Austin
Sponsored by

stay safe out there!

12,086 Views | 209 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Aggietaco
Charpie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He really needs to read the room
AG
BurnetAggie99
Mayor and council looking for a scapegoat or scapegoats
Complete Idiot
BurnetAggie99 said:

I live in PEC territory, not Austin Energy, but yes that reads like "I, the Mayor of the city, and the City Council are powerless when it comes to the city Utility department. Therefore we put all blame on the City Manager".

Meanwhile mayor and city council touted slashing $42.5 million from utility budget back the same year the city manager was hired. https://www.kxan.com/news/austin-energy-rates-cut-budget-slashed-for-2017/

What do AE customers feel led to this - lack of preventative maintenance or not enough staff to quickly recover power? Both PEC and ONCOR had massive number of outages too, but as a percentage of total customers it looked like lesser impact to users and by end of yesterday 99% of customers had power back.
Aston 91
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

The buck has to stop somewhere, and in this case I think I'm okay with it stopping at our $388,000/year city manager.
AG
Apologies if this was already posted but interesting article on how we got here:

Post 2007 - Neighborhood Associations and wealthy individuals pushed for legislation that made it much more difficult for the utility companies to trim trees as needed so their properties would look good.

2019 - AE advises they will no longer follow those tree trimming guidelines but it will take years to catch up to where we were before.

Other factors - A&M forest service rep saying trees may have been weaker due to recent weather patterns which contributed to this mess.

https://www.kut.org/energy-environment/2023-02-03/why-did-this-ice-storm-cause-so-many-power-outages-in-austin
MarathonAg12
From my ring camera

I feel for these people
Charpie
AG
You live in my hood?
MarathonAg12
Closer than you think!

Actually I have no idea, but if we're getting the same ring reports than I guess haha
Charpie
AG
I'm closer to the reporter here
MarathonAg12
Oh wow! Yep.

Hope people get their power back on

Getting ridiculous
Wahoo82
AG
Aston 91 said:

BurnetAggie99 said:

The buck has to stop somewhere, and in this case I think I'm okay with it stopping at our $388,000/year city manager.
What about the CEO of Austin Energy? Seems more culpable than the CM. And Council is the primary party to blame. They set policy and rates for AE. But you do you.
MarathonAg12
Wahoo82 said:

Aston 91 said:

BurnetAggie99 said:

What about the CEO of Austin Energy? Seems more culpable than the CM. And Council is the primary party to blame. They set policy and rates for AE. But you do you.

CEO makes $418,000 a year

Hopefully he is earning it
Potcake
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

Wahoo82 said:

Aston 91 said:

BurnetAggie99 said:

Hopefully she is earning it

She's been out front on every press conference while Watson deflects and council hides.
BurnetAggie99
What this address. Also if they can get me a pole number off a pole on their property or next door. The pole tags are yellow background with black letters. I will see if a ticket work order has been assigned if not I will make one. When I make a ticket work order it automatically assigns to a crew
MarathonAg12
I can look

Thanks brother
BurnetAggie99
Also we have guys in trucks that are inspectors trying to ride out the lines/or walking the lines in back lots doing adamage assessment. They are tracking what they see to get ahead of the crews.
Potcake
AG
78757 checking in on Day 7. We're in the lead with 1,767.
Wahoo82
AG
Potcake said:

MarathonAg12 said:

Wahoo82 said:

Aston 91 said:

BurnetAggie99 said:

Hopefully she is earning it

She's been out front on every press conference while Watson deflects and council hides.
Not trying to be argumentative, but the answer to me is if she had AE on a proactive tree trimming program before the ice storm, there probably would not have been a need for a press conference.

In my mind, and based on the GMs of most utilities I have worked with over the years, they are paid to be proactive, not reactive.
Potcake
AG
Back in the game!
MarathonAg12
Potcake said:

Back in the game!
Does Austin Energy reimburse you for the food in the freezer and fridge?
SteveBott
AG
Probably not AE. Insurance will after deductible.
KT 90
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

Potcake said:

Back in the game!

I heard on the news that it is possible, but it would come from disaster relief funds that Austin and Travis county are applying for. Maybe Austin Energy has some options there as well, but I did not hear that mentioned.

No clue how one would go about trying to prove that they lost food and an associated dollar amount to go along with that.
SteveBott
AG
When had a claim from the tornado the food loss was honor system. You estimated the loss and if reasonable by the adjuster they paid.
MarathonAg12
KT 90 said:

MarathonAg12 said:

Potcake said:

Back in the game!

I heard on the news that it is possible, but it would come from disaster relief funds that Austin and Travis county are applying for. Maybe Austin Energy has some options there as well, but I did not hear that mentioned.

No clue how one would go about trying to prove that they lost food and an associated dollar amount to go along with that.

My fridge was filled with 400 pounds of lobster and wagyu
SteveBott
AG
I said 'if deemed reasonable'.
Potcake
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

Potcake said:

Back in the game!

Meh, ate most everything before it went bad. I'm just happy to have electricity. Not every calamity requires free stuff. Thanks AE.
MarathonAg12
Sir this is Austin
BurnetAggie99
There will be an opportunity to make some claims. When I know the exact steps you I'll share it
BurnetAggie99
Just some more BS we keep dealing with trying to restore power. Heat it up and primary burns down and the trees in areas council would not let us trim continues to make us do more work and slow us down.

BurnetAggie99

BurnetAggie99
MarathonAg12 DM your address I'm going to personally come get with you tomorrow
Hodor
AG
The tree trimming issue blows my mind.
I've never seen anywhere else where trees are allowed to grow into the power lines. People plant trees under lines and then don't like that they have to be trimmed.

I hope someone over there is feeding info to news outlets so that the proper people catch flak for this.
XXXVII
If you call 311, will they come get your fallen tree branches? I have a huge pile on my curb.
DeSantis 2024

FJB, FJB, FJB, etc
Aggietaco
AG
https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/austin-area-cities-offering-tree-limb-brush-collections-post-storm/

I haven't had to figure it out since all of my trees were OK and our hood was also scheduled for large brush collection this week or next.

ETA - if you want them gone quick, offer some cash to one of the tree trimming companies when they are at your neighbors.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.