Houston
Sponsored by

High-end Watches Locally?

1,499,822 Views | 13684 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by ChemAg15
notheranymore
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have tsavorite stones in my wedding set (thanks Chuck!) and I was searching around Pinterest for tsavorite jewelry and it recommended this watch to me. It's pricier than the Rolex I was dreaming of. Hadn't heard of this brand before.

https://www.hublot.com/en/collection/big-bang/big-bang-apple-41
aTm2004
AG
That is a...uhh...very nice brand.
tmas
AG
Looking at a gentle used Rolex from a local jeweler (Houston). It has no papers or box (I can get a box for $150). I'm not concern about authenticity but is there any other reason to have papers?

Thanks!
David_Puddy
AG
tmas said:

Looking at a gentle used Rolex from a local jeweler (Houston). It has no papers or box (I can get a box for $150). I'm not concern about authenticity but is there any other reason to have papers?

Thanks!

If you're ever trying to sell it down the road. Very few buyers like you though that aren't concerned with authenticity. The Chinese are doing some crazy things with replicas these days.
Redstone
AG
I can get you a $40 Rolex from a guy who comes around in his van on occasion, straight to your door for $75 plus shipping.
14TheRoad
AG
I'm not a watch guy (these days i only wear an old Garmin Vivoactive a couple days a week) but I found this thread pretty interesting. Reading through it made me recall that I have an old watch from my grandfather that i received after he passed (along some other things such as knives and coins)

Like I said, not a watch guy so I was happy to put it in the safe until this thread inspired me to pull it out.

I know zero about this watch and was hoping some of you experts could help me with some details, where i could go to get it running (in DFW), should i get it cleaned up, and maybe a value (though i'd never sell it). There is a number on the certificate 34320684 if that helps. Thanks in advance for any help.

Guitarsoup
AG
It is probably worth around $8k.

I would take it to an Omega store and talk to them about it.

If you don't wear it every day, it will stop ticking after about a day and a half.

You could get a watch winder and keep it in there to keep it running if it does work.
MemorialTXAg
Appears to be ref. 168.0047 1969-1976. Found one listed at exactly $7,999 but is in a mint condition. Saw another one sold for $2,300 but didn't find the date. You could send it to omega and for ~$700 have it restored and polished. Probably not worth selling at this point. The fact that someone who knows what's up is asking $8k and it sold previously for way less could mean that it's now a fairly sought out collectible. Let me know what a pre owned watch guy offers though, would be interested to know how much they want to rip you off.
MemorialTXAg
Btw speaking of collectibles, the plain blue Patek SS nautilus could have been had for ~$23k last year and the price has since jumped to ~$45+ with inability to get one through AD network. I think they stopped taking reservations. I think Patek aquanaut ref. 5167A-001 is next, pre owned up from $17k to $21k+ within a year. Used to be ~$2k less than the nautilus, now $20k less. Only a matter of time...
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Guitarsoup said:

You could get a watch winder and keep it in there to keep it running if it does work.
Is this a good winder? I need one but don't want to spend an arm and a leg?
14TheRoad
AG
Thanks for the replies guitarsoup and yessir. I'm planning to take it in to Haltom in Fort Worth for them to check it out and give me an estimate for a tune up.

I'm a little torn because now that I know a little more about the watch I feel more responsibility to get it cleaned up and in good working order again. However, on the flip side it's not really my style and I don't see myself wearing it very often.

Which brings me to my last concern, if I got it fixed up and working Id put it in a winder like you linked. I assume they run on AC power? I'd like to keep it in my safe but I don't have ac power in my safe. Where do you guys keep all your watch winders? Surely all these fine watches aren't just left sitting around on a countertop right?
FHKChE07
AG
You get one of these...

http://www.buben-zorweg.com/en/collection/luxury-safes/product/show/product/orion/orion.html
MemorialTXAg
Eminus6 said:

Thanks for the replies guitarsoup and yessir. I'm planning to take it in to Haltom in Fort Worth for them to check it out and give me an estimate for a tune up.

I'm a little torn because now that I know a little more about the watch I feel more responsibility to get it cleaned up and in good working order again. However, on the flip side it's not really my style and I don't see myself wearing it very often.

Which brings me to my last concern, if I got it fixed up and working Id put it in a winder like you linked. I assume they run on AC power? I'd like to keep it in my safe but I don't have ac power in my safe. Where do you guys keep all your watch winders? Surely all these fine watches aren't just left sitting around on a countertop right?

I wouldn't get a winder if I was you. It doesn't do anything beneficial for you watch. Since it's an older watch a winder may even harm in a long term. Finally, if you do get it serviced, I would get a quote from omega too. Not just a third party watch guy.
FHKChE07
AG
The only thing a winder is good for is it minimizes the effort to reset the watch. The only time I would use a winder is if I had a supercomplicated watch (think moonphase or something like that) that would be a pain to reset. I used to be able to reset and wind my watches that were day/date in the elevator on the way down from my apartment. It takes only 30 seconds.
DVC2010
AG
I don't like how TexAgs keeps removing this thread from my watchlist.

I use my wrist for a winder. Even when I wear a suit twice a year, it's not that big a deal to reset the moon phase on my dress watch. The real travesty is that that watch only makes it out a couple of times a year.
BBRex
AG
Also, if you're thinking about selling it don't clean it up too much. A lot of vintage buyers want to see the wear. Wabi-sabi and all that.
captkirk
AG
BBRex said:

Also, if you're thinking about selling it don't clean it up too much. A lot of vintage buyers want to see the wear. Wabi-sabi and all that.
Agreed. Also keep any old parts that are replaced and sell them with the watch
tmas
AG
All, thanks for all the help...once on my wrist I was very happy with the purchase.

https://imgur.com/a/cnN29fr
aTm2004
AG
Well that is certainly nice. Congrats!
T Durden
AG
General thoughts on the Date Just? I really like the grayish color face.

REFERENCE
MODEL CASE
Oyster, 41 mm, Oystersteel and white gold
BEZEL
Fluted
WATER-RESISTANCE
Waterproof to 100 metres / 330 feet
MOVEMENT
Perpetual, mechanical, self-winding
CALIBRE
3235, Manufacture Rolex
POWER RESERVE
Approximately 70 hours
BRACELET
Jubilee, five-piece links
DIAL
Dark rhodium
CERTIFICATION
Superlative Chronometer (COSC + Rolex certification after casing)
T Durden
AG
If someone gave you 12 to 13 grand and said pick out a men's watch. Which would you pick?

https://www.jmedwardsjewelry.com/rolex/
BBRex
AG
An Explorer I and keep the change.
T Durden
AG
And if keeping the change wasn't an option?
Farmer1906
AG
Keep saving u til you can afford a yellow gold presidential 36.

If you have to get something now and don't have ANY of real watches then a black sub with datejust in a close 2nd.
BBRex
AG
A 41 Datejust with the Rhodium dial.
T Durden
AG
Thanks. That is the one I've been looking at. Still browsing.
T Durden
AG
Thanks. Those are in my top 3 I think. And no I don't currently have a "high end" watch.

BBRex
AG
If you have an extra $1,500 or so and travel, that steel Sky Dweller is nice.

https://m.rolex.com/watches/sky-dweller/m326934-0005.html
Farmer1906
AG
T Durden said:

Thanks. Those are in my top 3 I think. And no I don't currently have a "high end" watch.

Here is what I have.

I got this one for my wedding. Not everyone loves the gold, but to me, the fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet really make the datejust the datejust.

I went a little different on the sub.It'ss a classic watch and dive watches are very popular. I wanted one, but also wanted to stand out a little so I went with "The Hulk". Like most dive watches, Its pretty beefy. I couldn't imagine going too much bigger and thicker than 40mm & 13mm, but people have different tastes, I guess.

If I were to get another one in that range after owning these too, I think it would be the Milgauss. It easily one of the most interesting Rolex pieces. I'm not sure on the color. Both look great IMO. It does have a lot of similarities to the datejust.

T Durden
AG
I like the black sub better than that one honestly.

My wife says this one is too plain.
https://m.rolex.com/watches/datejust/m126334-0014.html
BBRex
AG
Then definitely the Explorer I. It's such a beauty. The only reason I'd pick any other Rolex would be if I needed the date.

https://m.rolex.com/watches/explorer/m214270-0003.html
T Durden
AG
Looks like I could buy two with the budget I was given!
BBRex
AG
Sounds like a good plan to me.
JSKolache
AG
T Durden said:

If someone gave you 12 to 13 grand and said pick out a men's watch. Which would you pick?

https://www.jmedwardsjewelry.com/rolex/

SS Daytona
Post removed:
by user
First Page Last Page
Page 49 of 391

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.