Metroplex
Sponsored by

Dallas Food & Beverage News

46,370 Views | 289 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by FTAco07
GarlandAg2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I try to stay somewhat abreast of what's going on in the food scene in Dallas but would love a running thread of what's new and what's about to leave, who is moving where, and general thoughts on the Dallas dining scene.

The news that inspired this thread is sort of a bummer: as of now it looks like The Grape is closing in October

https://www.centraltrack.com/acclaimed-lower-greenville-bistro-the-grape-is-closing/

mAgnoliAg
AG
What about Fort Worth?
GarlandAg2012
AG
Sorry, I don't really ever hang out there. We could merge the threads I guess but there's a chance I go try something in a Dallas suburb of it's great, much less so in Ft Worth
GarlandAg2012
AG
Two Dallas restaurants have been nominated for Bon Apetit's Best New Restaurant list for 2019:

Link

It's Khao Noodle Shop and Petra and the Beast
clobby
AG
Rabbit Hole Brewing is closing
Guzen
AG
Just got word yesterday that a third install of Hudson House is going at at Mockingbird and Abrams where the IHOP used to be! Lucky Lakewood!
GarlandAg2012
AG
I saw that as well! Very excited about that development.
double aught
AG
clobby said:

Rabbit Hole Brewing is closing
Surely we are in the midst of a brewery bubble. I can't imagine that all the ones that have popped up in recent years will survive.
george07
AG
I just went to Grand Rapids, MI for work this week and they have something like 43 breweries within the city limits, in a city with 1 million people in the metro. Either they are all drunks or they will also be seeing a bursting bubble soon. I don't know how many are in DFW but with the number of people here I bet many will continue doing well and stay afloat.
duck79
AG
A lot of breweries were waiting for the beer to go law to change with the hope that it will increase revenue. While it will bring in extra revenue, I think many will be surprised by how little. We fall under wine laws and have been able to sell to go and it is less than 1% of our sales. Who closes also depends on how many are still paying for their equipment. Sadly I think you will see a few close in the next 6-8 months including one prominent one.
Matsui
AG
Spill the beans - who?
walton91
It should be more for new breweries (and Peticolas) who are not yet canning, but for shops with established distribution I can't imagine it being significant.

...and I saw that Snooze an A.M. Eatery is coming next year to Casa Linda
https://lakewood.advocatemag.com/2019/09/11/snooze-opening-at-casa-linda-plaza/
duck79
AG
Sorry, I realized what I typed initially wasn't what I was trying to say.

You are correct, it will be more for new breweries and ones without off premise distribution. The question is whether people will continue to go out of their way to buy from the brewery 5-6 months from now.
Kanyes psychiatrist
Guzen said:

Just got word yesterday that a third install of Hudson House is going at at Mockingbird and Abrams where the IHOP used to be! Lucky Lakewood!
Yay more frozen food dropped in the fryer or put on the flat top! Lucky Lakewood!
GarlandAg2012
AG
That's a pretty hot take. I thought the food at Hudson House was pretty decent.
TresPuertas
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

That's a pretty hot take. I thought the food at Hudson House was pretty decent.

He thinks you are referring to Huddle House, a truck stop eatery
Kanyes psychiatrist
No I'm not.
TresPuertas
AG
Ok.

Well then your taste sucks
Kanyes psychiatrist
TresPuertas said:

Ok.

Haha ok. I didn't comment on anything that can lead you to that conclusion. If you can tell my taste in food by the internet you my friend have a gift. Considering I've had a very fortunate life that has allowed me to eat at some of the finest restaurants in America and get to know some incredibly talented chefs, I think my tastes are just fine.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Kanyes psychiatrist said:

TresPuertas said:

Ok.

Haha ok. I didn't comment on anything that can lead you to that conclusion. If you can tell my taste in food by the internet you my friend have a gift. Considering I've had a very fortunate life that has allowed me to eat at some of the finest restaurants in America and get to know some incredibly talented chefs, I think my tastes are just fine.

I believe we found the first copypasta from this thread
Disco Stu
AG
The Grape is me and my wife's favorite restaurant. I went to high school with one of the owners. We saw this news and made a reservation for one last dinner there.
Boat Shoes
AG
The Dallas Morning News has a continually updated list of comings and goings. Some good stuff on here. Of course, I'm a bit biased.

https://www.dallasnews.com/food/restaurant-news/
TresPuertas
AG
Boat Shoes said:

The Dallas Morning News has a continually updated list of comings and goings. Some good stuff on here. Of course, I'm a bit biased.

Going to go out on a limb here and guess that you are probably married to one of the main entertainment writers for the DMN
YouBet
AG
Wow. Can't believe The Grape is closing. That's an institution.

Probably old news now but I was surprised to find that Lark in the Park is now a Mexican food place and Komali is now a Tex Mex place.
culdeus
AG
Someone Google for me whether Sissy's on Knox will ever reopen
Boat Shoes
AG
TresPuertas said:

Boat Shoes said:

Going to go out on a limb here and guess that you are probably married to one of the main entertainment writers for the DMN

And I've converted her to an Aggie.
Boat Shoes
AG
Kanyes psychiatrist said:

Guzen said:

Yay more frozen food dropped in the fryer or put on the flat top! Lucky Lakewood!

I'm genuinely interested in what you've tried there. I personally think the $5 cheeseburgers at happy hour are pretty dang good. Only been a few times though. Big improvement over IHOP regardless.
YouBet
AG
My wife LOVES Hudson House. It's a weird menu to me and I cant seem to find anything I like.
752bro4
AG
Anyone been to Lupe Tortilla yet? Does it hold up to its Houston locations? I really wish we would have gotten an El Tiempo over Lupe, but still enjoyed Lupe when I ate there in 'Tine.
YouBet
AG
752bro4 said:

Anyone been to Lupe Tortilla yet? Does it hold up to its Houston locations? I really wish we would have gotten an El Tiempo over Lupe, but still enjoyed Lupe when I ate there in 'Tine.
Wut. Where?
Boat Shoes
AG
YouBet said:

752bro4 said:

Wut. Where?

Addison and Las Colinas.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Boat Shoes said:

YouBet said:

752bro4 said:

Wut. Where?

Addison and Las Colinas.

This is a Dallas food and beverage thread, thank you very much.
george07
AG
I've been to the Irving Lupe Tortilla. It seems on par with the Houston locations. Hopefully one day El Tiempo will make its way north!
TennAg
Boat Shoes said:

YouBet said:

752bro4 said:

Wut. Where?

Addison and Las Colinas.

And soon Allen.
752bro4
AG
Went to Lupe last night in Addison - very good, service was slow and felt like a few kinks to iron out. 20 minute wait for a table, but the restaurant was only about 2/3 full.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.