College Station can save money and run sewage through Bryan

67,543 Views | 374 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Roxie146
BryanTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sounds like a win-win if you're a College Station city council member, but on my side of town it smells like bad politics.

The City of College Station is advancing plans for Phase 4 of a sewage expansion project that will service Northgate, Century Square, surrounding CS neighborhoods, and potential future development in the Hensel Park area.

College Station leaders are considering exercising eminent domain and use of a right-of-way to run a sewer line through one of Bryan's historic neighborhoods, Beverley Estates, which will trench and bore down North and South Rosemary Drive over the course of a year and a half.

It is reprehensible that the City of College Station would consider exercising eminent domain against Bryan residents, which will not be served by the sewer line. If CS proceeds as planned, this project will most certainly damage one of Bryan's historic neighborhoods, and greatly impact the citizens of a neighboring city that can not cast a vote for the CS council members that will ultimately make the decision.

In addition, Bryan residents were not notified of plans that have been in the works since 2016. CS leaders claim that the letters were mailed, but oddly never reached a single mailbox along Rosemary Drive.

The College Station City Manager states that it is an unfortunate circumstance that the topography and city boundaries align in such a way that this has become a financial decision for College Station.

The right decision is not financial, it's political. Service the growth with a new lift station. Leave Bryan residents, trees and streets as they are.
threecatcorner
I think it won't be cheaper to go the eminent domain route. If they go with a lift station (suggested by Bryan mayor), Bryan and A&M are willing to help with costs. If they go with eminent domain, they'll probably face massive lawsuits, wind up spending a lot on legal fees. The latest KBTX article said there's an HOA for that area and they're unanimous in opposing CS's plan to go through their street and yards. Pretty sure at least some of the people in that neighborhood have money.

When they're looking at the costs, they should look at the total costs including:
will this option involve legal fees;
will this other option's cost be offset by city of Bryan helping them out with cost, maintenance, equipment, etc.

I really hope city of CS doesn't dig in their heels and stay too tied to this plan.

Also, why not make the developers of those Northgate properties (high rises with tons of students that are probably creating the need for additional sewage service) pay the costs of either plan? Should've made them do so before approving development.
EBrazosAg
AG
COCS needs to pivot quickly on this or it risk getting ugly. Lift station expansions are not new nor prohibitively expensive. Use your development fees and come up with a new plan so 50k Aggies can flush their toilets at the same time AND you can save legal cost and relationships with your neighbor city.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
happyinBCS
I think CS should definitely back off and the HOA should call Vinson & Elkins law firm in Houston if CS decides to move forward, I think that firm has one of the best condemnation lawyers in the country. I can't believe how arrogant some of the CS council members are.
FamousAgg
Digging in the street/yards will damage the historic neighborhood?

Lift stations are not rocket science, I don't understand CS's argument against one. I have worked with them before…
BryanTexan
My understanding is that two arborists from Texas A&M have been consulted. The person CS spoke to said there will be loss of trees, but not significant. The Beverley Estates HOA spoke to an arborist that walked the streets. Their opinion was that a 30ft wide trench or boring down Rosemary would be very damaging and many trees will die. If you have driven through the neighborhood I think you would understand why loss of trees is a concern.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
BCSWguru
Its quite humorous the COCS thinks they can just run their city services through another city.
tb9665
Look at the tax records and see who lives there. It will be a long hard fight for College Station.
FamousAgg
tb9665 said:

Look at the tax records and see who lives there. It will be a long hard fight for College Station.

This would never make the news if it were any different
bryanite1974
This has been circulating around town. Uncanny how the sewer line avoids the College Station areas it will serve (highlighted portion) with no benefit to the historical Bryan neighborhood it entrenches through.

View Map:

https://i.imgur.com/VzIqbTl.jpg
rsa
AG
bryanite1974 said:

This has been circulating around town. Uncanny how the sewer line avoids the College Station areas it will serve (highlighted portion) with no benefit to the historical Bryan neighborhood it entrenches through.

View Map:

Heaven forbid that COCS take the line through the College Station and risk inconveniencing rental property owners and renters.
Belton Ag
AG
I'm not on College Station's side on this but the reason they want to route it through that area is the natural fall they would be able to use. Topography is the reason why they're not wanting to run it through any College Station neighborhoods, not some kind of deference to landlords in CS.
happyinBCS
correct but it is another town they are choosing to run it through
Belton Ag
AG
happyinBCS said:

correct but it is another town they are choosing to run it through
I was just responding mostly to the posts talking about "heaven forbid they run it through any CS neighborhoods." I'm saying if they could do entirely within CS limits without using lift stations they would have.
BryanTexan
College Station has an existing and recently updated sewer line that is currently served by the Hensel Park lift station. Rather than replace the lift station, they would prefer to run a gravity sewer line down Rosemary Drive. Updating the lift station is an option, but CS states the lift station requires more maintenance and has increased potential for failure. City of Bryan currently has 25 lift stations in place, with an additional lift station soon to be installed near Rellis. Offers from City of Bryan to support the Hensel Park lift station have been made.
Belton Ag
AG
I know all of this. I'm not taking sides. I just don't think people really understand why they want to run it through Bryan.

agnerd
AG
City of Bryan needs to use eminent domain to take some houses right behind College Station city hall and open up a landfill.
Floyd06
COCS council reminds me of the folks that wear the burnt orange. Walk around thinking their chit don't stink. I truly hope the newly elected mayor of Bryan will support the citizens of his city and fight back against this kind of crap. Don't make us go hood!
BluHorseShu
AG
BryanTexan said:

Sounds like a win-win if you're a College Station city council member, but on my side of town it smells like bad politics.

The City of College Station is advancing plans for Phase 4 of a sewage expansion project that will service Northgate, Century Square, surrounding CS neighborhoods, and potential future development in the Hensel Park area.

College Station leaders are considering exercising eminent domain and use of a right-of-way to run a sewer line through one of Bryan's historic neighborhoods, Beverley Estates, which will trench and bore down North and South Rosemary Drive over the course of a year and a half.

It is reprehensible that the City of College Station would consider exercising eminent domain against Bryan residents, which will not be served by the sewer line. If CS proceeds as planned, this project will most certainly damage one of Bryan's historic neighborhoods, and greatly impact the citizens of a neighboring city that can not cast a vote for the CS council members that will ultimately make the decision.

In addition, Bryan residents were not notified of plans that have been in the works since 2016. CS leaders claim that the letters were mailed, but oddly never reached a single mailbox along Rosemary Drive.

The College Station City Manager states that it is an unfortunate circumstance that the topography and city boundaries align in such a way that this has become a financial decision for College Station.

The right decision is not financial, it's political. Service the growth with a new lift station. Leave Bryan residents, trees and streets as they are.

Screw this nonsense. First....This neighborhood is a Bryan treasure and I've know residents there for 50 years. And No. 2 (....wait for it) COSC should plop down their own money for the lift station. This wreaks of NIMBY by excusing it with physics. Anyway... watching the powers in Bev Estates shut this down is going to be a gas.
Bryanisbest
AG
BattleGrackle said:

tb9665 said:

The more a person invests in a home and neighborhood, the more vigilant and proactive that person is in protecting its investment. Human nature. I'm sure you would do the same in their shoes.
etj77845
Quote:

I'm saying if they could do entirely within CS limits without using lift stations they would have.
Point is COCS should run it entirely within THEIR city limits. They, the P&Z, allowed unfettered expansion in the area without due diligence. It is goanna cost them; I hope a ton of money- paid by the taxpayer of CS. Probably more so in court costs and condemnation payments than a lift station.
birdman
College Station Council appears to be out of touch and overplaying their hand. I can only guess that it was thrown out there as test balloon. Then, if you get Bryan or A&M to pay some of your bills? Even better.

I would like to see the report from arborist that A&M hired. I don't believe for one second that any competent professional would determine that a 30' trench would cause minimal damage. You can look at oaks and they die from stress.

maroon barchetta
birdman said:

College Station Council appears to be out of touch and overplaying their hand. I can only guess that it was thrown out there as test balloon. Then, if you get Bryan or A&M to pay some of your bills? Even better.

I would like to see the report from arborist that A&M hired. I don't believe for one second that any competent professional would determine that a 30' trench would cause minimal damage. You can look at oaks and they die from stress.

That may have been mentioned on this board in the past.
CS78
BryanTexan said:

.........and use of a right-of-way to run a sewer line through one of Bryan's historic neighborhoods,

Reads like CS has an existing right of way through bryan? If so, how the heck did that come to be?
FamousAgg
Bryanisbest said:

BattleGrackle said:

tb9665 said:

The more a person invests in a home and neighborhood, the more vigilant and proactive that person is in protecting its investment. Human nature. I'm sure you would do the same in their shoes.

They have more means to protect their investment, not necessarily more desire
betas2000
AG
Exactly, some heavy hitters with deep pockets showed up to the city meeting recently who live in that neighborhood. I promise you, they won't be digging through Rosemary anytime soon. This will go on for a long time with numerous lawsuits.
EvenPar
AG
BryanTexan said:

impact the citizens of a neighboring city that can not cast a vote for the CS council members that will ultimately make the decision.

And we live in CS and can't even cast a vote for CS Council members that make decisions that effect us. Ridic!
etj77845
Quote:

Quote:

BryanTexan said:
impact the citizens of a neighboring city that can not cast a vote for the CS council members that will ultimately make the decision.

And we live in CS and can't even cast a vote for CS Council members that make decisions that effect us. Ridic!

Reminds me of the SAVE WELLBORN movement ca 2011. Those residents were at the mercy of COCS and lost but helped ultimately to change state law.

I'll gladly contribute to any war chest Bryan comes up with to fight.
befitter
The bigger problem in CS is the city staff coming up with these type of plans in the first place. The council is then presented with this type of nonsense and has to vote on it. CS city staff is notorious for nonsensical planning.
Snoodish
AG
We don't need Houston lawyers to take up our fights…there are outstanding condemnation lawyers in Bryan who would love to crush College Station.
Hornbeck
Like losing lawsuits has stopped CS before...
Snoodish
AG
Hornbeck, you are right but hopefully the taxpayers in CS will start paying attention in city council elections.
drred4
Maybe they should have saved the money from buying parts of the mall and used it for new and upgraded lift station
Hornbeck
Snoodish said:

Hornbeck, you are right but hopefully the taxpayers in CS will start paying attention in city council elections.

Well, I keep voting for folks who I think will change the status quo, but I believe the SeniorCenterPAC is in control

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.