College Station can save money and run sewage through Bryan

68,268 Views | 374 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Roxie146
threecatcorner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Roxie146 said:

threecatcorner said:

Have you seen this? https://wtaw.com/opponents-college-station-sewer-trunk-line-through-south-bryan-neighborhoods-appear-last-weeks-bryan-college-station-city-council-meetings/

Yancy (I think he was the most recently elected member of CS city council, or maybe there are 2 that new) asked why it's not on a city council agenda through May 24 and city manager said it will appear on an agenda once city staff feels they have something to present to council.

CS City Council members aren't allowed to put stuff on the agenda?
This is sort of interesting - the tail wagging the dog sort of thing.

I think in Bryan if Council wants to discuss something it takes 2 or 3 ( - not sure of the number) to get an item on the agenda for discussion.

It does not take the city manager to decide what is relevant and what is not. And why does there have to be something to be "voted" on. Can the College Station council not discuss an issue and direct staff.

Who is working for whom?

I would certainly hate to think that the Council in College Station is only there to rubber stamp what staff decides.

If I were to be allowed to vote in College Station my expectation would be that my Council member (all of them since they are at large) is my voice on managing the city. The Council is elected by the people where as the city manager is only a hired hand and should be working at the direction of the council - the Council does not work for him.

But then I don't live in College Station.
I do live in College Station, and that has been my expectation too. Because all our city council members are at large, there isn't one specific one that I think of as my voice on the council, but theoretically I (and other College Station residents) could go to any or all of our city council members to express our concerns about something (like this sewer issue).

I certainly thought they could get something put on an agenda although I am not familiar with the exact procedures.

I don't remember ever voting for city manager, so I think you are correct that he is someone the city hired, so I'm guessing that means when he says "city staff", he's including himself in that group as the head of the staff.

It is very weird to me if he's actually deciding what they discuss rather than possibly just putting stuff on the agenda (maybe deciding the order of items) that city council asks him to include.
Bryanisbest
AG
City Mgrs have such superior knowledge and power that Council people are not confident enough to challenge them even on matters that are more political than financial. It takes a uniquely strong willed and unafraid Council person, who has spent many hours studying the facts, the law and city history, to take on a city mgr in front of the council. Most elected people are afraid to do it. Afraid of looking bad and losing credibility. City Mgrs know this and use great psychology in the art of not losing control of their council. They know their days are numbered if they ever do. They spend a lot of time at their state conferences listening and talking to lecturers and other veteran city mgrs on perfecting this art of control.

The CS City Mgr has them all cowed down on this and he is determined to build this sewer thru Beverley Estates. Keeping it off the agenda for discussion is just another facet of the art.
BobYancy
Howdy this is Bob Yancy. Just thought I'd try to clarify a few things. I'm a rookie using Texags so bear with me if I'm responding to the wrong post…

CS councilmembers can put items on the agenda. I think it's best to have all the data I can on an issue before deciding it, which is why I asked when this matter might come before us.

City Hall staff are assessing routes vs expense for this line, and that information isn't fully collected yet. My question to our city manager was focused on "when" that information might be complete and ready for deliberation.

I hope that makes sense. I have full confidence in our staff at city hall. As a former CEO and health system board chair, I assure you I ask the tough questions, demand accountability and am accustomed to getting to the core of important issues. As a rookie councilman, I have sensed no hesitancy on behalf of the city manager or his crew to answer with all the facts. I encourage you to go back and watch prior city council meetings and you'll see tough questions and straight answers on a variety of topics.

I look forward to deliberating this issue, too. Just as soon as we have all routes identified and associated expenses estimated, we will debate publicly.

Thanks and I hope this helps. Have a blessed Sunday!

Bob Yancy
happyinBCS
Why should there be any discussion or deliberation? This is another city that you want to run a sewer line down the middle of their street. The only discussion should be how do we run the sewer line in our city to accomplish the needed end result.

trouble
AG
Why is a line through a historic neighborhood outside CS city limits even an option?
threecatcorner
BuilderBob said:

Howdy this is Bob Yancy. Just thought I'd try to clarify a few things. I'm a rookie using Texags so bear with me if I'm responding to the wrong post…

CS councilmembers can put items on the agenda.

Thanks for replying to this thread. I really think y'all (CS city council, city staff, city manager) need to scrap the idea of going through Bryan with this and start focusing on options that are just in College Station.

I don't know how they figure stuff, but going through Bryan would potentially involve lawsuits, bad will with the next city (that CS does sometimes partner with), etc. I don't think the costs are limited to just the monetary cost of digging and pipes. Destroying a historic neighborhood is also a really bad look.

I hope you and the others involved in the decision will take these things into consideration.

Also, any chance at all that A&M and/or developers of Northgate properties that are causing the need for extra sewage in that area could be required to chip in towards the costs? Seems like they should need to do that, but I don't think the city requires that type of thing before approving a development.

Thanks.
techno-ag
AG
Go on and build the lift station. Sometimes it's worth spending a little extra money to be a good neighbor.
happyinBCS
Exactly, the arrogance of even having Rosemary Dr in the discussion is ridiculous.
harrierdoc
AG
This is just another example of why Bryan and College Station need to merge into one entity. When you have 2 cities like this, butt up against one another, there are going to be more and more problems.
maroon barchetta
harrierdoc said:

This is just another example of why Bryan and College Station need to merge into one entity. When you have 2 cities like this, butt up against one another, there are going to be more and more problems.

The people on Rosemary Ln probably do not agree.
Belton Ag
AG
harrierdoc said:

Please no. I'd rather be governed by dollar cattle leases than anyone COCS has to offer.
trouble
AG
Belton Ag said:

harrierdoc said:

Please no. I'd rather be governed by dollar cattle leases than anyone COCS has to offer.

Amen amen amen
harrierdoc
AG
I would expect that the leadership of a combined municipality would be different than that of either of the two current ones.
BCSWguru
harrierdoc said:

I would expect that the leadership of a combined municipality would be different than that of either of the two current ones.

Yes it would be much worse. And no thanks.
Roxie146

Quote:

Captn_Ag05
10:51a, 4/24/23

AG

Site plans have been submitted for a new 18-story apartment with ground level retail at University/First/Church. It looks like it will be in two sections and they are extending Patricia St. to the part of University turns off to get to Wellborn.

The apartment will be 208 feet in height, 45,000 square feet, and have 850 bedrooms.
So another high rise in Northgate - another developer, more support for students at TAMU, more taxpayer funds to the city of College Station -

Again - they need more sewer for Northgate and the Texas/University intersection redevelopment (more midrises and high rises)

All on the the back of a Bryan neighborhood which gets no, none, zero benefit - just property destruction.

At the rate College Station is approving these high rises - TAMU is going to be hidden behind a concrete steel curtain - oh - except for South Side which is a "historic" neighborhood.

What hypocrisy.

threecatcorner
Approving those high rises ought to be contingent on the developer being the one who covers the additional sewage, and go through CS not Bryan.
maroon barchetta
threecatcorner said:

Approving those high rises ought to be contingent on the developer being the one who covers the additional sewage, and go through CS not Bryan.

But mooooore rooftops or renters = moooore tax revenue!!!!!. [/CS city council]
happyinBCS
KBTX just said this is on the agenda tonight
tb9665
Just saw that PopStoke is suppose to go into Hensel Park. No wonder why Tamu had no comment.
trouble
AG
I thought it was going into century square
maroon barchetta
trouble said:

I thought it was going into century square

Corner of South College and University is what I saw
trouble
AG
Which is century square, right? I know I'm tired but that's not hensel Park
maroon barchetta
Yes

Unless something changed and I missed it.
Bryanisbest
AG
trouble said:

What difference does it make? Aren't these new developments and high rises going in all along University going to be relying on the potential sewer line expansion through Bryan instead of the lift station in Hensel Park. CS and A&M profits from new real estate value increase while Bryan has to bear the burden of the destruction of their neighborhood.
trouble
AG
Duuuuuuuuude, chill. We're on the same side. I was merely commenting on the guy who thinks this thing is going into hensel Park and that's why the university didn't have a comment on it
Bryanisbest
AG
trouble said:

Duuuuuuuuude, chill. We're on the same side. I was merely commenting on the guy who thinks this thing is going into hensel Park and that's why the university didn't have a comment on it

Gotcha. Sorry
maroon barchetta
Century Square and Hensel Park are both university properties.

I'm not sure why they would need to comment on either.
BiochemAg97
AG
Bryanisbest said:

trouble said:

What difference does it make? Aren't these new developments and high rises going in all along University going to be relying on the potential sewer line expansion through Bryan instead of the lift station in Hensel Park. CS and A&M profits from new real estate value increase while Bryan has to bear the burden of the destruction of their neighborhood.

Not sure a putt putt golf course will place that much of a demand on the sewer system.
Bob Yancy
This matter will be discussed at Council on May 25th. It is item 8.2 on the agenda.
happyinBCS
8.2 states Presentation discussion and possible action regarding an update related to the northeast trunkline Phase four capital project. Can you EXPLAIN ?
Bob Yancy
For anyone who wishes to make a suggestion or ask a question, my email is byancy@cstx.gov and I welcome the feedback and thoughtful debate!

Thanks and have a great day!

Bob Yancy '95
maroon barchetta
Does "discussion" include public comment and input?
Bob Yancy
Yessir/yes ma'am. We have a tradition of robust speaking opportunities and welcome citizen feedback at Council. Just make sure and sign up first at www.cstx.gov beforehand, please.
CEAg78
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

Bryanisbest said:

trouble said:

Not sure a putt putt golf course will place that much of a demand on the sewer system.
It's more of a sports bar with a putt-putt course. Reconsider sewer load in that case.
Somebody has to lose. Might as well be t.u.
BiochemAg97
AG
CEAg78 said:

BiochemAg97 said:

Bryanisbest said:

trouble said:

It's more of a sports bar with a putt-putt course. Reconsider sewer load in that case.

Still less than high rise student housing. Also less than a restaurant with a similar total footprint.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.