Houston
Sponsored by

HCAD Values

115,102 Views | 772 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by speck3
rononeill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
uniform and equal - clifs notes please: does this mean if the neighborhood and/or HCAD selected comps go up by 4% average and mine went up 15% (after having successfully protested in previous years to establish a relative value to the aforementioned comps) i have been unequally and ununiformly appraised?
Cru
S
KW, not yet. Should be ready for next year, though. We do our best to come up with the same adjustment metrics that each appraisal district implements (gives credibility to the adjustments). It takes a crazy amount of time to get that info from them, then program it into our system. Additionally, we try to create our reports with specific tips and information that pertains to that county, since no two counties are the same.

Our goal for this next year is: Ft Bend, Montgomery, Galveston, Brazos, Brazoria (maybe, not huge demand), Williams, Bexar, Travis, Comal, Guadalupe and maybe Lubbock.

[This message has been edited by Cru (edited 7/29/2014 4:35p).]
Cru
S
quote:
uniform and equal - clifs notes please: does this mean if the neighborhood and/or HCAD selected comps go up by 4% average and mine went up 15% (after having successfully protested in previous years to establish a relative value to the aforementioned comps) i have been unequally and ununiformly appraised?

Not quite, though that is an argument to bring to them.

Uniform and Equal - quick version. Your property is to not be appraised unequally compared to a "reasonable" number of comps properly adjusted (to account for differences in size, condition, class/grade, and age). "Reasonable" is vague though, but we've found it usually stands at 5+, but 7+ is what you should shoot for. The purpose of this law is to make sure that winners and losers aren't picked by having higher/lower market values. I'd say taxable instead of market, but everyone's taxable value is different based on exemptions. But the purpose is to make sure everyone's starting tax point is the same as other homes after accounting for the differences in properties.

It isn't just as simple as saying "this house is appraised for less than mine" because it could be smaller, in worse shape, or a lower condition. That's where the adjustments kick in.

That's the short and sweet, but true uniform and equal is really just looking at the improvement/structure value, and not worrying so much about extra features (pools, etc) and land value. The goal is to basically say "his structure is the same as mine(or close enough and differences are accounted for)" but his value of his structure is less than mine. His being 5+ properties.
rononeill
i did the free jubally valuation and its fairly in line w HCAD's so maybe, from a technical standpoint I'm SOL. that said, we'll see what the board says next monday!
agchugger
AG
Used jubally for my formal on Monday. Argued U&E but board couldn't see past sales price from 2013.
Cru
S
chugger, email us so we can give you your refund.
Aggiethruthicknthin
AG
My informal is august 6th with harris county. Im just trying to get my sales price since they were like 30K over my sales price. Bought house May 31st, 2013. So hoping if i just show my hud document it will be easy.
whiskey02
AG
That is exactly what I did yesterday. They offered to come down to what the hud statement listed. I think the meeting lasted less than 5 minutes.

[This message has been edited by whiskey02 (edited 7/31/2014 9:02a).]
Gig-Em2003
AG
As long as they don't have record of you remodeling they will match the sales price. Otherwise they are unlikely to go all the way down to the sales price.
Wrec86 Ag
Have a meeting next Fri 8/8.

Woefully underprepared and never done anything like this before - just starting to research. Wish me luck
HtownAg92
AG
quote:
quote:

Not quite, though that is an argument to bring to them.

Uniform and Equal - quick version. Your property is to not be appraised unequally compared to a "reasonable" number of comps properly adjusted (to account for differences in size, condition, class/grade, and age). "Reasonable" is vague though, but we've found it usually stands at 5+, but 7+ is what you should shoot for. The purpose of this law is to make sure that winners and losers aren't picked by having higher/lower market values. I'd say taxable instead of market, but everyone's taxable value is different based on exemptions. But the purpose is to make sure everyone's starting tax point is the same as other homes after accounting for the differences in properties.

It isn't just as simple as saying "this house is appraised for less than mine" because it could be smaller, in worse shape, or a lower condition. That's where the adjustments kick in.

That's the short and sweet, but true uniform and equal is really just looking at the improvement/structure value, and not worrying so much about extra features (pools, etc) and land value. The goal is to basically say "his structure is the same as mine(or close enough and differences are accounted for)" but his value of his structure is less than mine. His being 5+ properties.

I think my only argument is the same as his, since they seem to have me dead to rights on appraised $/sf (mine is actually lower than their comps). I will argue that my appraisal was unequally increased this year. Will that argument have any legs, if I have found 10 comps of similar grade, age, etc. (many were built by the same builder within a year or so as mine), which saw an improvement increase of 11-25%, while mine went up 41%?

I really can't rely on sales because people have been buying for crazy amounts in my neighborhood, and I don't have the resources to find quick sales in 2013 that would support argument that 2% sales adjustment isn't warranted.

Going on Tuesday.
EconAg05
AG
Cru/Diggigty/other tax experts

So I was able to get my value lowered below the capped value but noticed that the "capped account" indicator had changed to "NO". I assume this is because that inidactor is a binary one that is coded to show "yes" if the value bumped above 10% and they are capping you, or "no" because you are below the 10% adj. Is this a correct assumption?

BTW Cru - this is my first year using Jubally and have nothing but great things to say about it. The informal guy was very familiar with it and made arguing the value super easy. I used to compile all of the info myself for my spreadsheets, so needless to say, Jubally saved me a ton of time.
EconAg05
AG
DP

[This message has been edited by EconAg05 (edited 8/4/2014 8:28a).]
Cru
S
Econ, can you send the document to me to look at so I can make sure and answer you correctly?
pnut02
AG
Have my formal this morning. Here we go...
EconAg05
AG
PM Sent
DRE06
AG
They reduced mine $70,000 in 77079. Purchase in 2011.

It's tough because the previous owner completely renovated so HCAD assumes that I should be the top of the market, which is hard to argue against.

[This message has been edited by Dre06 (edited 8/5/2014 12:43p).]
pnut02
AG
HCAD increased my MV by 12.5%; I was able to get it reduced to 2.5% at the formal. Thanks Cru/Jubally.
adamsbq06
AG
anyone have a coupon code for Jubally?
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Had my formal today. I tried my argument that the back 60' are improperly coded because they are not designated as "1109 -- Usable Land in Flood Control Easement". The panel waived it aside an said the easement was built into my sales price. At least they dropped me to my HUD statement price.

[This message has been edited by Mr. (edited 8/6/2014 9:37a).]
Aggiethruthicknthin
AG
My informal is this afternoon. If they dont take me down to my HUD statement, then I will use Jubally.

It is hard to argue when a smaller house that isnt updated, 2 doors down from me is selling for $60,000 more then what I paid, but thats next years problem
HtownAg92
AG
Had my formal yesterday. Got it reduced from a 27% increase to 16%, which is better than I expected and set up well for next year.

Beat Jubally suggested value by $62k. Used their comps and dug deeper for more specific arguments regarding U&E (unequal increases in improvement value). They bought it for the most part, going only slightly above my proposed value.
Wrec86 Ag
So if my appraisal and market value both show an increase of 25%, does that mean that it is not capped at 10%?

I refinanced last year and filled out the paperwork to continue the homestead exemption.....

So after some research, it looks like they never got our paperwork to continue our homestead exemption after our refinance. Either that, or they denied us.

Then, once we have no exemption (which I figured out about today) they raise us 25% (land +86% and house +5%) after staying the same for the past 5 years.

I hate this $#!+

[This message has been edited by Wrec86 ag (edited 8/6/2014 2:37p).]
Thumper Rabid
It seems that Wrec Ag's problem is that the house used to be in his wife's name. When he refinanced, he put it in his name instead. So while he submitted a new homestead exemption that was either lost or ignored by HCAD, it doesn't matter for the cap. To qualify for the cap, you have to own the home in the previous year. Wrec Ag did not. His wife did.
Is that correct?
Aggiethruthicknthin
AG
Update:

My informal went well, they matched my HUD statement, which is all I was hoping for.
fire09
AG
Knocked off 26k at the informal hearing. Inspector never saw me coming.
Cru
S
quote:
Had my formal yesterday. Got it reduced from a 27% increase to 16%, which is better than I expected and set up well for next year.

Beat Jubally suggested value by $62k. Used their comps and dug deeper for more specific arguments regarding U&E (unequal increases in improvement value). They bought it for the most part, going only slightly above my proposed value.

Wow. Great job! We can only do so much and anything extra can make a huge difference once you've set the tone.
Cru
S
quote:
HCAD increased my MV by 12.5%; I was able to get it reduced to 2.5% at the formal. Thanks Cru/Jubally.

You got it my man! Congrats!
Cru
S
quote:
So if my appraisal and market value both show an increase of 25%, does that mean that it is not capped at 10%?

I refinanced last year and filled out the paperwork to continue the homestead exemption.....

So after some research, it looks like they never got our paperwork to continue our homestead exemption after our refinance. Either that, or they denied us.

Then, once we have no exemption (which I figured out about today) they raise us 25% (land +86% and house +5%) after staying the same for the past 5 years.

I hate this $#!+

[This message has been edited by Wrec86 ag (edited 8/6/2014 2:37p).]

Just prove you had ownership before. They will correct and apply it back retro style.
rhtexfish
AG
quote:
Have a meeting next Fri 8/8.

Woefully underprepared and never done anything like this before - just starting to research. Wish me luck

Get ready to get hosed
rononeill
quote:

Great news Htown! I'm at bat Monday morning.

Pro tip (maybe): postpone your appointments as long as you can. Throughout the period of my initial notice and previous postponements of hearings, my comp set has seen a handful of reductions that have already posted due to their successful protests.

Basically my comp set has taken a collective step down - if my "relativity" argument holds, this further lowers my number. We'll see!
DRE06
AG
quote:
Pro tip (maybe): postpone your appointments as long as you can. Throughout the period of my initial notice and previous postponements of hearings, my comp set has seen a handful of reductions that have already posted due to their successful protests.

This is an excellent recommendation.

My house was just reduced $70,000 on Tuesday and has already been updated on HCAD.

My neighbors could now use my reduced appraisal as justifcation for their reduction.
Frok
AG
My informal is next Wednesday the 13th. I've never done this before so I bought the package on Jubally. I'm curious to see what response I get at the informal. Based off the info packet I feel like I have a pretty good case. I can't decide if I want to go to the formal or not. I guess it depends.
Cru
S
quote:
Great news Htown! I'm at bat Monday morning.

Basically my comp set has taken a collective step down - if my "relativity" argument holds, this further lowers my number. We'll see!

This is why we update the HCAD values every two weeks, and recommend to have your hearings rescheduled. Tactical.

Frok, feel free to email us if you have any questions, or just need to talk about it all.

[This message has been edited by Cru (edited 8/7/2014 6:32p).]
Cru
S
quote:
My neighbors could now use my reduced appraisal as justifcation for their reduction.

And that is why it is important to get your neighborhood involved. Leverage off each other.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.