COVID VACCINE

175,998 Views | 1108 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Nosmo
Adam87inSA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
meteorag06 said:

Nosmo said:

Inoculation will definitely be picking up.
KidDoc can correct me if i'm wrong, but I do not think this is an inoculation. It's a vaccine. Meaning you can still get COVID-19 even after your second dose, and still pass it to others. But your signs and symptoms will be much diminished and hospitalization chance greatly reduced. Same think with the flu vaccine I believe.
Not just greatly reduced risk if hospitalization. More like practically zero risk of that.

In the clinical trials for Pfizer & Moderna, NOBODY who was vaccinated ended up with COVID severe enough for hospitalization. NOT. A. SOUL.

Given that, once everyone has had the opportunity to get the vaccine, we should (SHOULD) completely resume living as normal w no masks, full sports stadiums, live music, etc. It is time.
BMo
Second dose done at Walmart, cancelled at Brazos Center. Glad to be done.
BCSWguru
The road sign coming from boonville indicates the vaccine hub is closed. It is in fact open.
TalkNerdy2Me
AG
Sheriff New Mexico onsite at the Brazos Center today. Says seeing this hub in operation is "a dream."

274 shots pushed between 8 and 9 this morning.
doubledog
Adam87inSA said:

meteorag06 said:

Nosmo said:

Inoculation will definitely be picking up.
KidDoc can correct me if i'm wrong, but I do not think this is an inoculation. It's a vaccine. Meaning you can still get COVID-19 even after your second dose, and still pass it to others. But your signs and symptoms will be much diminished and hospitalization chance greatly reduced. Same think with the flu vaccine I believe.
Not just greatly reduced risk if hospitalization. More like practically zero risk of that.

In the clinical trials for Pfizer & Moderna, NOBODY who was vaccinated ended up with COVID severe enough for hospitalization. NOT. A. SOUL.

Given that, once everyone has had the opportunity to get the vaccine, we should (SHOULD) completely resume living as normal w no masks, full sports stadiums, live music, etc. It is time.
Your chances of dying from COVID-19 related illness drops from 0.14% to about (or below) 0.01%. Does that help?
Kbeauty63
AG
TalkNerdy2Me said:

Sheriff New Mexico onsite at the Brazos Center today. Says seeing this hub in operation is "a dream."

I was one of the 274 before 9am
cj774
AG
cavscout96 said:

So, based on the anecdotal feedback on this thread, I know, I know.... the two Texas-based Grocery chains are outperforming the health care conglomerates in actual vaccine distribution.... Let. That. Sink. In.

I work in healthcare supply chain. That actually (sadly) doesn't surprise me at all.

What matters here is what is the organization's core competencies. The business model of a retail grocery store is fundamentally a supply chain business. And this whole thing is a supply chain issue. A hospital however has the core competencies of providing healthcare services, not addressing a large supply chain issue. Also, the retail industry in general is far more developed and advanced supply chain wise than healthcare. Overall Healthcare Supply Chain (due to many interrelated and frustrating factors that are often in conflict....which are beyond the scope of this thread) is far far far less developed than one would think.
cavscout96
AG
cj774 said:

cavscout96 said:

So, based on the anecdotal feedback on this thread, I know, I know.... the two Texas-based Grocery chains are outperforming the health care conglomerates in actual vaccine distribution.... Let. That. Sink. In.

I work in healthcare supply chain. That actually (sadly) doesn't surprise me at all.

What matters here is what is the organization's core competencies. The business model of a retail grocery store is fundamentally a supply chain business. And this whole thing is a supply chain issue. A hospital however has the core competencies of providing healthcare services, not addressing a large supply chain issue. Also, the retail industry in general is far more developed and advanced supply chain wise than healthcare. Overall Healthcare Supply Chain (due to many interrelated and frustrating factors that are often in conflict....which are beyond the scope of this thread) is far far far less developed than one would think.
this does not shock me. What is inexcusable is the lack of foresight to resolve some of these issues in time to have an effective vaccination program from Day 1
aggiepaintrain
AG
Very impressed with the Brazil Center operation when I went Monday.
FJB
theNetSmith
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

They shot straight on past Landing Strip Center, eh?
trouble
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

How freaking far did you have to go?
trouble
Post removed:
by user
aggiepaintrain
AG
oh snap!!

FJB
AgProgrammer
AG
Got our first shot at the Washington County Fairgrounds SubHub this afternoon. Couldn't have been easier. Showed up at 2:15, shot in the arm at 2:23 and driving away at 2:38 (after the 15 minute wait period). You never leave your car.

The entire process is being manned by the National Guard. The young man that gave us our shot said to tell anyone we know to sign up and they'll get in. They have more vaccines than scheduled appointments and are trying to keep their count up so they continue to get more vaccines (demand drives their continued supply). They're just trying to get shots in arms, which is great to see.

aggiemom89
Is there a secret to pre-registering on the Washington county site? I have tried several times and all I get is a blank screen - where do you enter your code to set up your account?
scd88
AG
Well, my wife just tried to sign up but she doesn't have any of the 1a or 1b issues so they kicked her out.

Dang. I'm getting mine tomorrow but she's not eligible. Brazos County didn't it kick her out but I am guessing they will do so via email.
AgProgrammer
AG
For what it's worth, they don't ask about any medical conditions, didn't ask for any proof, etc. They just checked our ID and waved us through. Multiple times, multiple people emphasized "tell anyone you know to come by or sign up". They said anyone could just drive up today and they'd give them a shot. They have more vaccines than appointments and want to keep their numbers up so they don't start getting reduced supplies.
scd88
AG
Thanks.
scd88
AG
Edit - never mind. I got it. Sorry to bother. You've been a great help. Thank you.
AgProgrammer
AG
It's at the Washington County Fairgrounds in Brenham. I would still suggest signing up online and getting your scheduled appt, email barcode, etc. You are guaranteed to get your shot that way instead of gambling a trip. We signed up last Tuesday, got our email on Thursday to schedule for today.
aggiemom89
Unless you are in 1a or 1b, it is not possible to register for Washington County.
BCSWguru
Anyone else have a bad reaction to the first dose? It's almost like I have covid again. Pretty rough.
trouble
AG
We're seeing more first dose reactions in people who previously had Covid. It's the same reason most people have a reaction to the second dose.

Your body already recognizes it as foreign so you have a stronger immune response.
BMo
My wife and I have not dealt with any significant side effects after the second dose yesterday early. In our 60s, both have some health things but a bit of a sore arm is about it. My arm isn't as sore from this one as it was with the first. We are now over 24 hrs from receiving the second dose so hopefully, we will come out without much in the way of other side effects.
JayHowdy!
aggiemom89 said:

Unless you are in 1a or 1b, it is not possible to register for Washington County.
At Brazos Center, you can mark 1b, get an appointment, and then no one ever questions you as you are getting the shot what your 1b qualification is.
Bob2525
Kbeauty63 said:

TalkNerdy2Me said:

I was one of the 274 before 9am
March 2nd, they had processed over 2,000 people! Received mine in the last group yesterday and it is one of the best operations I've seen. Whoever the person was at the entry doors entertaining the crowd was awesome, putting everyone at ease. Be sure to thank every single person that helps you through this process because they deserve your thanks and so much more!
So to everyone working the Brazos Center for no compensation other than the fact your saving Brazos Valley, THANK YOU!!
scd88
AG
Just got done with round 1 at the Brazos Center. Enter from Briarcrest, not the entrance to Target from the feeder road.

They did a great job from traffic flow to check in to getting the shot and then the 15 minutes after. If there were issues on the beginning, they have learned from them.
gus1390
AG
I received my email Monday and was able to obtain my first shot yesterday at the Brazos Center. I thought they did a fantastic job running us all through there with speed and professionalism.
Nosmo
AG
scd88 said:

Just got done with round 1 at the Brazos Center. Enter from Briarcrest, not the entrance to Target from the feeder road.

They did a great job from traffic flow to check in to getting the shot and then the 15 minutes after. If there were issues on the beginning, they have learned from them.

Wife and I got our first shots the 2nd day (Feb 2) the Brazos Center was officially open. We had zero issues. It was an efficient and good experience.

One issue was the sign-up had to have one person per email. I heard some people at the Center complaining. We were mostly a bunch of old people.

The operation at the Center was 10 out of 10.

Tomorrow we are supposed to do "in vehicle" 2nd shots.
watcholady
AG
That stinks though, right? You are pointing out a flaw in the system as people try to honestly get the most at-risk people vaccinated first?

"Elderly and at-risk to the lifeboats first" style of thinking, right?
jeffk
AG
Teachers and other school staff are now eligible for vaccines here in Texas along with 1a and 1b groups.

cavscout96
AG
Except that there are apparently more shots than people, at least in one persons experience.

Since the shots are use it or lose it, it makes sense to get it into as many folks as possible regardless of category.

Herd immunity doesn't care how old or infirm you are, it's all about a reduction in the number of viable disease vectors. Doesn't matter if you're 22 or 82.

So, if they facility has more shots than folks signed up in 1A or 1B, you're now seeing a de facto shift to the next category(ies) without waiting for someone from on high to make a call and losing the vaccine altogether due to spoilage.

If you're a 1A or 1B and you can't get a shot, go to Washington County. It's been shown, time and again, that their sign up process is very effective and timely.

If you refuse to travel on principle, I got nothin for you. Stop complaining about other folks taking care if their business.

For the record, my non 1A/1B folks will continue to wait our turn unless I continue to hear anecdotes like we've seen above.

Wasting vaccine to comply with some schedule is criminal.

watcholady
AG
I agree that it makes sense to get as many people vaccinated as possible regardless of category, if shots are going to waste. I'm glad Brazos County has the "None of the Above" selection for non 1A/1B people to be added to the list.
I hope they will call and email people wanting the shot each day or week, if the Hub foresees that they run the risk of losing vaccines for lack of people. They should have lots of contacts by now. Hopefully Washington County will add that "None of the Above" option as well.

I hope as information comes out about how the organizers are working to vaccinate people, that we will use that information to help others and not cut to the front of the line, especially if we are low risk. It's encouraging to see people exercise integrity, no matter how scary the virus is, or what kind of assessment we are making from afar of how this process is being handled.
radiantstarr
I believe the Brazos Hub has given more doses than they have received from the state. So they clearly are not wasting any vaccines.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.