Austin
Sponsored by

Two Package Explosions Are Related

21,431 Views | 282 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Aggie09Derek
tailgatetimer10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Surprised to not see this conversation started. Apparently a package bomb went off 10 days ago and killed a man. Well this morning a second one killed a teenager at around 6 am.

Keep safe, everyone.

http://kxan.com/2018/03/12/one-dead-one-hurt-in-package-explosion-in-east-austin/
redsquirrelAG
AG
Notes say both packages left over night. Stay alert Ags.
El_Guero512
Third one off Galindo St now
PJYoung
AG
tailgatetimer10
AG
A third one is now being reported

https://www.statesman.com/news/breaking-news/breaking-second-explosion-reported-east-austin/2Fhi7i7aSmWoMBS5HHbfeO/
cityagboy
AG
What the hell is wrong with people.

I understand that some violence will always be in the world, but random acts of violence are just beyond my comprehension.

SteveBott
AG
Packages dropped off on their porch. Hopefully someone has video
El_Guero512
They are reporting race may be a factor all three bombs targeted black people.
tailgatetimer10
AG
That's what the news is reporting. All from a question asked after the second one.

Media: "Do you believe race is a factor in these bombings?"
Police: "we are not ruling anything out, however these two incidents did involve African American victims"

Let's let this play out before we make these assumptions.

Unless I missed an updated report...
cityagboy
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

That's what the news is reporting. All from a question asked after the second one.

Police: "we are not ruling anything out, however these two incidents did involve African American victims"

I don't think anyone is saying that is the motive. It is fair to say that may be the motive.
oldarmy1
AG
tailgatetimer10
AG
ChiTownsFinest84 said:

They are reporting race may be a factor all three bombs targeted black people.

The third victim is confirmed as Hispanic..
tailgatetimer10
AG
They are saying that the packages are exploding upon being moved, can't confirm a trigger though.
cityagboy
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

They are saying that the packages are exploding upon being moved, can't confirm a trigger though.
Some people suck so bad. Hope they catch this sick human quick.
El_Guero512
cityagboy said:

tailgatetimer10 said:

I don't think anyone is saying that is the motive. It is fair to say that may be the motive.
Agree but now with the third person being elderly hispanic woman whole different motives now. I hope they catch the sob.
tailgatetimer10
AG
I do find it interesting that all of these so far have been east of i35, however. Doubt it means anything though

BQ78
AG
Wasn't the first one NW Austin?
Greatness
AG
oldarmy1 said:

nice twitter profile, sounds like a guy with his head on straight
cityagboy
AG
BQ78 said:

NE, East and SE
fig96
AG
BQ78 said:

Nope, NE, little south of Pflugerville.
SteveBott
AG
Security for SXSW has to be puckered right now.
PJYoung
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

I do find it interesting that all of these so far have been east of i35, however. Doubt it means anything though

Less home security cameras?
SteveBott
AG
What I'm thinking
Aust Ag
AG
Could it be that these homes are just less likely to have "home surveillance" systems like many of us, or in many more upscale areas? If they were to do this in Lakeway or Steiner, there would be a high likelihood of video, for example.
rather be fishing
AG
My initial thought was gang related.
BrazosBendHorn
APD apparently thought at first that the first victim was the perpetrator (blown up by his own device) ... they didn't classify House's death as a homicide until 3/12/18.
Quote:

Although any kind of bombing is unheard of in this low-crime city, police did not initially treat the March 2 incident as a homicide. Instead, they cast suspicion on the victim, a 39-year-old African-American man named Anthony Stephan House.

"We can't rule out that Mr. House didn't construct this himself and accidentally detonate it," APD Assistant Chief Joseph Chacon told reporters at the time.

He added that there was no continuing threat to the public. "I do not believe that we have someone going around leaving packages like this," he said.

On March 5, APD released a "suspicious death" bulletin that said, "we believe this is an isolated incident and that there is no continuing threat to the community."

-snip-

House played football for Pflugerville High School, graduated from Texas State University in 2008, and worked as a project manager for Texas Quarries, according to his Facebook page. Friends and neighbors told reporters he was married with an 8-year-old daughter and was president of his homeowners' association.

On Monday, APD reclassified his death as a homicide, warned the public not to open any unexpected packages, especially hand-delivered or odd-looking ones, and said it is working with the FBI and the ATF to hunt down what would appear to be a serial bomber on the loose.
LINK
AggieOO
ChiTownsFinest84 said:

cityagboy said:

tailgatetimer10 said:

Agree but now with the third person being elderly hispanic woman whole different motives now. I hope they catch the sob.

Are Hispanics not considered minorities in your book?

Not saying it's definitely race-related, but still could be some racist a-hole targeting minorities.
cityagboy
AG
AggieOO said:

ChiTownsFinest84 said:

cityagboy said:

tailgatetimer10 said:

Not saying it's definitely race-related, but still could be some racist a-hole targeting minorities.

I agree that it could be, but I think it is either a truly mentally ill person or some nutjob who got screwed over by SXSW or the city and is trying to cause havoc.
tailgatetimer10
AG
Not a good look by APD. Makes them look pretty lazy on that investigation as well. There needs to be some pressure on them due to this.
Frozen Concoction
No worries about APD, it only took a year and some very public taunting by the perpetrator for them to catch the rock thrower.
AggieOO
highly doubt this has anything to do with sxsw.
El_Guero512
AggieOO said:

ChiTownsFinest84 said:

cityagboy said:

tailgatetimer10 said:

I do.

I agree with you could be some crazy nut job targeting minorities or some person with a vendetta against the city.
cityagboy
AG
AggieOO said:

highly doubt this has anything to do with sxsw.
You are probably right but they could have chosen this week as they know the city is having their most high profile event of the year.
Potcake
AG
Quote:

project manager for Texas Quarries,

Quarries, as in rock quarries? Don't they use dynomite or other explosives at those? Could be a work-related incident. Yea, quite a leap I know.
rather be fishing
AG
And now a 4th in Travis Country. What the hell.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.