Houston
Sponsored by

HCAD Values

116,674 Views | 772 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by speck3
Camo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
All of my valuations still say Pending.

Granted my house was built/completed March 1, 2014. Maybe i will get lucky
Bondag
AG
quote:
quote:
Anyone have any insight as to why certain accounts are still pending and the timing of getting those appraisals?

It's a government agency....ywia

When will Jubally be updated?
BSD
AG
Mine just showed up today. Up 47%. Fuuuuuuucccckkkk.
aTm_bomb
AG
Just got the update today; bought in Oct '13. 187K to 317K... ouch.
LostInLA07
AG
What did you pay in October?
smokeythebear
AG
New ITL homeowner as of last Monday. It sounds like I'll have to weather the storm for one round of valuations (come out in 2015?) before I can get the 10% cap. Any words of encouragement?
AggieT
AG
Nope. You're probably ****ed.
Satellite of Love
Just checked and still pending.
Cru
S
quote:
When will Jubally be updated?

When HCAD releases the data in bulk.
E
AG
Went up $31k
aTm_bomb
AG
Paid 335 in October so I guess I should be happy? I know I likely don't have much ground to dispute but as everyone says, always dispute. Got a guy who only charges if its a successful reduction. Anyone have an idea what an average agent charges for disputing? First go around i want to learn the process and what to consider for future disputes.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Nevermind, ATM_Bomb, you're screwed, can't fight that... I read your OP above wrong...

So in 2013 the Appraisal was $187K; you bought at $335K, and now the new appraisal for 2014 is $317K

Right? Sounds like you just need to apply for Homestead and pray they on't raise it the full 10% in 2015

[This message has been edited by SpreadsheetAg (edited 4/8/2014 7:35a).]
Summer95
AG
Thank god we bought our primary in 2012 - got the cap. The rental is another story.

Got the HCAD the same day as the adjusted escrow on the mortgage - if I don't pay a lump sum towards escrow the monthly rent on the house won't cover the mortgage. Just got new tenants in Feb so I can't raise rent until next year.

Looks like it's time to get serious about paying that mortgage down/off.
SpreadsheetAg
AG

[This message has been edited by SpreadsheetAg (edited 4/8/2014 7:38a).]
aTm_bomb
AG
Thanks spreadsheet. I expected as much. Market and appraised value are both at 317 so I wouldn't expect another spike unless they reappraisal next year. Homestead is already filed.

Best bet is to watch similar house prices for the next year and use as support for 2015 if they are lower than my current value right?
Zemira
AG
Random question about homestead exemption:

So if someone you knew had a 4 unit rental property, and they lived in a unit 3 months a year and the remainder of the time all the units were rented. Do they qualify for homestead exemption? The other 9 months the owner lives out of state.

Also would they be able to get the over 65 exemption?
randy828
AG
Something strange I am noticing about HCAD and the values on my street...seems to me that all the one story homes are getting jacked up around $17K while the two story homes are only going up around $6K. Strange?
Mr.Bond
AG
Bigger lots maybe
Quantum ace
AG
For the homestead exemption, you have to have owned the house since Jan 1 to qualify for that year, correct? So if I bought a house Jan 2 2013, the homestead exemption would be for 2014?

If the purchase was in 2013, I should be able to use that purchase price to contest a 40% increase?
Aggie1205
AG
Question clarified: Do y'all expect this to put more houses (ITL or close by) on the market than what is being seen now?

[This message has been edited by Aggie1205 (edited 4/9/2014 1:19a).]
AggieOil
AG
Probably not what I would've taken from this thread
wessimo
AG
buy high, sell low?
Mr. McGibblets
AG
quote:
So for a first time house buyer, could this be a good time to try to jump in?

Da fuq?
Ducks4brkfast
Aggie1205
AG
Could the increased taxes help generate more listings on the market? Right now its hard to even find available places.

It would be based on the assumption that prices aren't going to be dropping anytime soon and thus it wouldn't be buying high.

InnerCityAg
Nah, the trick for you is to put an offer on something recently listed... preferably day one of the listing.

If it has been on the market for months something is wrong.
Post removed:
by user
notheranymore
Apologies if this is addressed earlier in the thread...I used to use Property Consulting Group as our agent for fighting HCAD but they've switched to doing only commercial properties. I'm looking at the contract for the person they've referred us to and he wants to charge 35% of tax savings. 35% seems high. What do you pay (if you use this service - we're not going to do it ourselves)?
Mr. McGibblets
AG
That is typical for residential. Sometimes it is a flat fee that ranges between $300-$500. Make sure you read the contract correctly. The contingency fee is based off of tax savings. If the market is $300k and the appraised is $250k and they cut it to $275k. You did not save any on taxes. Some firms will still bill you even though they never saved you a dime.
hth
notheranymore
Contract reads: subtract each year's final market value from its initial market value, and then multiply that amount by the previous year's total tax rate. The resulting number is multiplied by the agreed upon contingency percentage.

Is that fair?
Mr. McGibblets
AG
Nope-

They are basing it off of the market value only. You do not receive any tax savings unless you cut it below the appraised value. This is why the flat fee rate works best bc you pay it if I save you $0 or $2k.
notheranymore
Thx!
Ducks4brkfast
AG

[This message has been edited by Ducks4Brkfast (edited 4/11/2014 11:15a).]
Quantum ace
AG

quote:
For the homestead exemption, you have to have owned the house since Jan 1 to qualify for that year, correct? So if I bought a house Jan 2 2013, the homestead exemption would be for 2014?

[This message has been edited by Quantum ace (edited 4/13/2014 5:07p).]
cwpaggie07
AG
Jubally has been updated. Looks like they think my property is $21k overvalued based on assessment. My assessment went up 14%, but they think it should only be 4%. As this is my first year where a protest is warranted, I'm strongly considering using the product. Anybody have any more thoughts regarding Jubally?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.