Houston
Sponsored by

High-end Watches Locally?

1,619,579 Views | 14246 Replies | Last: 16 hrs ago by peteratm02
TulaneAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I like that... I'm missing a GMT in my collection and have been itching to fill that hole, but my mom asked me at Christmas if I wanted her father's gen 1 Rolex GMT Master from the 1950s.

I said yes of course so I'm waiting for her to bring that to me next time she visits and then it needs some reconditioning.

There are some very cool stories behind his watch that'll I'll share with pics when I finally get it.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
TulaneAg said:

There are some very cool stories behind his watch

YouBet
AG
TulaneAg said:

I like that... I'm missing a GMT in my collection and have been itching to fill that hole, but my mom asked me at Christmas if I wanted her father's gen 1 Rolex GMT Master from the 1950s.

I said yes of course so I'm waiting for her to bring that to me next time she visits and then it needs some reconditioning.

There are some very cool stories behind his watch that'll I'll share with pics when I finally get it.

Look forward to seeing this!

And my god the bold!! Such a softball!
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Bought my first luxury watch while vacationing in Japan.

Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra Co-axial.

I love this thing.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
schmendeler
AG
I like the gold markers and hands!
jh0400
AG
Did you ship the box back to the US?
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Nope, just stuffed it in my carry-on.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
nealan
Didn't hit you with import tax?
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Super nice watch. Congrats man Don't let these guys make you snitch on yourself on the customs thing.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Serviam
Shalom everyone, my friend Cameron told me about this site as I live in Houston and have an affinity for both watches and high ends.

I am hoping to be able to get some high end watches to show off soon but for now just have this Apple Watch.

Edit: please pay no attention to the wooden rosary hanging from the rearview, it came with the car. I have no firm opinions on religion or geopolitics, apropos of nothing
Aggie Therapist
AG
I took your Shalom greeting as a direct reference to your support of Israel in the current conflict.

I served with IDF overseas so I support Israel too.
Serviam
Aggie Therapist said:

I took your Shalom greeting as a direct reference to your support of Israel in the current conflict.

I served with IDF overseas so I support Israel too.

AgEng06
AG
This guy...

I don't know why, but I get the feeling he has some way nicer watches to show us.
jh0400
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

Super nice watch. Congrats man Don't let these guys make you snitch on yourself on the customs thing.

I'm paranoid about losing Global Entry, so I live by "wear the watch, ship the box ".
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
I used to travel a lot internationally for work and one time we were coming back from Heathrow my boss was asked "anything to declare?" and as soon as he said "no", they were like "come with us". They took him to a room with a desk and a projector and they pulled up every single credit card charge he had made since leaving the country, and asked what his $1000 purchase as Burberry was. He had bought his dad a sweater for his birthday and honestly just forgot about it. They were like "don't do that again" and let him go. I would not have believed it if I hadn't been there.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Aggie Therapist
AG
jh0400 said:

Red Pear Realty said:

I'm paranoid about losing Global Entry, so I live by "wear the watch, ship the box ".

That's the motto!
panag
AG
Nice!
Sea Speed
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

I used to travel a lot internationally for work and one time we were coming back from Heathrow my boss was asked "anything to declare?" and as soon as he said "no", they were like "come with us". They took him to a room with a desk and a projector and they pulled up every single credit card charge he had made since leaving the country, and asked what his $1000 purchase as Burberry was. He had bought his dad a sweater for his birthday and honestly just forgot about it. They were like "don't do that again" and let him go. I would not have believed it if I hadn't been there.

This is insane.
BQRyno
AG
Yeah, yikes. New plan - withdraw cash and make purchases that way. Sheesh. Glad we're spending government resources on the things that really matter.
YouBet
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

This was US customs upon landing?
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Yeah, as I remember it, he bought the sweater in Heathrow airport and then it went down in Houston. I always kind of figured that that might've been what set them off was the fact that he made the purchase just before taking off, but crazy either way. He said it was literally every single credit card charge he had made out of the country. Like pack of gum.
YouBet
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

Yeah, as I remember it, he bought the sweater in Heathrow airport and then it went down in Houston. I always kind of figured that that might've been what set them off was the fact that he made the purchase just before taking off, but crazy either way. He said it was literally every single credit card charge he had made out of the country. Like pack of gum.

Now imagine we have US CBDC. God help us.
Aggie Therapist
AG
US Customs is awful

Almost missed my flight home after not seeing my family for a year
Scruffy
AG
Aggie Therapist said:

US Customs is awful

This.

Even with global entry it takes longer to get back into my country than it does countries I'm visiting.
Aggie Therapist
AG
This!

I even had an Official Passport, regular passport and official US Army orders in hand.

I'm like "yall sent out of the country, let me back in" lol
Sea Speed
AG
Scruffy said:

Aggie Therapist said:

US Customs is awful

This.

Even with global entry it takes longer to get back into my country than it does countries I'm visiting.

I told this story elsewhere but I was in the line for my global entry interview and there was a line of "refigees" next to me and the global entry interviewer got pissy with me for thinking I was next to go to him to get interviewed and called several of the "refugees" before me. I guess I expect to be given priority as a citizen who paid EXTRA for a govt service on top of the loads of tax dollars I already pay.
YouBet
AG
Sea Speed said:

Scruffy said:

Aggie Therapist said:

US Customs is awful

This.

I told this story elsewhere but I was in the libe for my global entry interview and there was a line of "refigees" next to me and the global entry interviewer got pissy with me for thinking I was next to go to him to get interviewed and called several of the "refugees" before me. O guess I expect to be given priority as a citizen who paid EXTRA for a govt service on top of the loads of tax dollars I already pay.

You would think the line to enable the procedure that gets you ahead of the line would work the same way.
Aggie Therapist
AG
As a career govt employee, I've seen some absurd fraud, waste and abuse.
BCO07
AG
Last year in Houston coming in from Mexico we didn't have to fill out any customs forms. They just did some creepy as facial recognition and waved is in.
bthotugigem05
AG
It's more common when you're buying something at Duty Free where they scan your boarding pass in an airport.
BBRex
AG
TarponChaser said:

I don't pay close attention or dive into things like some of y'all but it sounds like Hodinkee might be struggling.

WSJ: They Built a $100 Million Watch Empire. Then the Market Tanked.

That's the concern with trends like this. They eventually crest and fall. You see the same thing with craft beer, scotch and bourbon. And it's what makes the Rolex expansion and price increases a risk. They don't want to lose money in the short term, but when you work to expand to meet demand, the boom might be over just as the expansion work you paid for finally comes online.
jh0400
AG
Has anyone pulled the trigger on one of these yet? I need to hit a boutique to try one on. Based on pictures alone, it could be my next purchase.

https://instagr.am/p/C6Q0GKNrw72
nealan
Too similar to my Sea dweller. I like it though. What's the msrp on that?
jh0400
AG
$4,500ish
nealan
I'd wait til the hype dies down and buy it for $3,800
First Page Last Page
Page 398 of 408

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.