Houston
Sponsored by

High-end Watches Locally?

1,615,993 Views | 14234 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by TheVarian
Serotonin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BBRex said:

TarponChaser said:

I don't pay close attention or dive into things like some of y'all but it sounds like Hodinkee might be struggling.

WSJ: They Built a $100 Million Watch Empire. Then the Market Tanked.

That's the concern with trends like this. They eventually crest and fall. You see the same thing with craft beer, scotch and bourbon. And it's what makes the Rolex expansion and price increases a risk. They don't want to lose money in the short term, but when you work to expand to meet demand, the boom might be over just as the expansion work you paid for finally comes online.
I think Rolex will aggressively manage supply if they see demand falling.

They're under no pressure from shareholders to try to max out short term profits so I think they'll prioritize defending the brand over short term sales.

The other thing for us to consider for us as American buyer is what the dollar will do over the next few years. If Trump follows the Nixon playbook of devaluing the dollar (to address trade deficits and increase American exports) then imported luxury goods will definitely appreciate in dollar terms.
https://www.politico.com/news/2024/04/15/devaluing-dollar-trump-trade-war-00152009
bthotugigem05
AG
A friend of mine was just hired as a watchmaker by Rolex so they're definitely still staffing up.
Serotonin
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

A friend of mine was just hired as a watchmaker by Rolex so they're definitely still staffing up.
Definitely interested in hearing more about this. How did he get into watchmaking? Is he already over in Switzerland?
TheVarian
AG
Serotonin said:

bthotugigem05 said:

Definitely interested in hearing more about this. How did he get into watchmaking? Is he already over in Switzerland?

All the details please.
jh0400
AG
nealan said:

I'd wait til the hype dies down and buy it for $3,800

That's my plan assuming I like the way it wears. I've got an international flight coming up, so hopefully there is one in the duty free that I can try on.
TheOC16
AG
Derek Lively's wearing an iced out Cartier Santos Dumont (on my wish list, just mins the diamond crusting) on the bench tonight.
BoDog
AG
TheOC16 said:

Derek Lively's wearing an iced out Cartier Santos Dumont (on my wish list, just mins the diamond crusting) on the bench tonight.
Rookie contract....
K Bo
AG
New Strap Tailor strap for the Speedy Pro
Aggie Therapist
AG
Oh that is sharp
You’re not alone—the Veterans Crisis Line is here for you. You don’t have to be enrolled in VA benefits or health care to call.

Dial 988 Press 1
Serviam
Group buy?
nealan
Made for only 10 months…

("You're Terrific")
schmendeler
AG
Watched this one today as well
nealan
F*%^ Rolex

Had me dying LOL
RO519
AG
Any thoughts on Jack Mason watches? I got served an add on Instagram for them and clicked around their website a bit. I think its cool that they are a Texas watch maker (uncool that they're based in Dallas.)

The limited edition Dr Pepper collab Strat-O-Timer GMT they did is a pretty good looking watch.
Aggie Therapist
AG
12 users purchase. We all wear it one month out of the year.

I'll wear first, flip it for cash and go off the grid
jh0400
AG
$1,000 for a Miyota is nuts IMO.
nealan
That exact watch is for sale on Watch Recon right now. They want $2,200 for it. Pre-owned I believe
nealan
Actually, $2,299

RO519
AG
I saw that. Pretty crazy price for a small brand like that. They must have hit the nail on the head doing a limited release on the Dr Pepper collab.

No way I would pay $2300 for it.
zgolfz85
AG
for under 1k, there are so many better micro watch brands out there compared to Jack Mason. The hype on the DP collab is all about the DP and very little about JM.
Coog97
zgolfz85 said:

for under 1k, there are so many better micro watch brands out there compared to Jack Mason. The hype on the DP collab is all about the DP and very little about JM.
With another Texas-based micro, I feel like I've gotten really good bang for our buck with my Dufrane Waterloo... I've absolutely fallen in love with the watch and wear it frequently, despite it being more on the "dressy" side.

Around $700 with a Sellita SW200-1 movement that they calibrate in-house.
“Things weren’t gentle and politically correct in those days. We weren’t candy asses. Okay?”
-Frank Borman

“Who are you to doubt El Dandy? ‘Cause this guy’s a serious professional.”
-Bret Hart
zgolfz85
AG
Coog97 said:

zgolfz85 said:

With another Texas-based micro, I feel like I've gotten really good bang for our buck with my Dufrane Waterloo... I've absolutely fallen in love with the watch and wear it frequently, despite it being more on the "dressy" side.

Around $700 with a Sellita SW200-1 movement that they calibrate in-house.

Yep good call. I really like their stuff…shame it's out of Austin though ha
Serotonin
AG
One thing that FTAC has really opened my eyes to is resale value.

Microbrands have very little or no resale value, so you spend $1.1k (or whatever after tax) and should just consider that money gone for good.

Whereas if you buy a gently used Tudor or Omega then you can sell that in a year or two if you want to do something else and get a lot of your money back.
zgolfz85
AG
Serotonin said:

Microbrands have very little or no resale value, so you spend $1.1k (or whatever after tax) and should just consider that money gone for good.

Whereas if you buy a gently used Tudor or Omega then you can sell that in a year or two if you want to do something else and get a lot of your money back.
yep, that's why I only buy micros that I see myself wanting in my lifetime collection
Serotonin
AG
zgolfz85 said:

Serotonin said:

yep, that's why I only buy micros that I see myself wanting in my lifetime collection
Yep, same.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag

Looking for another dress-ish watch, specifically one that looks slick with a black leather strap. Don't really care for completely plain-faced dials that are typical of dress watches, and like interesting complications like moonphase or the asymmetrical dial of the Glashutte original. These are my two favorite so far that are at the upper limit of my price range (pre-owned). I liked the white dial versions of both, but preferred the black dial for each. Seeing what y'all's opinions are and if y'all had any other recommendations.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BoDog
AG
Serotonin said:

Your not getting your money back on a Tudor or Omega. Your not going to take a bath... but you are not breaking even.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
New…you won't. Gently used, you definitely can.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
schmendeler
AG
BoDog said:

Serotonin said:

Your not getting your money back on a Tudor or Omega. Your not going to take a bath... but you are not breaking even.

1. You're
2. If you buy a used a Tudor or Omega you can definitely get a lot of your money back if you resell it. No one is going to care that they are the third owner rather than the second owner if it's in good condition.
D-Dubya-09
AG
BoDog said:

Serotonin said:

You are not getting your money back with most Tudor's or Omega's at MSRP, but a pre-owned or grey market one from FTAC or an online dealer, you do stand to do a lot better and potentially even break even.
AgLA06
AG
BoDog said:

Serotonin said:

That's a broad incorrect statement. 10 years ago, sure. Today, not necessarily

It depends on the line. Black Bays and GMTs tend to hold their value quite well. The new sub Rolex twin will most likely as well. Same applies to Omega and speedies. To be honest, Omega watches were starting to see some actual appreciation since Covid.

Do they appreciate like 5,6, or 7 figure watch brands that are often seen as investments that will gain value, not currently. But to say Tudor or Omega the brand doesn't hold it's value, that's not correct. Especially compared to microbrands as was the specific question.

I think the average person that doesn't know watches will look at an older model with an asking price half a new model and wrongly assume it didn't hold its value. When reality is it was originally sold much cheaper than the new inflated watch prices. And held its value quite well.
Serotonin
AG
Quote:

I think the average person that doesn't know watches will look at an older model with an asking price half a new model and wrongly assume it didn't hold its value. When reality is it was originally sold much cheaper than the new inflated watch prices. And held its value quite well.
This is a great point.
zgolfz85
AG
BoDog said:

Serotonin said:

I'm pretty sure that's why he said "and get a lot of your money back." also, since you didn't read, I'll go ahead and point out that it's you're....not your.
panag
AG
The JLC is what I would have recommended but I think it leans very dressy even with the moonphase. That said, I wear mostly dress watches so I personally like the look for more casual occasions too.
BoDog
AG
AgLA06 said:

BoDog said:

Serotonin said:

That's a broad incorrect statement. 10 years ago, sure. Today, not necessarily

It depends on the line. Black Bays and GMTs tend to hold their value quite well. The new sub Rolex twin will most likely as well. Same applies to Omega and speedies. To be honest, Omega watches were starting to see some actual appreciation since Covid.

Do they appreciate like 5,6, or 7 figure watch brands that are often seen as investments that will gain value, not currently. But to say Tudor or Omega the brand doesn't hold it's value, that's not correct. Especially compared to microbrands as was the specific question.

FTAC or not, it isnt happening. Just reached out to my brother who happens to trade often with FTAC (and has a watch collection worth north of $150k) and he says the same thing. I challenge any of you to buy a seamaster or black bay and sell it a month later then come talk to me.
First Page Last Page
Page 399 of 407

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.