Houston
Sponsored by

Kingwood flooding doesn't pass the smell test

72,485 Views | 567 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by notheranymore
FHKChE07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I provided several options for him to choose, or he can come up with a different option.
schmellba99
AG
aTm2004 said:

txags92 said:

You keep bringing up this idea of changing the lake use and it has been explained to you what changing that use would involve and what the magnitude of the likely cost would be. What part of it makes you think we should spend billions of dollars and uproot thousands of families and businesses around lake conroe so that we can protect about 1000 homes in Kingwood from the next 800-1000 yr storm?
You keep focusing on only Conroe. Move on beyond that. You admit that LH has primarily a spillway dam, and if the city or region will ultimately have to go elsewhere for water since it looks like LH may not be able to provide future needs, why couldn't they also look at redoing LH dam to incorporate some flood control? Because of the need for drinking water? If they have to go elsewhere in the future for it, why couldn't some flood control be incorporated into their plans/decisions? Stop focusing on one thing and look at the big picture. Yeah, it's going to cost money, but immediately dismissing the idea before somebody does a proper cost/benefit analysis on it is short sighted, IMO.
I suppose you just decided to not look at this:

Quote:

In order to make Conroe both a supply reservoir and a flood control lake you'd have to, using the number in a previous reply, raise the height of the dam by 30 or so feet. In doing so, the dam would loop from about Montgomery to Willis (rough guess) and the area of innundation would roughly encompass a shape from the existing dam to Huntsville to College Station to Navasota and back to Montgomery. And, quite honestly, that is probably not nearly enough area.

So to save the ~1000 homes in Kingwood that were damaged to the flood, you'd make an area that is about 537,000 acres uninhabitable. No clue on the number of houses, property value or population in that area - but it's significantly more than that of the roughly 1000 homes in Kingwood.

To do the same to LH would probably be easily 3x the surface area, or about 1.5 Million acres that would not be suitable for habitation due to being in the innundation zone for the flood control portion of the reservoir and the area would include everything from Dayton to Cleveland to Conroe to Spring and back to the lake. So you'd displace ALL of Kingwood, plus about, what, 2 or so million people, to protect your roughly 1000 houses that would be 100% in the flood zone anyway.

At some point you need to take responsibility as an adult to know what the area around you can do in various conditions, plan ahead, and know where to find the information instead of complaining that you didn't think there was enough alerts alarms and door knocking from people telling you bad things are going to happen. Data is out there, you literally have the entire world at your fingertips via the phone in your hand - the news simply cannot advise each and every person in each and every area of a metroplex with about 7mm or so people in it that is getting hammered across the entirety of the metropolitan area what each and every potential disaster may be.

Could communication be better? Hell, it always can, but given the entirety of the situation and what has been explained to you on this thread, combined with the fact that it wasn't bad to begin with, I'm just not seeing where you can legitimately claim you weren't adequately informed. That's just me though.

Additionally, there is already a project underway that will increase supply to LH to meet the expected future demands of COH water consumption. It has been discussed on this thread (previous page for that matter):

Quote:

Luce Bayou is a water supply project to keep LH at a minimum level when the NEWTP project is finalized and that plant starts pulling an obscene amount of water out of LH to deliver to western Harris County, Montgomery County and I think some may go into Ft. Bend County (not sure about Ft. Bend). The NEWTP project is a $1.5+ Billion upgrade to the existing plant, and that cost doesn't include the roughly additional billion they are going to spend on the distribution pipelines and booster pump stations. Huge expenditure for COH,which is a main reason most of their other water infrastructure projects are either on hold or flat out not going to be done anytime in the next 5 years.

Luce won't have that much affect on the Trinity, at least that was what I was told when I asked those questions. It's a lot of water that will be pulled, but the Trinity is a wide and deep river and the amount of water is, comparatively speaking, not much at all. I think the pump station will initially be a 400mgd station with capacity for future expansion to 800mgd. It's a good sized pump station, still mad we opted to not bid the damn thing.
So when other folks state that you just don't seem to grasp the concepts of things discussed on this thread, the above two items are a prime example why (along with deciding to go toy shopping at a very inopportune time). And missing the multiple broadcasts discussing the entire area being flooded, and missing the specific broadcasts talking about releases from Lake Conroe, and just not grasping the basic fact that there was very little that could have been done more than what was done.

Costs have also been stated by myself and multiple others that to do these fairy dust and unicorn fart changes to existing infrastructure would be in dollar figures that are essentially immesurable or inconprehensible to grasp. You are litterally talking about US Government budget item dollar figures - hundreds of billions of dollars. So yes, the ideas are going to be dismissed relatively quickly because they simply are not realistic from any logical standpoint.

Basic facts are that Conroe and LH are not flood control reservoirs, trying to make them into flood control reservoirs would be prohibitively expensive and time consuming and would also require elimination of the habitable areas that turning them into flood control reservoirs would protect. There were multiple reports talking about flooding in the area and specific to the need to release water from Conroe. Multiple posts have also talked about the fact that Conroe releases, while it is certain that they did not help the situation downstream, realistically had very little effect overall due to the drainage features independent of Conroe. And I guarantee you that the water rise that occured 2 hours after Conroe released is not related to Conroe because it takes significantly longer for the water to travel that distance (3-5 days).

I would advise you that several folks have tried like hell to show you the big picture, you just seem to be unwilling to look at it.
FHKChE07
AG
Quote:

We've been around and around on the pre-release issue, but if the risk of future drought played any role in the severity of this flood, that is inexcusable. There were zero weather reports that suggested a rainfall deficit for Harvey.
The problem is that by the time there were weather reports that suggested a significant rainfall for Houston, it was too late to drain Lake Conroe.

https://spacecityweather.com/clouds-may-eclipse-the-eclipse-and-rain-chances-return-to-houston/#more-4820

This was the report from Space City Weather on August 21. The Sunday before the storm. Doesn't sound that confident about rainfall rates of 35" that we need to do anything about. This is already to late to do anything with Lake Conroe without preflooding everything downstream and still their is no certainty of what Harvey means or is. Again, it takes days to get any appreciable amount of water out of Lake Conroe and out of the watershed. Would you like to make that decision to drain the water supply of the country's 4th largest city on:
Quote:

we could see a couple of inches of rainfall or quite a bit more, and if not, it could be drier and hotter (mid-90s).

I know I wouldn't.
FHKChE07
AG
As for not having good information, I decided to go through the back blogs of Space City Weather to start seeing about flooding. They generally were relating similar information as the news.

https://spacecityweather.com/flooding-begins-as-worst-of-ts-harveys-moisture-moves-into-houston/

This was Saturday night and I know you won't agree with this but:

Quote:

High resolution models (which are run frequently) continue to show high rainfall totals tonight and into Sunday morning, with widespread accumulations of 3 to 6 inches, and some locations receiving in excess of 10 inches. On top of the rainfall, we continue to see indications of tornadoes on the radar. As Matt suggested, now would be a good time to make sure you have your mobile device emergency alerts notification set to "On" tonight.

We remain concerned about the potential for flooding in the Houston region tonight, and will do our best to keep you apprised of the situation.

https://spacecityweather.com/why-were-worried-about-the-rest-of-tonight-in-houston/

This was later Saturday night at 10 PM:

Quote:

Will Band 1 slow down as it moves toward a line from, say, Humble to Seabrook, or along the Gulf Freeway? There are some meteorological reasons to think it might, and this could potentially become a devastating event for the east side of Houston. A nearly stationary line of showers producing 4 inches of rain per hour does not take long to flood structures.
I distinctly remember the news talking about the rain bands merging and just dumping across the entire Houston area all night and them addressing the band slowing down on the East side because I said to my wife, "I'm glad I don't live on the east side of Houston. That is going to be bad."

By midnight, the story was this:

https://spacecityweather.com/a-bad-situation-in-houston-has-turned-worse-much-worse/

Quote:

Another data point that is concerning in the extreme: The Houston-Galveston office of National Weather Service has issued three Flash Flood Emergencies tonight for the Houston region. It had only ever issued one before in the five years or so that the forecast product has existed.
This is what I remember the weathermen all talking about because it had only happened once before in its' existence and we had 3 issued in one night to include the entire Houston area. (And I swear to God, if someone says that Kingwood is not in Houston, I am going to punch them.)

And this is Eric's parting words:
Quote:

• This is an extremely dangerous flooding situation for the Houston metro area
  • Stay in your location
  • The heavy rains from Harvey are likely to continue into Sunday morning, worsening an already borderline catastrophic situation

It wasn't even really Sunday yet and everyone was calling this catastrophic. The flooding was already in full force. I was flooded into my house in central Houston, and they were already calling it a historic flooding situation. If at this point in time you weren't already paying attention, I don't know what to tell you.

By 2 AM Sunday, it was a ****ing **** show:

https://spacecityweather.com/so-were-now-under-a-flash-flood-emergency-for-catastrophic-life-threatening-flooding/

Now, the NWS issued a "Flash Flood Emergency for Catastrophic Life Threatening Flooding" for the first time ever. All the news guys at this point in time are saying "STAY IN YOU HOMES." In fact, that is exactly what the alert said: "This is a PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TRAVEL!"

Now, again, this is the National Weather Service, not the local weathermen hyping things up.

On Sunday at 2 in the afternoon, they are showing on KHOU this flooding in spring:

This is not very far away from you upstream and maybe at this point in time you should be paying attention to the flooding that is happening literally all around you. But you haven't heard anything about Kingwood so I guess you are still fine.

By Sunday at noon, the public officials were saying:

https://spacecityweather.com/houston-we-will-get-through-this/#more-5162

Quote:

public officials advise going onto your roof, and to take white towels so that first responders from the city, county, or US Coast Guard can more easily find you.
So now we are helicopter rescues, but we still don't need to worry. And the guys at space city are still saying:

Quote:

The other clear advice is to not drive on roads today, even if conditions appear to be clearing, because we expect more showers and flooding tonight. Even if roads are clear near where you are, they may not be where you are going. (If you absolutely must travel, Google maps, with traffic, offers a rough means of gauging which roads are passable at this time). But, as the mayor said, "The best way to keep from getting stranded is to stay off the street."
By Sunday afternoon:

https://spacecityweather.com/late-sunday-afternoon-harvey-forecast-update/

They are already talking about:
Quote:

North of I-10,it's similar, but with more rain and fewer breaks. Expect occasional 1-3 per hour rain rates in those areas. This will exacerbate already near-record levels of flooding on Cypress Creek and other bodies of water north of Houston.

On average, I would expect 3-7 south and 4-8 north, but there is most certainly a risk of higher amounts in spots. The heavy rains near Port Arthur and Beaumont should add up to 5-10 or more.
Near-record levels of flooding on Cypress Creek. So now we have Cypress Creek at near record levels and Spring creek is covering the beltway.

At 845, they are talking about the continuing flash flood emergency for the entire region, still staying home and not leaving.

By Monday Morning, the Press Conference was saying we have the potential to exceed the 1000-year flood threshold.

This is just one news outlet. It might not of said Kingwood particularly, but it definitely gave you cause to pay attention.

JustPanda
AG
Falcon Punch!
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Excellent summation but just as a point of fact, that Instagram picture of the flooding at Aldine-Westfield at the Beltway is due to Greens Bayou not Spring Creek and it's not in Spring, that's north Houston between Gunspoint and the Upper East Side (a little west of IAH/JFK Blvd).

Greens Bayou is well south of Kingwood and it flooded badly too, especially down around the CE King/Sheldon/Northshore/Cloverleaf areas. That didn't have anything to with the Lake Conroe discharges. Nor did the eastern portion of the Lake Houston watershed which flooded significantly too.
FHKChE07
AG
I'm sorry. I got confused there. I guess I will go back and find other examples of flooding on spring creek. Maybe I grabbed the wrong tweet.
94chem
Soooo, is FHK saying I should have stayed or evacuated in Kingwood? Because, "don't go on the roads" and "get out" are 2 different things. Right?
BigPuma
AG
what he is saying is you should have been paying ****ing attention to the flooding going on literally all around you and not living in your kingwood "bubble dream" reality.
aTm2004
AG
94chem said:

Soooo, is FHK saying I should have stayed or evacuated in Kingwood? Because, "don't go on the roads" and "get out" are 2 different things. Right?
He's not the one saying don't go on the roads. That's another '07er. But yeah, unless you lived it, it's easy to Monday morning quarterback it. Some friends of ours got water in their house. They live in a part of Kingwood close to LH, and they kept monitoring the water levels. They said that when their neighborhood began getting water in it, their street went from no water to almost to their house in the matter of about an hour...their house is also elevated from the road as many are. They had to be taken out by boat. They were monitoring it and what they were seeing told them that no other action outside of monitoring needed to take place, and then it was time to get out.

I went and looked at the 2 drainage areas in my neighborhood at least twice per day (went 3 one day), and they never got close to being out of their banks. We stayed glued to the TV and I read TA all day for info for others living in the Kingwood area, as well as monitored social media to try to get as much info as we could. We were fortunate.
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

Response when pressed for proof:
I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2948036/replies/51680255
FHKChE07
AG
I was saying. The news was saying stay home an watch for weather alerts unless you were in a dangerous situation. Instead, people were out shopping and carrying on. Maybe, if you had been paying attention you would have seen the news that Cypress Creek and Spring Creek were at record levels that would be causing catastrophic flooding in the West Fork of the San Jacinto.

Also, I was addressing that you had "no idea" there was catastrophic flooding going around you by showing all of the examples that there was catastrophic flooding across the entire region instead of as you put it, "only around the Barker and Addicks reservoirs".

Then, you could have made your own educated decisions about whether you needed to evacuate because you were in a dangerous situation ahead of when you say that you found out, Monday afternoon when it was too late. You could have looked at the San Jacinto Forecast map which are updated pretty regularly to see if you were going to flood or if there was concern.

aTm2004
AG
FHKChE07 said:

I was saying. The news was saying stay home an watch for weather alerts unless you were in a dangerous situation. Instead, people were out shopping and carrying on. Maybe, if you had been paying attention you would have seen the news that Cypress Creek and Spring Creek were at record levels that would be causing catastrophic flooding in the West Fork of the San Jacinto.

Also, I was addressing that you had "no idea" there was catastrophic flooding going around you by showing all of the examples that there was catastrophic flooding across the entire region instead of as you put it, "only around the Barker and Addicks reservoirs".

Then, you could have made your own educated decisions about whether you needed to evacuate because you were in a dangerous situation ahead of when you say that you found out, Monday afternoon when it was too late. You could have looked at the San Jacinto Forecast map which are updated pretty regularly to see if you were going to flood or if there was concern.

It's not that the flooding was happening, but how fast it went from "things look good" to "we're ****ed."
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

Response when pressed for proof:
I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2948036/replies/51680255
FHKChE07
AG
I found warnings of Major Flood forecasts on the West Fork on Sunday. These were almost certainly communicated by the news on Sunday. They were regularly walking through all of the major rivers, creeks and bayous being forecasted into Major Flood. Saying that it came up so fast is a little facetious. It took over a day to come downstream after they were forecasting it. When it arrived at Kingwood, it did come up fast, but it was should not have been a surprise.

http://mctxoem.org/flooding-imminent-for-areas-that-have-previously-flooded/

And trust me, I know how fast rivers can rise. I sat and watched the bayou come up by my house a foot every half hour without stopping. But with the West Fork, it was coming down stream and they were forecasting when it would hit.
03_Aggie
aTm2004 said:

FHKChE07 said:

It's not that the flooding was happening, but how fast it went from "things look good" to "we're ****ed."

Is that the definition of a flash flood?
FHKChE07
AG
Ok. I found newscasters talking about the West Fork on the TV talking about all the flooding they are forecasting.

BigPuma
AG
aTm2004 said:

FHKChE07 said:

Kingwood was not the only area in the greater Houston area to experience this problem. In fact, most of the creeks, bayous, and reservoirs were not in flood stage until Sunday night when all hell broke lose and everything ended up in flood stage.
BigPuma
AG
I find it odd that while you were going to the toy store, I was waiting for water to recede down my driveway because a major tributary of Buffalo Bayou is literally down the street from my home, yet I knew on Monday that Humble and Kingwood and the rest of the East side was about to take it in the pants.
Bregxit
AG
FHKChE07 said:

I'm sorry. I got confused there. I guess I will go back and find other examples of flooding on spring creek. Maybe I grabbed the wrong tweet.

This was Spring Creek looking south from where 99 crosses it in Spring around the same time. At this point Spring Creek had inundated I-45 as well.

GiggityAg01
AG
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you don't care much for kingwood.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
That's a lot of effort for a <\/ntish troll job.
Bregxit
AG
So, what is the current argument about? It seems to have shifted numerous times from SJRA Conspiracy to We Had No Idea It Would Flood to No One Packed My House And Moved Me Out Before The Flood.
redag06
Now we have a drunk liberal mommy, who was made fun of when she lived in kingwood posting......great!

Do you or your daughter need help packing? I'm sure we will all help moving you to that liberal cesspool known as Austin
sts7049
AG
TLDR
txags92
AG
Troll job almost got me, but I spit the hook when they mentioned climate change...
JustPanda
AG
Liberal, Atheist, trolls are soooo 2008. From Friendswood to Kingwood.
FHKChE07
AG
Yeah, it started as it was a conspiracy of SJRA to release water and flood Kingwood because lake Conroe is the money maker for the county. Then it went to how there was no communication it was going to flood. Then it went to we need to redo the entire infrastructure of Northeast Houston so they won't flood anymore. Someone complained that it wasn't fair that it flooded in the nighttime.

There was a bunch in the middle explaining how dams work. I'm pretty sure that some people in this thread still don't understand how rivers work.

I don't remember what else people have tried to argue, but they have all been pretty flimsy arguments.
03_Aggie
So your high rise condo is going to sell for a premium because it didn't flood? Apparently you can take the moron out of kingwood.....
aggiebq03+
I just wanted to post on this thread one last time before it got locked.
Zobel
Al Bula
AG
This thread has ass cancer
CDUB98
AG
Damn, looks like I missed a good time today.

Wish I could have seen the troll post.

You fellas did a fine job today.
94chem
FHK, interesting link to the video. From that forecast, my home would have been several feet above water with the river cresting at 65 ft. However, the actual crest was over 70 ft, and I got feet of water in my house. So, basically the warning I got was to not leave and to not worry. 65 ft. Got it. Good. 2 ft below 94. Whew! Close, but we'll be okay. WRONG.
94chem
Guessing BigPuma hasn't been helping anybody pull drywall, donated anything to help victims, etc. Her character, just like all the grifters and criminals out to take advantage of people, is revealed by such events as these.
JustPanda
AG
This guy
aggiebq03+
dlance said:

So, what is the current argument about? It seems to have shifted numerous times from SJRA Conspiracy to We Had No Idea It Would Flood to No One Packed My House And Moved Me Out Before The Flood.

There is no actual argument.

People are upset they flooded.

Venting on Texags is what some people need right now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.