Houston
Sponsored by

High-end Watches Locally?

1,460,024 Views | 13506 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by schmendeler
T Durden
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Landed on this one. Left a bit of budget to get some stuff for my wife too.

https://m.rolex.com/watches/datejust/m126334-0002.html#configurator
Farmer1906
AG
I don't love the pepsi bezel, but a lot of people do. The MT5652 apparently is very similar to Rolex's 3285, but I am sure that is just a coincidence and nothing more... Rolex also came out with the pepsi bezel as well.

It's basically a great deal to get the Rolex without actually getting it. At this point, if you have the money I would get the Rolex. If not then the Tudor.

Neither would be my first choice, but I understand why it would be high on some people's list.
Post removed:
by user
Farmer1906
AG
third coast.. said:

i havent found the watch that is my "THATS THE ONE". I have the money to buy whatever i want under 10k. I do NOT have the resolve to spend that much on a timepiece haha. I want to reward the career milestone i just achieved, but i dont want to buy something just to buy something.

ok. I lie, i HAVE seen the THATS THE ONE watch. black dial sub is what i really want, but i can not make myself buy it. plus my captain has one, and that would just seem weird.

If it is the one then it is the one. Your one just happens to be a more common watch, but it's a classic so of course it is. I love a lot of watches, but my favorite has been the Speedy for a while. Its super common and not nearly as high dollar as my other pieces. The heart wants what the heart wants.

Also, you can always go used and not commit the full 10k. You should have no issues finding one in the 6-7k range.
Post removed:
by user
David_Puddy
AG
T Durden said:

If someone gave you 12 to 13 grand and said pick out a men's watch. Which would you pick?

https://www.jmedwardsjewelry.com/rolex/

I've always been a fan of that blue & gold submariner
DVC2010
AG
Farmer1906 said:

If it is the one then it is the one. Your one just happens to be a more common watch, but it's a classic so of course it is. I love a lot of watches, but my favorite has been the Speedy for a while. Its super common and not nearly as high dollar as my other pieces. The heart wants what the heart wants.

We talked about this a bit last year when I bought my Milgauss. Apparently I'm the only one in the world who prefers the white dial (in fact, Rolex has discontinued it). As cool as the blue dial is, I just don't love it.
Kurt Gowdy
AG
Quote:

ok. I lie, i HAVE seen the THATS THE ONE watch. black dial sub is what i really want, but i can not make myself buy it. plus my captain has one, and that would just seem weird.
Get over it and live your life. If you can afford it and want - buy it. People spend their money differently. The chances that someone actually recognizes your watch is relatively low anyway.

If I were you, I'd look into the discontinued Sea Dweller 4000 (SD4k). More depth rating than the sub, matte dial, no cylcops. It's different. I just checked prices, though, and it may be hard to find in the $9-$9.5k area.

You can wear that watch everyday of your life and it will be worth more than you paid for it when the mortician pulls it off your wrist.

David_Puddy
AG
Kurt Gowdy said:

Quote:

Get over it and live your life. If you can afford it and want - buy it. People spend their money differently. The chances that someone actually recognizes your watch is relatively low anyway.

If I were you, I'd look into the discontinued Sea Dweller 4000 (SD4k). More depth rating than the sub, matte dial, no cylcops. It's different. I just checked prices, though, and it may be hard to find in the $9-$9.5k area.

You can wear that watch everyday of your life and it will be worth more than you paid for it when the mortician pulls it off your wrist.

I'd disagree and say that the majority of Rolexes have a pretty recognizable look.
Post removed:
by user
Farmer1906
AG
We have some sponsor lurkers?

https://texags.com/forums/25/topics/2960417
Post removed:
by user
aggiebq03+
If only I could let myself spend $10k on a watch...

DVC2010
AG
aggiebq03+ said:

If only I could let myself spend $10k on a watch...

Lange or nothing at all.
aggiebq03+
I don't want a gold watch, I want one in stainless.
Plus while I might one day spend $10k on a watch I don't think I'll ever spend $35k+
K Bo
AG
Has anyone used Hal Martins for repair/service? I need some work done on a 1675 and they're really close to my house.
Kurt Gowdy
AG
A vintatge GMT?

Hal Marten is fine by me on modern models but if the 1675 you're referencing is a vintage GMT, I may consider another place.

Is it just a service?
K Bo
AG
Vintage GMT. The watch took a fall and now the bezel is loose. I want someone to take a look at it and just give the rest of the watch a once-over. Thanks.
aTm2004
AG
For that, I'd probably go with Rolex service. I believe you can notate for them not to replace any parts you want (bezel, dial, hands, etc) and only do the necessary maintenance.
FHKChE07
AG
I used them to repair my vintage 1920's Omega and they did a great job. They have done some other service for me as well. Reasonable pricing I think.
K Bo
AG
Hal Martins?
Kurt Gowdy
AG
Comparing the value of a 1920's Omega and your GMT is apple and oranges.

aTm is right about sending to Rolex. There are also independent watchmakers that specialize in vintage Rolex's that could be a good choice as well.

Hal Marten's may be fine, but I'd check 3-4 different places before picking one. The most important thing is to find someone who understands 100% how to preserve the value of the piece their servicing.
K Bo
AG
Thanks. From what I've been reading most folks recommend going to the RSC in Dallas.
FHKChE07
AG
yes
captkirk
AG
Hal Martin's does good work and have worked on several vintage pieces for me.

Just picked up a Royal Oak 15400. Arrives tomorrow

Edit: Here it is - the picture does not do this watch justice

TP Ag '87
AG
These aren't high-end but in case anyone here would be interested, cross-posted some watches for sale on the Classified board:

https://texags.com/forums/50/topics/2969056

Farmer1906
AG
That is so sexy. I am jealous AF. The only thing better would be the 15202.
JSKolache
AG
New desk diver

lb sand
AG
Be careful out there.
https://abc13.com/buyer-turned-thief-shot-when-rolex-watch-sale-goes-wrong/4576474/
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
I really would like to acquire an Omega Railmaster. Any connections?
aTm2004
AG
blindey said:

Go to an Omega boutique or take a look at WUS or Rolex Forum to see if any pop up. You could also contact some gray market dealers (DavidSW) to see if they can find you one. You'll probably pay a premium, but if it's not something you're able to find sitting at a boutique or AD easily, that's what you'll have to do.
aTm2004
AG
I love that watch. I already have 3 divers and don't need another, but did try one on last time I was in Vegas and fell in love with it.
BBRex
AG
blindey said:

Jomashop might have it.
MemorialTXAg
blindey said:

Yeah, call any out of state Omega AD, get 25% off, free shipping and no sales tax. Extremely easy. Or check out Chrono24 and don't be afraid to negotiate further.
captkirk
AG
Cool micro brand retro diver I picked up

First Page Last Page
Page 50 of 386

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.