Houston
Sponsored by

High-end Watches Locally?

1,496,079 Views | 13672 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Serotonin
Cardiag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FTAC, is the Speedmaster Moonphase still on offer?
Cardiag
AG
Also while I'm at it, anyone have thoughts on watch prices affected by COVID?

Have been looking for a good everyday watch I can sweat, fish, and do yard work with. Currently wear an Archimede Pilot's watch but the leather strap is a limitation. TIA.
Fall92
AG
PSA- Christopher Ward is having a 50% off sale for the next several weeks per the below info. I almost bought the white Malvern Chrongraph w/ the black strap but it's 39 mm. The blue Trident GMT sold out while I was checking out. Also noticed Macy's has 25% off Spinnakers right now.

C3 Malvern Chronograph (white)
C5 Malvern Automatic (white)
C5 Malvern 595 (white)
C7 Rapide Quartz (black)
C60 Trident Bronze Pro 600 (blue)
C60 Trident 300 (black)
C60 Trident 300 (orange)
C60 Trident Chronograph 300 (black)
C60 Trident Chronograph 300 (orange)
C65 Trident GMT (blue)

On each working day a handful will be randomly selected and loaded at the times below (BST)

Monday: 08:00
Tuesday: 17:30
Wednesday: 13:00
Thursday: 17:30
Friday: 08:00
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
schmendeler
AG
Fall92 said:

PSA- Christopher Ward is having a 50% off sale for the next several weeks per the below info. I almost bought the white Malvern Chrongraph w/ the black strap but it's 39 mm. The blue Trident GMT sold out while I was checking out. Also noticed Macy's has 25% off Spinnakers right now.

C3 Malvern Chronograph (white)
C5 Malvern Automatic (white)
C5 Malvern 595 (white)
C7 Rapide Quartz (black)
C60 Trident Bronze Pro 600 (blue)
C60 Trident 300 (black)
C60 Trident 300 (orange)
C60 Trident Chronograph 300 (black)
C60 Trident Chronograph 300 (orange)
C65 Trident GMT (blue)

On each working day a handful will be randomly selected and loaded at the times below (BST)

Monday: 08:00
Tuesday: 17:30
Wednesday: 13:00
Thursday: 17:30
Friday: 08:00

i've been following this semi-closely. they sell out real fast. except for the quartz watches. they stick around 10 minutes or so.
FTAC2011
AG
Cardiag said:

FTAC, is the Speedmaster Moonphase still on offer?

Hey thanks for asking. It's already sold actually. I can always get another if needed. Feel free to reach out via pm or email at crob@aggienetwork.com
aTm2004
AG
Cardiag said:

Have been looking for a good everyday watch I can sweat, fish, and do yard work with. Currently wear an Archimede Pilot's watch but the leather strap is a limitation. TIA.
Are you just wanting a general beater watch that you can abuse and it'll ask for more? If so, G-Shock. Honestly. I love mine and it's been going strong for over 10 years. I have the GW-6900, which is the solar atomic, and I haven't had to set the time on this thing since I've gotten it, and it's always at a full charge. Went with me to Alaska while we were hiking and camping, and then went with me to Costa Rica and all of the swimming in the ocean we did. Still going strong.
schmendeler
AG
aTm2004 said:

Cardiag said:

Are you just wanting a general beater watch that you can abuse and it'll ask for more? If so, G-Shock. Honestly. I love mine and it's been going strong for over 10 years. I have the GW-6900, which is the solar atomic, and I haven't had to set the time on this thing since I've gotten it, and it's always at a full charge. Went with me to Alaska while we were hiking and camping, and then went with me to Costa Rica and all of the swimming in the ocean we did. Still going strong.
does it adjust for DST? that would be pretty cool if so.
aTm2004
AG
Yes it does.
Cardiag
AG
Looking for something on the nicer side that I can wear everywhere (including to nice events) and never have to take it off. My grandfather wore a grand seiko with a metal bracelet that he treated like a beater but it still looks great. My grandmother has it locked away somewhere or else it would be mine now.

Have thought about a speedmaster or seamaster. Was looking at the speedmaster moonphase but think the domed crystal is probably not a good option for harsher conditions.

schmendeler
AG
Cardiag said:

Looking for something on the nicer side that I can wear everywhere (including to nice events) and never have to take it off. My grandfather wore a grand seiko with a metal bracelet that he treated like a beater but it still looks great. My grandmother has it locked away somewhere or else it would be mine now.

Have thought about a speedmaster or seamaster. Was looking at the speedmaster moonphase but think the domed crystal is probably not a good option for harsher conditions.

i think the speedmaster only has 50m of water resist. i think you'd want at least 100m for a beater.
aTm2004
AG
Dang...our definitions of a beater are drastically different. There's no way I'm doing yard work in one of my nicer watches. More power to you!
HouAggie2007
Worn a seamaster for the last decade and still looks pretty good. Have my eye on a speedmaster soon
Kurt Gowdy
AG
I'm not sure the speedmaster is water resistant enough for an everyday watch as you described,

The seamaster, on the other hand, obviously is.

What's your budget?
Diggity
AG
I wouldn't do yard work with an automatic watch.
schmendeler
AG
Diggity said:

I wouldn't do yard work with an automatic watch.
certainly not a "high end" watch.

that would be like hauling drywall on top of your ferrari.
Cardiag
AG
Good points on water resistance. I've been treating this automatic archimede as I describe for 5 years now and the only wear issues have been the band. My thinking is alot of these watches were designed for rugged wear so they can take it.

Price would be at/around $5k.
Exsurge Domine
Cardiag said:

The market has been depressed, Rolex still has some items selling for a premium, but they are lower than they had been. I also am unsure as to the demand level for extreme luxury goods post covid. I don't know if we'll have the same "children of the depression" style frugality like our great grandparents who lived through the depression did.
nealan
Watchbox is a very reputable company. Knowledgeable and professional. Also, they are amongst the most expensive dealers that I have come across .
Kurt Gowdy
AG
What about a pre-owned Explorer II with the red GMT hand? You could upgrade to the newer models for an additional $1500-$2000.

As cliche as it sounds, a Submariner doesn't sound like the worst watch in the world for you. Other than the fact that "everyone has one", it's a very versatile watch - it cleans up very well. I know what this generation Sub's are going for and it's out of your price range. 18 months ago you probably could've picked up a used five digit model in your price range.

If you gave me $5k to go buy a watch that I'd never take off I'd start with either Planet Ocean or a Tudor Pelagos and pocket the other $2000-$1500.
schmendeler
AG
nealan said:

Watchbox is a very reputable company. Knowledgeable and professional. Also, they are amongst the most expensive dealers that I have come across .
what are some others you recommend?
FTAC2011
AG
Cardiag said:

Good points on water resistance. I've been treating this automatic archimede as I describe for 5 years now and the only wear issues have been the band. My thinking is alot of these watches were designed for rugged wear so they can take it.

Price would be at/around $5k.

I agree with Kurt. A Rolex 16570 would be a great option. Black dial would be very close to 5k, white dial is closer to 6k. An OP39 would be a good entry level daily Rolex but there isn't a date wheel.

Other Rolex close to 6k - submariner (16610), yachtmaster (16622)

Under budget - Omega Planet Ocean/GMT are both good options. Seamaster Professional. Breitling SuperOcean Heritage 2.
Farmer1906
AG
You can get simple preowned a Datejust for 3-4 k in fantastic condition. That would be my choice for entry Rolex.
Exsurge Domine
schmendeler said:

nealan said:

Depends on the watch, authentic watches and jomashop are fine if you don't need a manufacturers warranty, I use them for standard ETA movement watches. WatchRecon is also the easiest way to browse for preowned watches as it aggregates all the major forums
schmendeler
AG
Exsurge Domine said:

schmendeler said:

nealan said:

Depends on the watch, authentic watches and jomashop are fine if you don't need a manufacturers warranty, I use them for standard ETA movement watches. WatchRecon is also the easiest way to browse for preowned watches as it aggregates all the major forums
i'm interested in a an all stainless tone datejust, 16234. watchbox had a nice model for ~$4200. i'm not going to buy anytime soon, but would be interested to see prices from places with some assurance that it's not going to be a POS.

i'll check out watchrecon. thanks.
Cardiag
AG
Thanks for the responses. I will look through those suggestions.

Trying to choose between the OP 39 red grape and the planet ocean.
Farmer1906
AG
Because they're better.
Cardiag
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Because they're better.
Yeah realized it was a dumb question and edited.
Farmer1906
AG
Cardiag said:

Farmer1906 said:

Because they're better.
Yeah realized it was a dumb question and edited.
I am just a smartass and don't get all the love for the Omega dives on here.
Kurt Gowdy
AG
PO all day. Don't underestimate how useful the timing bezel is on an everyday watch.

Between those two you only choose the Rolex for the name.
captkirk
AG
Really liking this AP. Its great

captkirk
AG
FTAC2011 said:

K Bo said:

I think he sold it for $8k
yeah that's a great price.
I bought one new in box for 6500 3 or 4 years ago. Sold it too soon

Prices have gone nuts. The Rolex Daytona prices make no sense
ChemAg15
AG
Someone mentioned G-Shock on here as a use and abuse watch so I've been looking into them as I am fairly rough on my daily wear watch. Damn they're big if you don't want a digital... I ordered a smaller/cheapo g-shock but I'd like something of better quality. Any other recommendations on a daily wear watch brand I can be rough with?
aTm2004
AG
Most are pretty big, but the digital ones are light because they're resin. They do have some smaller ones that may fit the bill.

This one is an atomic solar with reverse display.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009S13XJC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_0H3OEbQH6RT39

This one is just a solar with normal display.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002OS0FLA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_LJ3OEb6YYY5NW

Atomic solar with normal display. Check model number and see if you could find cheaper elsewhere.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00272NBJQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_gL3OEbNSHTY29
nealan
nealan
Chrono24 as well as WatchRecon are good resources. However , I bought my last watch from FTAC2011 and I would highly recommend him! He got me my explorer for a very reasonable price
First Page Last Page
Page 67 of 391

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.