Metroplex
Sponsored by

Dallas Food & Beverage News

46,528 Views | 289 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by FTAco07
Boat Shoes
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
albatross said:

Dakota's in downtown Dallas. Kind of a mystery it lasted this long anyway.
I went for the first time for a lunch meeting a couple of months ago. Lived in Dallas for 15 years, never knew it was there.
Duncan Idaho
Lots of good memories there. They had a $5 happy hour burger.....countless nights we would go down there to grab a burger and beer before heading out for the night.

Had more than my fair share of "hey great job on the presentation the partner wants to grab lunch when we get back to the office" lunches there.
harge57
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Lots of good memories there. They had a $5 happy hour burger.....countless nights we would go down there to grab a burger and beer before heading out for the night.

Had more than my fair share of "hey great job on the presentation the partner wants to grab lunch when we get back to the office" lunches there.
Yah... Had a lot of old partners that liked to eat there.

Shame that the non-nonsensical response to this virus will destroy so many lives.
Boat Shoes
AG
harge57 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Yah... Had a lot of old partners that liked to eat there.

Shame that the non-nonsensical response to this virus will destroy so many lives.

For the record, the one time I did eat there, the food was great. And it was eve a prix fixe menu.
dave94
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

My office used to be across the street, so that was always a go-to for lunch with the higher ups.
Buford Tannen
AG
It was a very popular place among KPMG partners in the Harwood days
GarlandAg2012
AG
Not a great look for Former Student/Football player turned restauranteur imo

https://www.wfaa.com/mobile/article/news/video-shows-large-crowds-outside-dallas-restaurant-dpd-and-code-enforcement-shut-it-down-after-multiple-complaints-owner-says-hes-being-targeted/287-8f683dde-fa9b-48be-bb65-59b8a8aa961c
Austintm
Dakota's
Worked in downtown Dallas 87-99, and in the building on Akard where it is (then called Lincoln Plaza) 87-89. Lots of meals there (back then, it was just "Dakota's," not "Dakota's Steakhouse"). Food was always solid, though not cutting edge. At that time, the chef was "Sevy" that opened and still owns Sevy's Grill on Preston.
It was really nice outside on a cool Spring or Fall day.
The story you may have seen is true: First Baptist sold the land that the office tower was on, and prohibited an establishment that sold liquor. That restriction did not apply below ground, which is why it was below ground.
walton91
Desert Racer on Lowest Greenville is reopening
Quote:

Nick Badovinus' Lower Greenville restaurant Desert Racer will reopen Thursday but with a new twist. It will feature an outdoor pop-up restaurant called Vantina on the patio.

Vantina will serve Baja-style food, and it could eventually become a permanent concept for the restaurant
double aught
AG
White people love pop up anything.
Mollie03
AG
I just read on Facebook that Houston's in Addison is closing. Last day is Saturday. Anyone know why they are closing?
752bro4
AG
Mollie03 said:

I just read on Facebook that Houston's in Addison is closing. Last day is Saturday. Anyone know why they are closing?
wow

https://escapehatchdallas.com/2020/06/beloved-restaurant-houstons-in-addison-to-permanently-close-saturday-which-means-no-more-houstons-in-dallas/?fbclid=IwAR05pq7KcpLbV3igJzITMEEAtSQyq4eXKskNctbp5g3Lg0ae5xAs1DVEVPk
TxAG#2011
Ehhh hillstone is basically the same
YouBet
AG
TxAG#2011 said:

Ehhh hillstone is basically the same

It was same people at one point. Believe they had a falling out.

And this sucks because it's near us.
Mollie03
AG
Never been to Hillstone. Houston's is closer and have been going with my family for 20 years. People in north Dallas are pretty sad about it.
752bro4
AG
Can confirm there was a line at the door at 10:30, and when I was there at 2:30, there was still a wait.
YouBet
AG
Mollie03 said:

Never been to Hillstone. Houston's is closer and have been going with my family for 20 years. People in north Dallas are pretty sad about it.
Pretty much same menu.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Looks like Slater's 50/50 is a goner. For Lease banner on their patio.
bagger05
AG
DoubleWide is taking collections trying to stay alive.

https://gf.me/u/yfh8dk
walton91
Hudson House in Lakewood opens tomorrow (July 28)
mncag
I walked by Hudson House, they were reservation only tonight, i Just wanted to see what it looked like on my way to Taco Joint. Looked nice inside and they for sure were spreading people out.
walton91
Tried walking in at HH yesterday at 6 and they were still reservations only. Place was packed
walton91
BarNone is opening in East Dallas, next to El Vecino

https://lakewood.advocatemag.com/2020/12/03/barnone-opening-2/amp/
GarlandAg2012
AG
Bumping this old thread. Lots of changes since the end of 2020. Here are some recent news items:

D Magazine updated their top 50 in Dallas:
https://www.dmagazine.com/best-dallas-restaurants-right-now/?referrer=interactive

Thunderbird Station closed

Birdie's Eastside is about to open, pretty sure they have done some friends and family nights already? Looked like it the other night but not sure.

Bar Collette is a new cocktail bar in the West Village associated with Namo.

Henry's Majestic reopened in its new location - old one at McKinney & Monticello is demolished. New location is out by Trinity Groves.

Leela's Wine Bar reopened on Lowest Greenville

Lots of new omakase has opened in Dallas

Veritas Wine Room is really actually closing this time, in a couple weeks (last guided wine tasting is next week I believe)

Voodoo Doughnut opened a Dallas location on Lowest Greenville.

752bro4
AG
Purepecha (#1) was the most unique dining experience I've had here. Really good and was cool that his mom and aunt were cooking everything right there in front of you. It's been a few years since I've been, not sure if it's the same still.

Quarter Acre (#20) - been once and going again Saturday night, highly recommended

Gemma (#12) - haven't been since they've renovated, but going next week and excited. Their rabbit ragu is one of my favorite dishes in dfw.

I was disappointed with Beatrice (#16) and Tiffany Derry's Roots (#28) - neither just did anything for me. At Beatrice, it started strong with the bread basket, and each dish was less impressive, gumbo had no depth, have had better at Razoos.

Jose (#34) is consistently one of the best Mexican meals each time we go.

Thunderbird (#49) - best Detroit pizza I've had.

Billy Can Can, Partenope, and Zoli's were all surprising to me to consider them top 50. They're good, but didn't blow my hair back.

Lots of spots I'm unaware of, need to put them on the list.

Glad to see that Bobby's Airway and Anchor Bar didn't make any top list. We were very excited about new spots at Preston/Royal, but they've been disappointing both times.
GarlandAg2012
AG
752bro4 said:

Purepecha (#1) was the most unique dining experience I've had here. Really good and was cool that his mom and aunt were cooking everything right there in front of you. It's been a few years since I've been, not sure if it's the same still.

Quarter Acre (#20) - been once and going again Saturday night, highly recommended

Gemma (#12) - haven't been since they've renovated, but going next week and excited. Their rabbit ragu is one of my favorite dishes in dfw.

I was disappointed with Beatrice (#16) and Tiffany Derry's Roots (#28) - neither just did anything for me. At Beatrice, it started strong with the bread basket, and each dish was less impressive, gumbo had no depth, have had better at Razoos.

Jose (#34) is consistently one of the best Mexican meals each time we go.

Thunderbird (#49) - best Detroit pizza I've had.

Billy Can Can, Partenope, and Zoli's were all surprising to me to consider them top 50. They're good, but didn't blow my hair back.

Lots of spots I'm unaware of, need to put them on the list.

Glad to see that Bobby's Airway and Anchor Bar didn't make any top list. We were very excited about new spots at Preston/Royal, but they've been disappointing both times.
I was not super impressed with Quarter Acre, but have only been once and went close to when it opened, maybe it has hit its stride more now.

Tei-An (#8) definitely underwhelmed me considering how highly acclaimed it is, but I think its possible I just don't like soba that much.

Rye (#10) is pretty good, but sometimes feels like its trying a bit to hard to be "GaStRonOmY" to me. However, I have sort of become buddies with the guy who owns it and he's a super solid dude. And I love Apothecary next door.

Have been to Billy Can Can (#21) a few times but not since maybe 2020. Need to check it out again. I remember liking what I had but thinking it was pretty standard southwestern food.

I like Beverlys (#32), but something about it makes me think its a little more about appearances than substance. Not sure what it is, maybe the HP crowd that is always there.

Cosmos up to #42 - I love it and am a regular there. Worried it will become too crowded with more acclaim, but very happy for the team there. It is such a wonderfully weird spot.

Glad to see Alamo Club getting some love too. Elevated bar food in a way I really enjoy.

752bro4
AG
A couple things not referenced in that list

Weekend breakfast/pasteries at Cart Blanche are amazing. Get the sausage gravy stuffed hot pocket looking thing. I saw they had a bbq pop up, but not sold out before I could purchase.

Bad Chicken for wings in Preston center (moving to east dallas soon) smoked then fried, good stuff

I really thought Loro was going to be amazing, and was underwhelmed.

Uchi/Uchiba should be on that list.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Surprised Sisters didn't make the list. I guess it doesn't get much pub, but I've been 2-3 times in the past year or two and think it may be my favorite restaurant in town.
GarlandAg2012
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Surprised Sisters didn't make the list. I guess it doesn't get much pub, but I've been 2-3 times in the past year or two and think it may be my favorite restaurant in town.
I'm actually very surprised the only Duro hospitality spot on the list is El Carlos Elegante - I thought Sister, The Charles, and Mister Charles were all highly acclaimed.

I also think Uchi and/or Uchiba should be on the list, but there are a lot of up-and-comers in the Dallas sushi game so maybe they are somewhat outclassed now (I doubt it but idk).

I think Carte Blanche being left off may be in reference to the controversy surrounding the chef there: https://dallas.eater.com/2022/7/22/23274136/carte-blanche-restaurant-questions-chef-michelin-resume-dallas
Pabby
AG
Regarding Uchi/Uchiba, I think they instituted a rule that the restaurants have to be unique to Dallas and not a "chain".
FTAco07
AG
I admittedly have only been to Carte Blanche for dinner once shortly after it opened, but it was far and away the worst fine dining experience I've ever had. None of the food was memorable and the expensive wine pairing poured cheap wines ranging from bad to mediocre. The "sommelier" was wearing about a size 36 jacket when he should have been in a 50 and we were relieved when he finally unbuttoned the coat, only to find out the button literally popped. Didn't help that he knew nothing and made up things about the wines.

Our group had such a bad experience we'll never go back for dinner, but love to go pick up doughnuts or breakfast pastries in the morning.

I'm still sad Cry Wolf closed, that was the best food in the city IMO and loved that you could have top quality food in a suit or shorts and a t-shirt and feel comfortable either way.
FTAco07
AG
I should add Goodwin's, in the old Blue Goose space, is planning to open in February. It's my most anticipated opening of 2024
hoosier-daddy
Blue Goose is gone?
FTAco07
AG
It closed early in 2023
hph6203
AG
Birdies opens next Wednesday.

https://lakewood.advocatemag.com/update-birdies-eastide-announces-opening-date-in-lakewood/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.