Houston
Sponsored by

Kingwood flooding doesn't pass the smell test

72,444 Views | 567 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by notheranymore
Bag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bull****, read the article I just posted
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
You can't be this obtuse.....
aggiebq03+
Bag said:

Bull****, read the article I just posted

Did YOU read the article you just posted?...

Quote:

"The operational guidelines for Lake Conroe take many factors into consideration and are designed to protect the dam itself and to ensure that the peak rate of flow released from the dam is LOWER than the peak flow coming into the lake. By allowing Lake Conroe's level to rise during the event, the peak flow going down the river is reduced. So even though Lake Conroe was not designed for flood control, the Lake Conroe dam has significantly reduced downstream flooding for every major storm in the watershed since it was constructed in 1973.
Bondag
AG
Just confirmed family members lost a house the second time due to this. That said, Bag, you are digging. This was designed flow and you are digging for excuses. Hope you have somewhere to sleep tonight cause you need some rest.
Bag
AG
"If we pre-released and ended up not receiving significant rainfall in our watershed, then we would have drained critical supplies of stored water from Lake Conroe."
Bag
AG
Maybe I am crazy, maybe I am angry that so many have lost everything. Maybe.

To me it all boils down to a fundamental lack of communication between two counties.
aggiebq03+
You know they are talking about water owned by the City of Houston? Since City of Houston owns 2/3 of the water in Lake Conroe, meant to be used as a supply to keep Lake Houston full.

Not so people can boat on it.
Bag
AG
That is where the politics come in, it has everything to do with one of the most popular recreational lakes in the state, how else are they going to build the rediculous new football stadiums?

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/2017/08/28/233553/conroe-calls-for-evacuations-in-response-to-record-release-from-lake-conroe/

Read the article, are any towns in Harris county mentioned? Maybe I missed it...
Bag
AG
I have lived here since 86. I know 13 people personally that flooded, none had insurance and none had flooded prior to this event.
aggiebq03+
What politics are you talking about?
Would you be better off if there was no dam and all 150,000 cf/s of water had come to Kingwood instead of only 79,000 from the Conroe watershed area?

You are aware it was over 225,000 cf/s in total headed to Kingwood. Lake Conroe release was barely 1/3 of that.

Are you just ignoring everything posted here and in every article that doesn't fit with your "IT WAS ALL POLITICS" agenda?

It's sucks. We get it. Natural disasters usually do. But it was no one person or group of peoples fault. If you want to blame someone blame whoever decided to develop houses at the drainage point for the entire north side of the greater Houston area.
Bag
AG
Again, the motive was not flooding kingwood. I am not arguing that. The motive was to not release water from lake Conroe in an effort to protect that cash cow for the county. Low lake levels are bad for business. Hell, the article I posted have direct quotes from the authorities staying as much
Bag
AG
I am aware, and I witnessed with my own eyes that when lake Conroe went from 0 to 11 on the release that all hell broke loose. With zero warning for folks in Harris county
aggiebq03+
Bag said:

Low lake levels are bad for business. Hell, the article I posted have direct quotes from the authorities staying as much

This is a straight up lie.
Bag
AG
Not saying it was all politics, the fundamental issue was a total failure to communicate between two counties, the exact same **** that happened in 94.
Bag
AG
"If we pre-released and ended up not receiving significant rainfall in our watershed, then we would have drained critical supplies of stored water from Lake Conroe."

Jesus, read between the lines...
Bag
AG
Maybe I am digging, maybe I am angry, maybe I am crazy. Maybe.

I am certainly not a liar.

Some pretty big players (private citizens and businesses) are going to start asking questions once the shock wears off...
aggiebq03+
Bag said:

Jesus, read between the lines...

Try reading the ACTUAL lines of the article YOU POSTED...
Quote:

Lake Conroe dam has significantly reduced downstream flooding for every major storm in the watershed since it was constructed in 1973.

Guess what. I'd did this time too.

-You don't read articles you post
-You don't read articles others post
-You ignore facts and choose not to acknowledge them
-You repeat the same drivel over and over with no proof, while using actual statements out of context
-You choose not to answer simple questions directly

There is no reasoning with you, which I should have known from the start. I'm out.
Bag
AG
Not at all, this had nothing to do with Kingwood it had everything to do with $$$.

Low lake levels are bad for business, so somebody took a chance and bet the farm and lost, but it didn't matter because he was playing with his neighbors money.

Bag
AG
Obviously they have reduced flooding, that is the entire point of a ****ing dam. What does that have to do with anything, we all understand what dams were originally built to do. The recreation and the $$$ came later.
JP76
Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

A simple google search found your answer. Conspiracy? No. Looks like a combination of one if not the most catastrophic flooding event in the USA and bad decisions led to the dam to be so full.

http://www.lmtonline.com/news/article/SJRA-No-water-pre-release-from-Lake-Conroe-11956870.php

I believe they did prerelease during the 2005 and 2008 hurricanes ?

Or was it because of a dam issue that it was already lowered ?
I remember the lake being so low in 2006 that we had to troll out of the coves before starting the engine.
07fta07
AG
Bag said:

Most of the people in Kingwood do not have flood insurance and sooner or later are going to start asking some questions.

I have one question. Why don't they have flood insurance? That's pretty dumb especially since they live near a river/lake that has historically had flood issues.
E
AG
9/11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB!
unf
AG
WaltonLoads08 said:

OK, I'll ask.

What was the motive? The COH just really regrets annexing them against their will two decades ago and just wants to piss them off more?

Who wins in this scenario? The powerful mold remediation lobby? Mexican day laborers?

I think it's obvious that all of the army corps' mothers in law lived in Kingwood and adjcent to Barker/addicks.
Jock 07
AG
I was in Minot ND in 2011 for a pretty significant flood event caused by reservoir releases upstream. There were many folks who swore it was a Canadian conspiracy. there are nuts everywhere.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Just sayin.....flood insurance runs around $500 a year.

Most people spend that much at Starbucks.
07fta07
AG
pepe the dog said:

If you truly can't afford flood insurance, you can't afford your home.
If you choose not to buy it because you "have never flooded", well, that's on you.
E
AG
07fta07 said:

pepe the dog said:

If you truly can't afford flood insurance, you can't afford your home.
If you choose not to buy it because you "have never flooded", well, that's on you.

So much this.
johnrth
I just came to post that I think all the creeks that flow into the West fork were way above the tax day floods, memorial day floods etc. Spring creek flooded my favorite bar with 5ft of water and the bar hasn't flooded since I can remember. It may have flooded in 94 but I was a kid when that happened.

Maybe the San Jacinto river authority made an epic oops by not letting water out of lake conroe beforehand, but I'm still sure kingwood would still be underwater because of all the other creeks that flow into the west fork.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
anyone in KW need help demo'ing yet? I have family looking to help
TexAgs1992
I hope OP isn't a civil engineer.
txags92
AG
Bag said:

First off, I am not a conspiracy theorist. I am not prone to hyperbole and I am usually pretty level headed.
Not finding your opening statement very believable at this point...
Post removed:
by user
txags92
AG
You do realize that the county doesn't own or control Lake Conroe right? That the San Jacinto River Authority makes those calls? Or does that fact cause an embarrassing lump in your tin foil so you choose to ignore it?
Satellite of Love
This is impressive, the amount of acre-feet of water that Conroe took on in a day. It was about 97% full before the rains hit.

bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
reddog90
AG
Bag said:

The lake was drained before Harvey, I have pictures to prove it
Pony up.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.