Outdoors
Sponsored by

1914 Aggie Ring

51,398 Views | 299 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AZAG08
Crocker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm in if you want help emkat. Have my own collection of Garrett metal detectors to lend and deploy.
brehm14
I was playing volley ball at the Woodlands on 2818 this past may. IT was the saturday before finals which means Aggie rings just came in a few weeks before. A girl was proudly showing off her new ring and while playing it flew off and landed in the sand. It was lost and after raking the whole court and searching for many hours with a metal detector all that was found was bottle caps and pennies. The girl was really cute so naturally i tried to help find it. We left and i found out that one of the guys that was with us stayed an hour after everybody left and he found her ring with a rake. He didn't even know the girl. It just goes to show you what being an Aggie is all about.... and im sure he got her number...
p-wonk01
AG
Go get it!!
frog_killer
AG
I just came across this thread and count me in as another would would be more than willing to lend two hands!

This thread makes me even more proud to be an Aggie!
FightinTexag
AG
Bump!!!! Seriously I'm not doing anything this weekend lets go!
GeronimoAg
AG
I have access to a metal detector I could borrow and I'd be willing to help just to be a part of the effort!
76Ag
AG
I have two MDs. However, I've just moved and I'm afraid I'll be unpacking boxes this weekend.
FightinTexag
AG
Ill bring beer?
Knut
AG
C'mon man. Go get that ring!
Jaydoug
AG
Well? Did anyone go?
BlackGold
AG
I get done with my internship on Friday and have 2 weeks off before school.

I will help if you need it!!
Mhickerson09
AG
Just read this post, and like other would be more then willing to help out in anyway. Really does make you proud to be an Aggie seeing everybody willing to come together to help.
Campfire Soul
Its probably bone dry right now.
AgeofEase08
AG
does anyone know emkat or the exact location of this tank? LETS GO GET IT!
MouthBQ98
AG
Yes, it would be a now or never type thing, since the tank is probably dry right now.

Remove the top 6-12" of soil systematically, and sift it all, and then detect under that.

It wouldn't have sunk very deep in the sand/gravel on the bottom, but would have been buried under additional sediment over time.
igotworms
AG
Wow, this is an epic thread! Hopefully this guy comes to his senses and gets this project done. Looks like alot of people are willing to help with equipment and time! Get er Done!
FightinTexag
AG
My offer to buy beer stands.
BMach
AG
I want to do this
confucius_ag
AG
We might mess around long enough and it will finally rain.

johnrth
Im in! let me know when and Where! I'll get dirty! Coming from generations of aggie Alumn as well I know a ring is the most important thing in the world. I hate to say it and I hope my fiance doesnt see this but if it came down to my fiance or my dads aggie ring id pick the ring! haha
johnrth
Emkat, you HAVE to do this while you can, and now is the time. If you cant make it out there or dont want to make it out there give us the info and I promise A&M rings are important. I lost my dad two years ago and all I wanted from him since I was a wee one was to have his ring one day and now some crazy *** lady who was my step mom and Had zero affiliation with A&M and is from MASS. has it and wont give it up. So when it comes to this I am more than willing to spend hours trying to find it just to reconnect it with your family! Aggie rings should never die just like the Aggie spirit NEVER will!
FightinTexag
AG
I also will buy beer. Just sayin.
Knut
AG
I think those that live close should just go get it. Quit worrying about asking permission anymore.
TexasAggie_02
AG
The coordinates are on page 3. I sent emkat an email (its listed on an earlier page, but lets not spam him). If he is interested now that the tank is most likely dry, he will come back.

[This message has been edited by TexasAggie_02 (edited 9/23/2011 11:47a).]

[This message has been edited by TexasAggie_02 (edited 11/30/2011 4:36p).]
Ducks4brkfast
AG
where is the OP?!
TexasAggie_02
AG
I got a reply from emkat:

quote:
Hi XXXXXXX,

Thanks for the email. I still go to Texags from time to time and caught wind that this story still has legs.

I live in NW Arkansas and was there turkey hunting this Spring. The tank still had a fair amount of water in it at that time.
After reading your email, I called some old contacts there in Henrietta to get the skinny on the tank. You are right, it is dry as a bone, however they just cleaned it out about 3 weeks ago, which may actually be a good thing. The dirt was put back on the dam and directly behind the dam.
He told me I could go out there anytime to dig around, also, come to find out, the land owner is an aggie as well!
It still may be a pipe dream, but heck, you never know unless you try.

My only issue is getting the time to hunt for it. I guess the only thing to do is to set a time one weekend. I'd imagine, show up early on Saturday and hunt all day and just see what happens.

I'll have to get back with you on a date, but will certainly look into it. Where do your folks live?

By the way, my name is XXXXXXX, most folks at school knew me as XXXXXXX

Thanks for reaching out to me.

confucius_ag
AG
Now that sucker could be buried under 7 or 8 feet of tank dam.

I don't think we could get our hands on that kind of technology.

On the other hand it could be laying right near the top now.

[This message has been edited by confucius_ag (edited 9/23/2011 3:34p).]

[This message has been edited by confucius_ag (edited 9/23/2011 3:35p).]
MouthBQ98
AG
It wouldn't be hard to do some test holes or test digs to see how thick they layered the scrapings on the dam and around it. If it is layered 24" or less, a good detector should pick it up.

Now would be the time to stake it off and take a high end detector and work the entire area over.

TexasAggie_02
AG
...and if its not too deep, it will be easier to dig since the dozer busted it up. I can imagine digging in a bone dry tank bed would be like trying to bust rock.
emkat
AG
'02, (or anybody else for that matter) is in the area and want to have a look around, be sure to let me know and I'll call the land owner.

Again, he has no problem with us going out there, I just need to let him know.

The tank is just south of Midway school on the East side of the FM and is easily accessible.
AgeofEase08
AG
How incredible would it be if texags found this ring. Let's go get it!!!!!!
TauChi21
I don't know if this is still going on, but I've been diving since I was 15, and have done some search and salvage work. I'm all in. cjaggie123@ymail.com

Si vis pacem parabellum
OleRock02
AG
I think we might look kind of silly wearing flippers out there now.
thaed137
AG
Everytime this gets brought up I think that they actually found the ring.
Jaydoug
AG
This is pathetic that nobody has ventured yet to go out there...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.