Metroplex
Sponsored by

Dallas Food & Beverage News

46,527 Views | 289 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by FTAco07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The burger is pretty good. Kind of a knock off of the au cheval burger.

I in general find his restaurants mutton dressed as lamb.
flown-the-coop
AG
As a long-time Lupe's supporter since the days in Katy then the one by Academy at 59/Kirby, I long awaited the arrival of Lupes here. Its up to bar, but the originals in the style of the old converted houses are the ones to go to. Its the classic one side wanted to franchise, one wanted to remain small and true. DFW ones and most outside of Houston are franchise. Same recipes, but the non-franchise just seem to put more care in the food.

I will say I think the new ones will get better over time. My guess like good fryer based eateries is that it takes some time to get the grills truly seasoned. One on Stafford near Highway 6 es steele de best.
chick79
AG
Went to Lupes in Addison last Friday. Underwhelming experience. Not bad but certainly nothing special IMO.
752bro4
AG
Tillman Feritta/Landry's acquired Del Frisco's.
GarlandAg2012
AG
752bro4 said:

Tillman Feritta/Landry's acquired Del Frisco's.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/25/tilman-fertittas-landrys-is-buying-del-friscos-steakhouse-chain.html

Wow that's a big move. I have been to the Double Eagle in Uptown twice and the Grille on McKinney a couple times and enjoyed my experiences. Have never been too impressed by a Landry's establishment.
752bro4
AG
Austin BBQ Hipster Aaron Franklin and Uchi Owner bringing Loro to Dallas

Quote:

Loro, the much-acclaimed Asian smokehouse collaboration between pitmaster Aaron Franklin and Uchi restaurateur Tyson Cole, is headed to Dallas.
The duo will open the new outpost of Loro at 1812 North Haskell Street. This marks Franklin's, whose Franklin Barbecue remains one of Austin's most popular dining destination with hours-long lines, first major foray outside of Austin. He opened the first outpost of Loro with Cole, who operates Uchi and Uchiba in Dallas, in 2018 to a great deal of fanfare. "Dallas has such a diverse food scene," Franklin said in a statement. "I'm excited to have Loro be a part of it!"
As far as the food is concerned, diners can look forward to Franklin's smoked meats in Dallas for the first time ever via dishes like oak-smoked beef brisket with chili gastrique and Thai herbs, or baby back Duroc pork ribs served with cauliflower pickles and green onion. More straightforward Asian dishes, like char siu pork belly and chicken karaage are also on the menu.
Loro is expected to make its debut in summer 2020. Stay tuned for an update.
double aught
AG
That sounds awesome.
rebag00
AG
The Grape will not be missed by me. I loved eating there in the aughts, but I tried the burger there after all the hype (admittedly my mistake) and it was barely cooked, cold center. I only ate about 1/4 of it and had to stop. The debilitating Food poisoning soon followed. I'll never eat a burger anywhere that I don't order it done. I'll send them back. Should have done it that night. I haven't eaten at The Grape in the 6 years since and I won't shed any tears over its closing.
YouBet
AG
For those interested, at one point a restaurant called The Heights down in Lakewood was serving the The Grape's burger. Either the person that opened that restaurant was former owner/chef at The Grape or something like that. Can't remember the connection.

Not sure if they still do that or not since we moved away a few years ago.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
I'm a restaurant moron, but why wouldn't The Grape owners sell it to somebody who might want to continue it, instead of simply closing it?
fav13andac1)c
AG
double aught said:

clobby said:

Rabbit Hole Brewing is closing
Surely we are in the midst of a brewery bubble. I can't imagine that all the ones that have popped up in recent years will survive.
I think most of the good ones will survive, with a few outliers. Rabbit Hole wasn't one of them.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Bob Loblaws Law Blog said:

I'm a restaurant moron, but why wouldn't The Grape owners sell it to somebody who might want to continue it, instead of simply closing it?

The article I read said essentially they were entertaining offers but they weren't sure they wanted the name to continue if they didn't have QC control. They have multiple other concepts still open in Dallas.
walton91
New Irish pub coming to Lake Highlands in January

Peter and Cheryl Kenny, who own The Dubliner on Greenville Avenue and Capitol Pub on Henderson Avenue, will open a third pub at the crossroads of Lake Highlands and Lochwood.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/10-10-19-capitol-pub-henderson-lochwood-lake-highlands-irish/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=dlvr.it
Kanyes psychiatrist
Boat Shoes said:

Kanyes psychiatrist said:

Guzen said:

Just got word yesterday that a third install of Hudson House is going at at Mockingbird and Abrams where the IHOP used to be! Lucky Lakewood!
Yay more frozen food dropped in the fryer or put on the flat top! Lucky Lakewood!

I'm genuinely interested in what you've tried there. I personally think the $5 cheeseburgers at happy hour are pretty dang good. Only been a few times though. Big improvement over IHOP regardless.
It certainly is an improvement over ihop but it's still mainly frozen food from Ben E Kieth/Sysco dressed up. I've had most of the menu. Fish is good but it's not hard to make good fish and plenty of other spots in Dallas are better. Hide makes a much better $5 burger and it's not straight from a frozen cardboard box.
walton91
Mudhen at the Dallas Farmers Market is closing

https://www.dallasnews.com/food/restaurant-news/2019/10/15/2-surprising-restaurant-closures-in-dallas-mudhen-and-olivellas/
tysker
AG
walton91 said:

New Irish pub coming to Lake Highlands in January

Peter and Cheryl Kenny, who own The Dubliner on Greenville Avenue and Capitol Pub on Henderson Avenue, will open a third pub at the crossroads of Lake Highlands and Lochwood.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/10-10-19-capitol-pub-henderson-lochwood-lake-highlands-irish/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=dlvr.it

Not that much further than walking home from Go For It but crossing Plano could get a little sketchy
YouBet
AG
Has anyone read about what's being done at the old Legends Airlines parking garage on Lemmon? There has been a ton of work going on with it for a while...slowly. I've heard there is actually restaurant/retail being put in the bottom level of the garage.
dallasag_123
Does anyone have any insight on when Nick Badovinus new place Desert Racer going to open on Lower Greenville? I drive by everyday and it is seems like the longest build out in history.
Is there a surer bet in Dallas than an irish pub? I can't think of one that didn't make it 15+ years.

I remember when they tried a few concepts at what is now Blackfriar Pub on McKinney. At some point someone just said f-it and dropped in another Irish pub (even though idlerich was across the street).

Similar situation in the arts district where you had multiple restaurant failures (including a few really good ones) until Playright Pub opened.

Blackfriar, old monk, dubliner, trinity hall, capitol pub, playwright....

Idlerich of course closed but is being replaced with a high end condo development which is a heck of a lot higher valued land use than a bar.

GarlandAg2012
AG
dallasag_123 said:

Does anyone have any insight on when Nick Badovinus new place Desert Racer going to open on Lower Greenville? I drive by everyday and it is seems like the longest build out in history.
I've been reading about it for months, something must have set them way back because it was supposed to open in the spring I think.

https://www.dallasnews.com/food/2019/04/11/is-nick-badovinus-new-dallas-restaurant-opening-on-april-11-2019/

Then this summer...
https://lakewood.advocatemag.com/2018/09/14/nick-badovinus-desert-racer-haymaker-lower-greenville-dining/

Who knows.
Kanyes psychiatrist
dallasag_123 said:

It's beautiful inside and they are doing some incredible work. At this point though they are 4-5 months behind opening schedule so maybe an issue with the city. It's strange they aren't open yet.
TowerAg90
AG
Nope....the longest build-out (build-up) was Lupe's Tortilla at 2225 Connector Dr, in Dallas. Had an "Opening Soon" banner up for almost 3 years. BTW it is damned good but they must have run into some problems with permitting.
MW03
AG
I went to Lupe recently and thought it was pretty solid, but the new herreras Outpost in Addison is still better. Personally,. Stoked for the Shake Shack that is going in where La Mad was. I know, I know. But damnit if I don't freaking love those burgers, man.
FTAco07
AG
Nick always takes way longer to open his new restaurants than the initial date. Town Hearth was probably a year late to open as well.
Ervin Burrell
AG
MW03 said:

Stoked for the Shake Shack that is going in where La Mad was. I know, I know. But damnit if I don't freaking love those burgers, man.
The one at Belt Line/Montfort?
walton91
Capitol Pub on Henderson is closing
YouBet
AG
walton91 said:

Capitol Pub on Henderson is closing

Interesting.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Not that surprising to me. I've been on a couple weekend evenings for a quiet place to play darts...not usually a good sign for a large bar in expensive real estate.
MW03
AG
Ervin Burrell said:

MW03 said:

Stoked for the Shake Shack that is going in where La Mad was. I know, I know. But damnit if I don't freaking love those burgers, man.
The one at Belt Line/Montfort?

Yep
YouBet
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

Not that surprising to me. I've been on a couple weekend evenings for a quiet place to play darts...not usually a good sign for a large bar in expensive real estate.

Hmm, we go to Veritas and every time we go it's packed over there. Granted, it's been a few months so I guess popularity dropped off.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Skellig packs em in but Capitol Pub seems much less popular to me.
YouBet
AG
Actually, I'm thinking of Henderson Tap House next door to Veritas. That's a bummer about Capitol. I always liked that place.
RockOn
I'm going to be in town this weekend near Oak Lawn area. Any suggestions on a good, but not too crowded restaurant to grab dinner?
752bro4
AG
Depends on what you're in the mood for. I'd hop on opentable and grab a reservation soon. Friday nights in dallas for restaurants worth a damn fill up quick.

Beer/gastro:
Meddlesome moth

BBQ:
Slo bone or Ferris wheelers, stand in line at Pecan Lodge

Burgers:
Rodeo goat

Upscale:
Oak, or one of the many steakhouse in uptown, sit at the bar at Sachet or Homewood, or Uber to Honor Bar

Mexican:
Uber to any of these...E Bar, Pepe y Mitos, Mia's...don't eat at Mattitos unless you'd like some stomach issues

Sushi:
steel or Oishi (sp?)
Trajan88
AG
Anyone eaten at Salaryman (ramen) in Bishop Arts?

I attempted to go a few months ago, but It was open only for a private event.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.