Metroplex
Sponsored by

HEB in Bedford

17,247 Views | 140 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by tysker
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't even care if it's HEB...we need some grocery store there....the Kroger being the only grocery anywhere near is terrible.....

1. it's parking lot is a minefield - not unrelated to #2 on the list
2. it's full of blue hairs and power carts because of the old folks home - no offense but it makes it VERY slow going
3. they've been moving and rearranging everything for months now and it's still chaos in there
4. getting in and out of there anywhere near rush hour is a nightmare - Plano and NW Hwy backs up bad

the people are very very nice...i like the staff....but it's painful to go there.

i preferred the Minyard/Sun Fresh even though it was more expensive because it was generally half as busy or less.

Quinn
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

I don't even care if it's HEB...we need some grocery store there....the Kroger being the only grocery anywhere near is terrible.....

1. it's parking lot is a minefield - not unrelated to #2 on the list
2. it's full of blue hairs and power carts because of the old folks home - no offense but it makes it VERY slow going
3. they've been moving and rearranging everything for months now and it's still chaos in there
4. getting in and out of there anywhere near rush hour is a nightmare - Plano and NW Hwy backs up bad

the people are very very nice...i like the staff....but it's painful to go there.

i preferred the Minyard/Sun Fresh even though it was more expensive because it was generally half as busy or less.

Moved to the area this summer and that is all 100% accurate. Really not a fan of going there, but nothing else is all that close. I was really excited about Central Market coming in, so that sucks that it isn't going to happen.

Edit: went there tonight and there were 8 power carts waiting for the olds and the lolfats. Seems like an abnormally high number for a grocery store:
powerbelly
AG
Getting a central market within walking distance
Ol Jock 99
AG
Pretty bummed about the Ferndale news. A standard HEB would tear it up there. Not sure what grocery would move in there since all the majors have stores nearby.
FincAg
AG
Wife was running errands this morning and said there is a new sign in the construction pit at the NW corner of Ferndale and NW Highway.

Says "Starbucks Coming Soon"

It was the site of an old gas and inspection station. It had some remediation due to the gas tanks, but there looks to be some competition with White Rock Coffee in LH. I like WRC, so not dogging them at all.

Wonder what that means for the rest of the Ferndale/NW Highway redevelopment. I always feel like there's a Chipolte within the vicinity of Starbucks.

http://lakewood.advocatemag.com/2016/12/07/new-starbucks-white-rock-area/

http://lakewood.advocatemag.com/2016/06/17/starbucks-possibility-northwest-ferndale-depends-zoning-change/

http://lakehighlands.advocatemag.com/2015/05/plant-based-food-starbucks-rumors-add-to-buzz-surrounding-ferndale-northwest-retail/

aggielostinETX
AG
FincAg said:

Wife was running errands this morning and said there is a new sign in the construction pit at the NW corner of Ferndale and NW Highway.

It was the site of an old gas and inspection station. It had some remediation due to the gas tanks, but there looks to be some competition with White Rock Coffee in LH. I like WRC, so not dogging them at all.

Wonder what that means for the rest of the Ferndale/NW Highway redevelopment. I always feel like there's a Chipolte within the vicinity of Starbucks.
I think Starbucks is rolling the dice here. WRC people are fiercely loyal and Starbucks is already not far away.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
FincAg said:

yeah...i thought that was discussed...but I guess that was on my neighborhood Facebook group and Nextdoor *****fest.

Everyone is freaking out about the audacity of Starbucks to infringe on White Rock Coffee's territory.

LOL.

I could not care less I don't drink coffee....but WRC has it's devoted clientele and I think they like the local coffee shop vibe I don't think Starbucks is going to affect it much. I go there with my wife sometimes.

Plus you know - free enterprise, competition, capitalism....this is America right? Just don't get peole getting bent out of shape.

Overall though it should be a huge improvement over a vacant lot - NO?!?!?! And yeah perhaps help development in the area in general. the former convenience store across the street (next to Chase) is still vacant too. Here was a photo from my FB neighborhood group.

Quinn
AG
I think that's going to be a pain in the butt and be a potential traffic hazard in the mornings, depending on how they set up the drive thru. My wife is excited about having it there, though.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Deats said:

FincAg said:

I think Starbucks is rolling the dice here. WRC people are fiercely loyal and Starbucks is already not far away.

Actually I don't know of a starbucks anywhere near there????

Way up NW Hwy nearly to Greenville....
Or up Abrams around royal....
Or across LBJ east on NW Hwy.....
Or down on Buckner at Garland Rd.

I mean they are everywhere but thats a couple of miles in any direction. Unless there is one I don't know of. Seems like there has been a void and thats right in the middle - pretty smart location if you ask me.
FincAg
AG
Quote:

Strange as it sounds, the best way to boost sales at your independently owned coffeehouse may just be to have Starbucks move in next-door.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/hey_wait_a_minute/2007/12/dont_fear_starbucks.html

I agree Deats. That being said, maybe it won't be jam packed but still do decent business. My hopes are that if Starbucks is moving in, what other retail and food options might be willing to risk it in the adjacent spaces.
FincAg
AG
Quinn said:

I think that's going to be a pain in the butt and be a potential traffic hazard in the mornings, depending on how they set up the drive thru. My wife is excited about having it there, though.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG

WOW....that looks like entrance/exit only off NW Hwy side.....ugh.

No entry from Ferndale side which would be safer/slower access.

I'm really glad I don't drink coffee now.
FincAg
AG
Yeah, the amount of people parking at the dry cleaners and even Grace will increase. No way if you got in would you be able to get out if there was a line at the drive thru. We'll see.

What is ever going to happen to the building next to WRC? Might have been a Church's Chicken or something in an earlier life.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
FincAg said:

Yeah, the amount of people parking at the dry cleaners and even Grace will increase. No way if you got in would you be able to get out if there was a line at the drive thru. We'll see.

What is ever going to happen to the building next to WRC? Might have been a Church's Chicken or something in an earlier life.

Chipotle - like someone mentioned. Book it.

lol

Hey when is that Chick-Fil-A opening finally down on Garland Rd. near Bucker? Or did I miss it.
aggielostinETX
AG
By not far, I mean one in Tom Thumb, one in each direction on NW HWy and one down Garland Rd.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Ahhh...I found a target date of Jan. 17....that was back in June.

http://lakewood.advocatemag.com/2016/06/01/chick-fil-open-jan-15-garland-road/

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Deats said:

By not far, I mean one in Tom Thumb, one in each direction on NW HWy and one down Garland Rd.

Oh didn't know they were in Tom Thumbs....like I said I don't drink it...I also don't grocery shop if I can help it but when I do I only go to the closest one. Unfortunately its currently the Kroger "Zoo" on NW Hwy and Plano Rd.
aggielostinETX
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Deats said:

Oh didn't know they were in Tom Thumbs....like I said I don't drink it...I also don't grocery shop if I can help it but when I do I only go to the closest one. Unfortunately its currently the Kroger "Zoo" on NW Hwy and Plano Rd.
Amazon Fresh has kept me out of our two ****ty options for the last two months.
FincAg
AG
Zombie Jon Snow only eats brains, namely those no driving, no parking, SOBs that shop at Kroger. Lord have mercy on me when I have to go there and get anything. I normally park at Go 4 It just to avoid that cluster* of a parking lot.
Ol Jock 99
AG
If I can park the Beast there with no issues, you can park your whatever too.
FincAg
AG
The shaggin' wagon.

Wife hates it when I call it that.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Deats said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

Deats said:

should give that try..isn't there a fee though in addition to my Amazon Prime. Don't like that.

Also my wife seems to always need something "NOW".....not in 2-4 hours or whenever they would deliver.

aggielostinETX
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Deats said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

Deats said:

should give that try..isn't there a fee though in addition to my Amazon Prime. Don't like that.

Also my wife seems to always need something "NOW".....not in 2-4 hours or whenever they would deliver.

yes, $15 a month but we save that in time/gas and not buying **** we don't need perusing the store. Also, it's usually 12-24 hours for delivery but often we order at 6pm and it on the porch before 7am the next day. $40 minimum per order.
Ol Jock 99
AG
How is their veggie and meat quality? Prices?
aggielostinETX
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

How is their veggie and meat quality? Prices?
all good and they guarantee everything too... only thing I haven't tried yet is steaks.
Quinn
AG
FincAg said:

Quote:

Strange as it sounds, the best way to boost sales at your independently owned coffeehouse may just be to have Starbucks move in next-door.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/hey_wait_a_minute/2007/12/dont_fear_starbucks.html

I agree Deats. That being said, maybe it won't be jam packed but still do decent business. My hopes are that if Starbucks is moving in, what other retail and food options might be willing to risk it in the adjacent spaces.

After Starbucks being open for a couple months, business at WR Coffee has definitely slowed down in my anecdotal experience. Used to be a line 4-5 deep every single time I went, but a lot of times I can pull right up in the morning. A little worried about them, especially since they are sinking money into the building next door, too. Starbucks hasn't caused traffic to overflow onto NW Hwy, which I was worried about.
FincAg
AG
I am having to park and walk into WRC, on the occasions I go. Line at 8am was 5-6 cars deep this morning. From reading the Advocate's article, and speaking with the baristas, I think they are doing just fine. I was told, the are getting more repeat walk ins who want to support the local businesses and leave Starbucks to those just passing through on their commute.

That building was part protection and part expansion. They needed a place to train new staff that did not hinder service to customers, a place to brew coffee for their expanding commercial offerings, a meeting place for corporate clients, and to take control of the limited amount of space available in that small area.

With that adjacent lot under their control, they will have a larger and more accessible parking-entrance-exit than Starbucks. If only they could figure out how to set up their drive through in order so there are not two lines formed and merge to one.

Back to Starbucks, driving home at 9:30-10pm sometimes there are a dozen cars, with half the people sitting in their cars, in their parking lot. I assume it's a popular place for Uber drivers to congregate. Compare that to the 3 or 4 over at WRC.

My hope is that with the addition of Starbucks the commercial space where Antioch and the roller rink were becomes a bit more attractive. How about the "Good" guys who turned around Peavy and 78 (Goodfriend Package, Cultivar Coffee, Goodfriend Beer Garden and Burger House, 20 Feet Below)?

Any of you real estate people hear anything about the old Sunfresh since HEB decided to sit on the property?
Quinn
AG
Gotcha, and yeah, that makes sense RE: them buying the building. Maybe I'm leaving for work earlier than I was a few months ago (700-715 rather than 730), but I don't see the same lines. Parking lot does seem full, though.
FincAg
AG
I like their coffee because it tastes like coffee and not high octane brown water. Plus it's not always the same thing day in and day out.
tysker
AG
Quote:

My hope is that with the addition of Starbucks the commercial space where Antioch and the roller rink were becomes a bit more attractive.
The Antioch building is already sold to a developer who is building apartments. IIRC, the White Rock Skate land/building, while sold, was not part of the apartment development as it would increase the number of dwellings over regulatory thresholds.
FincAg
AG
Aw man

http://lakehighlands.advocatemag.com/2017/02/235-unit-apartment-community-coming-shoreview-ferndale-yes-done-deal/
Quinn
AG
Oh good, more apartments and fewer places to eat/shop.
FincAg
AG
$1.6 a sq/ft he says is the average rent. Is that high? I think I paid $1.1 in Raleigh and $1.5 for a 1950's little townhome over near Love Field before moving here.

$1,600 for a 1,000 sqft 2/2 brand new. Seems reasonable and not an upscale resi/commercial establishment. Like a Cameron Village with their apartments.
tysker
AG
My wife attended that meeting and the developers are targeting young adults that generally want access to the lake and proximity to downtown and 635 without downtown prices. Kind of similar to the Parc apartments on NWH next to the White Rock Dart station. They arent expecting many residents with children. Most of the attendees didn't seem to happy about it but it was already a done deal.
FincAg
AG
Well for everyone's sake I hope their target audience shows up. I guess a high influx of people to that immediate area would entice someone to do something with the old Sunfresh.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.