College Station can save money and run sewage through Bryan

67,550 Views | 374 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Roxie146
happyinBCS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have emailed councilwoman Cunha twice. I hope other CS residents will do the same.
BryanTexan
Let's just imagine if the roles were reversed:

The City of Bryan is finalizing plans to utilize a right-of-way to trench and bore a sewer line down Lee Avenue in College Station, and then cut through several yards to finish the sewer line on Pershing Avenue.

A few points to consider:

• The installation of a sewer line down Lee & Pershing could be avoided by the City of Bryan with a lift station
  • There are 8 alternative approaches, but the most cost effective for the City of Bryan is to utilize this right-of-way on Lee & Pershing
  • The sewer line would not serve College Station residents, and only benefit development in the City of Bryan
  • Neither the residents of Lee & Pershing or the City of College Station can halt the destruction
  • The residents of Lee & Pershing must appeal to the Bryan City Council to choose an alternative
MyNameIsJeff
AG
rockelle said:

College Station folks need to be contacting their council members. This is a bad look and a "crappy" move by COCS. And make no mistake, TAMU has their hands all in this also but COCS is doing the fighting on the front line. Despicable.

And I know this has obviously been in the works long before the new council members took office, but I had hoped they would have a little more sense. You can't really put a dollar amount on a relationship, but the damage this would do (and likely has already done) likely outweighs the savings. Not to mention the legal costs that I'm sure will result.
Bryanisbest
AG
BryanTexan said:

Let's just imagine if the roles were reversed:

The City of Bryan is finalizing plans to utilize a right-of-way to trench and bore a sewer line down Lee Avenue in College Station, and then cut through several yards to finish the sewer line on Pershing Avenue.

A few points to consider:

• The installation of a sewer line down Lee & Pershing could be avoided by the City of Bryan with a lift station
  • There are 8 alternative approaches, but the most cost effective for the City of Bryan is to utilize this right-of-way on Lee & Pershing
  • The sewer line would not serve College Station residents, and only benefit development in the City of Bryan
  • Neither the residents of Lee & Pershing or the City of College Station can halt the destruction
  • The residents of Lee & Pershing must appeal to the Bryan City Council to choose an alternative

The best way to show how bad a shoe looks is to contemplate having to wear it on your own foot. You would have made a good lawyer, BryanTexan.
Captn_Ag05
AG
happyinBCS said:

I have emailed councilwoman Cunha twice. I hope other CS residents will do the same.
There is a board meeting tonight where people can express their frustration as well.
EliteElectric
We have wired 5 or so new lift stations in College Station since 2017, so CoCS acting like they don't want to use lift stations is pretty rich.
EliteElectric
Here are a few I found with one mouse click. CoCS is still building lift stations all over town.

Captn_Ag05
AG
Roxie146 said:

Why is this situation any different? TAMUS wants to develop Hensel Park for commercial use - more developers want to put mid to high rises in Northgate -

I've asked this before but still not sure. What does TAMU want to do with Hensel Park from a commercial standpoint? Build housing? Retail and restaurants? Has there been any information on what they envision?
maroon barchetta
Haven't heard or seen anything but I like that funky pavilion. It has sort of a Sydney Opera House vibe

Roxie146
Let's see - it has already leased a portion to Century Square Commercial Venture LLC - it is on the Brazos CAD - AKA Midway Hospitality LP, Houston - the developer for Century Square

A 2016 Study revealed a "New Destination: for Aggies and Visitors to Aggieland" - With comparisons to Discovery Green in Houston

Parking for RVs, Restaurants. Ice Skating
On Nov 9 2022 a Presentation to the TAMU Board of Regents (TAMUS) by Greg Hartman COO and Senior VP revealed a Task Force that supposed to develop concept plans - by holding listening sessions with city leadership (what city one might ask) oh yes it's CoCS who is providing a sewer line.

Intergenerational living - think Assisted Living and Memory Care for Old Ags. ( yes we need these facilities but is this the best use of resources??- oh yes and it is commercial - another high rise?)
"Creating a vibrant public gathering place" as long as it creates income to the provider!!
"Attract private investors to adjacent land use" AKA commercial use.

So Please! - don't tell me that TAMUS is not behind all of this. Again - the taxpayers of CoCS are paying for this sewer line to suit TAMUS and the CoB is paying for it in the destruction of a neighborhood.
Roxie146
Here's another slide from the Board of Regents presentation
Smeghead4761
Interestingly, I've also heard the Hensel Park area mentioned as one possible site for relocating the UPD building. The location preferred by UPD, in fact, due to proximity and access to main campus. (The other sites under consideration would, IMO, be even more inconvienient than the current location.)

Wonder what the developer thinks of that?

OT, I know.
Tailgate88
AG
Bryan City Council had a meeting last night and not surprisingly this was a big topic.

Quote:

A special meeting of the Bryan city council Wednesday afternoon began with one hour of comments about the city of College Station's plans to build a sewer line through the Beverley Estates neighborhood that includes Rosemary Drive and Park Lane.

Nine neighborhood residents voiced their opposition. That was followed by council discussion with the city manager and public works director.

Mayor Bobby Gutierrez told the neighborhood residents to continue contacting College Station councilmembers and voters.

Gutierrez also said they are at the mercy of the city of College Station, adding that he does not want to see a lifetime of work by previous mayors to build a relationship between the cities fall apart.

https://wtaw.com/a-special-bryan-city-council-meeting-includes-spending-one-hour-on-college-stations-plans-for-a-sewer-line-through-a-bryan-neighborhood/
Chrundle the Great
AG
What I don't understand is how we're actually at the mercy of the city of college station here that seems insane.

Legally the city of bryan can't do anything or political pressure wise the city of bryan can't do anything since tamu is involved are two different circumstances to me.
threecatcorner
I also don't understand why, if TAMU is so heavily involved, the cities can't tell A&M they (TAMU) have to pay to upgrade that lift station if they want this huge development project that they have apparently presented to their board. I don't get how something that big is just approved without requiring the developer and/or TAMU to make those sewerage upgrades.

City of CS seriously needs to back off of this plan soon.
EliteElectric
threecatcorner said:

City of CS seriously needs to back off of this plan soon.
Agree, but CoCS has a long and predictable history of insanity.
BryanTexan
The following is my opinion, and is based upon conversations with knowledgable individuals and connecting the dots.

It's not about the cost of a lift station, nor is it about the riskiness of a lift station. The proposed gravity line through Beverley Estates is being planned because Texas A&M does not want a sewer lift station in the new development at Hensel Park. CS is following the direction of TAMU - the benefit to TAMU & CS appears to outweigh the destruction of an historic Bryan neighborhood.

Side note: If I am a resident in North Oakwood, I would be concerned as well.
Roxie146
Ok then pay to have it move across Texas - next to the strip center - can't build there - too close to creek.

And stop all this "Spinning".

TAMU needs to put their big boy pants on and accept blame, responsibility, and accountability.

If they don't want a lift station that serves THEIR interests then pay to put it elsewhere.

Neither the citizens of Bryan nor the Beverley Estates neighbors should have to pay for the TAMUS delusions of grandeur.
iisanaggie
AG
Maybe Bryan should nix the naming of Hwy 47 after John Sharp until he makes the TAMU system step up and find a better way to do this.
tb9665
Another project in Northgate called The Everett. College Main and Cherry Street. 8 stories (5 living and 3 for cars). Complete late 2024. How many flushes will this add?

OceanStateAg
AG
The Spring Loop area treatment plant belongs to the City of Bryan.
taxpreparer
AG
OceanStateAg said:

So does The Beverley Estates neighborhood.
maroon barchetta
taxpreparer said:

OceanStateAg said:

So does The Beverley Estates neighborhood.

Never seen anybody eminent domain takeover a waste treatment plant, but we have already seen some surprising decisions with this situation.
Hornbeck
That would be a neat trick… please don't give those jokers any ideas
rockelle
Thanks I was confused as to the destination of the line

Re- Hensel Park I exercise, walk and take my dog there sometime. Never after dark. Sketchy is an understatement. I'm glad there are plans to develop. They just don't need to make CS carry the TAMU water and use what they have.

I'm still dumbfounded that The city of College Station wants all these high rises at Northgate but doesn't want to deal with the infrastructure in its own city limits
Floyd06
Tailgate88 said:

Bryan City Council had a meeting last night and not surprisingly this was a big topic.

Quote:

A special meeting of the Bryan city council Wednesday afternoon began with one hour of comments about the city of College Station's plans to build a sewer line through the Beverley Estates neighborhood that includes Rosemary Drive and Park Lane.

Nine neighborhood residents voiced their opposition. That was followed by council discussion with the city manager and public works director.

Mayor Bobby Gutierrez told the neighborhood residents to continue contacting College Station councilmembers and voters.

Gutierrez also said they are at the mercy of the city of College Station, adding that he does not want to see a lifetime of work by previous mayors to build a relationship between the cities fall apart.

https://wtaw.com/a-special-bryan-city-council-meeting-includes-spending-one-hour-on-college-stations-plans-for-a-sewer-line-through-a-bryan-neighborhood/

This is a trash statement by Mayor Gutierrez. The "relationship" that has been built is that the city of Bryan needs to know it's role and shut its mouth when it comes to COCS and TAMU.

If the Mayor will not fight for HIS constituents then he should be voted out.
BCSWguru
and what role is that?
Vinewood_03
Belton Ag
AG
Floyd06 said:

Tailgate88 said:

Quote:

This is a trash statement by Mayor Gutierrez. The "relationship" that has been built is that the city of Bryan needs to know it's role and shut its mouth when it comes to COCS and TAMU.

I really don't envy the Mayor Gutierrez here, talk about being put in a bad spot just a few months into his tenure.
FamousAgg
Floyd06 said:

Tailgate88 said:

Quote:

The statements all seamed reasonable to me
EvenPar
AG
Troll statements should be voted off Texags as well.
Roxie146
It is not only the non voting, non benefitting citizens of Bryan being asked to support the infrastructure needs of TAMUS.

The citizens of College Station are being asked to agree to an infrastructure project with tax payer funds to support the commercial (read for-profit) requirements of Northgate developers and commercial (for-profit) Hensel Park development.

TAMUS - which has one of the biggest endowments in the world - should pay for this boondoggle. In addition, Northgate would not be Northgate were it not for the existence of TAMU.

It is to the benefit and to the needs of commercial development- and they should pay for it-

Neither the taxpayers of College Station nor the neighborhood of Beverley Estates should be asked to foot the bill in taxes, destruction of home value, and most importantly destruction of the environment.
Floyd06
Not trolling. I just don't like to hear that the city of Bryan is at the mercy of the city of College Station.
Charpie
AG
As a new resident of Bryan, this thread enrages me. Y'all are gonna make me run for office here and it won't be pretty.
maroon barchetta
Charpie said:

As a new resident of Bryan, this thread enrages me. Y'all are gonna make me run for office here and it won't be pretty.

Could you do us a favor and move to College Station and run for office there?

You can make some people on this board really happy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.