Houston
Sponsored by

Your favorite Houston bar that no longer exists

38,520 Views | 294 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BigAg_12
T Durden
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What up B? Tell that f@g Kelly I said what's up.

My favorites back in the day were Warrens Inn, State Bar and Cecils on west gray.

Good times.
Pahdz
drumboy said:

No hurricane hut? They had good wet t shirt contests.
haha, every time I heard "Move *****..." I think of when they played that song when fat chicks got on stage during those contests.

I'll admit it, me and our group of friends spent damn near every Saturday at BAR Houston from 2002 through 2004. Don't care

Someone mentioned Blue Planet, but not it's descendant Shock

Someone mentioned Power Tools, that was before my time but I remember my older cousin went to Decadance and DV8.
dreyOO
Hurricane Hut. Lol. Been there. Along with a slew of very questionable joints similar in nature
Pahdz
what about Fanny's? Isn't that place something else now?
Bigballin
AG
sts7049 said:

roll-n saloon
Second this. Right down the street from my old place and could pick up some 99 cent tacos on the indirect way home.
helloag99
Gilleys
Liquid Wrench
Not the only kind of tacos you could pick up at the Roll-In, if you know what I mean, wink wink nudge nudge.
JayG80
I was thinking of the original Muldoon's on Westheimer inside of an office building just west of BW8. Muldoon's Patio bar in the galleria in still kickin.

Chuck also owned a Martini Bar near Kirby and Richmond.
Texaggie7nine
Warrens is still open I thought.
7nine
MAS444
AG
That reminds me...does anyone else remember the Martini Bar in the Post Oak area? Somewhere around San Felipe and S. Post Oak. It was attached to a restaurant that I can't think of the name of... Mid to late 90s ish...
Ag_07
AG
There was a hole in the wall place on Judiway and Oak Forest across form the park called Lone Star Bar.

We used to hang out there on Wed nights as they'd have $1 Lone Stars and live music.
HtownAg92
AG
MAS444 said:

That reminds me...does anyone else remember the Martini Bar in the Post Oak area? Somewhere around San Felipe and S. Post Oak. It was attached to a restaurant that I can't think of the name of... Mid to late 90s ish...
Yes, remember it well. It was on Post Oak Lane and was a complete talent show. Same with the bar at Sierra for a while.
aggiedata
AG
MAS444 said:

Was the restaurant called Chianti?
agz win
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

It is still open but it is the new Warrens. The original Warrens was across the block on the other side of Market Square, facing Treebeards and the new Warrens, and was in located in the Houston's opera house. It had tall gilded mirrors, red velvet curtains, a balcony, and stale sandwiches.
Sazerac
AG
thinking of Downing Street cigar bar? Believe it was next to Taco Milagro. But I thought that was on west gray.
MAS444
AG
Yep...Luther Gaines used to always play at Sierra. They had dollar drinks or something on Thursday nights...

Quote:

Was the restaurant called Chianti?

That's it!
HtownAg92
AG
This thread is just another reminder of one thing:

Being married with kids kinda sucks.

CW Griswold
Not technically Houston, but Seabrook Beach Club always had good people watching.
Coog97
CW Griswold said:

Not technically Houston, but Seabrook Beach Club always had good people watching.
Houston area... so, pour one out for Turtle Club, too.
JJxvi
AG
cclearman said:

thinking of Downing Street cigar bar? Believe it was next to Taco Milagro. But I thought that was on west gray.
Downing street and taco milagro were at Kirby and Westheimer where Richards wine and liquor and local foods are now.
88jrt06
AG
The Blue Fox on South Main.

An all-black strip club that was kind enough to admit 15 and 16 yr old white kids from Meyerland/Westbury.
Shout out to my old friends; thanks for helping me toward adulthood, also for not killing any of us.

The Blue Fox: R.I.P.
88jrt06
AG
WAAAYYY back.

Live music in old bungalows:

Damian's
Carnaby's
The house by Bagby/Westheimer?

And, a survivor: Anderson Fair
aggiedata
AG
On your way to the U2 concert with your $400 ticket, drive down Westheimer. As you pass Fountain View look over and see Lucky Village Chinese Restaurant.

Yes, U2 played there a few times for $3.00 a ticket. Hard to believe.

* old Cardi's
agz win
AG
Harlow's out on west side of town. Nice bloody mary's.
Texaggie7nine
agz win said:

Texaggie7nine said:

It is still open but it is the new Warrens. The original Warrens was across the block on the other side of Market Square, facing Treebeards and the new Warrens, and was in located in the Houston's opera house. It had tall gilded mirrors, red velvet curtains, a balcony, and stale sandwiches.
Ok, so the gay owner Warren that killed himself, was he alive when it moved?
7nine
agz win
AG
Don't recall hearing he killed himself but both Warren and Carolyn were there in late 1987 when it closed.
camelclub
AG
Sawyer Park before it got ghetto
Pearl Bar
Ei8ht Bar
Taps had some good Aggie happy hours
Gallant Knight -$1 beer thursdays
Big Woodrow's in the galleria area
rononeill
Live Bait - dug that place. ran into my high school guidance counselor there about a week after graduation... they'd accept a library card for ID...
BohunkAg
AG
The great things about the Gallant Knight were:

Sammy Relford
Cheap can beer
All the lady bartenders calling you "honey"
Panama Red
AG
camelclub said:

Sawyer Park before it got ghetto
Pearl Bar
Ei8ht Bar
Taps had some good Aggie happy hours
Gallant Knight -$1 beer thursdays
Big Woodrow's in the galleria area

You were there the first night it opened then.
AgCPA95
AG
BohunkAg said:

Sammy Relford
Cheap can beer
What about taking a leak in a shower converted to a urinal stall?

What a great collection of folks from every walk of life just hanging out having a good time - miss that place.
MAROON
AG
AgCPA95 said:

BohunkAg said:

Sammy Relford
Cheap can beer

What a great collection of folks from every walk of life just hanging out having a good time - miss that place.

loved that they only made white people pay a cover on busy nights. I'm white and that just cracked me up.

Also loved how all the middle aged African American women were completely dolled up for a night out. Man that was a great place. Progress sucks.
Sazerac
AG
just reminded me about almost getting into a fight with a guy in a wheelchair outside Gallant Knight.
Coog97
MAROON said:

AgCPA95 said:

BohunkAg said:

Sammy Relford
Cheap can beer

loved that they only made white people pay a cover on busy nights. I'm white and that just cracked me up.
Haha... yeah, experienced that as well.
Chewy
AG
The Gallant Knight was the epitome of Houston. A house converted to what was basically a straight up black jazz bar in a nice part of town. Populated by true blue bloods to minimum wage blue collars and nobody gave a damn about anybody's status as everybody was there for a bad ass time.

Parking was a free for all and I think I even parked in the front yard one time because it was so packed. Told the guy there wasn't parking to be found anywhere and he said it was fine.

People that never experienced it have no clue. And yes the urinal in the shower was the best part. Just hung a urinal and ran some exposed pipes not giving a damn about asthetics. And I'm sure the proper permits were pulled and installed by a licensed and bonded master plumber.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.