they make their way up to Oak Forest in greater numbers...may have to get back on Next Door and Facebook if/when that happens.

I lived in Camp Logan, and watched them melt into $$$Crestwood many times after 1am. Bad news for Fluffy.
More power to them, btw. People have no idea. Not new news at all, btw, since I moved out in 2002.

I only hate termites, roaches, mosquitoes, libs and possums in the Tine. Will the coyote survive? Oh, yes. They laugh.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
ChiliBeans said:

Quote:

Congratulations sicko. Lisa is no longer a member. Your mission to "satire" the crap out of the animal lovers is working.

Well if they weren't so ****ing stupid...
Liquid Wrench
I found the Possum thread LakeAg mentioned. Apparently these ladies believe we have a possum serial killer who deposits the bodies in the middle of a main neighborhood street. Couldn't possibly be that the possums are getting run over in morning commuter traffic.
drumboy
AG
Boo Weekley said:

We have them in Timbergrove so I'm sure they follow White Oak Bayou up to Oak Forest.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
TX04Aggie
AG
Yeah, I go hit golf balls time to time over at the Acorn 50/50 up in GOOF area. At night you can hear the coyotes very clear, close and loud all around that driving range.
98Ag99Grad
AG
I've been wondering what I can do with my "spare small mammals".
Finn Maccumhail
AG
From one of the anti-coyote faction:

Quote:

"I've installed motion sensor lights on the back of my fence facing the field behind us, as well as flood lights, coyote rolls, coyote collars for my remaining dogs, Hike N Strike Stun Gun and mace while I walk. I have a gun and will use it if one enters my yard again."
The Milkman
AG
TX04Aggie said:

Yeah, I go hit golf balls time to time over at the Acorn 50/50 up in GOOF area. At night you can hear the coyotes very clear, close and loud all around that driving range.

Love that range. Feels like I'm in Tin Cup
notheranymore
There's an 85 reply thread on my ND about coyotes near Faithbridge Church up in Spring/Klein. Some gems:

Ok so a couple days ago there was one close to my home that my neighbors were worried about. I found a trapper and we relocated it. I did not gather up a posse or ask people to shoot every coyote they saw. I guess we have a different way of handling things.

The church should definitely be contacted before anyone decides to try and shoot these animals.

I hesitated to comment on this thread because of the tone of the general conversation but here I go. I understand your concerns but I thought the following information might help put some perspective on the situation. The coyotes have been here all along. Some of you have just now become aware of their presence. There have only been two recorded fatal attacks by coyotes on humans in the US and Canada. For comparison there are over 1,300 children (18 and under) bitten by snakes in the US annually (1 in 4 bites occur in Texas and Florida). Most survive. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/snakebites-kids-riskiest-states-florida-texas/, over 100 people die from bee stings annually in the US http://www.govexec.com/management/2015/08/bees-are-deadliest-non-human-animals-america-cdc/119328/, 1,000 died from bicycle accidents in 2015 in the US https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/bicycle/index.html, and 31 were killed from dog attacks in 2016in the US https://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-fatalities-2016.php. I would never say a coyote attack could never occur and I am not trying to frighten anyone with the additional statistics. Parents DO need to be concerned about their children's safety but I'm trying to point out that attacks by coyotes fall pretty low on the risk matrix. Now for the practical thought, coyotes are highly intelligent and skittish. The chances of actually catching one in a trap are slim. The trapper will most likely capture many raccoons, opossums and various neighborhood dogs before catching the first coyote. Then the final question becomes if they do manage to trap the coyotes, how many do they need to catch to make the neighborhood feel better? I suspect that if the trappers could manage to capture the entire pack the surrounding packs will quickly claim the newly vacated territory.

Pam, I am not sure how familiar you are with guns, hunting rifles in particular.
Even a well aimed shot is very capable of going completely through a low density target like a coyote. Tje bullet can keep traveling for some distance after passing through the animal. The bullet will almost certainly change trajectory after it is deflected off of bone. No one can predict where the bullet may go, or how far once the trigger is pulled.
I encourage you to call animal control to pursue this matter. They may have better ideas.

Mike, in response to your note, I googled and found that raccoons have inflicted terrible injuries on people. Cougar are a definite threat to people. But, my focus is on coyotes. Back to the coyote discussion, perhaps it would be helpful to consider that people are also a part of nature that are not likely to go anywhere. So, we adapt, as you put it. Some adapt by hoping for peaceful cohabitation. Others confront the matter. In this discussion, I am proposing to adapt by pushing back against the coyote encroachment. Please see the article at http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sdut-biologists-say-coyotes-losing-f

You've repeated yourself so many times, I thought I should be allowed to state my opinion once. I think people aren't more alarmed because this simply isn't alarming.

THIS won't be alarming UNTIL someone is harmed.
I have no problem relocating the coyotes. They'd probably be happier with more places to roam. Houses, dry cleaners, more strip centers.....have consumed their land. Ugh!!!

And it goes on and on...
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

perhaps it would be helpful to consider that people are also a part of nature that are not likely to go anywhere.
Radical thought!
Bismarck
AG
Sheesh, people. Just paint a tunnel on the wall of your subdivision. Problem solved.

runontexas
AG
Saw this same post on the lower east side, hurd
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
I live in the area. How much will they pay for each dead yote?
ursusguy
AG
Just an fyi, it is illegal for John Doe citizen to relocate coyotes in Texas.
BigPuma
AG
im waiting for some stupid urbanite with no license to end up on Lone Star Law getting nailed for relocating coyotes and trapping regular dogs
Big Cat `93
AG
Off topic, but I love that show.
eric76
AG
BigPuma said:

im waiting for some stupid urbanite with no license to end up on Lone Star Law getting nailed for relocating coyotes and trapping regular dogs
As for trapping regular dogs, it might help if they are harassing or killing his livestock. Hopefully they will have a few head of cattle in their yard.
BigPuma
AG
you mean the livestock he keeps on his maybe half acre lot?
Liquid Wrench
Uh oh, we got a real cowboy here.
P.H. Dexippus
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.