COVID VACCINE

176,004 Views | 1108 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Nosmo
FlyRod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Reading the KBTX blurb about needing volunteers to administer vaccines and imagining a bunch of well meaning but bored and mildly confused volunteers showing up and wondering where the vaccines are, and when/if they are actually coming.
dubi
AG
FlyRod said:

Reading the KBTX blurb about needing volunteers to administer vaccines and imagining a bunch of well meaning but bored and mildly confused volunteers showing up and wondering where the vaccines are, and when/if they are actually coming.
I think they get retired nurses/emt's / paramedics/military medics (EMT/paramedic). Not "housewife".
jwj
Getting volunteers is theoretically great. The pandemic isn't theoretical. What happens when the volunteer doesn't show? Fire them?did we really think this would be a zero cost job. Why don't we get volunteers to pick up trash? Because we want it done. Volunteers may work for a week or so but not months. Have to bite the bullet.
jim james
trouble
AG
Well, St Joe's is already using Blinn student nurses. Brazos Co isn't likely going to be able to pull them away
AggiePhil
AG
Maybe they could use jail inmates or people doing community service to give the shots.
dubi
AG
trouble said:

Well, St Joe's is already using Blinn student nurses. Brazos Co isn't likely going to be able to pull them away

How about the HSC BSN students?
trouble
AG
dubi said:

trouble said:

How about the HSC BSN students?

No clue but they might be available. I don't know what all they need as clinicals.
Post removed:
by user
nought
AG
FlyRod said:

Perhaps the local "leaders" can call up their peers in Amarillo and find out whether they used volunteers (and if so, what kind of volunteers) to vaccinate roughly 5 times as many people so far as Brazos County has.
EMY92
AG
You can't compare to just Randall County, Amarillo sits on the borders of Randall and Potter Counties. Also, if you include the surrounding areas like is done for BCS, the numbers will get even bigger.
Nosmo
AG
If I was to do a real "study", I would dump counties with similar populations for comparison. The reply was to a poster that was using Amarillo. I chose it randomly. I don't have time to do a comprehensive study.

I don't have an agenda.

I think the county messed up in the initial roll out.

That's water under the bridge.

But right now, by every piece of data I have, I don't see how a mass vaccination site will do much good to until we get a lot more doses per week allocated to 1st time shots.

My key metric right now is allocation of shots for 1st time users on the state website. And we are told that the data posted on the site is more than a day behind, so shots administered to date is likely under-reported.

PS: When the current data shows we are falling behind on administering 1st doses per supply, I'll be one of the first to complain.

BQ_90
AG
jwj said:

Getting volunteers is theoretically great. The pandemic isn't theoretical. What happens when the volunteer doesn't show? Fire them?did we really think this would be a zero cost job. Why don't we get volunteers to pick up trash? Because we want it done. Volunteers may work for a week or so but not months. Have to bite the bullet.
https://www.pottsmerc.com/news/montgomery-county-seeks-volunteers-to-assist-at-coronavirus-vaccine-clinics/article_e7d7ce08-5748-11eb-a208-3745fcbfdabc.html

seems to be the plan in Montgomery County. Also they've been preparing for months and had a plan in place.

Maybe we shouldn't have PAID a guy that lives in New Mexico to head up this project.
nought
AG
Nosmo said:

If I was to do a real "study", I would dump counties with similar populations for comparison. The reply was to a poster that was using Amarillo. I chose it randomly. I don't have time to do a comprehensive study.

I don't have an agenda.

But right now, by every piece of data I have, I don't see how a mass vaccination site will do much good to until we get a lot more doses per week allocated to 1st time shots.

My key metric right now is allocation of shots for 1st time users on the state website. And we are told that the data posted on the site is more than a day behind, so shots administered to date is likely under-reported.

PS: When the current data shows we are falling behind on administering 1st doses per supply, I'll be one of the first to complain.

The data showed we vaccinated a whopping 145 people yesterday. Meanwhile, Washington County vaccinated 500 people.

The DSHS Excel spreadsheet shows that we have 16,125 doses but have only vaccinated 5,880 with first doses and 6,410 total. We have used less than half the doses that have been given to us. Over 9000 doses are sitting in various locations in this county waiting to be used.

Week 5 we received 2000 doses. Week 6 we received 2175 doses. Giving out 145 vaccinations a day isn't cutting it.

Edit: Even if someone were to argue that we needed to hold back enough out of those 16,125 doses to give second doses to the 5,880 who have received first doses (even though the state has said not to do that), that would still leave another 4,365 unused doses that could be given out, immediately.

Edit 2: There are 25 counties in Texas with a 16+ population within 100,000 people of the 16+ population of Brazos County, in either direction (we're at 185,835, so between 85,835 and 285,835). Those 25 counties have vaccinated from 2.29% of their 16+ population to 14.07%. We're at 3.16% and are 5th from the worst (21st from the best). Of these similarly-populated counties, only Guadalupe, Johnson, Midland, and Jefferson have a lower vaccination rate.
Post removed:
by user
BQ_90
AG
Montgomery County will vaccinate 2k in a day.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2021/01/19/montgomery-county-opening-mass-covid-19-drive-thru-vaccination-site-heres-how-to-register/

Guess its just blind luck, can't be because they planned for this event, that's impossible.
bloom
Brazos County residents should be upset, and asking questions about who is responsible for the lack of planning. This isn't some goofball committee planning poorly for a capital project this is some goofballs completely dropping the ball on something that puts lives at risk. No one seems to be taking responsibility, but someone IS responsible.

Everyone (rightly sometimes) makes fun of the medical care in East Texas but here are some numbers from Smith County/Tyler. First number is Smith County, second number is Brazos County.

First vaccine
14,256/6,103

Second vaccine
2255/531

Population 16+
181,426/185,835

Tyler is kicking Bryan /CS butt. Tyler is organizing and saving lives. Bryan/CS is still focused on giving press conferences where they nice stuff about each other. I would be ticked off.
Nosmo
AG
nought said:

Nosmo said:

I don't have an agenda.

The data showed we vaccinated a whopping 145 people yesterday. Meanwhile, Washington County vaccinated 500 people.

The DSHS Excel spreadsheet shows that we have 16,125 doses but have only vaccinated 5,880 with first doses and 6,410 total. We have used less than half the doses that have been given to us. Over 9000 doses are sitting in various locations in this county waiting to be used.

Week 5 we received 2000 doses. Week 6 we received 2175 doses. Giving out 145 vaccinations a day isn't cutting it.

Edit: Even if someone were to argue that we needed to hold back enough out of those 16,125 doses to give second doses to the 5,880 who have received first doses (even though the state has said not to do that), that would still leave another 4,365 unused doses that could be given out, immediately.

Edit 2: There are 25 counties in Texas with a 16+ population within 100,000 people of the 16+ population of Brazos County, in either direction (we're at 185,835, so between 85,835 and 285,835). Those 25 counties have vaccinated from 2.29% of their 16+ population to 14.07%. We're at 3.16% and are 5th from the worst (21st from the best). Of these similarly-populated counties, only Guadalupe, Johnson, Midland, and Jefferson have a lower vaccination rate.
Washington County is showing a total of 1,290 vaccinations to date, as of yesterday (1-19-20), that was posted on the state website at 12:30 PM today.

Allocated is not "on the shelf". The Emergency Management person (forgot her name) said "allocations' this week are available for shots next week. Her words not mine.

Brazos county has been "allocated" 4,900 shots FOR SECOND DOSE ONLY to date.

The last 7 days ending yesterday (1-19-20), Brazos county has averaged 484 shots per day. Daily will fluctuate and data entry is a factor. I'm showing 224 shots for Brazos county for 1-19-20. Nothing to brag about for a day, but I think 7 day average is more typical (sort of like virus cases) as data entry and timing seems to be an issue.

I am using data from the state live DSHS website link on my previous post.

Allocated tab, Administered tab, & People Vaccinated tab are related but I am not confident of timing of data entry and coordination of the three.

This is a good discussion, but I'll have to bug out for a bit. I'll try to get back tomorrow if you have other thoughts.

Edited: Also, the last 7 days had involved a 3 day weekend, to add another factor.

Edit #2: The state has "allocated" 3,334,900 doses and "shipped" 2,456,250 doses. Appears 2nd doses are being reserved.

Edit #3: After spending another day looking at the data, I don't think the "allocated" vs "shipped" have that much to do with 2nd dose reserves. There is no detail on the "shipping" totals for the state (1st vs 2nd dose), just total. And the county has no information on "received". There is a relatively large state allocation this past week, but history to date has about 14 days between announcement of allocation to shots administered, and about 10 days after shipping is posted. Those are state totals. Will second dose slow this down? Who knows.

From the data, it still appears to me that the primary issue is now lack of supply, not inability to vaccinate.

It's also interesting to see counties with more shots administered than doses allocated.

PS: My daughter is a PA in Ft Worth, and still can't get a shot. But she works for a small private clinic.

EBrazosAg
AG
Great Texas company helping Texans any way they can. Doubt a central government distribution center would have pivoted this fast. Both strategies important to getting vaccine out.

https://www.kbtx.com/app/2021/01/22/local-grocery-store-becomes-emergency-vaccine-hub-after-a-power-outage/
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
backinbcs
Nosmo said:

nought said:

Nosmo said:

I don't have an agenda.

Washington County is showing a total of 1,290 vaccinations to date, as of yesterday (1-19-20), that was posted on the state website at 12:30 PM today.

Allocated is not "on the shelf". The Emergency Management person (forgot her name) said "allocations' this week are available for shots next week. Her words not mine.

Brazos county has been "allocated" 4,900 shots FOR SECOND DOSE ONLY to date.

The last 7 days ending yesterday (1-19-20), Brazos county has averaged 484 shots per day. Daily will fluctuate and data entry is a factor. I'm showing 224 shots for Brazos county for 1-19-20. Nothing to brag about for a day, but I think 7 day average is more typical (sort of like virus cases) as data entry and timing seems to be an issue.

I am using data from the state live DSHS website link on my previous post.

Allocated tab, Administered tab, & People Vaccinated tab are related but I am not confident of timing of data entry and coordination of the three.

This is a good discussion, but I'll have to bug out for a bit. I'll try to get back tomorrow if you have other thoughts.

Edited: Also, the last 7 days had involved a 3 day weekend, to add another factor.

Edit #2: The state has "allocated" 3,334,900 doses and "shipped" 2,456,250 doses. Appears 2nd doses are being reserved.

Edit #3: After spending another day looking at the data, I don't think the "allocated" vs "shipped" have that much to do with 2nd dose reserves. There is no detail on the "shipping" totals for the state (1st vs 2nd dose), just total. And the county has no information on "received". There is a relatively large state allocation this past week, but history to date has about 14 days between announcement of allocation to shots administered, and about 10 days after shipping is posted. Those are state totals. Will second dose slow this down? Who knows.

From the data, it still appears to me that the primary issue is now lack of supply, not inability to vaccinate.

It's also interesting to see counties with more shots administered than doses allocated.

PS: My daughter is a PA in Ft Worth, and still can't get a shot. But she works for a small private clinic.

Well, my daughter is in Ft. Worth as well, and gets her second shot tomorrow, so....

nought
AG
https://texags.com/forums/35/topics/3102156/replies/58588243

+77 vaccinated. SMH
cavscout96
AG
Pro tip... You are not required to quote every multi-paragraph post above yours....
Post removed:
by user
Nosmo
AG
Some discussion of Smith County earlier. I got this from the state DHSH Covid spreadsheet for 1/21/21.

I'm not a guru on posting spreadsheets on message boards, so sorry about format.

County..................................... Brazos................. Smith................. Brazos / Smith
Total Doses Allocated............... 16,125.............. 38,750.................... 42%
Vaccine Doses Administered..... 6,777............... 17,346.................... 39%
Population, 16+....................... 185,835..............181,426................. 102%
Population, 65+......................... 21,605 ...............38,833................... 56%
1A Healthcare Workers .............10,756 ...............24,195....................44%
1A LTC Residents..................... 1,278.................. . 2,911.................. 44%
1B Any Medical Condition....... 64,988..................75,818................... 86%

I don't know all that's involved in state allocation, but although Smith is similar population, they have more health care and elderly. .

Considering vaccine doses allocated, Smith is doing better, but ratios are comparable.

bloom
Perhaps Smith is receiving more vaccines because they are vaccinating efficiently and have shown that they will make sure their allocation is used quickly and for the appropriate populations?

All of the charts in the world can not overcome the fact that Brazos County is in the bottom tier for vaccinations. They can publish all of the excuses(lack of allocation,etc) but the fact is that most counties have managed to plan better and overcome or avoid the obstacles. Comparatively, Brazos County residents have higher expectations of their medical community and government than residents of some more rural counties and the people in charge of advance planning let the Brazos County residents down.
Nosmo
AG
You may be right.

But Smith County was "allocated" 4,875 doses in Week #1, and Brazos got 975.

State allocates once a week, so not sure how usage or efficiency would have been a factor, as that was the first distribution. There was no history.
cavscout96
AG
Nosmo said:

You may be right.

But Smith County was "allocated" 4,875 doses in Week #1, and Brazos got 975.

State allocates once a week, so not sure how usage or efficiency would have been a factor, as that was the first distribution. There was no history.
not sure why you are an apologist for BC.

You can spin the numbers any way you like,

for example: Smith have about the same population as Brazos yet they've vaccinated over 2.5x as many people. Math...

BC did not have a plan. They continue to flail about.

Smith, apparently, had a plan, they have done a better job... shocking, I know.

-----------------------------------------------------

Let's ask this question:

one kid comes and asks you for some cash to go to the movies.

how much? you ask.

20 bucks for 2 tix, 15 bucks for food, 10 bucks for a post movie DQ run

here's $30 junior, gas and ice cream is in you, pal.

Kid two comes up and asks to go shopping for clothes with her friends

how much?

Um, I don't know. I'm not looking for anything in particular and If I find something I like, I wont know what it costs until I see it.

here's a 10 for a drink and a snack, come back when you get an idea of what you THINK, you MIGHT buy

shocked face followed by petulant pouting......**crickets ***crickets

Sound about right?
localag242
So guess Baylor Scott & White throwing in towel and saying sign up elsewhere for vaccine with link for all the Texas counties.
Z3phyr
The BSN students will be administering vaccines
curry97
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

A friend of mine posted on Facebook that they drove up to the Waco area to get vaccinated. They are in group 1B and missed the magic Wonka website St. Joe's put up.

So, I guess when Dr. Sullivan says to "be persistent" that means driving 200 miles round trip to get your shots. Got it.

My parents drove to Marlin and got their vaccinations today. Got tired of waiting and called yesterday and was able to get appointments for this morning.
Nosmo
AG
I have stated several times previously I'm not happy about the roll out in Brazos county.

There's all sorts of angles to complain about. Rationing, politics, incompetence, & poor communication, just to name a few.

We initially had very little data. There's a lot more now. Not as much as I think we need, but there's enough now to make some educated guesses.

I'm posting things I think are happening based on the data.

I have seen statements about "vaccine sitting on the shelf" and referencing "allocation". That's just incorrect. it causes unnecessary confusion and frustration.

There's a thread for "ranting" and I'm pretty sure I have ranted over there.

I have sent emails to the county asking questions about the data, but get no reply.

I was using this thread to talk about the vaccine numbers.

I chose to try to figure out what's going on based on data if I can't get a good explanation from those that should know.

If you think I am "spinning", then that's your opinion.

That's for the "rant" thread.

75AG
AG
localag242 said:

So guess Baylor Scott & White throwing in towel and saying sign up elsewhere for vaccine with link for all the Texas counties.

They really seemed to have dropped the ball on this. Inexplicable.
curry97
AG
I agree. My parents are BSW patients. I have several BSW patients out in the community that are still waiting on their "phone call".
Born&Raised
Can we all just admit, that there will no consequence for this first and formost.

Everyone will get re-elected - everyone will keep their jobs - everyone will be at the parade in 2022 when Brazos County is finally done with its vaccines and get the pat on the back and say "way to go - great job - we did it"

That is what really pisses me off - there will be no consequences for this disgusting abuse of power and for blantent favoritism.

I have heard multiple reports that city council men/women - have gotten their shots(both of them) and now strolling through their neighborhoods bragging to HOA people.

Business leadership and volunteer organizing should have been done month ago but ONLY NOW are they putting out a call for help.

Who is gonna pay for this total disaster of leadership?? Who??

Someone has to? Don't they? Or has BC finally gone full "Baghdad Bob" and declared everything is always great here - smile or be punished!
Counterpoint
AG
Will counties get "punished" forever for starting off poorly, or do they get a chance to make up for it?
In other words, since the Brazos rollout has been underwhelming at best, will we always have a smaller allotment?
Goose83
AG
curry97 said:

I agree. My parents are BSW patients. I have several BSW patients out in the community that are still waiting on their "phone call".

Well, you can tell them they're in good company, as a lot of St. Joe's patients are waiting on their own calls as well.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.