Austin
Sponsored by

Two Package Explosions Are Related

21,489 Views | 282 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Aggie09Derek
AggieOO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have met many, and no, I'm not home schooled.
Federale01
AG
Complete Idiot said:

I live out in Cedar park - was wondering when the NW area of austin might get hit since he appeared he was spreading them out.

8:50 a.m. update: A law enforcement official told the American-Statesman that investigators accessing Austin bombing suspect Mark Conditt's Google search history found that he had been looking up other addresses in Austin and the surrounding area.
Late Tuesday, Texas Department of Public Safety troopers were dispatched to two homes in the Cedar Park area to check the front porch and to notify residents that they may be in danger.
I wonder why he was looking at specific address. If you wanted to randomly place a bomb in a neighborhood, you wouldn't specifically google an address. You could just pull up google maps and find a general area and pick a house while driving around. It makes me think he had specific reasons for the locations.
tamusc
AG
Federale01 said:

Complete Idiot said:

I live out in Cedar park - was wondering when the NW area of austin might get hit since he appeared he was spreading them out.

8:50 a.m. update: A law enforcement official told the American-Statesman that investigators accessing Austin bombing suspect Mark Conditt's Google search history found that he had been looking up other addresses in Austin and the surrounding area.
Late Tuesday, Texas Department of Public Safety troopers were dispatched to two homes in the Cedar Park area to check the front porch and to notify residents that they may be in danger.
I wonder why he was looking at specific address. If you wanted to randomly place a bomb in a neighborhood, you would specifically google an address. You could just pull up google maps and find a general area. It makes me think he was looking for specific attributes for the locations.
Or he was looking up addresses to ship them to via FedEx.
KT 90
AG
Has there been any followup on the "unrelated" blast last night at the Goodwill on Brodie and Slaughter? I know it was a different type of device, but that is a pretty big coincidence for that to happen at the same time as all of the other chaos.

PJYoung
AG
KT 90 said:

Has there been any followup on the "unrelated" blast last night at the Goodwill on Brodie and Slaughter? I know it was a different type of device, but that is a pretty big coincidence for that to happen at the same time as all of the other chaos.

No followup but it was dropped off with some military stuff and police seemed to chalk it up to an accident.
AggieStout
AG
In the reddit post the guy talks about being real religious and reading the Bible. Seems to match up some with what his friend was saying
tamusc
AG
PJYoung said:

KT 90 said:

No followup but it was dropped off with some military stuff and police seemed to chalk it up to an accident.
Yep, sounds like pure coincidence because they mentioned reaching out to them (APD) regarding how to properly dispose of those types of military memorabilia during the press conference last night.
agfan1030
AggieStout said:

In the reddit post the guy talks about being real religious and reading the Bible. Seems to match up some with what his friend was saying
I was curious about that, too. If I remember he talked about being around religion or having someone close discussing religion with him. Whoever "that guy" on Reddit was he sounded pretty intelligent.
tailgatetimer10
AG
Appears there's a video he left behind as well.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/austin-bomber-recording_us_5ab2e8e6e4b008c9e5f3ed17?ldl
tailgatetimer10
AG
A pretty detailed of the layout of how they found the suspect, as expected the FBI may have identified him up to a week ago:

http://www.kxan.com/news/investigations/atf-had-surveillance-video-of-austin-bomber-more-than-a-week-ago/1067015087
PJYoung
AG
Well I guess we're training the next serial bomber to not use credit cards, buy a burner phone and maybe buy his supplies a couple of states away from his bombing spree.
tailgatetimer10
AG
I would think that would be common knowledge if you were smart enough and actually wanting to be discrete. Got to remember that this is the information they are sharing with the public, who knows what else they have.
PJYoung
AG
True
Federale01
AG
It's hard to keep facts like that out of the media. Authorities have to put the facts which give them probable cause in search and arrest warrant affidavits. While those may be sealed for a while, once the subject is arrested or dead, they are usually made public.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I saw somewhere that the first bomb was supposed to go to the house next door, a drug dealer or something. Anyone else heard that?

I also heard a report that a witness said the explosion that killed him sounded more like 2 grenades exploding rather than a bomb.
Complete Idiot
cpsencik04 said:

I saw somewhere that the first bomb was supposed to go to the house next door, a drug dealer or something. Anyone else heard that?

I also heard a report that a witness said the explosion that killed him sounded more like 2 grenades exploding rather than a bomb.
First item was a theory and proved false long ago.

Does the witness know what a package bomb of the type this guy built is supposed to sound like, or does he have a high degree of grenade experience?
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
exactly what i asked when i heard it....i was told by a former marine, that the witness was a veteran and well aware of the sound of a grenade...

I just hadnt heard that elsewhere so i figured it was false.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

A pretty detailed of the layout of how they found the suspect, as expected the FBI may have identified him up to a week ago:

http://www.kxan.com/news/investigations/atf-had-surveillance-video-of-austin-bomber-more-than-a-week-ago/1067015087
I like how the title makes it out that they had surveillance but just sat on it for a week knowing it was probably him....but in the clip it says they weren't able to confirm until they got the Fed Ex footage to compare it to.
tailgatetimer10
AG
I think they had a good idea of select people, however needed a valid confirmation to get a full warrant.

Or at least that's what they are saying now.

In my opinion, I'm sure they did common cell phones in the area of the 3 explosions which likely narrowed it down to a certain amount of potential suspects. It's like carrying a personal tracker.

He did set 6 bombs within a 3 week time frame, and one of those weeks APD wrote it off at drug incident
Complete Idiot
https://www.statesman.com/news/crime--law/austin-bombing-suspect-recording-wish-were-sorry-but-not/ymCRWQQSGfwSeqsKbye2xJ/

The man who killed two people and wounded five others with a series of bomb attacks in the Austin area left an audio recording for police that includes a haunting revelation about himself.
"I wish I were sorry but I am not," Mark Conditt said in the cell phone recording, according to sources familiar with his statements. He described himself as a "psychopath" and said he feels as though he has been disturbed since childhood.
Conditt also promised that he would go inside a crowded McDonald's to blow himself up if he thought authorities were closing in on him, according to law enforcement sources briefed on the contents of the audio. The sources declined to be identified because they are not authorized to speak about the recording, which police are using as evidence in the case.
Interim Police Chief Brian Manley confirmed the existence of the audio in a news conference Wednesday, but provided limited details about its specifics. He called it a "confession."
Police say Conditt, 23, detonated a bomb inside his car as officers closed in on him along Interstate 35. He had a laptop computer with him that was destroyed in the blast, but officials say they think it may have contained other recordings.
According to the sources, he began his 28-minute statement, which was recorded after 9 p.m. on Tuesday, saying "it's me again" and blamed himself for helping investigators find him by going into a FedEx store on Brodie Lane in Sunset Valley to mail two explosive devices, one of which blew up at a transfer facility in Schertz.
That decision, Conditt realized, allowed him to be captured on video cameras inside the store and for outside cameras to snap photographs of his license plate, which authorities used to learn his identity.

Conditt also acknowledged that he recognized his actions left family members without loved ones, and caused permanent injuries to other victims, including an elderly woman, but said little else about them.
The sources also repeated what Manley said at the news conference: That Conditt gave no hint about how or why he chose the targets of the bomb attacks.
tailgatetimer10
AG
I'm glad this jackass is dead and not using up any type of resource.

However there's a part of me that wishes they caught him alive because it appears that would've been way more miserable for him. Especially considering he would've likely been stuck in solitary.
Aust Ag
AG
So senseless...young guy, with life in front of him, but seemingly no agenda. What an idiot.
Harkrider 93
AG
AggieOO said:

tamc91 said:

I work about a mile from that FedEx store front. It is a fairly normal suburb area (in Austin area at least). That guy should have stood out. Who wears gloves and a t-shirt?

People who do manual labor. Landscapers, movers, etc
Nope - not latex gloves.

Also, rarely do work glove folks wear them into stores. Look at people's hands next time you are in Home Depot.
BowSowy
AG
Why are y'all still arguing about this? Yes, hindsight says that FedEx employee should've alerted authorities but that's very easy to say in hindsight.
TheVarian
AG
Agreed. And if you've ever worked a day job where you see hundreds/thousands of folks, it doesn't surprise you when crazy sheet comes through the door. Especially Austin
trouble
AG
Crazy germaphobe people wear them too. People are weird and the longer you work with the public, the less you notice individual weirdness.
AggieOO
Harkrider 93 said:

AggieOO said:

tamc91 said:

I work about a mile from that FedEx store front. It is a fairly normal suburb area (in Austin area at least). That guy should have stood out. Who wears gloves and a t-shirt?

People who do manual labor. Landscapers, movers, etc
Nope - not latex gloves.

Also, rarely do work glove folks wear them into stores. Look at people's hands next time you are in Home Depot.

Actually, I know a guy who wears latex gloves when he gardens, and tends to leave them on for a while even after he is done or while taking a break. Do I think it's weird, yes. But read the two posts above mine for more insight.
PJYoung
AG
They weren't latex gloves - they were work gloves. We bought a couple pair of those brightly colored gloves at Home Depot a few months ago. It was all they had to choose from.
Harkrider 93
AG
so nitrile glove? they are disposable gloves, right?
Harkrider 93
AG
so do I when working on vehicles, but I don't keep them on when I am done doing the chore I am using it for - as does 99.9999% of the population
PJYoung
AG
Harkrider 93 said:

so nitrile glove? they are disposable gloves, right?

and... never mind. Looking them up I realized we bought ours from Lowes, not Home Depot.

Doing an online search I don't see pink gloves like Conditt used at HD.

Harkrider 93
AG
me either, but they do look latex like - also, that is what they are reporting -
AggieOO
Harkrider 93 said:

so do I when working on vehicles, but I don't keep them on when I am done doing the chore I am using it for - as does 99.9999% of the population

Read trouble's last post for my reply to this.
BadMoonRisin
AG
holy **** this ******* lived like 2 miles from me.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Im also wondering if his family had any idea. This wasnt a kid that flipped out one day and shot up a school or something. This happened over a period of almost 3 weeks. Was he reclusive? Did he go about his everyday life, except for building bombs on the weekends and dropping them off?

They lived in close proximity. I wonder if they saw unusual behavior and tried to get him help or if they were completely in the dark.

He had two younger sisters and a fairly decent upbringing it sounds like.

We havent heard anything from the family like you usually do when things like this occur.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.