KBTX I love them

14,018 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by oklaunion
happyinBCS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The top story at 6 today
person sentenced to multiple years for breaking a finger on a CS officer.

The format change is not working, hopefully someday we will be big enough but an hour of this won't give the ratings Gray tv would like.

Merry Christmas, we are blessed to live here.
EBrazosAg
AG
Nothing like having 5 min of Rusty read AI bot national and international news pablum to start the news with a smile …….that was at 5 today. I fortunately missed the 6.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
FlyRod
I love KBTX unironically but I follow their various accounts online rather than the teevee.
lethalninja
https://www.kbtx.com/2023/12/20/bryan-man-sentenced-18-years-prison-breaking-officers-finger/

This is the article for those of you who were wondering
AggiePhil
AG
Story says it was a Bryan officer.
Crawdaddy
AG
So are you mad there wasn't worse news to report today?

Username not really checking out unless I'm misunderstanding.
trouble
AG
Same. I don't even know when I last watched local news.
MiMi
S
trouble said:

Same. I don't even know when I last watched local news.

Same. It is just too painful to watch. I was a loyal viewer for many, many years. Darryl Bruffett was one of the new guys when I moved to CS in 1990. I loved the morning show with Mike Wright and Orelon Sydney. Because of what I did for a living, I was even a guest a couple of times on BVTM. Everyone was awesome on set.
But it has gotten so bad that I just can't do it anymore. I check the headlines online everyday. But the typos and promise of updates for breaking stories that never happen are disheartening.
Aggieland Proud
AG
Sad thing is that no matter how bad KBTX might be, the Bryan Eagle is 10x worse. News media is just such a pile of dog ****.
tamufan
There was a nationally known columnist from the Washington Post on campus a year ago, talking about media economics. Her advice to students pursuing journalism? Don't do it! The major outlets will survive, in some form, but local news is often in a death spiral. Declining traditional advertising revenue, so cuts in staff, so cuts in quality of product, so cuts in audience, so further declines in ad revenue, etc. Attempts to gain revenue by online presence and online subscriptions are an uphill battle. And then there is the ever-present concerns about what AI will do to the industry. I'd love to have data on the total payroll at the various local news operations around the nation, and here in BCS. I suspect large declines especially in smaller markets.
doubledog
I for one want to thank KBTX for the new format. Now I can simply turn them off and I find I have more time and I am better informed.

Animal Eight 84
AG
We moved from lightly populated Podunkville County to Brazos County.
No television coverage and a weekly newspaper that listed everybody by name that was arrested that week & their crime.
No internet providers other than a phone hotspot.
TV News was from Houston reporting the latest 5 murders for that day.

KBTX covering local news in our community is a real treat. I enjoy reading the Eagle.
Brazos WiFi fiber optic internet is living the dream.
All a matter of perspective.
Crawdaddy
AG
Congrats
iisanaggie
AG
KBTX does a great job of covering local and surrounding area community events, school sports, and news. I don't watch the live news much, but I do follow them on social media and read the app for stories.
SARATOGA
Shel is great at his job !

But I follow him on X (Twitter), and he updates that. So there is really no point of watching "news"
EBrazosAg
AG
Kovar as the Friday anchor, pool reports from Houston about weatherproofing your house. What a disaster of a 6 pm news report on a critical weekend. Gray Media should be ashamed. No Shel. No Rusty.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Jbob04
AG
SARATOGA said:

Shel is great at his job !

gigem92
AG
Did you catch the story on weather prep in Milam County where they mentioned trees being blown down and they showed a twig on the ground? I died laughing.
EBrazosAg
AG
It's like watching a wreck in slow motion. No wonder Mike Wright is in Alabama.
techno-ag
AG
Nothing wrong with KBTX. It meets the market. Unfortunately it's squarely in the middle of some of the largest markets in the country and will always be compared to them.
cypress-ag
AG
Folks at KTBX would consider a move to Tyler a career advancement. I agree to appreciate the news for what it is as we moved from Houston and all the news was slanted and biased. Here it's fun to watch for a good laugh and you know the level of reporting you are getting
woodiewood1
Crawdaddy said:

How do you "check out" a username? I have always wondered if my username meets the level of "checked out?"
LOYAL AG
AG
woodiewood1 said:

Crawdaddy said:

How do you "check out" a username? I have always wondered if my username meets the level of "checked out?"

The person he replied to has Happy in their username but seemed to be disappointed that there wasn't bad news on the news. For you if you said you were an ecoterrorist that protested cutting down trees I think I might say your username doesn't check out.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
happyinBCS
Ridiculous
They take away a national broadcast this morning for basically nothing a tiny bit of hail

WHO MAKES THIS DECISION

TOTAL BS !!!!!!!!
maroon barchetta
What national broadcast?
trouble
AG
Gotta be CBS Sunday morning or some other old people show
maroon barchetta
I'm not gonna be upset to have that interrupted.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Thank you, KBTX, for providing weather information to those of us being impacted. It is much appreciated.
Stupe
S
One week: KBTX and the Eagle just echo the national news.

Another week: Stupid KBTX interrupted a national broadcast to inform local residents about severe weather.
Stupe
S
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

Thank you, KBTX, for providing weather information to those of us being impacted. It is much appreciated.
Yep
techno-ag
AG
Somebody is not happy in BCS.
Bucketrunner
National Sunday morning television was once balanced and informative. It has devolved into political propaganda and is mostly unwatchable.
Hornbeck
techno-ag said:

Somebody is not happy in BCS.

<old man yells at cloud>
CoachtobeNamed$$$
I pretty much get all the news I want from the Politics board. It's better than DrudgeReport during its heyday.
oklaunion
KBTX Leading Story online:

" Especially once the warmth peaked in the last two weeks of the month, attribution science added into the forecast showed the warmth the Brazos Valley experienced Thursday has been made 1.5 times more likely to occur in Central and Southeast Texas, at this time in February, due to human-induced climate change. A Climate Shift Index ....."

Despite Shel's table showing 3 of the top 5 warmest Februarys were over 100 years ago.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.