Metroplex
Sponsored by

2021-2022 Winter Armageddon

76,318 Views | 871 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by planoaggie123
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
planoaggie123 said:

i guess in theory i cannot be THAT expensive, right?

Just chop it off, get a few new shutoff valves, tees, joints, etc?

I guess the previous owner paid for the cheapest repairs but held for several years and never had issues...until the great freeze of 2022....
[Blanket "that's what she said for whole post]

It's not or it shouldn't be. Hell, I had my lawn guys fix my PVC fountains and they just did it for free while they were here. Two of them had shifted over the years and were no longer in the hole and were spraying water in my garden vs in the pool.

They cut and extended the pipe, so it was back in the proper hole and hitting the right target.
planoaggie123
AG
Seems like re-doing PVC vs patching often seems easier. I battled some stuff with pool draining 2 years ago and the shortcuts were harder than replacing the whole darn thing.

Your lawn guy in the Plano area? I was thinking maybe reaching out to a guy who did some sprinkler work too. Just not sure if they are good w/ the valves, etc.
YouBet
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Seems like re-doing PVC vs patching often seems easier. I battled some stuff with pool draining 2 years ago and the shortcuts were harder than replacing the whole darn thing.

Your lawn guy in the Plano area? I was thinking maybe reaching out to a guy who did some sprinkler work too. Just not sure if they are good w/ the valves, etc.
Oh, I agree re-doing is the way to go. The challenge might be locking down the right valves. I think there is still some shortage in that area going on.

My pool guy is pretty local to Dallas, but I will ask him on Tuesday what his territory is. It does seem like he's starting to wind down his business though. He's actually begging me to get a pool cover and would cut my price significantly so he doesn't have to work as hard on my pool. Lol.
planoaggie123
AG
I have a pool guy....he just over-charges for everything outside of his reasonable monthly service fee. He seems to make his money on repairs. Nice guy but I just don't care to pay his premiums most of the time. I will wait for his bid; however. Maybe he will keep it under $250 or so.

If your guy would be willing to do a one-off service call i could give you my number. i can send him pics etc so we can basically bid out the project vs having trips out to assess, etc. But may not be worth his time / effort...
YouBet
AG
planoaggie123 said:

I have a pool guy....he just over-charges for everything outside of his reasonable monthly service fee. He seems to make his money on repairs. Nice guy but I just don't care to pay his premiums most of the time. I will wait for his bid; however. Maybe he will keep it under $250 or so.

If your guy would be willing to do a one-off service call i could give you my number. i can send him pics etc so we can basically bid out the project vs having trips out to assess, etc. But may not be worth his time / effort...
I'll ask him and see what he says.
riverrataggie
AG
Another successful TexAgs hookup.
planoaggie123
AG
My pool guy said he will take care of it under $200....he said maybe $175...trip charge + new pipe + some new valves...just going to get it done....
duck79
AG
So our family has a flight at 8pm Wednesday to Orlando. Looking at the weather, it doesn't look very positive that the flight happens. Ugh
AggieFrog
AG
duck79 said:

So our family has a flight at 8pm Wednesday to Orlando. Looking at the weather, it doesn't look very positive that the flight happens. Ugh
Still a bit early for exact timing on Wednesday, but I'm seeing 68 degrees and a slight chance of rain (<20%) at 8pm Wednesday. Most of the rain is later that night as of right now.
duck79
AG
Ok thanks. I saw hail and possible tornado(85% rain)as prediction on my accuWeather and put that with a post from Jeff Pistkowski that everything fired up at 6.
Cramp00
duck79 said:

Fingers crossed for you. Orlando absolutely sucks.
rebag00
AG
So...freezing rain/Ice/snow on Wednesday and Thursday?
Decay
AG
Alexa on my counter said no snow is expected but I'm pretty skeptical. I'm assuming at least some sort of cold transition to freezing.
bert harbinson
AG
According to those who follow such things, models starting to agree on winter event next week, but more likely freezing rain/ice at this point.
Legal Custodian
AG
Yeah, I was coming here to post just that. As soon as I declare winter as being over this pops up on the forecast.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Did anyone get any actual hail early this morning?
DannyDuberstein
AG
We barely got any rain. .05"
wbt5845
AG
That wind tho - my dogs were quivering in the corner like a tornado was hitting.
PlanoAg98
AG
This current front will be gone by tomorrow afternoon. Next week's front won't come till Tuesday. Good weather for watching the opening weekend of Aggie baseball out under the gazebo this weekend.

The Collective
AG
wbt5845 said:

That wind tho - my dogs were quivering in the corner like a tornado was hitting.

Wind was crazy. I woke up & pondered bringing the kids downstairs... and then next thing I knew, my alarm was going off. Guess I didn't care that much.
planoaggie123
AG
Going to be a nice weekend....annoying that in less than a week we will be having another winter storm....i need to move to Mexico....
Coates
planoaggie123 said:

Going to be a nice weekend....annoying that in less than a week we will be having another winter storm....i need to move to Mexico....

Is it really a winter storm? Looks like just a cold front with rain.
planoaggie123
AG
Hope that is all. Those guys in that storm2k site are signaling worse than 2 weeks ago…
Coates
planoaggie123 said:

Hope that is all. Those guys in that storm2k site are signaling worse than 2 weeks ago…

They said 2 weeks ago would be as bad as last year, they only look at worst case scenario models. Not saying things can't change, but as of now it's barely getting below 32.
bert harbinson
AG
Historical weather data for DFW

Interesting stuff here on freezing temperatures. Dates back to 1898-99 (that was a rough one pal).
TexAggee05
AG
Seeing another .1-.25" of wintery mix predicted for Wed/Thur. Fun times ahead.
752bro4
AG
I am trying to figure out wha to do on this next round… my wife and I have a trip planned Thursday morning, 9:00ish AM flight out of DFW. I went ahead and booked another flight for us on SW out of LUV, at 6:05 AM.

Essentially hedging my bets that if this hits later, we're more likely to get out early on SW, and no chance of delays from the incoming flight or ice.

I haven't flown a lot in cold/icy weather out of here. Anyone have a pulse on how DFW operates vs LUV when it comes to ice, or if one of them is more likely to be impacted by weather?

I can easily cancel one of the flights, but need to do so 24 hours before departure.
Scriffer
AG
Similar question.... My wife has an early flight Friday. Seems like airport operations should be back to normal-ish. Is that reasonable?
planoaggie123
AG
I hope you are good because if not, my kids will likely have been off from school all week (tomorrow is a teacher work day) and we will only have 1 week before spring break....may have to ship them off to my parents for a few days....

edit: forgot, we have an extended spring break with the following Monday due to weather makeup day....
DannyDuberstein
AG
planoaggie123 said:

I hope you are good because if not, my kids will likely have been off from school all week (tomorrow is a teacher work day) and we will only have 1 week before spring break....may have to ship them off to my parents for a few days....

edit: forgot, we have an extended spring break with the following Monday due to weather makeup day....

Assuming you are in Plano, that following Monday is being used as a makeup for the last storm. So there will be school that day
DannyDuberstein
AG
In the past, I'd say Love had better odds of less disruption than DFW. As of the past year, both are a crapshoot.

As far as traveling Friday, it just depends on the ripple effect. My sister had a DFW to Orlando flight (AA) on Saturday after the storm a few weeks ago canceled and wasn't going to be able to get out until Sunday night at best. Ended up taking Spirit to get out Saturday, only option.
Aggie_95
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

planoaggie123 said:

Assuming you are in Plano, that following Monday is being used as a makeup for the last storm. So there will be school that day
Not sure why PISD didn't cannibalize tomorrow (February 22nd) as the bad weather day with the potential for more lost days later this week. If we lose days, they could still use the Monday after spring break as one of the days we may potentially miss this week. Is it because it is designated as a teacher work day?
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think they considered tomorrow too tight of a turnaround, giving people barely a week to reconfigure plans to have kids in school tomorrow, whereas the spring break extra day is basically a month's notice

If they end up needing more lost days, i bet they do not make them up.
planoaggie123
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

planoaggie123 said:

Oh that is good. I just went through emails and noticed that announcement. I had not been paying attention...
riverrataggie
AG
I'm already seeing cancellations rolling in for inclement weather. We as a society have gotten soft. It's not even going to get cold enough to freeze anything on the ground.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.