Metroplex
Sponsored by

HEB in Bedford

17,251 Views | 140 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by tysker
powerbelly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
A lot of HEB chest bumping and selective memory in this thread. I live near one of the biggest ones in Texas off Bunker Hill and I-10 in Houston and their prices/service/selection are no better than any high-end Kroger. A lot of y'all are going to be disappointed with God's gift to grocery stores....
The reason people like HEB is because there is much less variation than in Kroger stores.

Sure, a high end Kroger and HEB are similar, but a regular Kroger is not near the quality of HEB.

Also, HEB has some of the best own brands going.
realestateguru
AG
quote:
A lot of HEB chest bumping and selective memory in this thread (but they have Whataburger ketchup and True Texas BBQ!!) . I live near one of the biggest ones in Texas off Bunker Hill and I-10 in Houston and their prices/service/selection are no better than any high-end Kroger. A lot of y'all are going to be disappointed with God's gift to grocery stores....you can't offer better product and lower prices when you have higher real-estate and distribution costs compared to your competition unless you're willing to lose money.
Good synopsis. Thanks for the contribution.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
I really think most grocery store talk is .....odd to say the least.

You know what grocery store I like and pretty much always shop at.....the one that is closest to my house.

Now when money is/was tight we made a little extra effort to go to a Walmart for a weekly big trip saving more when we stocked up for the week. And I tried to do it when it wasn't going to be a zoo.

But even then on a midweek trip for a few items - I would go to the nearest place. And now I routinely just go to the nearest place - it is twice as far to any other place and 3x as far to Wally World so I just go there.

I don't care about store brands. I don't care about presentation or the look of the place. I don't care about pre made meals/food. We buy fresh food items and basic cooking ingredients and cook pretty much everything from scratch.

The only exception is we have a few items that are only at our Kroger (closest) or only at our Albertsons(now Sun Fresh, about to be HEB I guess) and we go there for those specifically. But thats like 2-3 things we cannot get at the other.

I find allegiance to grocery stores bizarre.
ToddyHill
AG
I think you're missing a couple of metrics that swing in HEB's favor....their sales per square foot are greater than their competition. Also, I strongly suspect their productivity per person is high.

Regardless, I believe HEB can realistically achieve in DFW what they did in Houston beginning in the early 90's: enter a new market and become the number one grocery retailer in that area within 25 years.
TheWoodsAg
AG
quote:
Regardless, I believe HEB can realistically achieve in DFW what they did in Houston beginning in the early 90's: enter a new market and become the number one grocery retailer in that area within 25 years.

Using what metric? Sales/sqft? Growth? Shareholder Return?
TexasAggie008
AG
Woodsag is dead wrong

Like someone saying Burger King is just as good as whataburger
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
We buy fresh food items and basic cooking ingredients and cook pretty much everything from scratch.
quote:
I find this "bizarre". All "fresh food" is not created equal.
aggielostinETX
AG
quote:
quote:
We buy fresh food items and basic cooking ingredients and cook pretty much everything from scratch.
quote:
exactly... meat and produce are huge swings. A good butcher who will cut/order/prep what I ask? worth allegiance.
Yesterday
AG
quote:
I really think most grocery store talk is .....odd to say the least.

You know what grocery store I like and pretty much always shop at.....the one that is closest to my house.

Now when money is/was tight we made a little extra effort to go to a Walmart for a weekly big trip saving more when we stocked up for the week. And I tried to do it when it wasn't going to be a zoo.

But even then on a midweek trip for a few items - I would go to the nearest place. And now I routinely just go to the nearest place - it is twice as far to any other place and 3x as far to Wally World so I just go there.

I don't care about store brands. I don't care about presentation or the look of the place. I don't care about pre made meals/food. We buy fresh food items and basic cooking ingredients and cook pretty much everything from scratch.

The only exception is we have a few items that are only at our Kroger (closest) or only at our Albertsons(now Sun Fresh, about to be HEB I guess) and we go there for those specifically. But thats like 2-3 things we cannot get at the other.

You should have seen the cat fighting on my neighborhood "next door" forum about the whole foods that was supposed to open at the corner of 161 and McArthur. Apparently the opening has been pushed back a year and you have people threatening to sue because they don't want to drive to Southlake. Meanwhile we have one of the best Krogers in the state a mere 300 yards away.
TexasAggie008
AG
The key difference is that fish/beef/chicken at Kroger and Tom Thumb (for instance, salmon from behind the counter, and seasoned chicken/kbobs, etc) is pretty much crap compared to that you can get at Whole Foods or Central Market. At HEB, that isn't the case. And in many cases they have a wider array of types (3-4 different kinds of pre-seasoned salmon filets, random stuffed chicken or salmon variations)...As it is now, I pretty much buy those kinds of things at CM/WF, and do the rest at Kroger. With HEB I generally could do it all in one place.

They also blow it away if you want local beer/wine....salsa..."Texas" brands of things sort of like CM focuses on...the only legit complaint I hear about HEB, and its valid, is that they are generally packed compared to the other places (remember the crappy Albertsons in CS that had no one in it, and the always packed HEB?). But, its for a reason.
AirplaneAg09
AG
Just think of it this way...This is now a 3 page, 80 post thread about the possibility of HEB stores coming to the Metroplex. Whether or not you think HEB is hot stuff compared to Kroger, Tom Thumb, etc., it definitely moves the needle for a lot of people who only have the option once they get south of Alvarado.

As for me, the hot rumor is that HEB owns a land parcel at the edge of Flower Mound/Denton and I hope to hell that this means a store is coming soon.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
exactly... meat and produce are huge swings. A good butcher who will cut/order/prep what I ask? worth allegiance.
well perhaps i'll be pleasantly surprised then when HEB gets here (cuz like i said a while back or another thread, the only HEB's I've ever been to in south texas small towns were dumps).....

i've lived in about 9 places around the metroplex and shopped at about 25 different grocery stores over the years from every single chain we have had around here.....

and i couldn't tell much of a difference between any of them from a fresh food perspective (except Walmart - I go there primarily for bulk/dry goods). they all have times of good supplies and bad supplies. if food doesn't look fresh or there is just a bad batch of strawberries or bananas or the meat doesn't look particularly fresh i just don't buy it then. typically those are very short term issues and like i said i haven't noticed any one place better than another over time. (edit - come to think of it, there was one bad one. Food Lion was a dump).

i look forward to seeing a huge difference then that makes me go "wow" and worth the extra drive.
FincAg
AG
The Sun Fresh the corner of NW Highway and Ferndale is trash. Weak beer, vegetable, meat selections and at much higher prices. My wife and I were wondering how soon they would have to shutter their doors because no one is ever in there. We occasionally do, for the last minute items because it is so incredibly close, but we do most our shopping at Kroger, Target, Walmart and the Tom Thumb.

The HEB will be a game changer in that huge location. We look forward to having many of fajita nights.
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
well perhaps i'll be pleasantly surprised then when HEB gets here (cuz like i said a while back or another thread, the only HEB's I've ever been to in south texas small towns were dumps).....
I think you definitely will be. I recently graduated from McCombs business school and we did a case study in one of our classes on how HEB is the only company in the state (if not the country) that can currently go next door to a super Walmart with one of their Plus stores and kick their ass. They are a very well-run company. Those small older stores aren't really what I've been talking about either. Their newer stores in large towns are what all the hype is about.
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
EVERY Sun Fresh is trash.
FIFY

I work in CRE and I don't think anyone in the industry thought it was going to be successful when the concept was announced a couple years ago. DFW is one of the most competitive grocery markets in the world, even without HEB, so they were complete morons to think they could be successful here.
Quinn
AG
aggielostinETX
AG
quote:

full context, it looks like they are deciding between CM or HEB for each spot.
agcrock2005
AG
My boss and I were discussing this yesterday. Based off these locations and the size of each, we were thinking most, if not all, would be CM. They are smaller stores than the new HEB's and the demographics in these areas are good, which would lead you to believe CM would be the better choice.. HEB will probably want to enter the market in locations with their larger concept also. Just a guess though. Nobody really knows.
Quinn
AG
realestateguru
AG
quote:
quote:
I think you definitely will be. I recently graduated from McCombs business school and we did a case study in one of our classes on how HEB is the only company in the state (if not the country) that can currently go next door to a super Walmart with one of their Plus stores and kick their ass. They are a very well-run company. Those small older stores aren't really what I've been talking about either. Their newer stores in large towns are what all the hype is about.
Congrats on the graduation. Kick Walmart's ass? I want to see that study.
realestateguru
AG
quote:

Oh well the debate will continue!
TexasAggie008
AG
Well, Uptown already has a Whole Foods...and 0 grocery stores....so bring on HEB
The Pilot
AG
They are building a Tom Thumb at Akard and Cedar Springs
TexasAggie008
AG
Meh, still..That location is on the fringes, this one is right in the middle of uptown. An HEB or even a CM would kill it there.
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
You may be real estate guru but not so much grocery guru if you think an HEB Plus wouldn't kick Walmart Supercenter in the nuts in the right submarkets.

You've been anti-HEB this whole thread. I know you probably don't really want to know the answers on why they can compete and win in many instances, but here's a few articles:

Who will win the grocery war

The smartest grocer you've never heard of - Forbes

Grocery war: Rivals H-E-B and Walmart battle for turf and shoppers in the region

Boat Shoes
AG
Would HEB really open another Central Market at Mockingbird and Abrahms with the one on Lovers 2 miles away? A smaller HEB made total sense to me but that density of CMs would be hard to imagine. The demographics of that neighborhood would definitely be in their favor though. A lot of young families with disposable income in Lakewood / M Streets.
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
Would HEB really open another Central Market at Mockingbird and Abrahms with the one on Lovers 2 miles away? A smaller HEB made total sense to me but that density of CMs would be hard to imagine. The demographics of that neighborhood would definitely be in their favor though. A lot of young families with disposable income in Lakewood / M Streets.
That's pretty close to have two stores. Probably got a heck of a deal on good piece of real estate since it was a portfolio deal. Who knows. Now they know a competitor can't go there though.
Boat Shoes
AG
That's what I was thinking. Good for them, sucks for those of us in the neighborhood.
realestateguru
AG
quote:
quote:
You may be real estate guru but not so much grocery guru if you think an HEB Plus wouldn't kick Walmart Supercenter in the nuts in the right submarkets.

You've been anti-HEB this whole thread. I know you probably don't really want to know the answers on why they can compete and win in many instances, but here's a few articles:

Who will win the grocery war

The smartest grocer you've never heard of - Forbes

Grocery war: Rivals H-E-B and Walmart battle for turf and shoppers in the region

Relax young man. Not a grocery guru hence the questions and the fascination everyone has about HEB. Never been in one but do like CM.

No I haven't. Again have questions regarding HEB. .

Your links referred to the grocery battle in SA. I assume HEB does great down there. My curiosity is how they would do in the DFW market since this is the Metroplex board.
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
Never been in one but do like CM.
I'm shocked
quote:
Your links referred to the grocery battle in SA. I assume HEB does great down there.
Second article is about HEB and their differentiating qualities, not about them battling with Walmart in SA.
Southlake Ag
AG
HEB might not even open new stores in all of the 6 new locations. They bought the old Alberstons in College Station only to close it and keep it closed. It's nice to be a private company and not have to worry about shareholders. They do have at least 20 parcels of land in DFW that they probably will eventually build on. They hired a friend of mine recently in DFW to be their PR/ Marketing spokesman in DFW.
FincAg
AG
Looks like only two of the locations will be Central Markets and the others will be sold off.

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/retail/2016/11/29/h-e-b-will-open-two-central-market-stores-dallas

Quote:

The Lakewood store at Mockingbird Lane and Abrams Road has been sold to Lincoln Properties, she said. "Plans for the remaining three stores are still under evaluation, however, these will likely be sold or leased to other retail tenants."

So the NW Highway and Ferndale will be on the sale block. That intersection is going to get some action now that the roller rink and Antioch church are leaving the NW corner and now the NE corner is open.

Quote:

-- McKinney - Hardin Boulevard and El Dorado Parkway (to be sold or leased)
-- Grapevine - State Highway 121 and Hall Johnson Road (to be sold or leased)
-- Dallas - McKinney Avenue and Lemmon Avenue (Becoming a Central Market, no date)
-- Dallas - Northwest Highway and Midway Road (Becoming a Central Market, fall 2017 opening)
-- Dallas - Northwest Highway and Ferndale Road (to be sold or leased)
-- Dallas - Mockingbird Lane and Abrams Road (Sold to Dallas-based Lincoln Property Co.)
harge57
AG
Well crud.
realestateguru
AG
I guess we will see agcrock tears
Bird93
AG
You guys still go to the grocery store?

Shipt Rocks

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.