College Station can save money and run sewage through Bryan

67,546 Views | 374 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Roxie146
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No, you can't have her
Roxie146
This morning's opinion in the Eagle is pretty spot on with one problematic statement.

College Station's "right" to go down Rosemary. I do not think that is correct.

If the shoe was on the other foot - BTU serves College Station - does that give Bryan the "right' to put a sewage line along those lines. Remember that this Rosemary sewer does not serve anyone in Bryan - at least BTU serves areas in College Station.

And while we are still in this discussion. Apparently College Station could not serve the FUJI expansion in the Biomedical Corridor off of 47.

Bryan agreed to provide sewage and saved College Station upwards of an $8,000,000 infrastructure investment.
Yes Bryan gets the proceeds but then Bryan provided the infrastructure.

In return, College Station was to help by providing sewer in East Bryan. To my knowledge this has not happened.

Maybe it is time that College Station does the right thing and leave Bryan alone. Use the $8,000,000 Bryan saved College Station and upgrade their own lines.
EliteElectric
All of us who work with the two cities regularly, know that one is far better to work with than the other. Continuous poor leadership and bad budget decisions has left CoCS in a long drawn out bind. If it weren't for the big school CS would have dried up and blown away years ago, they exist in spite of themselves not because of themselves. As a business and property owner in both cities I want the best for both, 2 cities one community, but CoCS needs an influx of youth and ingenuity for that to happen and I am afraid that isn't on the agenda anytime soon.
techno-ag
AG
EliteElectric said:

All of us who work with the two cities regularly, know that one is far better to work with than the other. Continuous poor leadership and bad budget decisions has left CoCS in a long drawn out bind. If it weren't for the big school CS would have dried up and blown away years ago, they exist in spite of themselves not because of themselves. As a business and property owner in both cities I want the best for both, 2 cities one community, but CoCS needs an influx of youth and ingenuity for that to happen and I am afraid that isn't on the agenda anytime soon.
Well said.
Captn_Ag05
AG
https://wtaw.com/college-station-city-council-will-consider-a-change-in-the-route-of-a-proposed-sewer-line-through-a-south-bryan-neighborhood/

Quote:

The College Station city council is being asked to consider a change in the route of a proposed sewer line through a south Bryan neighborhood.

The agenda for Thursday's College Station council meeting includes spending another $87,000 dollars for additional design work.

That would move the sewer trunkline to the backlots of North Rosemary Drive, next to Pin Oak Creek.
Bryanisbest
AG
A sewer line there will run not far from former Bryan Mayor Andrew Nelson's home's back window though it will relieve some of the fears of much of the rest of Beverley Estates.
Chrundle the Great
AG
So their first thought is to move it further into Bryan?
FamousAgg
The emergency services issue didn't become a problem until this sewer line became a problem
Roxie146
True but there is already a BTU electric easement as well as a Bryan sewer line along the creek behind these houses.

So wouldn't it make sense to allow a split of service - let Bryan do some of the needed capacity and send the rest up via a lift station to the existing line that is being abandoned -

So College Station would not need to spend any additional funds constructing a brand new line.
Rehab what they already have and keep it in College Station.
Bryanisbest
AG
Roxie146 said:

True but there is already a BTU electric easement as well as a Bryan sewer line along the creek behind these houses.

So wouldn't it make sense to allow a split of service - let Bryan do some of the needed capacity and send the rest up via a lift station to the existing line that is being abandoned -

So College Station would not need to spend any additional funds constructing a brand new line.
Rehab what they already have and keep it in College Station.

My post was not against what you propose, Roxie.
Roxie146
Just adding info - especially since CoCS is abandoning existing lines. Seems a waste all the way around.

Are they also abandoning the easements these lines are in - giving them back to the original owner? Think not!
FlyRod
I guess I now know what all the digging and disruption in my neighborhood is about, and why, on occasion, there is a whiff of something..."not fresh" in the air.
davido
AG
Snoodish said:

We don't need Houston lawyers to take up our fights…there are outstanding condemnation lawyers in Bryan who would love to crush College Station.

Who locally?
Roxie146
Leave it to KBTX to not quite understand - Last night's coverage on the Rosemary sewer line debacle suggested that the Pin Oak Creek easement alternative was questionable due to possible flooding.

1. Bryan already has a sewer line in the same place - there have been no issues

2. The CoCS plan is to the have the main sewer line go down the gigantic utility easement east off of the bypass. It floods at one drop.

There seems to be an effort to "cloud" the discussion. Barriers where there are none.

Regardless of where the CoCS puts the line, if in Bryan it will have to abide by the terms of the easement agreement. Bryan can dictate terms here - and should.
BiochemAg97
AG
Roxie146 said:

Leave it to KBTX to not quite understand - Last night's coverage on the Rosemary sewer line debacle suggested that the Pin Oak Creek easement alternative was questionable due to possible flooding.

1. Bryan already has a sewer line in the same place - there have been no issues

2. The CoCS plan is to the have the main sewer line go down the gigantic utility easement east off of the bypass. It floods at one drop.

There seems to be an effort to "cloud" the discussion. Barriers where there are none.

Regardless of where the CoCS puts the line, if in Bryan it will have to abide by the terms of the easement agreement. Bryan can dictate terms here - and should.

Does flooding really matter to a closed pipe buried feet underground?
Roxie146
Of course not - it is being used as a smoke screen to ignore the obvious - go down a creek that already has a sewer line in it - it already has an easement, College Station could use part of that easement.
ComfortAg
AG
The Bryan line is not underground, and when they installed it they altered the course of the creek many years ago.
threecatcorner
KBTX showed a bunch of people at CS city hall. They were guessing mostly city of Bryan residents to complain about the sewer stuff.
Roxie146
During last nights College Station council meeting a rezoning request was made to consider rezoning properties on/near Cooner Street.

The apparent plan is to put mid rise student housing in that area.

Is the legacy of this council going to be unmitigated and unmanaged growth?

Especially at one of the most congested highly trafficked intersections in the county.

They already can not provide adequate infrastructure - water, sewer, other utilities to their tax paying citizens. By the way - Cooner will probably have BTU electricity.

Is the best use of this area - even more traffic, even higher "noise" - light and sound - more transient use.

College Station is bursting at the seams with uncontrolled growth. Unmanaged growth. And who is benefiting from this.

Follow the money.

BCSWguru
Quote:

They already can not provide adequate infrastructure - water, sewer, other utilities to their tax paying citizens.

This part is hilarious. But we all know they dont care about the people they "serve".
AggieAces06
AG
CSU's electric territory was set back in the late 1990's based on the City limit at that time. So if Cooner street was outside of the City limit, or if it already had BTU infrastructure in place, BTU would continue to serve it today.

There are lots of areas in College Station, especially to the south that aren't serviced by CSU
Roxie146
The City of College Station will be hosting a meeting to discuss one of the proposed routes for a sewer trunkline in the vicinity of Pin Oak Creek. The proposed route is on the south side of the creek but we have had interest on the potential impacts to the creek of any proposed construction or potential crossings. We have also heard concerns of existing flooding along the creek.

Staff from both the City of Bryan and the City of College Station will be at this meeting to provide information and discuss questions and concerns.

March 20th
10:30-11:30am
College Station City Hall
1101 Texas Ave
Bush 4141 room

In the interest of complete transparency - this was supposedly only sent to the folks on the Inwood/Vine side of Pin Oak - even though the alternate line would go through the properties of North Rosemary.

If this is true - then College Station and Bryan are trying to obfuscate rather than enlighten.

I hope it is not true. The entire community of Bryan needs to know what the consequences of this proposed route is. Any problems in the future will be up to Bryan to fix as College Station will disavow culpability in changing the landscape - creek or street. It will become a Bryan Public Works responsibility to fix the subsidence caused by the trenching and boring of the street as well as the drainage and flooding problems in the creek. Bryan loses both ways.

Bryan taxpayers - not College Station.

Say no to College Station.
AggieBaseball06
AG
EliteElectric said:

This is one of the most accurate things ever said on TexAgs.

CoB doesn't always get it right but at least it feels like they are always trying. City leadership supports their businesses and, especially recently, appears to be trying to actively improve their city.

CoCS seems to almost have an adversarial relationship with its citizens and businesses.
SMR
AggieBaseball06 said:

EliteElectric said:

This is one of the most accurate things ever said on TexAgs.

CoB doesn't always get it right but at least it feels like they are always trying. City leadership supports their businesses and, especially recently, appears to be trying to actively improve their city.

CoCS seems to almost have an adversarial relationship with its citizens and businesses.

Agreed 10000%
FlyRod
Did I hear correctly that the new plan is to not have the line go through the "fancy folks" hood near Rosemary but relocate it to where us "po folks" reside?

If true, I am as un-shocked as it's possible to be.
techno-ag
AG
FlyRod said:

Did I hear correctly that the new plan is to not have the line go through the "fancy folks" hood near Rosemary but relocate it to where us "po folks" reside?

If true, I am as un-shocked as it's possible to be.
I heard it was following an existing right of way instead of creating a new one through eminent domain.
Roxie146
Sorry but you are incorrect - the new proposed line would be via "purchase" of an easement through mostly N Rosemary properties - - with a bore through Sandia Plaza.

Not advocating that either.

Better that College Station rehab its own lift station and line down Cooner and stay out of Bryan altogether.

Bryan say no to College Station.
Roxie146
The Inwood/Vine neighbors have identified continuous flood issues with Pin Oak Creek and are justifiably concerned about anything that happens in that area.

With all the proposed development that may happen up stream of Pin Oak Creek, everyone on both sides of the creek needs to raise concerns to CoCS,TAMUS and CoB -

South Rosemary floods every time it rains hard because of the up stream drainage from Chimney Hill and all the development from the old Albertsons area.

These are the unforeseen and unplanned consequences of uncontrolled growth. You just can not say yes to everyone - every development, every high/midrise.

Do we as a community want nothing but steel and concrete to look at? The sterile manicured look everywhere?

I don't want to live in New York City.

techno-ag
AG
Roxie146 said:

The Inwood/Vine neighbors have identified continuous flood issues with Pin Oak Creek and are justifiably concerned about anything that happens in that area.

With all the proposed development that may happen up stream of Pin Oak Creek, everyone on both sides of the creek needs to raise concerns to CoCS,TAMUS and CoB -

South Rosemary floods every time it rains hard because of the up stream drainage from Chimney Hill and all the development from the old Albertsons area.

These are the unforeseen and unplanned consequences of uncontrolled growth. You just can not say yes to everyone - every development, every high/midrise.

Do we as a community want nothing but steel and concrete to look at? The sterile manicured look everywhere?

I don't want to live in New York City.

I think the new sewer line is still needed regardless of whether more high rises are built or not.
Roxie146
Yes but keep it in College Station. That is how it was initially designed.
duffelpud
AG
A lot of the problems in College Station could be remedied with single member districts.
"What's this button do?"
motherrunnersBCS
So now the plan is to run a gravity sewer under the creek? Can you imagine the issue this will be later in time? Does the EPA know about this?

I do not understand why the gravity sewer is even still a thing here, in the land of expansive clay. Better technology exists that is less expensive to install, has smaller pipes and less chance of leakage. A pressurized system could possibly even allow C.S. to keep this mostly on their own land.
threecatcorner
For those who haven't seen the latest yet: https://www.kbtx.com/2023/03/20/bryan-residents-continue-learning-about-college-station-sewer-line-options/
BiochemAg97
AG
threecatcorner said:

For those who haven't seen the latest yet: https://www.kbtx.com/2023/03/20/bryan-residents-continue-learning-about-college-station-sewer-line-options/

How much more expensive is the lift station option?

At what point do they waste enough money pursuing alternatives that the lift station would be cheaper? They've already approved spending money on surveying the creek. And placing it deeper under the creek sounds like either lots more boring ($) or larger ground disturbance to dig a deeper hole.
BiochemAg97
AG
Nvm

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.