College Station can save money and run sewage through Bryan

68,265 Views | 374 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Roxie146
Hornbeck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I see a whole lot of Bryan *residents* complaining about this, but I haven't heard much out of the Bryan mayor. Maybe that's due to his other issue that's being brought up in the press…?
Bryanisbest
AG
Hornbeck said:

I see a whole lot of Bryan *residents* complaining about this, but I haven't heard much out of the Bryan mayor. Maybe that's due to his other issue that's being brought up in the press…?

Have you been listening or reading Eagle, WTAW radio, KBTX tv, reports of CS City Council meetings and reports Bryan City Council meetings for the last 6 weeks ? Mayor of Bryan has contributed to this effort.
threecatcorner
Hornbeck said:

I think he said something about it (something about hoping that the relationship the mayors of both cities have built over the years doesn't get messed up) right before all the plane stuff started going to 30-something pages on Texags
Hornbeck
That was my recollection as well. Saw a few comments from Councilmen recently, too.

I think the CoB doesn't want to make too many waves, as it may hurt them as they work on a new mutual aid agreement. Also, if the time comes where they need to use easements in CS, they can kiss that goodbye.

Too bad Crompton isn't there anymore. You guys tell him 10 trees will die, and he'd filibuster.
BiochemAg97
AG
birdman said:

Unless I've misread everything, it's not eminent domain.

There is an existing pipeline under the neighborhood in Bryan. It is there because of an easement. That's a legal document that you can read in Brazos County Clerk's office.

When the original pipeline was installed, it might have been 12 inch diameter. Now they need a 24" diameter to handle the capacity. (I've just using sample numbers).

They don't need eminent domain to widen a pipeline. They might need eminent domain to make the easement wider.

It's about 98% chance that agreement states something like "an easement for sewer in Bryan". There are no restrictions on size of pipe. There is no 20 year time limit. There will be nothing that says you can't redo the pipeline and make it bigger. It will be open ended agreement and simple.

It's 2% chance that it has restrictions.

Who has the easement? Pretty sure it isn't CoCS.

Who owns existing sewer lines in Bryan. Pretty sure it isn't CoCS.

If there is an existing CoB sewer line, CoCS isn't just "widening the line". They have to add a second because the waste water is going different places.

I would agree that the homeowners would have very limited recourse if CoB wanted to widen their sewer line. In fact, Texas law says the easement for the city street includes the right for the municipality to run sewer, gas, water lines. Problem here again is it is a CoB city street and not a CoCS city street. Thus CoB has the right to run a sewer line, but it doesn't appear that CoCS has an easement, short of some agreement that CoB allows CoCS to use their easement.

An easement isn't just a blanket easement for everyone for every purpose.

ConcernedCitizenofBryan
I've been following the TexAgs thread related to the mayor's plane incident. After seeing the connections to Rafter D and the Brazilian (Jose Augusto Schincariol) through the Partners for a Better Bryan PAC (where the mayor is the treasurer and used funds for his own campaign), I decided to look at the mayor's campaign finance report on the City of Bryan website. Interestingly enough, I saw substantial campaign contributions coming from Rosemary Street and Park Lane (also in Beverly Hills Estates). I found this website where you can search property owners by street name.

https://esearch.brazoscad.org/Search/Result?keywords=rosemary

I quickly counted over twelve names who made substantial contributions to the mayor's campaign. Two were former mayors and one was the author of the Eagle article "College Station should leave Beverly Estates Alone." Between the Partners for a Better Bryan PAC, and direct campaign donations, I was able to identify over $16,000 in campaign contributions to the mayor's campaign, all with ties to Beverly Estates. Is it possible that some of these residents are using their political influence to serve themselves?

https://docs.bryantx.gov/city_secretary/campaign_finance_reports/GUTIERREZ%20BOBBY_10112022.pdf

https://docs.bryantx.gov/city_secretary/campaign_finance_reports/GUTIERREZ%20BOBBY_01172023.pdf

https://www.transparencyusa.org/tx/committee/partners-for-a-better-bryan-political-action-committee-70166-gpac/contributions
trouble
AG
If that were the case, don't you think they'd be calling for him to make more of a stink about it?

No one is surprised that long term, wealthy residents of Bryan have made political contributions to the mayor.
FamousAgg
"It's a big club, and you ain't in it"

George Carlin
BluHorseShu
AG
ConcernedCitizenofBryan said:

I've been following the TexAgs thread related to the mayor's plane incident. After seeing the connections to Rafter D and the Brazilian (Jose Augusto Schincariol) through the Partners for a Better Bryan PAC (where the mayor is the treasurer and used funds for his own campaign), I decided to look at the mayor's campaign finance report on the City of Bryan website. Interestingly enough, I saw substantial campaign contributions coming from Rosemary Street and Park Lane (also in Beverly Hills Estates). I found this website where you can search property owners by street name.

I quickly counted over twelve names who made substantial contributions to the mayor's campaign. Two were former mayors and one was the author of the Eagle article "College Station should leave Beverly Estates Alone." Between the Partners for a Better Bryan PAC, and direct campaign donations, I was able to identify over $16,000 in campaign contributions to the mayor's campaign, all with ties to Beverly Estates. Is it possible that some of these residents are using their political influence to serve themselves?

https://docs.bryantx.gov/city_secretary/campaign_finance_reports/GUTIERREZ%20BOBBY_10112022.pdf

https://docs.bryantx.gov/city_secretary/campaign_finance_reports/GUTIERREZ%20BOBBY_01172023.pdf

https://www.transparencyusa.org/tx/committee/partners-for-a-better-bryan-political-action-committee-70166-gpac/contributions
It's an upper-class neighborhood. Why would it be unusual for them to make contributions. I can promise you that if my neighborhood was being affected, I would use whatever leverage I had to have the decision go in my favor. But regardless, there have been thousands of Bryan residents who don't live in Beverly Estates that signed petition to not allow CoCS to run the pipe through the neighborhood. I was one of them. When you grew up in Bryan, you certainly don't want to see CoCS try to run rough shod over Bryan.
Chrundle the Great
AG
The petition and situation they're using their influence on is also very public.

This is very different to me than using influence to secure a cheap business deal in the shadows.
Bryanisbest
AG
So, BluHorseShu, is it your argument that a citizen should only make public campaign donations to a candidate when that citizen has zero interest in the candidate acting in any way beneficial to that citizen?
trouble
AG
How did you read his post and come to that conclusion?
BluHorseShu
AG
Bryanisbest said:

So, BluHorseShu, is it your argument that a citizen should only make public campaign donations to a candidate when that citizen has zero interest in the candidate acting in any way beneficial to that citizen?
That is absolutely not what I said. If I had the means to donate substantial funds to a candidate and they win office, then yes, I at least expect a line of communication to them when I want to discuss something important that I think they can help with. They could certainly tell me to sit and spin, but maybe I don't donate next time. Welcome to American politics.
techno-ag
AG
BluHorseShu said:

Bryanisbest said:

That is absolutely not what I said. If I had the means to donate substantial funds to a candidate and they win office, then yes, I at least expect a line of communication to them when I want to discuss something important that I think they can help with. They could certainly tell me to sit and spin, but maybe I don't donate next time. Welcome to American politics.
Well said. The notion that "somebody has more money than I do, therefore they're corrupt" is fallacious.
Roxie146
ConcernedCitizenofBryan said:

There are over 100 residents in Beverly Estates - and now with the Inwood and Vine residents it is even more - that are asking the Bryan City Council, not just the Mayor, to support them in stopping CoCS from destroying their neighborhoods.

Do we need to look at their contributions as well?

Even with your numbers, 12 out of over 100 is only 12% - What about the 88% who did not contribute.
For that matter, again using your pdfs, over 300 people/entities gave campaign contributions. Out of 300, 12 are related to Rosemary and Beverly Estates - that is only 4%.

"$16,000 in campaign contributions to the mayor's campaign, all with ties to Beverly Estates" - out of a total of $183,304.00 is only 8.7% - again where are the rest of the 91.3% of the contributions coming from.
(I'm just adding the totals from the quoted attachments - I did not do the research)

If you are going to tell a story - tell the whole story - cherry picking helps no one.

There is nothing here.

And as a reminder - the College Station encroachment in to Bryan - to absolutely no benefit to anyone living in Bryan, let alone the most impacted home owners on Rosemary, Inwood, Vine and Park - is to help College Station grow and Texas A&M to develop Hensel Park.

College Station is choosing to not to increase impact fees to developers to construct the sewage lines - Bryan loses all the way around. College Station gains in taxes and development.

I would think every citizen would rally around Bryan's Mayor and City Council to stop this very one sided exercise in College Station's vision of manifest destiny.

Bryanisbest
AG
trouble said:

How did you read his post and come to that conclusion?

You are correct. My mistake. Should have been addressed to concerned citizen of Bryan, not BluHorseShu.
Roxie146
One other thought as well

Most of the campaign contributions came before the sewage line debacle even occurred late October 2022 - so the extrapolation of quid pro quo for the sewage line and CoB support doesn't quite fit the timeline.
pacecar02
How in gods name is the sewage issue only being thought of now?

How many times is CoCS going to do this after the fact BS

YOU GAVE OUT THE BUILDING PERMITS

HOW AND WHY DID YOU NOT PAY AND PLAN FOR THOSE SERVICES WHEN THEY WERE INCURRED

CoCS is notorious for this, hell, its probably time to redo Rock Prairie again

CoCS should just cede northgate to Bryan

Hornbeck
LOL. And give up all that tax revenue? I guarantee if they did, Bryan would be digging up streets for sewage expansion, because they want the tax revenue of that high rise.
Bryanisbest
AG
Hornbeck said:

LOL. And give up all that tax revenue? I guarantee if they did, Bryan would be digging up streets for sewage expansion, because they want the tax revenue of that high rise.

But, at least then, the digging up would be benefiting Bryanites. College Sta is trying to dig up Bryan streets to benefit CS.
maroon barchetta
"A high rise is only one rooftop". [/Lord Crompton]
Roxie146
Bryanisbest said:

Hornbeck said:

But, at least then, the digging up would be benefiting Bryanites. College Sta is trying to dig up Bryan streets to benefit CS.
Not just streets - College Station will have to take via eminent domain easements through private property -

AND no one is talking about construction easements - if they can't use the entire street for construction then they will have to have temporary easements in private property - that will also need eminent domain because no one is going to agree to have their yards and trees destroyed.

College Station should know by now that property owners will not sit by and allow this "Sherman's march to the South approach" for a sewer line that does not have to happen.

Once again, College Station is making a choice to

1. Not charge impact fees to the users of the line (we have this on audio)
2. Not force commercial developers to pay for sewer capacity
3. To abandon a line that already works but needs rehabilitation

College Station's approach is to bully its way - a China approach to Taiwan. A Russia approach to Ukraine.

Just because it can doesn't mean it should. Just because it is legal doesn't mean it is ethical.

Might does not make right.

rsa
AG
A few weeks ago, KBTX ran a story about the new CS water tower. Director of Water Services, Gary Mechler commented on the new tower that "This is heavy, heavy infrastructure, it's expensive, it cost money, but this is what it takes to support a growing community." Yet to hear our city leaders on the proposed sewer line they have to take the least expensive route. Seems a tad contradictory to me.
doubledog
This us/them philosophy always amuses me. Bryan is deeply connected to College Station. Many citizens of Bryan work at TAMU. They travel CoCS streets, use CoCS sewer lines etc. College Station is connected to Bryan as well. We are two cities almost in the same place. What is good for one is good for the other. What is bad for one is bad for the other. Get over this pettiness people, it looks foolish to the rest of Texas.

EliteElectric
doubledog said:

This us/them philosophy always amuses me.

Yeah it's silly to me as well. I own property in both cities, live in Bryan but my business is in CS and I have always seen it as "Two cities one community".

Tearing one down is like drilling holes in the hull of a boat we are all riding in.
Roxie146
doubledog said:

This us/them philosophy always amuses me. Bryan is deeply connected to College Station. Many citizens of Bryan work at TAMU. They travel CoCS streets, use CoCS sewer lines etc. College Station is connected to Bryan as well. We are two cities almost in the same place. What is good for one is good for the other. What is bad for one is bad for the other. Get over this pettiness people, it looks foolish to the rest of Texas.

You would not think it petty if it destroyed your neighborhood.

You would not be amused to go through eminent domain.

AND it is PETTY when you have a choice not to do it.

It is PETTY to benefit your citizens at the expense of another city's citizens.

And College Station would not exist without TAMU - so don't preach to Bryan.

trouble
AG
doubledog said:

CoCS should definitely get over their pettiness and not ruin a beautiful neighborhood in the community.
techno-ag
AG
doubledog said:

Agreed. And in this instance, perhaps more than any time I've seen in my lifetime, College Station is completely in the wrong here, and is the one acting extraordinarily petty.
doubledog
Roxie146 said:

doubledog said:

My comments are directed at both cities and their occupants, not only over this but many other "issues". CoCS/CoB could be much more than the sum of their parts. If we could only get over our pettiness.

Stupe
S
Roxie146 said:

doubledog said:

Bryan wouldn't exist as it is without A&M, either.

It would be another Hearne or Calvert on a two lane Highway 6 between 290 and Waco.
BiochemAg97
AG
Stupe said:

Roxie146 said:

doubledog said:

Bryan wouldn't exist as it is without A&M, either.

It would be another Hearne or Calvert on a two lane Highway 6 between 290 and Waco.

That is a little different than not existing. Bryan was here before A&M. College Station didn't. Bryan has benefited greatly from A&M, but that is different from College Station which only came into existence because of A&M.
pacecar02
[There was a trolling post about AI that was removed and all of the posts that quoted the post or direct replied to the post were automatically removed with the edit. -Staff]
Bryanisbest
AG
When other places were competing, it was Bryan businessmen who donated the money to purchase the site A&M was ultimately to be located on. A&M wouldn't be where it is if it weren't for Bryan. It would be somewhere else, not College Station. There would be no College Station.
threecatcorner
Have you seen this? https://wtaw.com/opponents-college-station-sewer-trunk-line-through-south-bryan-neighborhoods-appear-last-weeks-bryan-college-station-city-council-meetings/

Yancy (I think he was the most recently elected member of CS city council, or maybe there are 2 that new) asked why it's not on a city council agenda through May 24 and city manager said it will appear on an agenda once city staff feels they have something to present to council.

CS City Council members aren't allowed to put stuff on the agenda?
Roxie146
threecatcorner said:

Have you seen this? https://wtaw.com/opponents-college-station-sewer-trunk-line-through-south-bryan-neighborhoods-appear-last-weeks-bryan-college-station-city-council-meetings/

Yancy (I think he was the most recently elected member of CS city council, or maybe there are 2 that new) asked why it's not on a city council agenda through May 24 and city manager said it will appear on an agenda once city staff feels they have something to present to council.

CS City Council members aren't allowed to put stuff on the agenda?
This is sort of interesting - the tail wagging the dog sort of thing.

I think in Bryan if Council wants to discuss something it takes 2 or 3 ( - not sure of the number) to get an item on the agenda for discussion.

It does not take the city manager to decide what is relevant and what is not. And why does there have to be something to be "voted" on. Can the College Station council not discuss an issue and direct staff.

Who is working for whom?

I would certainly hate to think that the Council in College Station is only there to rubber stamp what staff decides.

If I were to be allowed to vote in College Station my expectation would be that my Council member (all of them since they are at large) is my voice on managing the city. The Council is elected by the people where as the city manager is only a hired hand and should be working at the direction of the council - the Council does not work for him.

But then I don't live in College Station.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.