Outdoors
Sponsored by

2019 White Bass Run is Outdoors

55,149 Views | 240 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by wolf2011
Badace52
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I can't see it.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
SanAntoneAg
AG
If I click on the square box in your post I see 17 on a boat dock.
A.G.S.
AG
Got the day off tomorrow so I'm headed out to Newman's.
Don't even care if I catch anything, just excited to get a line wet.
K_P
AG
Haha! You counted! I didn't think to take a pic till I'd cleaned 3- was the best day I've had in years

Edit to figure out how to post a pic from my phone
Badace52
AG
See it now... nice!
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
iPanic
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Anyone check out the Pedernales recently?

Seems early, but I thought I'd ask....

Some are saying March but I haven't heard anything.
Drip99
AG
iPanic said:

AgGrad99 said:

Paddled up from riemers on Friday morning. Caught 5 whites and a few blacks. The whites are there up by the waterfall in the deep holes but u have to be patient. I wouldn't say they are "running" but u can catch them. There were two boats and three kayaks all fishing the same 100 yard stretch. I can't imagine how crowded it will be in a few weeks
AgGrad99
AG
JesusQuintana said:

iPanic said:

AgGrad99 said:

Paddled up from riemers on Friday morning. Caught 5 whites and a few blacks. The whites are there up by the waterfall in the deep holes but u have to be patient. I wouldn't say they are "running" but u can catch them. There were two boats and three kayaks all fishing the same 100 yard stretch. I can't imagine how crowded it will be in a few weeks
You put in at Reimers? Where did you take out?

Drip99
AG
AgGrad99 said:

JesusQuintana said:

iPanic said:

AgGrad99 said:

You put in at Reimers? Where did you take out?

Put in at the launch at reimers, paddled up river, fished, paddled/float fished back down and took out at same spot.

AgGrad99
AG
Ah. Gotcha.

I've considered floating down to 71 before, but am always nervous the water level will be too low in spots.

I've also considered going to Pedernales SP, and floating down to Reimers.
Drip99
AG
You would likely have to drag thru some spots. I have a big rig kayak and it's not fun to drag it but it's doable. It's not a bad paddle from riemers though.
Badace52
AG
JesusQuintana said:

iPanic said:

AgGrad99 said:

I was wading, but the steps above Granger Lake were the exact same this weekend. A few bass are in there in deeper holes with still water, but they all looked like your picture above and they were being very picky about taking bait.
CM
SanAntoneAg
AG
Need some help, OB. There is a chance that I can fish the Somerville creeks for a few hours on Wednesday afternoon. Trouble is, I haven't fished there in about 30 years, so I'm looking for recommendations to catch and release a few (or many).

Should I hit Newmans or Irwin? Upstream or downstream? Not looking for a honey hole, just some solid advice on where to go and what to expect. Thanks!
K_P
AG
I went to Irwin. I brought a 1 man small canoe but didn't need it. I paddled down about 3/4ths of a mile river miles. There weren't many people, I think because of the shape of the river most people don't walk to that area. I was fishing with live minnows with a split shot like 2 ft up from the hook. I caught all the fish down stream from a strainer / fallen log. I got the minnows at the marina by the dam. Definitely recommend live bait if you're looking to catch a bunch to keep. A guy tried my hole with a jig and only caught a couple in the same time I caught 20.
A.G.S.
AG
If ya only have a few hours, go to Irwin.

Newmans is another 5 min drive, then 30-40 min walk in from the parking area. At Irwin you can park right there by the creek.

Just remember to walk downstream at Irwin. Upstream is the WMA, and ya gotta wear hunter orange.

I was out at Newmans yesterday. Got one big male upstream, and one undersized hybrid. walked downstream to try my luck at crappie, but ended up landing a few whites down there. Was gonna keep walking down toward the lake, but I had to call it a day.

Supposedly they started letting water out of the lake again, so as the creek level drops they should move back downstream a bit.
AgTech88
AG
Hit the Angelina in Nacogdoches on Friday. Water still a little high - too high to bank fish - and not much flow. Fishing was slow - ended up with 15 between 3 of us and it was a mixed bag. Most were whites but mainly skinny males, only a couple fat females. Just doesn't seem like the run is on yet - need some good weather or That area may miss it. We also caught a couple big crappie and black bass, which was a nice surprise. Traditionally where we fish, the only thing you can catch is whites when they are running. Guess the high water that has hung around for more than a month had allowed the crappie and blacks to make it that far upstream?
JILAS-79AG
AG
Any luck "catching" WB or crappie at Newman's? I plan to go to Newman;s or Irwin Bridge when rain stops.
JILAS-79AG
AG
A.G.S. said:

A.G.S. (& Others):
Any luck "catching" WB or crappie at Newman's? I plan to go to Newman;s or Irwin Bridge when rain stops.
A.G.S.
AG
JILAS-79AG said:

A.G.S. said:

A.G.S. (& Others):
I only hooked up with 10 (I forgot my ruler, so I only kept the ones that were longer than my boot to play it safe), and I was there from 9AM to 1PM. A few on a little 1/8 oz blue rooster tail, the rest on a white jig head, and a red/white grub. I used a jig head with a spoon on it so I could just do slow rolling retrieves, and not really have to jig it around much.

Hit a few upstream from Newmans (Toward Irwin bridge). Headed downstream about 1130 to see if I could find some crappie, but found a nice honey hole and fished out my time there. Depending on how much rain we get, ya may want to walk downstream from Newmans. At the first bend to the right, the slough is flooded essentially cutting off access to that bend, but if ya keep walking that slough meets back up with the creek and forms a nice calm area. That's where I was hooking into the females, and I wish I woulda been there all day.
SanAntoneAg
AG
K_P and A.G.S., thank you for the responses. Much appreciated!

Is there a payment drop box at Irwin Bridge?
A.G.S.
AG
SanAntoneAg said:

K_P and A.G.S., thank you for the responses. Much appreciated!

Is there a payment drop box at Irwin Bridge?
There is. I don't remember where it is off the top of my head, but I seem to remember the signs being pretty obvious.

The one at Newman's is just to the left of the big white gate.
K_P
AG
Yeah - it's obvious. I parked in the ROW and put my boat in under the bridge and they left a note on my truck saying I had to pay. I didn't think you ever had to pay to go on a river if you put your boat in at a county ROW. I dont mind paying TPWD $4 in the slightest, but I didn't know I had to pay.

Just like you don't have to pay to put in a kayak at FM 1050 at Concan and paddle through Garner, or how anyone can paddle through Guadalupe SP and not be asked to pay as long as they're in the river.
JILAS-79AG
AG
A.G.S. said:

JILAS-79AG said:

A.G.S. said:

A.G.S. (& Others):
I only hooked up with 10 (I forgot my ruler, so I only kept the ones that were longer than my boot to play it safe), and I was there from 9AM to 1PM. A few on a little 1/8 oz blue rooster tail, the rest on a white jig head, and a red/white grub. I used a jig head with a spoon on it so I could just do slow rolling retrieves, and not really have to jig it around much.

Hit a few upstream from Newmans (Toward Irwin bridge). Headed downstream about 1130 to see if I could find some crappie, but found a nice honey hole and fished out my time there. Depending on how much rain we get, ya may want to walk downstream from Newmans. At the first bend to the right, the slough is flooded essentially cutting off access to that bend, but if ya keep walking that slough meets back up with the creek and forms a nice calm area. That's where I was hooking into the females, and I wish I woulda been there all day.
A.G.S. - Thanks for reply. Hopefully, rain is not a "frog choker" to raise & muddy creeks.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Met my Ag student daughter at Irwin Bridge this afternoon around 4. We walked downstream a couple bends and didn't get anything. Walked back up to the bridge. Got a nice crappie off one of the bridge pilings. Fished until 6:30. Didn't catch anything else. We were using jigs.

When I got there a couple guys who were fishing the bridge area left with 4-5 whites. Two other fishermen were about 50 yards upstream from the bridge for a couple of hours before dark. They were using jigs too and scratched.

Driving out at dark saw some hogs at 124 & 1697.
fishr79
I just looked at the Park Alerts for Lake Somerville on the Texas Parks & Wildlife website. Good information...

*Nails Creek Unit is open, but the Rocky Point day use area and some camp areas are closed. No equestrian use is allowed in the park until further notice.
* The Trailway from the Nails Creek Unit to the Nails Creek Bridge is open to foot and bicycle traffic only. An approximate four miles of The Trailway from the Birch Creek Unit is open to foot and bicycle traffic. Equestrian use is not currently permitted on The Trailway.
*The Birch Creek Unit is open; Yaupon Camping Loop is closed. Boat Ramp and Day-Use areas are open from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily. Fish cleaning facilities are not available; please remove fish remains from the park.
BwdAg
AG
I am new to bcs. Anyone going 2/23 in the am?
Drip99
AG
Has anyone been up the guad yet?
JILAS-79AG
AG
K_P said:

I went to Irwin. I brought a 1 man small canoe but didn't need it. I paddled down about 3/4ths of a mile river miles. There weren't many people, I think because of the shape of the river most people don't walk to that area. I was fishing with live minnows with a split shot like 2 ft up from the hook. I caught all the fish down stream from a strainer / fallen log. I got the minnows at the marina by the dam. Definitely recommend live bait if you're looking to catch a bunch to keep. A guy tried my hole with a jig and only caught a couple in the same time I caught 20.
Were you fishing with "bobber/cork" or "tight line"? If "bobber/cork", what was distance from "bobber/cork" to split shot? Did you catch white bass or crappie or both?
1990AG
AG
rsmithtesiusa said:

Buddy scouted the Angelina in Nac. Water is Very high - way above the makeshift boat ramp at Tram. Kills all bankfishing.
We used to wear em out in the backwaters of the Angelina back when I was in high school in Nac.

K_P
AG
No bobber. Just split shot 2ft above hook. Caught only white bass.
osmosis ag
For anyone interested, we went to the log jam above Lake Belton today. Looks like the males have made it up, but few, if any, females. The water is murky, but the action was pretty good. I'm guessing that peak action will be early March, depending on weather.
JILAS-79AG
AG
K_P said:

Did you buy minnows at Lake Somerville Marina?
Is there a place to buy minnows between Brenham & Somerville and/or Brenham & Burton/Irwin Bridge?
K_P
AG
Yes. At marina. Not 100% sure but don't think so. Would love to know if there is
SquirrellyDan
AG
JesusQuintana said:

Has anyone been up the guad yet?
Also interested. I was about a week early last year.
AgTech88
AG
Headed out to fish with River Ridge in the morning - hope the weather hold off a few hours......

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.